• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Competition Rifle (Ruger Custom Shop)

IMG_20200129_211218.jpg

$800 MSRP? I can buy a used 10/22 and add a KIDD barrel, bolt and trigger for roughly the same price. I'd rather the KIDD... but I already have two and love them both.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_162823_177.jpg
    IMG_20191105_162823_177.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: NewsShooter
Nice hamrmech - does look good and low profile up there. And yeah, the Kidd two stage trigger is ridiculous. I had to ditch the long mag release arm though - not going to lie. I couldn't stand the way it separated from the trigger guard when a magazine was inserted - just made it too easy to hit for me. I went to the medium one. That is the one thing I feel was better about the Competition 10/22's trigger assembly - the magazine release could easily be found under your trigger finger without even moving your hand. Too bad the rest of the trigger was sub par compared to the Kidd.

Nice hamrmech - does look good and low profile up there. And yeah, the Kidd two stage trigger is ridiculous. I had to ditch the long mag release arm though - not going to lie. I couldn't stand the way it separated from the trigger guard when a magazine was inserted - just made it too easy to hit for me. I went to the medium one. That is the one thing I feel was better about the Competition 10/22's trigger assembly - the magazine release could easily be found under your trigger finger without even moving your hand. Too bad the rest of the trigger was sub par compared to the Kidd.
The release on the stock trigger housing is superior I think. It's super easy to eject your mag with the super long type on the kidd. In the nrl shooting when you change position you can eject a mag and lose it over the firing line by accident. Seen it and done it. The mag flies out like it's buttered and greased. It's the only way the factory trigger group is better. I might buy the different kidd releases and try them.

Got mine for $609. Haven't been able to shoot yet since range has been closed down since I got it. Got it mainly for Rimfire Challenge. Looking for long distance and looking at Ruger Precision Rimfire and Savage B22 Precision.

I really like these little Ruger Custom shop rifles, hope to pick one up someday, hopefully some more owners of these will post theirs.

I have a custom shop . I bought it right after they come out . I really enjoy it. It shoots cci standard velocity very well . I pulled the scope off and put an aim point pro on it last summer and shot a 22lr steel challenge match with it and did pretty good except for me getting exited and shooting the stop plate to soon lol . I have about 5000 Anguilla standard velocity ammo it it is not the best for any distance , it seems very inconsistent with powder charge but is still ok for a little fun . pic below is 150 yds with the Aguilla .
iuXmPDB.jpg

I just dropped mine off at the dealer today, it's going back. It's a fun little gun, but I didn't get the accuracy others are seeing, assumingly due to it denting/chopping just about every type of ammo I put through it. CCI, SK, Eley, Laupua it trashed them all :(. I tried multiple mags, and actually I could never get it to feed SK Match reliably at all. I'm sure it's just some minor tolerance that is out, but has soured me on it. Going to replace it but not sure with what yet... Thinking a CZ Varmit Trainer or the new Precision Chassis version, or maybe a Bergara... still mulling it over. Don't want to build, just want to shoot and change as little as possible, ie no chasing barrels or custom actions etc.

Reactions: TN-MadDog
I just dropped mine off at the dealer today, it's going back. It's a fun little gun, but I didn't get the accuracy others are seeing, assumingly due to it denting/chopping just about every type of ammo I put through it. CCI, SK, Eley, Laupua it trashed them all :(. I tried multiple mags, and actually I could never get it to feed SK Match reliably at all. I'm sure it's just some minor tolerance that is out, but has soured me on it. Going to replace it but not sure with what yet... Thinking a CZ Varmit Trainer or the new Precision Chassis version, or maybe a Bergara... still mulling it over. Don't want to build, just want to shoot and change as little as possible, ie no chasing barrels or custom actions etc.
well that certainly sucks . I had to send back an Alexander arms upper and it wasn't fun at all . I bet ruger makes it right . I had a ruger precision rimfire and it just didn't satisfy me at all I sold it and kept the custom shop gun . I have to admit the cz trainer is pretty attractive and couldn't fault anybody for going that route .

well that certainly sucks . I had to send back an Alexander arms upper and it wasn't fun at all . I bet ruger makes it right . I had a ruger precision rimfire and it just didn't satisfy me at all I sold it and kept the custom shop gun . I have to admit the cz trainer is pretty attractive and couldn't fault anybody for going that route .

So Davidson's is going to replace it. They are out of the grey stock so I am getting the laminated version - like hamrmech's a few posts up - which I like so that's fine. Hopefully won't have the same issues as the first one, if it does I'll be done with these and move on to something else.

Reactions: stewbud
So Davidson's is going to replace it. They are out of the grey stock so I am getting the laminated version - like hamrmech's a few posts up - which I like so that's fine. Hopefully won't have the same issues as the first one, if it does I'll be done with these and move on to something else.
that's great . I really hope you get a good one . I gave mine a good cleaning and run about 100 mini-mags through it before I settled down and got serious about groups . try the cci standard it shoots real well in a lot of rifles .

I had the same problem and sent mine back to Ruger. I came back with a new barrel and they had chamfered the chamber a bit. Feeds everything fine now but CCI SV just barely ejects.

The replacement came in today (laminate stock version). Tested in the shop before I left an no bullet nicks/dents with lead nose CCI, SK, Eley or Lapua - so happy for that. Will get it out to the range sometime next week and run some CCI MiniMag's through it to work the action.

Reactions: sparky702
good deal . that laminate looks great
The replacement came in today (laminate stock version). Tested in the shop before I left an no bullet nicks/dents with lead nose CCI, SK, Eley or Lapua - so happy for that. Will get it out to the range sometime next week and run some CCI MiniMag's through it to work the action.

I like the Boyd’s At One Thumb Hole stocks allot. I own two of them. One on my Tikka T3X 6.5CM and the other on my .22lr custom build. At $210 the AT One stocks could be one of the best buys there is, in stocks.

Attachments

• 48EB8BB3-1971-4799-8C1F-2BFD26B52ACF.jpeg
    48EB8BB3-1971-4799-8C1F-2BFD26B52ACF.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 2518B37F-684C-4D5D-A73E-DD9134ECDCDC.jpeg
    2518B37F-684C-4D5D-A73E-DD9134ECDCDC.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 8D9B8DB0-584B-4820-927B-1B5426213863.jpeg
    8D9B8DB0-584B-4820-927B-1B5426213863.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I like the Boyd’s At One Thumb Hole stocks allot. I own two of them. One on my Tikka T3X 6.5CM and the other on my .22lr custom build. At $210 the AT One stocks could be one of the best buys there is, in stocks.
I bought it for the pistol grip that puts my finger in just the right spot. It did have to be inletted at the gunsmith for the rear hold down and screw.

From what I've seen over the years, Ruger's OEM offering for any specific type of 10/22 build will generally be a higher price with lower performance compared to custom options or even assembling it yourself with aftermarket parts. YMMV.

This is not for race gun but 1 of my goto lightweight hunting rifle set up for WINCHESTER HP 42G AMMO ONLY. TTP!

Attachments

• DSC02249.JPG
    DSC02249.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 275
From what I've seen over the years, Ruger's OEM offering for any specific type of 10/22 build will generally be a higher price with lower performance compared to custom options or even assembling it yourself with aftermarket parts. YMMV.

When comparing price/performance with ANY large manufacturer, this is usually the case, and is not specific to Ruger...

Reactions: kmckinnon

Realized I didn't respond to this thread either lol...

Replacement runs great - no issues at all, seem to be as accurate or more than my RPRF... Put a Weibad cheek pad on it (dang $40 for that little bit of pad and cloth though) and a Muller 8-32 on top and plink away :).

I really like these little Ruger Custom shop rifles, hope to pick one up someday, hopefully some more owners of these will post theirs.

Built this one without any ruger parts other than the trigger assembly, including the scope and bipod for about 800. The target is a five shot group at 25 yards prone with a bipod and rear bag, shooting it for the first time after zeroing the scope. I built two identical rifles other than the initials on the JWH bolt for my nephews.

KyleRifle_1583.jpg

KyleRifle.jpg

Last edited:
i just got my ruger 10/22 competition rifle custom shop last week and have been out twice with it and love it

i have put 400 rounds through it with 10 different ammos and not one single malfunction

here are my pics from day 1 ammo testing (50yards)
it was hot as hell and humid that day and i am surprised i shot this well
sk standard plus was the stand out (which i ended up using in my 6x5 i shot yesterday that avg .343)

the trigger will take sometime for me to get used to there seems to be no defined wall

maybe i could have built a better cheaper one but i am very very happy with the one i got and at just over $600

will do some 100 yard ammo testing when the weather is nice

Attachments

• ruger 1022 custom.jpeg
    ruger 1022 custom.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 435
  • ruger 1022 day 01a.jpeg
    ruger 1022 day 01a.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 402
  • ruger 1022 day 01b.jpeg
    ruger 1022 day 01b.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ruger 1022 sk plus.jpeg
    ruger 1022 sk plus.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 372
Reactions: Sagittarius
Purchased this rifle as Cristmas present to myself.
Ordered SWFA 22 Scope with 50 yd parallax.
SWFA has not gotten any of these in stock since my backorder in March.
CameraLand had a recent sale on Athlon which gets good reviews and while
not as cheap as the SWFA, cretainly not a top tier scope but certainbly suitable for the Ruger.
Scope is the Athlon ARES BTR GEN2 4.5-27X50 with Athlon mounts.
APLR3 reticle

Have CMP ELEY and did not know if it would cycle the Ruger 10/22 action so ordered a case
of Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest Precision. (I like Eley)
Cost is less than $10/box and while not cheap that appears from AmmoSeek to be the going rate for just about anything.
Ruger has a picatinny rail with 30MOA built in so normal mounts will do.
Trigger is very good, light and just a hint of creep.
Once you get settled with a good position, you can bang off the rounds.
My goal with the rifle was to minimize physical stress for all positions but particularly standing.
My heavy target rifles are just too heavy for matches that require standing.
I also did not want to have to cycle a bolt or T-Bolt action.
I have to remove the forward stud and mount a picatinny rail for an Atlas bipod.
Scope mounting and torquing with the Borka Tool Set was fast and easy.
The Ruger Suppressor just threads right on.
Range today was windy!!!
Actually could see the target moving around.
25 yd zero check was a few inches off.
Almost one hole group at 25yds as I zeroed the scope.
On to 50yds.
Best 50yd group pictured.
Accuracy is on a par with my bolt rifles if not better but the wind today negated a final check.
The scope has 1/4”MOA adjustments so you don’t chase the zero around which
happens if the rifle is more accurate than the scope adjustments.
Certainly a vast improvement to my first 22 rifle, a Winchester Model 77 Clip fed with Weaver 4x scope.
I’ll have to take it out of retirement and see how it does with the Eley!
I decide early on to not spend a lot of money on a 22lr semi-auto custom because I just cannot use the accuracy anymore. Certainly the rifle/scope combination is not cheap and I was alittle leary of Ruger QC but in this case Ruger got it right.
Not single malfunction, right out of the box.
With the suppressor, the loudest thing you hear is the action cycling.
I wish suppressors would have been legal when I first started shooing, no Tinnitus!!!
-Richard

Attachments

• 1EF5B3E4-5E96-4ECF-9A32-DDA8B08301C8.jpeg
    1EF5B3E4-5E96-4ECF-9A32-DDA8B08301C8.jpeg
    863.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 6DD96CFB-FE8A-4EE7-8D45-10DDD1B9624F.jpeg
    6DD96CFB-FE8A-4EE7-8D45-10DDD1B9624F.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 79C5883D-2706-4489-AF85-6EFCD3DF0A8E.png
    79C5883D-2706-4489-AF85-6EFCD3DF0A8E.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 267
Reactions: deltawiskey
BTW, after reading this entire Tread,
did not clean rifle but shot right out of the box.
100 rnds, no malfunctions of any kind
30MOA rail can use normal rings
Trigger is fine, I’ve shot so many triggers over my lifetime that it’s no big deal.
I don’t obsess over small stuff but just shoot.
For $650, it’s a bargain!
Scope from Doug at Camerland at $800 not bad compared to S&B, March and Leica PRS I have.
Ruger Suppressor is just GREAT!!!
Eley Semi-auto functions 40 gr100%, there is a 42 gr but they were all sold out due to the sale price?
I need a calm, day to do final checks as I could see the target moving around in the wind today.
Flyer could be me or wind, probably me!
Not an a attrative rifle but neither is my AIAX attractive.
-Richard

Reactions: scotchtape
Best group today, 50 yds, Eley SemiAuto Benchrest.
Eley Tenex, accidentally grabbed a box and did not function in the 10/22.
-Richard

Attachments

• 1D864C63-ADF7-4B9B-8803-8943F0BEFBAC.jpeg
    1D864C63-ADF7-4B9B-8803-8943F0BEFBAC.jpeg
    767.7 KB · Views: 131
  • B3B5E77D-9197-4D00-A478-7E08B8F6F43F.jpeg
    B3B5E77D-9197-4D00-A478-7E08B8F6F43F.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: scotchtape
Most of the time those groups shot by the builder are with the action in a machine rest.

Reactions: *rim-star*
For those considering one of these rifles, read the reviews of the Ruger "Precision" Rimfire rifle. Personally I would never again purchase a Ruger barreled gun.
smart man i lernd my lesson a long time ago

Just finished this build over the weekend and thought I would post some pics.

Kidd Supergrade .920 Threaded 18" BA w/ rear tang
McMillan A5-22 Stock bedded front and rear and Henderson Precision Arca Rail.
20 MOA Scope base (wanted 40 MOA but Kidd only has 0, 10, and 20 for some reason)
Athlon Cronus BTR

Cerakote done by BMC Customs

Attachments

• 20210131_120316.jpg
    20210131_120316.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 20210131_120237.jpg
    20210131_120237.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 262
Just finished this build over the weekend and thought I would post some pics.

Kidd Supergrade .920 Threaded 18" BA w/ rear tang
McMillan A5-22 Stock bedded front and rear and Henderson Precision Arca Rail.
20 MOA Scope base (wanted 40 MOA but Kidd only has 0, 10, and 20 for some reason)
Athlon Cronus BTR

Cerakote done by BMC Customs
Great looking rifle I love the looks of the A5-22 stock.Does it have the same great feel of the A5 stock.

Great looking rifle I love the looks of the A5-22 stock.Does it have the same great feel of the A5 stock.
Thanks! It feels exactly the same. It's an A5 with a 10/22 inlet. That's the only difference.

Reactions: Moose
Seen one of the laminated stainless models in a shop for 649.00 yesterday looked nice

I cut a flat on the fore end with a table saw. Use a wedge underneath the stock to make sure the flat is square so if your bipod doesn’t tilt your rifle isn’t tilted.
When someone figures out how to nicely mount an Arca rail to this stock, let me know! I have a bunch of arca accessories I'd love to run on this...

View attachment 7481179
just bought this one from a local custom shop. I usually prefer bolt-actions but this one looked promising.
After having bought and built several custom guns built on the 10/22 platform, I have come to the conclusion that they can be made to be very accurate guns. My current build is on a Tactical Solutions stainless receiver with a Shilen barrel. It is every bit as accurate as my 1710 Anschutz bolt gun. But here's the deal breaker. It will not win when shot against the bolt gun. Why? Flyers. Twice as many flyers as the bolt gun when shooting equal amounts of ammo. 10/22s shave lead. The two main reasons for this is barrel to bolt alignment and magazine feed issues. It's inherit to the basic design. A competent smith can correct the barrel to bolt issues but the rotary magazine is a different story. It will distort the soft 22 bullet when loading and firing. It is also not held rigid when inserted in the gun. always some amount of movement which can and does cause mis alignment when feeding. Results are shaved bullets and flyers! You can check for this problem by placing a white cloth under the mag loading port. Load and fire about 50 rounds while leaving the cloth under the mag port. You might be surprised at what you find!

Reactions: STex and Cowpokey
After having bought and built several custom guns built on the 10/22 platform, I have come to the conclusion that they can be made to be very accurate guns. My current build is on a Tactical Solutions stainless receiver with a Shilen barrel. It is every bit as accurate as my 1710 Anschutz bolt gun. But here's the deal breaker. It will not win when shot against the bolt gun. Why? Flyers. Twice as many flyers as the bolt gun when shooting equal amounts of ammo. 10/22s shave lead. The two main reasons for this is barrel to bolt alignment and magazine feed issues. It's inherit to the basic design. A competent smith can correct the barrel to bolt issues but the rotary magazine is a different story. It will distort the soft 22 bullet when loading and firing. It is also not held rigid when inserted in the gun. always some amount of movement which can and does cause mis alignment when feeding. Results are shaved bullets and flyers! You can check for this problem by placing a white cloth under the mag loading port. Load and fire about 50 rounds while leaving the cloth under the mag port. You might be surprised at what you find!
I havent seen any evidence of this in my 10/22 LVT.....I checked it several times by chambering a round by cycling the bolt, then extract the live round, no shaving that I could see.

Reactions: MackDaddy1962

Yep, it's not hard to put a 10/22 together and it's more fun too. :).

Just ran across this thread. I understand the YMMV. For me it amounted to having a rifle to shoot while I upgraded it as I had $$$s to do it. Having a secret stash of cash, saving for a fancier rifle would have never worked, with kids, wife, life etc. I started with a stock 10/22 and worked up from there. That was 20 years ago when people such as Volquartsen (sp?) started making parts for them. I ended up with several different rimfire rifles in different configurations, a couple of which will never be "finished". I have found that the project was almost as fun as the shooting.

Reactions: FloridaGator
I recently bought the Ruger Custom shop Left-Handed rifle. My LGS keeps an eye out for all things left handed since I'm always interested in accuracy and lefty stuff and this is the best of both.

At 50yds with good match ammunition it runs .5" or less with no issues. At 100 yards, the wind moves the bullet around a bit more than I thought it would. After getting a bit of a feel for it, I shot this group with my last 10 rounds, the two out at 3 o'clock would have been 10's if I watched the wind flag closer.

I am going to shoot it in a couple of 100 yd benchrest matches for fun. I had some older SK Pistol ammo that shot two 1" five shot groups about 1.5 inches apart, every shot that broke the sound barrier was high and 5 did it, so a nice group with the faster bullets making a nice group, slightly higher.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Reactions: sparky702
I recently bought the Ruger Custom shop Left-Handed rifle. My LGS keeps an eye out for all things left handed since I'm always interested in accuracy and lefty stuff and this is the best of both.

At 50yds with good match ammunition it runs .5" or less with no issues. At 100 yards, the wind moves the bullet around a bit more than I thought it would. After getting a bit of a feel for it, I shot this group with my last 10 rounds, the two out at 3 o'clock would have been 10's if I watched the wind flag closer.

I am going to shoot it in a couple of 100 yd benchrest matches for fun. I had some older SK Pistol ammo that shot two 1" five shot groups about 1.5 inches apart, every shot that broke the sound barrier was high and 5 did it, so a nice group with the faster bullets making a nice group, slightly higher.

GetAttachmentThumbnail
I used mine in a couple of PRS 22lr matches lthis past summer and plan to use it this spring .

Around 800 street price. Thats laughable. I can buy my dream semi auto a kidd barreled action for around 9. And no comparison between the two. Anybody that might spend 8 for this would spend 9 forn a Kidd no problem. Boyd's provarmint is 150. So this for 8 and it needs a trigger or 1050 for a Kidd and have the best. No browner to me
I own both a KIDD barreled action in a KRG chassis and the ruger in question. They shoot comparably in terms of accuracy. The trigger is nicer on the KIDD, but not bad on the ruger. If anything...the reason I own both is because I tried upgrading the ruger and the parts (particularly the bolt) from KIDD didn't work well (too tight) in the ruger. I like the longer barrel from KIDD, I like the trigger, I like the chassis. All things being considered I like the KIDD better in terms of how it feels when I'm shooting it...but in terms of accuracy...not that different.

My 1st 10/22 was the stainless/laminated RSI that I went to great lengths to accurize without losing the manliker stock, so that ment keeping stock barrel that was set back to match chamber, target crowned, cryogenic tempering (yeah it was a "thing" back then) I digress, it was wonderfully accurate! With about $900 of 1995 money. I later had the new "target tactical" it couldn't touch the one I built.
I lost both in a terrible pawn shop incedent for $100 each 😠
I'd build before buying cookie cutter product.

Attachments

• 20210624_095005.jpg
    20210624_095005.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 249
Just got back from my second outing with the new CSC. Wanted to share what she did today. Still just trying out different brands of ammo and checking reliability. On the first trip there was an issue with stovepiping on CCI SV, but that seemed to be isolated to one magazine. Haven't had any issues with the others, so far. Second trip she ran flawlessly except for not picking up the first round once and one FTF. Hoping these things disappear with time. The big story is the groups. Here's some Mini Mag results at 25 yards. Top is 3 rounds, middle 3 rounds and bottom 4 rounds–measuring .137, .205 and .120 respectively. That's as good as anything my CZs every did. Pretty excited about that. This is the first gun I've ever had that liked Mini Mags. Also had a sub MOA groups with CCI Subsonic and RWS Target Rifle. I'd like to see what's possible beyond 100 yards since I have hopes of using this rifle for NRL. Also, this was with a Weaver 2.5-7. Got an Athlon on the way, that should improve things a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 125
Just got back from my second outing with the new CSC. Wanted to share what she did today. Still just trying out different brands of ammo and checking reliability. On the first trip there was an issue with stovepiping on CCI SV, but that seemed to be isolated to one magazine. Haven't had any issues with the others, so far. Second trip she ran flawlessly except for not picking up the first round once and one FTF. Hoping these things disappear with time. The big story is the groups. Here's some Mini Mag results at 25 yards. Top is 3 rounds, middle 3 rounds and bottom 4 rounds–measuring .137, .205 and .120 respectively. That's as good as anything my CZs every did. Pretty excited about that. This is the first gun I've ever had that liked Mini Mags. Also had a sub MOA groups with CCI Subsonic and RWS Target Rifle. I'd like to see what's possible beyond 100 yards since I have hopes of using this rifle for NRL. Also, this was with a Weaver 2.5-7. Got an Athlon on the way, that should improve things a little more.
I have been running my 10/22 custom shop in rimfire matches . It actually shoot's better the the bergara B14R I had . The farthest we shoot is 150 yds . SK standard plus shoot's very well and cci standard velocity is good also . I would suggest you swab the chamber often when shooting ammo with a coating as it will build up and cause extraction issue's . I don't mean swab the whole barrel just the chamber . I do it before every match . the actual bore I dont clean until accuracy starts to fade . Good luck and have fun these are great rifles .

Reactions: Moose