• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Round 5 100 yard challenge - suggestions needed.

MoBoost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2012
Midwest City, OK
www.okshooters.com
Trying to see if there is interest in trying something different in fall/winter for the next challenge.

I am thinking maybe - just 10 rounds, 10 dots, 1 round per dot, average Center-to-Center (Point of Aim to Point of Impact).

Let me know what you guys think, we can always stick to the proven 6x5 format.

Thanks.

Attachments

• targat_v1.jpg
    targat_v1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 29
For fun challenges we glue/tape paintball to a target. 5 paintball with five shots. It's fun cause they pop when hit and explode when hit center. Just a suggestion!

How about mixing your Center to Center idea with a Know Your Limits?

5 targets, 2x on each... 10 rounds max. Standard KYL rules apply.

Trying to see if there is interest in trying something different in fall/winter for the next challenge.

I am thinking maybe - just 10 rounds, 10 dots, 1 round per dot, average Center-to-Center (Point of Aim to Point of Impact).

Thanks.

I love this idea ,bit less expensive to complete , may afford a few extra try's
Thank you
Sean

I have missed a few just being busy. As I recall the previous rules it was one entry per rifle. I now have a AXMC .308 with both the .308 and a .243 barrel. How about allowing two entries, one for each caliber?

I would like a run what you brung, with what ever setup, what ever bipod as long as it's not a rest or vice.

Diego

I think longer ranges would be good to see. I know everyone doesn't have access to a longer range but I'd be more interested to see results at 200 or 300 yards than 100. 100 is too easy.

What about 2, 3 shot groups w the possibility of culling one flyer. Little easier on wallet and ego.

2 three shot groups minus 1 flier plus a muligan and 1 do over if necessary.
6 minute abs, you cant even brake a sweat in 6 minutes, your talkin gouda when its clearly bree time baby.

Thanks.

This sounds fun, also more cost effective and wouldn't take as much time either as the 30 round series. The target posted would work perfectly fine as well.

I am trying to lower the round count to bring up participation (hopefully).

Maybe 2 on each for the tidy 20-round box?

I like 2 or 3 on each but not being able to shoot the same target in succession, using the honor system that is. But no Mulligans or culling, you shoot it you own it...

I would like a run what you brung, with what ever setup, what ever bipod as long as it's not a rest or vice.

Diego

I shoot F-Open from my F-TR bipod - it tracks and levels just as good as benchrest setup and is easier to setup; and I believe current F-TR bipod rules go against the original intent of the class, and definitly not applicable to any sort of tactical/practical/hunting application. I am afraid as long as I am running the challenges the folding bipod rule will stand.*

* Caldwell bipods are $39.99 at Walmart - I've been using them for 10 years, and yes they eventually crap out - but what doesn't. LOL (as a matter of fact the only broken bipod I have is a real Harris that needs to go back - go figure).

How about shooting 5 3 round groups (15 rounds) then shoot 5 closest to the center. Total of 20 rounds

Seriously, if the goal is to get more participation go with 4 groups of 5 shots. In my opinion it accomplishes two things, it is a low enough shot count to antagonize the 3 shot guys yet it is still enough shots to prove consistency in rifle, shooter, and load. It is easy on the wallet for everyone and shoulder for big bore guys. The 30 shots is fun but I can see where it can be expensive and discouraging. The problem w shooting dots is when elevation changes or someone wants to make an entry doing load development they are screwed. I don't have a formal range so my elevation could chang up to 3 times, mabe this isn't a problem for too many others. Also I'm gonna be in the 3s for round 5 so don't do the dots! Who ra!!!!

I'd be happy with a dot drill style - one shot per target format. I'd also be happy with a lower round count. 30 rounds is a lot for me to shoot statically from the prone.

I'd like to see it kept to 20 rounds or less. Four five shot groups sounds good to me. I'd also like to see a minimum range of 300yards. It'd be good to really see how many "1/2 moa at 300+ yard" rifles/shooters are out there. This may decrease participation but would be much more sniperish

Lower round count is preferable. 20 rounds proves what a rifle/shooter is capable of. However, let's keep it 100 yds. Many of us just don't have regular access to longer ranges. Seems unfair that we should be excluded due to no fault of our own. Maybe have a separate list for 300 yds if there is enough entries.

Sadly we only have a 100 yard range here so I will only be able to participate if its kept at a 100 yds. I too would prefer 4x5 shot groups total 20 shots. The dot drill sounds fun maybe you can incorporate it seperately like you did the big bore guys etc. Either way I will try to participate if possible.

Good Shooting!

I like 20 rounds anyway you slice it. Screw up a 30 round set and it gets expensive in a hurry.

That sounds like fun, only problem would be adjusting your scope to center after shooting the groups. Then remembering to adjust it back before you go and try again? Also the target you are showing would need one more big target in the center, or am I missing something?

What do you guys think?
2rmm5g7.jpg

MoBoost, I'm not sure I follow your proposal. Is this a specific target that we are supposed to use? Are we supposed to print it out? Is this all supposed to go on a 8.5x11 piece of paper? Or is this a target that we are supposed to get somewhere? The five round groops will still be scored by size? The one round targets will be scored how? How will the groups be weighted?

Look good to me

I'm in for 3 5shots group + 5 shots center

MoBoost, I'm not sure I follow your proposal. Is this a specific target that we are supposed to use? Are we supposed to print it out? Is this all supposed to go on a 8.5x11 piece of paper? Or is this a target that we are supposed to get somewhere? The five round groops will still be scored by size? The one round targets will be scored how? How will the groups be weighted?

I don't want to "lock-in" the target - but I will provide a .pdf file that can be printed. To keep it fair and if you don't want/don't like my target - you can use any target you want, but since it's too easy to fudge on "one hit" groups - a picture with clearly marked points of aim before the shooting will be required.

The one shot will be scored from the center of the target to the center of bullet impact (in the software I will actually input two rounds per target - one the center of the targets, the other the actual bullet impact)

The scoring will be average of three 5-round groups and the worst one shot group; if you got your rifle shooting where you aiming - that one shot theoretically should be HALF of your worst 5-shot group, therefore helping the overall score.

Sample:
2u44i1i.jpg

Sized:
14c9vzl.jpg

And the scoring groups:
jfjjo2.jpg

Average: .580 MOA

Is this too confusing?

Last edited:
I like it. Moboost what do u think about my scope adjusting problems that I talked about.
29 aholic- ur screwed I have a garage built by a no name builder, kreiger 223 that is gonna kick ass in round 5!

I like it. Moboost what do u think about my scope adjusting problems that I talked about.

I know it sucks to shoot groups with the same POA and POI, I guess it's part of the challenge ;)

I am not even sure what would work the best - aiming square and use the groups to dial in perfect center of the target, or aim center for groups and deal with punched out POA, or shoot singles aiming center first than click it down and aim square for groups, or maybe even hold-over for groups ...

I know it sucks to shoot groups with the same POA and POI, I guess it's part of the challenge ;)

I am not even sure what would work the best - aiming square and use the groups to dial in perfect center of the target, or aim center for groups and deal with punched out POA, or shoot singles aiming center first than click it down and aim square for groups, or maybe even hold-over for groups ...

I'll go shot this today using this target: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxdZBsajKwARdGFxVE03UkwxTkU/edit?usp=docslist_api

I highly doubt that I'll be able to punch out the POA but if by some miracle I did, the POA is dead center of the 45deg squares.