Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
Delete the trigger spring and you'll like it even more. You can make a single round sled for the mag with a chunk of PVC pipe and 10 minutes.
Yeah I saw that PVC trick, need to head over to the local hardware store and pick up some conduit to play with. Not sure I’m to the point of removing a spring from the trigger but it’s good to know 👍

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
My trigger adjusted down to 1 1/2#, so don't see any reason to pull the trigger spring to go lower. I can just put a round in on top of the mag and single feed. I know some people have trouble with that but mine works great that way. I actually don't think I've ever had a round in the mag!
Down to 1 1/2# with the stock trigger? I got mine down to just over 2 but it doesn’t seem like any more turning of the screw is doing anything. I’ve tried the one in the mag trick and that does work, but I think I’ll try the PVC trick so I don’t have to consider another round in there while I’m doing load development. Too many other things to write down and think about - knowing me I’d shoot that, look at the chrony and scratch my head for a week wondering why my SD/ES went out the window 🤣

coyotewillie

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
NE
What I mean is that I just set a cartridge on top of the mag follower. Some people haven't been able to get their bolt to ride over the mag follower and have to insert one into the mag...follower acts as a bolt stop. I just lay one on top and single feed, no need for the PVC trick. I was going to do that but found that my bolt would ride over with no problem, yours might too.

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
What I mean is that I just set a cartridge on top of the mag follower. Some people haven't been able to get their bolt to ride over the mag follower and have to insert one into the mag...follower acts as a bolt stop. I just lay one on top and single feed, no need for the PVC trick. I was going to do that but found that my bolt would ride over with no problem, yours might too.
I have indeed tried that. It sticks hard on the stock mags. Dang it!

Aguillaguy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2021
Houston
Long time lurker. How the hell are you guys finding Ammo to hit the range? I haven’t found squat and I’m getting pretty sick of looking at what my wife calls a novelty. I have the 6.5prc. I can’t even get reloads.

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
Long time lurker. How the hell are you guys finding Ammo to hit the range? I haven’t found squat and I’m getting pretty sick of looking at what my wife calls a novelty. I have the 6.5prc. I can’t even get reloads.
Oh I know the pain. I wanted a PRC before I bought my Creedmoor. There wasn't ANY ammo out there except expensive handholds from some guy back east I found on the internet (about $3/round before shipping). Brass was like hen's teeth too, so I couldn't even find that to make my loads for the PRC.

If you reload, place backorders on any site you can find that lists the brass you need and you can hope to get started that way. That's what I'm doing now for the higher quality brass out there I'm looking at (Lapua and Peterson).

If it's in the budget, maybe even swap barrels for now to get a caliber for which you can actually find ammo.

I like the PRC performance but the ammo was my deciding factor for going with the CM. Before I even found my rifle I found a 200 round box of Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM which in the end cost about $1/round but I have a ton of brass and bullets aren't hard to find. It's primers that are the real limiter in my local market and on the internet.

I started load development with H4350 but it's hard to find too. I found 8lbs of H100V and bought that. It's not an "extreme" powder and isn't everyone's favorite (which is probably why I was able to find it), but there are recipes for my caliber, it'll go bang and 8 pounds will last me quite a while.

Depending on where you live, I recommend driving out of town to a smaller town with a sporting goods store and see if they have primers and powder. They won't have the PRC ammo but you're going to need those components if you plan to reload. Reloading is fun and relaxing for me, and load development is interesting as well. I personally love these little "science projects" trying different bullets, powder loads and bullet jumps to see how my groups look.

Once your wife sees the groups you shoot with your "novelty" even if she's not a shooter she'll come to appreciate your hobby :)

Reactions: Aguillaguy

HKshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2020
Ammo and reloading components are rare to find in stock now-a-days. Triple that for some obscure cartridge only a handful of people shoot.
The most obscure round I have a rifle chambered for is 6mmCM. I have 200 factory rounds for it that it'll shoot into a dime at 200 yards and I'm not looking for more because I rarely use the gun, it's purpose isn't burning hundreds of dollars worth of ammo trying to make home made ammo that'll shoot just as good or heaven forbid, better. When I run out of the 200 rounds I have I'll sell the gun or rebarrel it into something I can find ammo for for less money with double the barrel life. Probably 308, I have thousands of rounds of that. And when SHTF like today when ammo is impossible to find I'll still be more likely to find 308 in many more places than 6mm.

Last edited:

Aguillaguy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2021
Houston
Oh I know the pain. I wanted a PRC before I bought my Creedmoor. There wasn't ANY ammo out there except expensive handholds from some guy back east I found on the internet (about $3/round before shipping). Brass was like hen's teeth too, so I couldn't even find that to make my loads for the PRC.

If you reload, place backorders on any site you can find that lists the brass you need and you can hope to get started that way. That's what I'm doing now for the higher quality brass out there I'm looking at (Lapua and Peterson).

If it's in the budget, maybe even swap barrels for now to get a caliber for which you can actually find ammo.

I like the PRC performance but the ammo was my deciding factor for going with the CM. Before I even found my rifle I found a 200 round box of Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM which in the end cost about $1/round but I have a ton of brass and bullets aren't hard to find. It's primers that are the real limiter in my local market and on the internet.

I started load development with H4350 but it's hard to find too. I found 8lbs of H100V and bought that. It's not an "extreme" powder and isn't everyone's favorite (which is probably why I was able to find it), but there are recipes for my caliber, it'll go bang and 8 pounds will last me quite a while.

Depending on where you live, I recommend driving out of town to a smaller town with a sporting goods store and see if they have primers and powder. They won't have the PRC ammo but you're going to need those components if you plan to reload. Reloading is fun and relaxing for me, and load development is interesting as well. I personally love these little "science projects" trying different bullets, powder loads and bullet jumps to see how my groups look.

Once your wife sees the groups you shoot with your "novelty" even if she's not a shooter she'll come to appreciate your hobby :)
Hahaha. Yeah, my wife doesn’t seem to appreciate the groupings so much as she likes me hitting the range and getting stress relief. We’ve had no luck here for Ammo. I’ve driven to stores an hour and a half away and it’s always the same story. I considered trading the rifle for another just so I could have a long ranger I’d be able to shoot. I haven’t seen any primers either unfortunately so that was a road block too. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: ChipSawdust

Chief_Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
MS Gulf Coast/World Traveler
What handguard is compatible with the RPR? It seems the Seekins SP3R is discontinued - or at least not available anywhere.
I'd like to replace a Gen 1 handguard, preferably with a slim(mer) replacement that I can put an ARCA rail on the bottom.

DocRDS

Knows Nothing
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Texas
Was eyeing one of the bigger RPRs the other day in 300PRC. But that beast of a muzzle break is an eyesore--how hard is it to get them off and changed? Is it just loctited or rockset on? The "Poors" rifle thread had me thinking this might be a decent project gun to upgrade as I go and I really like my Ruger Precision 22 (very similar).

DocRDS

Knows Nothing
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Texas
oops double post--having a reloading stock or a stash on had is pretty much the only way. It is REALLY tough right now--even 30-06 is gone and there is ALWAYS 30-06. A lot of us are in a pinch, so you are not alone. I had just started shooting my Magnums more, so I got caught flat footed w/o powder/ammo.

It was bad before election day and then everything went plaid.

TangoDown7717

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Was eyeing one of the bigger RPRs the other day in 300PRC. But that beast of a muzzle break is an eyesore--how hard is it to get them off and changed? Is it just loctited or rockset on? The "Poors" rifle thread had me thinking this might be a decent project gun to upgrade as I go and I really like my Ruger Precision 22 (very similar).

It was a PITA to take the muzzle break off. Easiest way is get the barrel in a vise or an action wrench in the action and torque it off. I used a 2’ breaker bar with my wrench to get the leverage.

EzGoingKev

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2017
What handguard is compatible with the RPR? It seems the Seekins SP3R is discontinued - or at least not available anywhere.
I'd like to replace a Gen 1 handguard, preferably with a slim(mer) replacement that I can put an ARCA rail on the bottom.
I have the Seekins SP3R with a Sawtooth Arca rail on it. The fit and finish on them both is awesome. The Sawtooth rail fits like it came factory on the Seekins rail.

TangoDown7717

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
I have midwest industries on mine with an area 419 arca. Its not slimmer but I run a straight 1" barrel. It was the only one with a barrel nut that would fit over the barrel.

Reactions: Shamrock1123

Chief_Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
I have midwest industries on mine with an area 419 arca. Its not slimmer but I run a straight 1" barrel. It was the only one with a barrel nut that would fit over the barrel.
Could you tell me which model?

It is designed for the RPR specifically?

My search is not finding anything that specifies it will work on the RPR, and I'm not sure if it has to.

Thanks

Chief_Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
Same as as abocv:

My search is not finding anything that specifies it will work on the RPR, and I'm not sure if it has to.

Thanks.

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
IIRC I think Anarchy Outdoors has some. midwest-ruger-prcsn-rfl-15-hndgrd as an example.
Someone mentioned a custom made hand guard too; I think it may have been the same company but don't quote me :p

Reactions: Chief_Rick

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
Honestly I haven't tried to take mine off yet but if I end up going into competition this year I'll have to. It doesn't look hard, there's a nut and the brake. There's a tiny gap between the nut and the end of my barrel which is how (I presume) they set the brake in the right position then cinched up the nut. First I'm going to try to hold the brake and turn the nut towards the barrel to separate them, then it should all spin off. That's my theory! If the used Loctite it's going to be a bit more difficult...

Here's a video - it looks super simple: watch Heck he just had his rifle sitting on the bipod.

Then pop on a different brake that works best for you (looks and function). You may still want to get a barrel vice to do the work but for my first attempt I'm just going to use my rifle rest, a wrench and something that'll fit inside the brake. Others with far more experience may chime in.

ChipSawdust

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Spokane, WA
Hard to believe but I just got notification I'm getting my order of 100 Lapua 6.5CM LRP brass shipped. And I thought it was unobtanium! Just in time for my OCW tests with Mr. Newberry.

308RUG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Australia
One spanner on the nut ,one on the Brake, loosen them from each other then just screw them off and put on the new Brake. I used an o-ring against the shoulder of the barrel to snub the brake up to. Easy to locate top dead center for the brake and never had a problem with it moving. Just tighten down one full turn after contacting the O-Ring with the brake for firm fit. I replace the O-Ring occasionally if I think the old one has crushed a bit and is in danger of letting the brake move but other than that just a bit of gun oil on the thread, on with the brake, Locate it at TDC and ya good to go.

Attachments

• 20201115_183140 (2).jpg
    20201115_183140 (2).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14

308RUG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Australia
Purchased an RPR in 6.5PRC in December last year and worked up a load for it using 147g Hornady. I had it in its first LRP shoot the other week.
Pretty happy with how it shot at 600yrds.

Attachments

• 24 Jan2021 600.jpg
    24 Jan2021 600.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210125_111106.jpg
    20210125_111106.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 49

TangoDown7717

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
Same as as abocv:

Thanks.

Looked on brownells as that’s where I got mine before and it listed it as discontinued. Such a shame because I tried seekins and the stock handguard before and they would not fit because of the ID of the handguard but over my barrel. Others may have the same issue (my barrel is 1.006”). Always best to ask whoever you plan on buying what the ID is to be safe. That’s how I ended up with MI’s.

Reactions: Chief_Rick

drcook

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2010
Finishing up a re-color on my 6 Creed. Subtle camo pattern. Suppose I like it a little better than just a single color....
What are you using to "re-color" it. (as to brand, etc). I am curious as to what and have you used it before and how did it work if you did.

Thanks.

Carlos Danger

Keeper of useless information
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2019
Why are the center screws missing on your mounts?
Left them off for weight reduction.

Just kidding. Loosley assembled to apply the camo pattern. I still have to take apart to headspace the barrel and install the trigger. Just wanted to get color on it.

Used AlumaHyde from Brownells. Actually leaves a really nice finish. I know it's not going to be Cerakote durable but I didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it out, and it doesn't see a ton of battlefield time.

Reactions: HKshooter

HKshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2020
I like the finish, looks nice.
Left them off for weight reduction.

Just kidding. Loosley assembled to apply the camo pattern. I still have to take apart to headspace the barrel and install the trigger. Just wanted to get color on it.

Used AlumaHyde from Brownells. Actually leaves a really nice finish. I know it's not going to be Cerakote durable but I didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it out, and it doesn't see a ton of battlefield time.

Reactions: Carlos Danger

Hedgepeth0

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2021
Ms
They can be a pain to remove the 1st time. Put a little high temp grease on and no longer a problem

Swatman

I wanna go fast!
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 20, 2011
    Prescott, Az
    Hello fellow Ruger owners. I have a first gen RPR in 308 I bought for my son and just pulled the trigger on a RPR in 338 Lapua for me. I picked a great time to get a rifle that shoots five dollar bills but at least I can get it down to less than two fifty rolling my own since I keep a bunch of components on hand.

While I’m waiting for my rifle I need to buy a bipod and a scope. I have a Harris on the 308 but I guess I‘m going to need something more robust for this gun. I can get the good guy price on a Vortex or Leupold scope but I’m really interested in the Zero Compromise scopes too.

Also has anyone upgraded the muzzle break or is there any benefit in taking out the screws on the top of it?

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

coyotewillie

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 5, 2005
    NE
    I never noticed any difference in having the screws in or out on mine. Tried both ways, then left them out. Finally got an Elite Iron 338 Sierra suppressor for mine and took the brake off. I'll never run the brake again. I accidentally shot it one time w/o hearing protection...DO NOT DO THIS! That brake is loud, may do it's job but wow is it loud, LOL.

Guys here are going to say don't waste your time with Hornady, but I picked up 3 boxes of their 285 ELD ammo to start with. Shot those factory rounds then used that brass for reloading. Reloaded those cases 12-15 times before I went with new brass. No problems yet mind you, just thought it might be time to use some new.

Got an Athlon Cronus BTR and an Atlas 5H bipod on mine. Honestly that's pretty much the only rifle I've shot in the last 1 1/2 yrs. Love it. I use Ramshot LRT powder. Luckily I just scored an 8# jug of it yesterday from Grafs so I'm good to go for awhile again.

DTF370

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 2, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Just got my LRI 338 lapua ackley improved barrel in. As soon as I get it on I’ll fireform some brass and get some custom dies in the works. Really excited about this one...

ChipSawdust

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 24, 2021
    Spokane, WA
    Still can't find primers for my new-to-me 6.5 rifle. So I'm looking at my 300WM for long distance. I have lots of components for that caliber (shhh don't tell anyone) so thinking about stowing the 6.5 till I can shoot it later and try to reach out a mile with the 300. Problem is, it's an old M77 MkII and isn't the best shooter I won in that caliber. But the best shooter is a BAR Mk3 and that's not really a target rifle. So thinking about a Boyds laminated stock to start with, and a better scope. Anyone ever put a Boyds on their rifle, and bedded it? I've never bedded a rifle so not sure what that's all about. I know what it's supposed to do, and Boyds puts inserts in the stock (if you ask for them) so you can tweak it, but after that, in goes the bedding, right?

Swatman

I wanna go fast!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 20, 2011
    Prescott, Az
    Thanks for the info on your set up. I think I’m either going to get a Harvester or an Omega suppressor for the rifle eventually. I got some 300 grain Lapua bullets and some H1000 to start with. I’m thinking about trying some 250s too.

Bandit320

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2018
    Missouri
    Chip,

Is you’re 6.5 a RPR”. Just curious since the rest of your post would be better as a separate post in the bolt action forum.

That being said, I have a Boyds laminated stock on my REM 783 in 300 WM. I got the At-One stock Because at the time it was the only one with the adjustable cheek piece. It seems ridged enough but I’d probably get the Pro Varmint stock next time for the extra heft. The inlet seemed pretty good but I did a minimal bedding job with shoe polish and JB Weld ( I’m sure there are a lot of YouTube videos). I shoots great, about 3/8” 3 shot at 100 when I do my part.

I have an Criterion barrel on it.

34065DCF-5671-46AD-80B3-2C11E55FF526.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: ChipSawdust

Hardpan

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    CA
    What handguards are people using these days?
    Catalyst Arms. Matt makes a great quality product and a really nice guy to chat with. I had a small issue (not with his product) and he was very quick to help me out. I highly recommend all of his products, I have them all on my gen2 6.5 creed

Reactions: AR-180

robb_va

Private
    Supporter
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2017
    VA
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. I assume the material used by anarchy is harder and more durable than that used by ruger for factory handkle? Does the factory knob fit on the anarchy handle ?

Mine still slipped with the Anarchy bolt handle. I sent if back to Ruger. They replaced the entire firing pin assembly, bolt handle and shroud.

pfl338

Luv2#Steel....
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 16, 2020
    Fort Worth TX
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there is any interest in bag riders for the RPR? I already make them for the AI family of rifles and the MRAD. They are 3d printed with PETG at a 50%fill rate and 5 layers on the outer shell. They have captive hardware that requires no tools for install. They are designed so the shooter can lay his off hand across the rider while applying rearward pressure and squeezing the bag to allow for fine vertical adjustment. What do you guys think?
    IMG_4324.JPGIMG_4325.JPG

Belt fed

A wealth of useless information
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there is any interest in bag riders for the RPR? I already make them for the AI family of rifles and the MRAD. They are 3d printed with PETG at a 50%fill rate and 5 layers on the outer shell. They have captive hardware that requires no tools for install. They are designed so the shooter can lay his off hand across the rider while applying rearward pressure and squeezing the bag to allow for fine vertical adjustment. What do you guys think?
    View attachment 7553749View attachment 7553750
    Pretty cool - I just bought one from Catalyst, haven't shot with it yet. I like the 'hook' you have on the front for the support hand.
    If it can be customized/improved, I'd suggest a bit of slope to the bottom, so you can move fore/aft on the bag for elevation adjustments. That's why I chose the Catalyst.
    Just a thought.

Reactions: Shamrock1123

HKshooter

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2020
    I'd be open for one depending on price. As for the suggestion above about the angle, I'd like it flat, squeezing the bag does the elevation.

Howland

Nimrod
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Hello fellow Ruger owners. I have a first gen RPR in 308 I bought for my son and just pulled the trigger on a RPR in 338 Lapua for me. I picked a great time to get a rifle that shoots five dollar bills but at least I can get it down to less than two fifty rolling my own since I keep a bunch of components on hand.

While I’m waiting for my rifle I need to buy a bipod and a scope. I have a Harris on the 308 but I guess I‘m going to need something more robust for this gun. I can get the good guy price on a Vortex or Leupold scope but I’m really interested in the Zero Compromise scopes too.

Also has anyone upgraded the muzzle break or is there any benefit in taking out the screws on the top of it?

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

I never noticed any difference in having the screws in or out on mine. Tried both ways, then left them out. Finally got an Elite Iron 338 Sierra suppressor for mine and took the brake off. I'll never run the brake again. I accidentally shot it one time w/o hearing protection...DO NOT DO THIS! That brake is loud, may do it's job but wow is it loud, LOL.

Guys here are going to say don't waste your time with Hornady, but I picked up 3 boxes of their 285 ELD ammo to start with. Shot those factory rounds then used that brass for reloading. Reloaded those cases 12-15 times before I went with new brass. No problems yet mind you, just thought it might be time to use some new.

Got an Athlon Cronus BTR and an Atlas 5H bipod on mine. Honestly that's pretty much the only rifle I've shot in the last 1 1/2 yrs. Love it. I use Ramshot LRT powder. Luckily I just scored an 8# jug of it yesterday from Grafs so I'm good to go for awhile again.

I'll second no noticeable difference with brake screws removed. I also left them out. I'm a Poor so I have a Harris bipod.

I load the ELD-M. I chose to try those first because my shooting partner also grabbed a few boxes of the factory Hornady to start with and they shot well. Rolling my own runs around $1.50ish a round so you'll save even more over factory ammo.

Saving that much money, your rifle ought to pay for itself sooner than you thought.

coyotewillie

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 5, 2005
    NE
    I'm fortunate in that I live in Grand Island Ne. just about a mile from Hornady. I've got quite a few of the 285 ELD seconds from them the last 1 1/2 years. Between buying 1st's from Midway and 2nd's from them I've got a ton of them sitting around. Snagged 300 of the discounted Lapua brass from Midway too. Right now in these times it's probably just as cheap or cheaper for me to shoot the LM RPR as it is anything else! Have about 1500 primers and was just lucky enough to get another 8# jug of Ramshot LRT 2 days ago from Grafs. Looks like I'll be shooting this rifle all summer long!

gigamortis

Habitual Sender
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 23, 2013
    Do you have any pics of your rider on an RPR? I'm thinking I might prefer one that is a little longer on the bottom.

pfl338

Luv2#Steel....
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 16, 2020
    Fort Worth TX
    Forward or aft? These are 5.0 long on the bottom. I can print a modified one for SH members as long as the mods are not too time consuming.

coyotewillie

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 5, 2005
    NE
    Looks are deceiving in the pictures. 5" long? That makes them how tall...approx 3.5"? That height of course slides over the rail so how much does that actually raise the rear of the stock up?