• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger 1-B in 308 - What kind of accuracy?

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
Shot a friends Ruger Number 1 in 223 tonight, only put a couple of off hand rounds down range. There's something so wonderful about the falling block breach loading that now has entranced enough to think about picking one up. While I know it's not going to be a f-class rifle, what kind of realistic accuracy can I expect out of one in 223 or 308 out of the box?

Re: Ruger 1-B in 308 - What kind of accuracy?

The number ones can drive you nuts. I had a 243 that would throw the third round everytime. The last number one I picked up was a 25-06 it was a solid 2" rifle out of the box. Had a smith install a hicks Thimbu and bed the forend and it is now a solid 3/4" rifle and a great game getter. Also a great looking rifle.

Ruger1V2007-5-2315grBlueDot33grVmax2170100yardstext.jpg

I lost my Ruger #1 223 in April, so I bought a replacement in May.

I bought a used Ruger #1V 223 for ~$500 off an on line auction.

I cleaned the Copper out, put a scope on it, shot some blemished 35 gr Vmax bullets [they weigh 33 gr] with 15 gr Blue Dot through it, sighted in at 50 and this is the first target at 100 yards.

I'm not a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but I put 10 shots into a 2" group with his bone stock 223 of which 7 were ~1" at 100 yards. It made a hell of an impression on me. And that action... it's just so sexy somehow. It's like I'm 17 again and in love, lol.

I had a Ruger Number 1 Heavy Barrel Varminter that would constanly vertically string shots. Never got any better then 2" 100 yard groups. Ended up frustrated and sold it.
frown.gif

I collected #1's for years...everything from .223 varminters, 6 PPC, and even a #1 Tropical in .458 WM. None of them shot under 2 MOA. They were beautiful rifles, with terrible triggers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I collected #1's for years...everything from .223 varminters, 6 PPC, and even a #1 Tropical in .458 WM. None of them shot under 2 MOA. They were beautiful rifles, with terrible triggers! </div></div>

Bigbore,
I contacted 9 with my deal, you are the only one who did not bite.
Maybe you will get into this.

The #1 trigger can be replaced with a Keplinger set trigger, which I did. But once I saw the #1 trigger geometry, I realized that Bill Ruger had left an opportunity behind for improvement, and I think on purpose.

KepplingerTrigger1BeforeDSCF0011Test.jpg

All you need to do is slide up, push up on the bar with a little more leverage.

KepplingerTrigger1DSCF0005.jpg

Like this one.