• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Roscoe built Surgeon 308

sommers

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just wanted to give a shout out to William Roscoe for doing a build for me.
After talking with William over the phone about the build, we finally decided on a Surgeon RSR in .308 Win. 1995 Palma chamber, 20" Hart, McM HTG, with a Rifle Basix trigger and OD kote on the metal parts.

After gathering up the parts I shipped them off to William an he worked his magic an slapped everything together. The final product is truly a beautiful custom rifle, right up there with any of the other top gunsmiths on the Hide.

Here's some closeup shots from William of the extra detailing work he put into the build:
i5tch1.jpg

and here's a shot of the overall rifle

29w947s.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0251-2.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Just slapped on a Harris 9-13 and a TAB Elite Sling and I'm ready to rock for later this week. I'll post up some after action info, no pics as my camera is busted currently.

If anyone is considering a gunsmith for a build give William a call, he's a real pro an knows what he's doing.
Thanks again William

Re: Roscoe built Surgeon 308

How's it shoot, and how long did it take to build? I've reached the limit of my patience with some of the big smiths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how long did it take to build?</div></div>

About 30 days start to finish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's it shoot, and how long did it take to build? I've reached the limit of my patience with some of the big smiths. </div></div>
I'm taking it out Thursday so I'll let you folks know then how it shoots. Turn around time was very quick, once I got the parts together it didn't take more than 4 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great, but why no safety lever? </div></div>
My finger is my safety
laugh.gif
...haha no that was prior to William putting in the trigger.

Nice build,great paint job!congrats.Roscoe does it again.

That digit called a index finger........... That would be the safety lever.
cool.gif

If the bold is not down and the finger isnt in.........they dont go bang.......
laugh.gif

Cool rifle.

Looks great! I'm sure it'll shoot just as well!

That is a fat profile on that barrel... What is the profile? MTU?

Sweet build!

Can't wait to get my RSR build off the ground!

Parts list?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet build!

Can't wait to get my RSR build off the ground!

Parts list? </div></div>
Surgeon RSR in .308 Win. 1995 Palma chamber, 20" Hart, McM HTG, with a Rifle Basix trigger, standard remington BM

Sommers,
What is the barrel profile? That barrel looks thick. How is the weight. Very nice looking rifle the attention to detail is outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sommers,
What is the barrel profile? That barrel looks thick. How is the weight. Very nice looking rifle the attention to detail is outstanding. </div></div>
It's a Hart HV, profile is 1.200" for 4" X .913"@26 or 28 can't remember

Weight is actually pretty good, little front heavy but not by much actually.

Roscoe care to comment on how to do the highlighted lettering? Black, fill with something then shoot the OD and remove? I know you can pimp it with the gold and silver stuff after the fact but have never seen anything in black for the purpose.

Looks nice. A little extra weight up front on a twenty incher is a good thing, imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe care to comment on how to do the highlighted lettering? Black, fill with something then shoot the OD and remove? I know you can pimp it with the gold and silver stuff after the fact but have never seen anything in black for the purpose. </div></div>
From another thread <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paint and bake the main base color first. Let cool and spray desired area with MEK. Use a very small artist brush and paint the desired area for the desired effect. Using a tightly wound shop towel sprayed with MEK gently, and I mean gently remove the excess paint from the stenciled area. You may have to do this several times depending on how deep the stenciling is.</div></div>

Very nice. Looking forward to the range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice bolt knob. Did that come with the action or somewhere else? </div></div>
It's one of the three that Surgeon makes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice bolt knob. Did that come with the action or somewhere else? </div></div>

Thats the Surgeon O-Ring Knob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe care to comment on how to do the highlighted lettering? Black, fill with something then shoot the OD and remove? I know you can pimp it with the gold and silver stuff after the fact but have never seen anything in black for the purpose. </div></div>
From another thread <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paint and bake the main base color first. Let cool and spray desired area with MEK. Use a very small artist brush and paint the desired area for the desired effect. Using a tightly wound shop towel sprayed with MEK gently, and I mean gently remove the excess paint from the stenciled area. You may have to do this several times depending on how deep the stenciling is.</div></div> </div></div>

Thanks man.

I was going to wait until he had a 12 month backlog to order a build from William. Like Woody Allen said... "I would never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member."

In all seriousness, I think he will be the next go to smith. I have heard a lot of smiths complimenting him saying that he asks the right questions and is dedicated to the craft. Nice rifle.

That is a beautiful stick! Any idea what it weighs?

Great looking gun. That is one fat looking barrel. What contour,#7?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking gun. That is one fat looking barrel. What contour,#7? </div></div>
Hart HV

Freaking awesome rifle. With that length on the weapon it is just wickedly killer cool. Share some range intel when possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freaking awesome rifle. With that length on the weapon it is just wickedly killer cool. Share some range intel when possible. </div></div>

I'm taking it out in a bit I'll let you guys know how it shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjaytuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice rifle!!....

off topic, but your avitar.....is that a watch?

jay </div></div>

Yes, backside of an Omega Planet Ocean

I keep coming back to look at this rifle again and again,man this is the best looking rifle ive seen!William you did a great job man.

Had to cut the range trip short, just started raining like a mofo. Got to shoot a few rounds off at 100 an 300.
4 shot group at 100 was .21 CTC
5 shot group at 300 was 1.08 roughly CTC

Really impressed with it so far, I'm sure I can squeeze some better groups out of it down the line, was pressed for time today. I'll try an get pics of the targets up.

I'm lovin the heavy barrel on it
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sommers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to cut the range trip short, just started raining like a mofo. Got to shoot a few rounds off at 100 an 300.
<span style="font-weight: bold">4 shot group at 100 was .21 CTC</span>
5 shot group at 300 was 1.08 roughly CTC

Really impressed with it so far, I'm sure I can squeeze some better groups out of it down the line, was pressed for time today. I'll try an get pics of the targets up.

I'm lovin the heavy barrel on it
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Hell yea. You havent even tuned the load either.

Hey at the range today, did you get help lifting that big iron? Or was there a stop off at the bone cracker to put the back inlined again. Cheers for the cool gun....