• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 MKII build

Realtree357

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2014
New to the forums and thought I'd start with a new build, it's a Ruger M77 Mark II chambered in .300 win mag, stainless barrel and the ugly "boat paddle" stock, I know this is not a rifle known for accuracy but I'd like to see what I'm able to squeeze out of it when finished, I have a witt muzzle brake that I just ordered and plan on changing the trigger out as well as the stock and glass bedding it and ff the barrel, the scope that's on it currently is just a cheap simmons 2.8-10x44, thinking about changing it out for something in the vortex line. Any thoughts?

Sell it. Get a Remington 700 or something you can build onto. You might have the "worst rifle possible" for doing a build. There's no parts that are clones for the M77. Sorry , but Ruger Mark II's weren't designed for anything but hunting.

Ok, I'll come out of the closet on this one. I took a Ruger Gunsite Scout. Re barreled with a Rock Creek, 24" heavy varmint. Put it in a Ruger laminated varmint stock I bought on Ebay. Rifle Basics trigger, bedded, modified the stock for the mag system and put a one piece scope base on it. .308 caliber. Shoots in the .150" at 100 yards. Shoots .350" for five shots at 200 yards with Berger Juggernauts. It can be done, but people still can 't believe I did this.

I too must bring my Ruger fetish into the light.
A couple years back (actually like 15), I lucked into a sale at Sportsman's Whorehouse, and walked out with a brand new MKII varmint in 25-06 for 449$ out the door. Took me a while, but I got a good load worked up using 100 gr SMK's and 4831. Adjusted the trigger,bedded it, and had a break installed. When things were right, I could put 4-5 rounds into less than a half inch at 200yds. I killed a bunch of animals with that old Ruger, including my first Buck, first elk, and countless varmints and targets. I love that old Ruger, Every now and then I feel like pulling it out of the safe and killing something with it, but I love my DTA too much. But there will always be a special place in my heart for that Ruger.

Be advised that the market for Boat Paddle rugers is going up in price. That stock is worth double what it was just a few short years ago. I'm seeing what I consider beater rifles selling for $500, stocks for over $100. Used to be you almost had to give them away.....

The Kaiser

According to Terry Cross, I have the "one and only Ruger that will leave his shop." I only mention this rifle when this topic comes up. Although it is sub - half MOA, Rugers would be a last choice for a build to throw heavy money at.

Use your Ruger for what it is- a hunting rifle. Go to a pawn shop and get and older Remington to build on. I love the pre-alphabet serial numbers. So smooth.