• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Roustabout Jobs

Dirty D

Resident Sommelier of cellulite
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Your moms house
Been thinking about making the jump to the oilfield, my current career is a dead end and from what I am hearing the money in the oilfield is good. Now before you lecture me, I am staying the hell away from the Dakotas and looking more at offshore jobs. Any recommendations on companies to apply to would be appreciated.

Without knowing where you're located it may be a bit more challenging, but typically the classifieds in South Louisiana and Texas tend to have a ton of listings. When I was in that line of work most of us kept up with hiring and layoffs while we were at the bar. If you're any where near that area, just find where the guys drink when they come in and they'll tell you who to talk to.
If not, then try to view online newspapers from Lafayette (La), Houston, Galveston, Morgan City (La), etc.

Eagleford shale play, just south of San Antonio, is a great place these days. If you can get a commercial drivers license, and are willing to work 100+ hours a week, and pass a drug test, you can get hired there these days. After a year, working those kinds of hours, you ought to be making over $100k a year, driving a truck in the oilfield.

If you have ANY sort of engineering back ground, willing to work long hours outside, and pass that drug test, there are plenty of jobs there too, but not driving a truck.

Typically, it's harder to start as a roustabout or drilling hand, and easier to get on with a service company, usually NOT Halliburton, Schlumberger or Baker. Start with one of the small companies, and you will eventually find other opportunities.

FWIW, a guy/girl with a Petroleum Engineering degree, and 5/6 years of experience, is making a LOT more than that. Understand that, working in the oil patch, is unlike anything else you've done before. Hard to get in, and harder to stay in, too many good hands make good money, and piss it away with a DWI, from partying too much. No difference than being a senior NCO though really is it?

You said it Mike. I know 22 year olds making 100,000+ that own new cars, trucks, toys and all that stuff, yet live in a single wide they rent monthly.

I have been in the oilfield for 25 years and I work in the Gulf of Mexico. You want to try to get into deepwater work if you can. That's where the money will be. Trans Ocean, Diamond, Offshore, Noble, etc. There is a website called Rigzone. Get on there and start looking. I can tell you deepwater hands make a lot more money and do less lifting. Maybe not a lot more in the starting positions like a roustabout but after 2-4 years you can be a derrickman making $125K if you are a good worker. The new deepwater rigs are all automated so you really don't do a lot of heavy lifting. The derrickman on my rig does 99% of his work at a desk with a click of a mouse button.

I have been in the oilfield for 25 years and I work in the Gulf of Mexico. You want to try to get into deepwater work if you can. That's where the money will be. Trans Ocean, Diamond, Offshore, Noble, etc. There is a website called Rigzone. Get on there and start looking. I can tell you deepwater hands make a lot more money and do less lifting. Maybe not a lot more in the starting positions like a roustabout but after 2-4 years you can be a derrickman making $125K if you are a good worker. The new deepwater rigs are all automated so you really don't do a lot of heavy lifting. The derrickman on my rig does 99% of his work at a desk with a click of a mouse button.

This is also very good advice. Harder to break in offshore, but if you can, it's very good.

Splat, PM me, where you at? I'm sipping a rum and coke, looking at the Calcasieu ship channel right now. About to sauté some flounder, caught this morning.

This is the way I am leaning, I have 4 1/2 years experience as a wrench bender on uncle Sam's ships keeping everything but the electronics up and running. It has been a few years but I am no stranger to marine diesels, gensets, hydraulics etc. The ironic thing is I spent that time in the service as a machinery tech to pay for college, the economy is such that I am tossing my business degree in a drawer and going back to where I started to make more money. Thank you for all of the helpful replies.

This is the way I am leaning, I have 4 1/2 years experience as a wrench bender on uncle Sam's ships keeping everything but the electronics up and running. It has been a few years but I am no stranger to marine diesels, gensets, hydraulics etc. The ironic thing is I spent that time in the service as a machinery tech to pay for college, the economy is such that I am tossing my business degree in a drawer and going back to where I started to make more money. Thank you for all of the helpful replies.

You shouldn't have a problem getting hired with that experience. Maybe even as a mech/elec in training.

Check with Tesco, CanRig, NOV, FDS or any of the companies building and servicing TOP DRIVES for drilling rigs. With your experience they would love to train for TECH position, you could about work anywhere from Alaska to the east cost on down to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Gulf coast.

Yeah Bro, with that experience you should be set. "Roustabout" is where a lot of guys with zero relevant experience break into the game, you're well ahead of that and should be able to start in a skilled position (after some specific training).
Hell, in the 90s I was on a job at the mouth of the Mississippi where we had a diesel mech getting paid several hundred dollars a day just to be on standby on our barge in the event that something may break.

One thing you have to realize is if you get a job as a "Service Hand", you won't have much of a schedule for the most part. Generally 24 hour call but if you can get your foot in the door and work for a "drilling company" you will be on the same rig and work a 14/14 or 21/21 schedule. There are some service jobs that you can have some sort of schedule but it's never set in stone. Even without a schedule you will usually get plenty of days off... You just won't know when. I thought about changing occupations within the oilfield but I like my 14&14 schedule too much. I can make a lot more money doing something else but I have a family and I like to know when I will be off.
I would recommend getting any job offshore that you can get and will pay your bills. From there you can see what it's all about and get a feel for what you would like to do in the industry. With your background, I would think you could get on a rig as a mechanic and not have to start from the bottom.

I got a call today from a company about a job on a workover rig in Guymon, OK (where the hell is Guymon, OK?). The supervisor is supposed to call me tomorrow for a phone interview. Any idea what the going pay rate is for workover rigs? Thanks in advance and thanks for all of the useful info so far.

DD

Not sure but somewhere around 12/15 bucks sounds about right for well service. I am in drilling, not well service, and Guymon Oklahoma is way out in the Panhandle of Oklahoma. Hope you speak Spanish. I am in Ohio and roughnecks getting 24 bucks an hour.

Shit service rig hands are making 25-30 an hour in the Powder River Basin. Drillers are getting 30-40 an hour. Your area is way behind the curve lol

Just wondering, why you are wanting to stay away from north Dakota? I got my start there in the oil field after the navy, two years after that I was already working overseas, 30 on 30 off. It's all about getting your foot in the door when you can. If you had experience on compressors in the navy check out seismic offshore.

North Slope Alaska is another option, I did the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off gig for awhile

100 hours a week for $100k???? I thought I had it bad at 6 hours a day and $90k Ill never complain again

Ohio is booming now with the Marcellus Shale. Rigs going up everywhere and they are looking for all types of workers. Like others have said, LOTS of hours but pretty nice area. We also have two 1000 yard ranges in the area but you'd probably not have any free time to enjoy them.

Topstrap

Last edited:
100 hours a week for $100k???? I thought I had it bad at 6 hours a day and $90k Ill never complain again

Those shifts are 7 on and 7 off, 14 on and 14 off or 21 on and 21 off. $100k for working 50% of the year is not too shabby.

I got a call today from a company about a job on a workover rig in Guymon, OK (where the hell is Guymon, OK?). The supervisor is supposed to call me tomorrow for a phone interview. Any idea what the going pay rate is for workover rigs? Thanks in advance and thanks for all of the useful info so far.

DD

I would rather wash toilets then do workover rig work.

Yeah but how many days a year do you work? When you can get an entry level job working 6 months a year making 100K let me know...

Check into Southwestern Energy. They're big in Arkansas and Pennsylvania. I've been working for their contractors, which is another viable option in the central Arkansas area, but you're looking at 15ish an hour working about 12-15 hours a day almost every day. Your business degree will come in handy. Have a friend who worked with them for a year in the field and requested to learn more about the actual business and now he's got an office job, has a business degree. I got my business degree and after several months of field work I've gotten an HSE job. It'll come in handy eventually.

Yeah but how many days a year do you work? When you can get an entry level job working 6 months a year making 100K let me know...

Yes I agree that is a good deal for entry level I wont argue that but your not working any less time.. If you working 100 hour in a week that's 50 hours per week with the normal work week for a full time job being 40 hours a week. I work roughly 30 hours a week. At my day job. I do however stay pretty busy with every thing else I do. making grips, doing kitchen and bath remodels, things like that. My 30 hour a week job nets between 90k and 110k a year. It could be more but I have 3 partners..

Yes I agree that is a good deal for entry level I wont argue that but your not working any less time.. If you working 100 hour in a week that's 50 hours per week with the normal work week for a full time job being 40 hours a week. I work roughly 30 hours a week. At my day job. I do however stay pretty busy with every thing else I do. making grips, doing kitchen and bath remodels, things like that. My 30 hour a week job nets between 90k and 110k a year. It could be more but I have 3 partners..

You are missing the point. The OP never asked about making grips or doing kitchen and bath remodels. He asked about oilfield and roustabout jobs and we are telling him about roustabout jobs working "88" hour weeks. You work 30 hour weeks all year. That equals 1560 hours. Last year I worked 130 12 hour days. That equals.... 1560 hours. I am not going to tell you how much money I made but I will tell you it is a hell of a lot more than 90-110K Net. Sure I was away from home for 130 days. But I was home the other 235 days spending quality time with the family doing whatever I wanted and as much time as I wanted at the range.

With your experience you may be able to get into a "Subsea" position on an offshore deep water rig. I know Transocean likes to hire ex-military (especially navy guys) for these positions, to work on the subsea BOP - basically an extremely well paid mechanic.

That's what i would look into with your experience. Check out transoceans website and go to any job fairs where they are recruiting at, and Inquire about "subsea" positions.

You are missing the point. The OP never asked about making grips or doing kitchen and bath remodels. He asked about oilfield and roustabout jobs and we are telling him about roustabout jobs working "88" hour weeks. You work 30 hour weeks all year. That equals 1560 hours. Last year I worked 130 12 hour days. That equals.... 1560 hours. I am not going to tell you how much money I made but I will tell you it is a hell of a lot more than 90-110K Net. Sure I was away from home for 130 days. But I was home the other 235 days spending quality time with the family doing whatever I wanted and as much time as I wanted at the range.

Around my house, the absolute best to-die-for 40 hr/wk jobs will net you about 40-50k/yr MAX unless you're a doctor or lawyer. And those jobs are few and far between. Most are 30k or less. The oilfield on the other hand allows a HS grad to make 6 figures and still have 6 months/yr off to spend QUALITY time with the family, not just nights/weekends. All that overtime above 40 hr/wk is where the real money is made, and the insurance/retirement is much better than most any local business can provide. If you are working 30 hr/wk and making 6 figures then you are doing quite well and by all means should continue to do so, but the majority of folks don't have that kind of option available.

You nailed it. I may spend 3-4 months away from home at a time, but I really don't need to work more than 3-4 months a year and I do well.

I'm not missing the point at all. My original post was simply that I will not complain about my hours or my pay. I'm simply not into that type of work scheduled or work The jobs in question are great pay and hard work and that is awesome! for those that like that kind of work. My fallowing statement was simply that the minimal amount of hours that I work doing what I love. Allows me to pursue other interests and things that I enjoy. Creating quite a bit more income on top of my day job. What I really enjoy is if I wake up in the morning and just don't feel like going to work that day I don't have to. I don't have to call any one or make an excuse I just stay home. I don't have to piss in a cup. I don't drink, do drugs or smoke. So that really does not matter. My point is basically I do what I want and i love it.

If you like that kind of work schedule and that kind of work that this is an excellent opportunity. I personally don't so I won't complain about my hours or pay..

What I really enjoy is if I wake up in the morning and just don't feel like going to work that day I don't have to. I don't have to call any one or make an excuse I just stay home. I don't have to piss in a cup. I don't drink, do drugs or smoke. So that really does not matter. My point is basically I do what I want and i love it.

OK Senior Polite, I will follow your rabbit trail. What type of work do you do that requires 30 hrs a week and gives you so much latitude?

I am meeting a recruiter for a wireline operator/ driver job tomorrow, can anybody tell me what entry level pay for a wireline operator/ driver is and what area it is for? Thank all of you for your info so far.

Good luck on the interview DD, my first oilfield job was with a wireline company. $20 bucks a hour, 19 days on 2 off, 90+ hours a week, OT ( 1 1/2 x base hourly ) for everything over 40 hours. That was in 1982, Texas. Good times, I caught up on a lot of bills, post college. Perfect job for me at the time, learned a lot, and helped me a lot in the future.

By the way, a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, didn't make you $30k a year in 1982, just out of school.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
You guys know of any medical folks working in those areas?
"Medical folks" = what? Phlebotomist? Neurosurgeon? ND towns are starving for medical staff of any kind, but I expect Texas/Ohio and other civilized plays not so much.

I dropped out of medical school to come earn real money in the oilfield. :) OK, that's an exaggeration. And an oversimplification. But still a fairly accurate generalization.

Wanna work in a mobile piss test lab?
What does it pay. I have no qualms doing some of the dirty work. I was hoping for some thing more along the lines of EMS. I am very qualified and almost over for many of the jobs.

What does it pay. I have no qualms doing some of the dirty work. I was hoping for some thing more along the lines of EMS. I am very qualified and almost over for many of the jobs.

That would be a rig medic but I don't know what they make.

Dirty D - seriously look into getting into subsea. Once you reach senior, you are the highest paid guy on an offshore deepwater rig. Starting salary is nothing to complain about either. Much better work schedule than wireline operator, similar pay until you move up.

I think you would be making a mistake not looking into it...

Dirty D - seriously look into getting into subsea. Once you reach senior, you are the highest paid guy on an offshore deepwater rig. Starting salary is nothing to complain about either. Much better work schedule than wireline operator, similar pay until you move up.

I think you would be making a mistake not looking into it...

My oldest brother has his GED and makes more than a lot of MBA's, he has been doing subsea wellhead work all over the world since 1976. He advised me to get my foot in the door in drilling, workover or wireline and get a few years experience and then start applying for subsea jobs.

My oldest brother has his GED and makes more than a lot of MBA's, he has been doing subsea wellhead work all over the world since 1976. He advised me to get my foot in the door in drilling, workover or wireline and get a few years experience and then start applying for subsea jobs.

What's his reasoning for that?

And the position I am referring to is a subsea member of the drilling rig - they are looking for people with your experience.

In all honesty, wireline would be a very boring gig IMO. Good money, sure, but not very stimulating and a horrible work schedule.

I'm just telling you what I would do if I had your experience/background, as a guy who has worked over the world on workover, drilling and completions operations.

Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm glad you have seen the listings. When some one chimes back usually its someone who is doing that kind of work. THEY KNOW WHAT IT PAYS! I haven't yet seen a listing where it quotes numbers, have you??? I would think someone with a 750 post count would have something intelligent to post on. I guess that would be to much to hope for.

I'm glad you have seen the listings. When some one chimes back usually its someone who is doing that kind of work. THEY KNOW WHAT IT PAYS! I haven't yet seen a listing where it quotes numbers, have you??? I would think someone with a 750 post count would have something intelligent to post on. I guess that would be to much to hope for.

A rig medic job, although far from the highest paying job on the rig, will probably pay better than working on an ambulance locally. Problem is, you'll probably have to go offshore to do it. I THINK all the land operations rely on the local medical services. And many rigs/companies use contract medics from onshore companies like Acadian Ambulance Service. If you can land a rig medic job with a company that hires their own medics that would be the way to go.

All the companies are highly secretive about how much their various job positions pay nowdays. Back in the day, ('90's) if I wanted to know the pay scale all I had to do was go to the galley and look on the bulletin board. Not so much now. If you do get an hourly figure, remember that you work 12/hrs a day 7 days/wk. 40 reg hrs and 44 OT hrs at time and a half. Then they give you at least 2 hrs a week to cover safety meetings etc. So-86 hrs a week.
You can figure weekly gross pay quickly by multiplying your hourly rate X 109. Then multiply the result by 26 to get yearly.

If you make 15.00/hr (which is considerably lower than any position on my rig) then:
15 X 109 = 1635
1635 X 26 weeks/yr = 42,510.00/yr. Far more than you would make a year @ 15 bucks/40 hrs a week.

Consider the fact that Roustabouts offshore are bumping 20 bucks/hr, and entry level positions offshore will wind up paying a lot more per year than many skilled positions at home.

Offshore work (or any work that requires you to be away for extended periods) demands a lot from your family. Your wife will have to be faithful, strong willed and self sufficient enough to take care of everything while you're away. BUT, you will also find that when you're home you have far more QUALITY time to spend with the wife/kids than you ever had when working day in/day out at home.

Bitch bitch bitch. Just Google it you crybaby. You want me to submit your resume and do your interview as well?

Thx for the info, I have an interview with a wireline/ logging outfit tomorrow and a Frac outfit next Thurs.