• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS vs something 1/4 the cost

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
So what besides quality of materials, US made, fit finish are you getting with RRS head and tripod vs something $300-400? Assuming RRS is the top of the hill

Stability?
Ease of use?
Reliability (not dropping your gun)
Lighter weight?

Weighing the Anvil+34 vs a cheaper option

I know buy once, but I'm not sure how often I'll use a tripod

Mostly for flat range/occasional comps, primarily learning the skill of shooting off a tripod

Wondering if my needs can be met by a lower cost option given that I don't need the actual precision at this time

Don't want to tie up funds for something I might not use often

But don't want to be cussing if my rifle takes a hit on dirt either , or the entire unit shakes in the wind like a philanderer at church

Rrs is probably the best, no doubt. For minimal use and for whatmyou laid out, take a look at the 0311 from shadowtech. Very good for the money.

Check out Feisol. They arent 1/4 the cost but very comparable in specs and performance. I am very happy with my feisol tripod setup.

Plus one for Feisol, I have the CT-3342 tripod and CB-50DC and the head is a perfect arc mount. I don’t think any tripod will drop your rifle any differently as I assume it would fall due to terrain not quality of rig.

The compromise is weight

Anything lower cost will weight more to get the same weight rating and features as the RRS. The spec has to be as close to 50LBS as possible in order to get similar results. That usually means heavier or more money.

You can compromise and use an RRS Ball head on something like a Hog Saddle PRST for $400, then with the BH55 it's $450 so for $1000 you get something close.

The Feisols are okay, but they will be a lot bigger, and heavier but do a similar job. The benefit is you can use the leveling base vs just a ball head.

If you are not hauling it, the options are not a big deal, the extra weight is the real downside so if you are not walking it doesn't really matter.

There are always alternatives, you can spend more than RRS on Novoflex from Switzerland, etc.

Watch Craigslist and buy an old school large metal professional tripod... it'll be heavier but solid. Gitzos are the best of these, Bogen/Manfrotto are the next most popular in the USA.

I doubt you'll find anything as well matched as an RRS system.

I run a benro with a cheap 75mm bowl. Not as smooth adjusting, I'm sure. But, it is solid. It seems well enough made, that it should last. Lefoto seems to be another tripod others are using successfully in initial trials.

I tried it on my camera and binocular tripods, and they just were not sturdy enough.

I shot off a really right stuff at a competition and the difference of a sturdy tripod that can handle the wait is everything.

Feisol 3372, RRS universal levelling base with a Feisol quick release clamp and an Arca plate directly mounted to the stock

Reactions: Stpilot12
If your not trying to spend a rediculouse amount of money the you don’t have to. I’ve been running the shadow tech with hog saddle and it’s plenty stout. He’ll it doesn’t even feel heavy to me lugging it around. I’m not even close to having spent the money I would have on RRS and perfectly happy with how my stuff performs. Don’t get me wrong though the RRS gear is top notch, but you really don’t need to burst a tone of money getting something good still

I bought the PIG0311 and PIG Saddle last year and it's a great combo for less than $300. I'm planning on adding a ball head at some point, but since I've yet to find a match where I can use it my shooting budget is going elsewhere for the time being.

How does it work to use the saddle on tripod without a ball head?

Did this in the service as did many others with a saddle directly threaded on the base of a Manfrotto 055 (or similar), you just "muscle" it on target after the above said adjustments and lean in, hard. Also, as mentioned above, put two tripod legs out in front and you'll have much more support from a standing position. Not to mention that the thing itself is a bombproof aluminum weapon.

Not to stray too far off topic here, but check out the HOG saddle site's SS loop hole slings - with the sling attached on the rifle forward, the sling goes through the legs, then a loop on the back of the sling attaches to a sturdy belt you'd wear via a carabiner, lean in and as you move your hips away the set up tightens up nicely. Sorry if my paraphrasing sucks but, it's a great method for standing tripod and a few other positions were you're able to leverage the rifle and your forward weight by pulling your butt backwards. I mention this cause it'll add stability and I think value to any setup. Check out the pics along with the sling here, awesome kit for the price:

stores.hogsaddle.com/enhanced-ss-loophole-sling/

This link is funky, wouldn't paste, so just search on "ss loophole sling" and it's get ya there.

Think about the other ways you can use the tripod. There's another thread on the forum that talks about building barricades that attach to the tripod. You can use it then to train different heights, shapes, obstacles. It can also be a great tool in the shop. It can serve as a convenient gun vise. It's an investment in equipment. The key is to discover varied ways to use it.

I like using a sling in the manner described above, and find it really helps tighten up my hold. A simple way to accomplish it without a dedicated tripod sling, is to use almost any sling you like, and attach a carabiner to the rear. If you don't care about loop slings, a VTAC works really well in this role. You can also do some neat stuff that doesn't require a carabiner, but I won't get into all that as I'm sure most of you have your own ways of accomplishing it.

Have any of you guys tried the Nightforce tripod as another lower cost item? If so, what were your experiences?

The FEISOL Elite Tripod CT-3372 lists at 66lb load, 25" folded, at 3.9 lbs, and 59" extended length

Keep in mind there are no testing standards so any company can make a tripod and says it's rated for 100lbs if the tripod is resting against a wall or something.

RRS says it's rated at 50lbs, but that's the smallest leg with the smallest locking collar and 50lbs of weight plumb with gravity working against the leg and collar.

If you spread the load across three leg sections of different diameters and bigger collars the weight rating is quite a bit higher than advertised. That translates to stability.

If you have to carry it around all weekend, lighter is better.