• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision RPNVG - Dual Tube Panos for the Poors

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    So… FedEx arrived at 0930 Saturday morning with a couple of toys from Jay at SureShot NV.

A brand new set of RPNVG Dual Toob Panos and a Jerry CE5 640 COTI that uses the remote battery pack.

56A385C3-8FBD-44FC-823D-B1F078E5F953.jpeg

We’ll deal with the CE5 afterward, and compare it directly to the 320 PAS-29A and newer 640 O1 eCOTI, but until then…

These RPNVGs were built with RPO optics front and rear, so I would imagine that reduces overall weight by 2-3 ounces, making the RPNVGs weigh-in at only 17.6 ounces, or just over a pound.

My initial surprise is how well built they are. I figured the thing that makes them “special” is also what would make them more fragile. I’m glad I am wrong on that assumption.

Next to a set of L3 WP BNVD-UL SG:
    845D1484-416B-4764-94EB-A1221DBE5EC9.jpeg

The contender weigh-in:
    D9C27811-6127-4861-9166-60B87EF065FD.jpeg

E03D7708-68A3-4DEF-AE61-DD4AD5C72653.jpeg

Of course, here’s “The Big Thing” that makes the RPNVGs so unique:
    FCA8A333-8E60-4609-9AC7-6D285CBF1907.jpeg

A7F2F258-F387-4B1C-8A64-7F5A80F18E9D.jpeg

D91CFD6B-63C9-4107-A63A-F9E22C39973A.jpeg

More to come…

Last edited:
    Definitely need to spend some real time behind the RPs. The “Pano” trick isn’t nearly as seamless or unobtrusive as it is on GPNVGs. If you slightly offset them, your brain objects only a little and you get used to them quickly. I’d estimate about 50-55° FOV — adding about 10-15° FOV to the standard 40° FOV. If you really try to stretch them to 60° or more my brain immediately objects to what looks like an assymetrical overlap in the middle of the image.

It could just be my 55-year-old aging brain lacks the plasticity to quickly adapt, or maybe it won’t adapt at all. We’ll see.

The on/off is virtually instant. There is no manual gain, unfortunately. The onboard infrared illuminator is actually pretty good and fills an average room with soft, even light.

They’re built very well and I have zero concerns about durability. I don’t see myself fiddling with the panoramic adjustment much, so wear of the fulcrum over time won’t be a problem. I’m going to see if it works with a 31A external battery pack.

The Jerry CE5 COTI is installed, and I like that it uses dual 18650’s. The LEMO cable is too short and on the stiff side, so I can’t run it and flip the G24 up and down like usual, which sucks a little.

It would have been cool if they figured out how to have the pano hinge in such a spot on the tubes that the IPD doesn’t get halved when you point them outward. I think I saw Jay on Instagram talking about some 3000+ FOM RPNVGs he built, are these that pair?

Reactions: TheHorta
    The Jerry CE5 COTI is installed, and I like that it uses dual 18650’s. The LEMO cable is too short and on the stiff side, so I can’t run it and flip the G24 up and down like usual, which sucks a little.
    Seems like this would be a weird platform to try a coti on, since I'd assume the thermal image wouldn't be perceived by the brain as in the middle of the image if you run these in the wider position... Curious how that works out for you

Also interested in Horta’s full thoughts on the Jerry, I have been planning to buy one once my new LLUL-21s are united with the L3 tubes I just bought, but not thrilled with that comment about not being able to flip up your nods with it installed.

That looks like a sweet setup, always impressed with TheHorta's kits. Out of curiosity, can someone help edumacate me on how this is "better" than setting up your own dual tube setup with two PVS-14's?

It would have been cool if they figured out how to have the pano hinge in such a spot on the tubes that the IPD doesn’t get halved when you point them outward. I think I saw Jay on Instagram talking about some 3000+ FOM RPNVGs he built, are these that pair?

Yeah, >3000 FOM with RPO optics.

You’re right on the hinge. I’m going to have to spend some time behind them and keep gradually pushing them farther apart. My first impression when splitting them is “Ugh, that doesn’t look right.”

I’m hopeful that it’s just me and time will make it better.

Reactions: Conqueror
    It's a more "refined" system compared to two 14s and a pano bridge. Everything was purpose built to integrate as a single system. At 17 oz with RPOs; its a metal/aluminum housing. Which is nothing to sneeze at. The individual pods also can be "popped" off and separate power modules can be used to have the pods act as monoculars.

But in the grand scheme of things, does it offer any better functionality over two 14s and a panobridge? No it does not.

Is it sexy as faque and let's you "flex on them poors" 100%

• Love
    That looks like a sweet setup, always impressed with TheHorta's kits. Out of curiosity, can someone help edumacate me on how this is "better" than setting up your own dual tube setup with two PVS-14's?

You can duplicate the RPs with twin 14’s and a NF Panobridge. It’ll just weigh significantly more and won’t be as robust.

Also interested in Horta’s full thoughts on the Jerry, I have been planning to buy one once my new LLUL-21s are united with the L3 tubes I just bought, but not thrilled with that comment about not being able to flip up your nods with it installed.
    There are some things about the Jerry-CE5 that I’m not impressed with. The eCOTI is definitely a better option, but it’s over double the price without being nearly twice as good.

I will say that I wasn’t initially impressed with my Jerry-F fusion monocular, but it has grown on me over time. The biggest persistent problem with the F is the mount — it’s junk and has a very fragile, wonky coiled cable that is begging for trouble. While it looks a lot like a standard PSQ-20 INVG-style mount, it is built like we’d expect something from Chynah. Trash.

The outline mode on the CE5 sucks. Full thermal mode lowest setting is not low enough. “Patrol” mode works, and that’s where it’ll spend most of its time, but it behaves oddly. There are no “deep” menu settings on the CE5 like on the eCOTI, which are very helpful. Also, and this could be an RPO thing, but there is noticeable light wash/flare. Going to check it against a factory L3 2376 PVS-14 tonight.

Jury is definitely still out on the CE5.

Not so on the RPNVGs. Versus a set of 31A’s or DTNVS, you lose nothing (albeit manual gain on the 31’s) and gain a real functionality at the expense of just 1-2 ounces. The RPs are a very impressive piece of kit.

So impressed, in fact, that I’d recommend anyone with unfulfilled orders, or thinking about buying a set of binos pump the brakes and go with the RPs instead. There’s no reason not to.

It's a more "refined" system compared to two 14s and a pano bridge. Everything was purpose built to integrate as a single system. At 17 oz with RPOs; its a metal/aluminum housing. Which is nothing to sneeze at. The individual pods also can be "popped" off and separate power modules can be used to have the pods act as monoculars.

But in the grand scheme of things, does it offer any better functionality over two 14s and a panobridge? No it does not.

Is it sexy as faque and let's you "flex on them poors" 100%
    Thanks, that does help...

@TheHorta Cold Harbour Supply has an exclusive OEM straight power cable for the CE5 that supposedly helps with it, might be worth checking out.

Are you saying that the Jerry causes additional lens flares in the NODs? I think most people will run it in Patrol mode most of the time so as long as that is decently functional it seems worth it? They are well below half the price of a real ECOTI.

I think since the RPOs have greater lens flare compared to the milspec glass stuff, that may be causing issues with the projection from the Jerry c. From reading Nick's of TFTB, the color if the projection is slightly different shades if green. (320p coti is orange).

The Jerry may be inducing more flare compared to the ecoti, degrading the image. Like horta said, he's gonna try a std 14 to compare the two to see if it's the same or different results.

@TheHorta Cold Harbour Supply has an exclusive OEM straight power cable for the CE5 that supposedly helps with it, might be worth checking out.

Are you saying that the Jerry causes additional lens flares in the NODs? I think most people will run it in Patrol mode most of the time so as long as that is decently functional it seems worth it? They are well below half the price of a real ECOTI.

I’ll definitely get one of those cables. The included cable is about 6-8” too short to be able to flip the mount up, which is a bit of a pain. I tried running it multiple ways, both sides and both upside down and rightside up and it needs a few more inches (a frequent problem in my life). If I run the battery pack on the SIDE of the helmet, that obviously works, but then my OCD makes me curl-up into the fetal position and I can’t leave the house.

I think since the RPOs have greater lens flare compared to the milspec glass stuff, that may be causing issues with the projection from the Jerry c. From reading Nick's of TFTB, the color if the projection is slightly different shades if green. (320p coti is orange).

The Jerry may be inducing more flare compared to the ecoti, degrading the image. Like horta said, he's gonna try a std 14 to compare the two to see if it's the same or different results.
    I’m hoping that’s the problem. Also, I can mount the projector a good 1/4” closer to the objective and that could help as well. I’ll try both tonight.

But… as far as my 3000 FOM RPNVGs with RPO optics, I couldn’t be happier. AB really nailed it with these. Their experience really shows through on these. There is only one thing that stands out as a potential future problem, depending upon how harsh an owner might be.

For me, it won’t be a problem.

Reactions: zinny
    Eager to hear how it works out.

FYI that Cold Harbour cable is (they say) like 3” shorter than the 90° one. They claim the stock cable is too long and they were getting complaints. They show it set up on a helmet though and the straight one looks plenty long to flip up in the photo. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the field of view discussion; has anyone here seen the new 50° lenses that are coming out? Supposedly going to be on the dtnvs housing starting in 2023. My buddy got to play with a set at the AUSA show and was blown away, but didn't get a whole lot of info on how they work/compatibility with older systems. According to him the image was completely flat and not distorted in any way.

image000000.jpg

They're not made by Act in Black from what I've gathered. So pretty sure when they become available, you can buy them like RPOs. Real question would be price and other optical qualities. Does it perform better/worse ub low light, eye relief/eye box, resolution, etc.

Reactions: Lowdown3
    I'm not entirely sure who's making them, but assume if they fit on a dtnvs housing they should be compatible with anything that uses standard lens sets. I wish I was able to put my hands on them to judge some of those tradeoffs, but at the moment relying on the impressions of a friend (he does have nods and is reasonably knowledgeable).

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the field of view discussion; has anyone here seen the new 50° lenses that are coming out? Supposedly going to be on the dtnvs housing starting in 2023. My buddy got to play with a set at the AUSA show and was blown away, but didn't get a whole lot of info on how they work/compatibility with older systems. According to him the image was completely flat and not distorted in any way.

View attachment 7982986
    Looks like resolution is reduced? Or maybe it's two different tubes they used? Either way, the left image is noticeably large with workable resolution.

@TheHorta looking forward to your Jerry C conclusion. I assume these housings don't rotate outboard like the 31's or DTNVS? I prefer to rotate outboard over flipping the whole mount up