• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Any suggestions on a scope to put on this fat pig? The Vortex 4.5-27 has caught my eye.

I have Razor on my AI but for my RPR I stepped it down slightly to a Gen 2 PST 5-25x MRAD. It’s not a Razor but a RPR isn’t an AI either !! No regrets.

Attachments

• 1F173EEF-AA6C-47CA-97E2-3087758837FE.jpeg
    1F173EEF-AA6C-47CA-97E2-3087758837FE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reactions: Reverend Mark
Had the 6.5 for about a yr now, awesome rifle. Seems hard to get to the long range (too many hobbies), so I hope to make it a point to do so this yr. Mostly shoot boxed 140 or 147 ELDm. Furthest shot was 1230yards with the 147s

Weaver tactical 3-15 ffp EDMR on ADM mount
39391088291_a1a31ddbed_b.jpg

38682790404_b0678b11bd_b.jpg

was out in AZ last month, and went to Ben Avery 100yd for bit
46514728315_8028a871ba_b.jpg

Any suggestions on a scope to put on this fat pig? The Vortex 4.5-27 has caught my eye.
I've got the Vortex Razor 4.5-27 and I'm very pleased with it. It's a very good scope and I believe you would be pleased with it. It is on the heavier side though so if you're concerned about weight you may want to consider others.

I’ve had a Burris XTRII 5-25 and currently moved to Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 also... can’t go wrong with either at the price point. I think I like the glass better on the Vortex and the turret feel... the Burris turrets are hard to turn IMO... or maybe I’m a weak ass, maybe both lol. Either one gets my vote for the price point. Good luck!

Reactions: Reverend Mark
Just got my RPR home and had a look over it...

Here is my setup so far:

RPR Gen 2 6mm Creedmoor
Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 MRAD
Burris XTR Signature Rings 1.5” (only rings the shop had that were close to appropriate) 5mil cant insert in at the moment
Harris 6-9 bipod (off my CZ455 for now)
100 rounds of Hornady Match 108gn ELD

Couple of questions -

Are my 1.5” rings high enough? I have a 6 hour drive to get out to 1000 yards so I will mostly be 300-600

When cycling rounds the Magpul mags seem to have a lot of spring tension and also seems to feed at odd angles (I haven’t shot it yet, will shoot 20 or 30 rounds tomorrow) am I just obsessing? Would a center feed mag be better?

The grip sucks - not really complaining, it’s a $700 gun. But it needs to be replaced. I would like something more vertical. Recommendations?

Dies are ordered, known load data for the 6mm creed with a factory barrel

Sorry for the dumb questions guys

Here is my setup so far:

RPR Gen 2 6mm Creedmoor
Burris XTR Signature Rings 1.5” (only rings the shop had that were close to appropriate) 5mil cant insert in at the moment

Couple of questions -

Are my 1.5” rings high enough? I have a 6 hour drive to get out to 1000 yards so I will mostly be 300-600

When cycling rounds the Magpul mags seem to have a lot of spring tension and also seems to feed at odd angles (I haven’t shot it yet, will shoot 20 or 30 rounds tomorrow) am I just obsessing? Would a center feed mag be better?

The grip sucks - not really complaining, it’s a $700 gun. But it needs to be replaced. I would like something more vertical. Recommendations?

I'm using the Burris XTR Signature Rings om my RPR where my Vortex PST is mounted 1.5" and I haven't had any issues at all with it having fired 4,300 rounds now. It works great for me. But, I guess the height you use really depends on your sight picture and the comfort you have with it.

I feel like I struggled with the grip and that it affected my accuracy. When I went to a vertical grip, my consistency for accuracy improved a lot. I went with the MPA EVG grip ( https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/mpa-evg-enhanced-vertical-grip/ ) and it installed easily. The fit just above the hand is not perfect for the RPR, but it's only an aesthetic issue. I have somewhat large hands and this grip feels nice and puts my trigger finger in a position for what seems like a perfect pull every time.

I seldom use the factory mags as my loads are long out to the lands and the factory mags just don't cut it and often I will hand feed the cartridges which the factory mags do let me do on my .308. So, a center feed mag would probably be a good thing to have even if you can use the factory ones with your loads.

. . . hope this is of some help and give you some ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rate_of_Twist

Here is my setup so far:

RPR Gen 2 6mm Creedmoor

Couple of questions -

Definitely ditch the pmags that came with the rifle. I went to a magpul Asics? It's the 5 rounder that doesn't have the bolt catch,and allows you to seat bullets farther out.

It made a huge difference in the action/feeding. Much smoother now.
Going to try a AI mag soon and see if it's even better.

Definitely ditch the pmags that came with the rifle. I went to a magpul Asics? It's the 5 rounder that doesn't have the bolt catch,and allows you to seat bullets farther out.

It made a huge difference in the action/feeding. Much smoother now.
Going to try a AI mag soon and see if it's even better.

Never thought of this, will try this as well!

I don't remember seeing a post but here is a list of companies making pre-fit barrels for the Ruger Precision that I have so far come across

* This is not all encompassing and some makers also make pre-fit barrels for the magnum precision rifle and some do not
-I will edit and update if people can tell me who else I missed.

* They are in no particular order

White Oak Armament (Bartlein / Shilen blanks)
Krieger
Proof Research (Both Stainless and Carbon)
Long Rifles Inc (LRI)
Lothar Walther
Criterion
Shilen Barrels
Faxon

Reactions: BU37377
I have a Criterion barrel on my 6.5 RPR. It isn’t te second one I have put on it. Rifle will shoot a legit consistent .75 MOA. You can get them for about $525 and put them on yourself if you have the tools and know how. Question to ask yourself is do you want to spend another $300 or more to maybe get another .25 MOA of accuracy? That’s my opinion.

I don't remember seeing a post but here is a list of companies making pre-fit barrels for the Ruger Precision that I have so far come across

* This is not all encompassing and some makers also make pre-fit barrels for the magnum precision rifle and some do not
-I will edit and update if people can tell me who else I missed.

* They are in no particular order

White Oak Armament (Bartlein / Shilen blanks)
Krieger
Proof Research (Both Stainless and Carbon)
Long Rifles Inc (LRI)
Lothar Walther
Criterion
Shilen Barrels
Faxon

Patriot Valley Arms (PVA) also makes pre-fits for the RPR.

Reactions: zblink and BU37377

Here is my setup so far:

RPR Gen 2 6mm Creedmoor

Couple of questions -

I use a Bobsled. Talk about smooth...

Here is my setup so far:

RPR Gen 2 6mm Creedmoor

Couple of questions -

Let us / me know how the first trip out goes. Just ordered a Gen 3 in same caliber to replace the Gen 2 Ruger couldn't repair. Turns out there was no freebore when I got it new. Just curious.

Let us / me know how the first trip out goes. Just ordered a Gen 3 in same caliber to replace the Gen 2 Ruger couldn't repair. Turns out there was no freebore when I got it new. Just curious.

Well, something was terribly wrong with my setup...

Got to the range and it was shooting a couple feet to the right. Even after burying the windage knob, still couldn’t zero.

Took it back to the shop, removed the whole setup, and started over... Tourqued everything to spec, threw a laser boresight on it, still couldn’t zero (a mile to the right)

Left the rifle, optic and rings at the shop I was so disgusted. I’ll find out what’s wrong early next week

• Wow
Reactions: Jcarpenter223

Got to the range and it was shooting a couple feet to the right. Even after burying the windage knob, still couldn’t zero.

Took it back to the shop, removed the whole setup, and started over... Tourqued everything to spec, threw a laser boresight on it, still couldn’t zero (a mile to the right)

Left the rifle, optic and rings at the shop I was so disgusted. I’ll find out what’s wrong early next week

Check your rail. I've read that some were machined incorrectly. Ruger replaced them. FWIW I had loose screws on mine from the factory.

On a side note, anyone have a RPR in 338 Lap??? I am wondering how it feels recoil wise. The Creed goes a pretty long way (had it out to 800 and can hit 36" steel at least 3 out of 5), but was looking to try some mile shooting soon. Thoughts???

The issued brake tames the beast. Much more comfortable than my unbraked .30-06 or a .308 even. I've only been out for one session of 63 rounds but I could've gone all day.

Best group yet was .608 MOA but I haven't done seating depth testing yet, let alone fine powder charge testing. The odd thing is that group size alone indicates a charge at the low end, point of impact change (or lack of) suggests mid range and low velocity ES suggests the upper end. Seating depth testing will be at all three "nodes."

How's the rounds chambering? Factory ammo?

The issued brake tames the beast. Much more comfortable than my unbraked .30-06 or a .308 even. I've only been out for one session of 63 rounds but I could've gone all day.

Best group yet was .608 MOA but I haven't done seating depth testing yet, let alone fine powder charge testing. The odd thing is that group size alone indicates a charge at the low end, point of impact change (or lack of) suggests mid range and low velocity ES suggests the upper end. Seating depth testing will be at all three "nodes."

Technically, if you have the velocity and available MOA, you can go a mile with the 6.5 or the .308. They’re not exactly the correct tools for the job, but they can still get it done.

Reactions: Howland
In between storms I was able to try a few loads through my 6.5 Creedmoor RPR. It's been shooting great with almost anything but this load has promise. Load is a 147 gr ELD in front of 40.5 gr of H4350 in a Hornady case with CCI 200 primer. OAL was 2.805". Velocity was 2611 out of the factory RPR 24" barrel.

I've since removed the Athlon Argos BTR scope and mounted a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 MOA. I also have a Timney trigger on the way that should be here Monday. I'm really liking this rifle.

147 ELD 40.5 H4350.jpg
20190315_125526 (Medium).jpg

^ I never bring my caliper with me anymore, but even if I had one I’d still be totally satisfied lol
When i shot uspsa and was sponsored, id mess with one of my teammates. Id text him a pic of a nice group on a target with my timer. What he didnt realize was i just taped over a hole that definitely would have scored me less points. I had to stop because he was telling everyone that ill be in master class pretty soon and start showing my text pics to everyone. He git sorta mad at ne after i told him. Lol.

Thats a mighty fine group you got there. Does it still hold the same MOA further out?

^ Ha! That’s awesome lol.

It does ok long range. Here’s a couple groups at 600. I always forget my cold bore goes left long range. At 1000 I always shoot f class so I never really get a chance to post an actual group. It does ok for the factory barrel.

B8BA649D-B8AB-4CAE-907D-B952E1DAAD91.jpeg
D01521C9-8D36-4BEF-8A89-96B0CEEB2BA4.png

FC4D46B1-B37C-431B-AC95-F24B23F166E6.png

Reactions: Bender
Hello from Northern California - Bay Area

Posting up my RPR Gen 2 Build. Pretty much done with messing with it. Now working on load development. Best MOA at 100yds was 0.62 minus the flyer lol or 0.75 with factory ELD-X. This was 1st shooting my RPR and a bolt gun for that matter. I know this setup is capable of sub 0.50 MOA was a halfway decent shooter, which isn’t me!

build details

- 24” LRI Polished Barrel 1:8 twist 6.5 CM - setup for Hornady 147 ELD-X
- LRI Cathedral muzzle brake w/LRI timing collar
- Seekins Handguard
- LRI machined bolt shroud
- Target Tool stock and extended mag release
- upgraded Pineapple bolt handle
- Timney 2 stage Flat Face Trigger
- Hogue Overmold Grip
- Harris Bipod w/gg&g quick release mount
- Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50 MRAD
- ZROdelta mount

What’s next?

I’m going to start reloading my own receipe for my RPR. New to reloading, so I’m excited to start something new...

No thread is worth looking at without pics. Sorry, I’m not the best photographer.

61049294-2E84-4DC8-9B42-0094547B4F07.jpeg

07B711C5-28B5-446B-BF3F-99E9FA5DD305.jpeg

F0C8B26E-9624-4ED1-9DDF-146E6FD9A52F.jpeg

0E6BCDF7-7D78-464F-95D6-15217BC90A07.jpeg

* need to look into some cool MOA tools, lol... just realized they have apps for this! ?.

Reactions: BU37377 and cb4017
^ Sweet rifle. I’m sure with a worked up hand load it’ll shoot amazing. Reloading can seem intimidating at first but once you know what you’re doing it’s pretty easy and totally pays off

Reloading can seem intimidating at first but once you know what you’re doing it’s pretty easy and totally pays off

Totally agree.

lol . . . the trick it getting to the point you know what you're doing. Oh . . . and huh, getting the right tools to do what you want to get the results you want.

Yesterday was a day at the range that felt really good as my and loads that I've worked up for 3 different powders all did great giving me the results I just am really happy over. Groups that were all in the .2's and .3's. It's great for me with my really old eyes and doing it with a .308. Knowing what it takes to do better than that, the effort to do so is beyond my ability. The process and these kinds of results are a lot of fun for me and I hope to do it for as long as I can in my short remaining years.

Last edited:
^
Appreciate it. It’s taken me about 4 months to put it together. I’m looking at reloading as a relaxing thing, lol. I’ve been taking my time and be prepping my first 50 once fired brass for a week!

Still acquiring tools as I keep moving along the process. I love the analytics about, witch craft, vudo, etc that goes along with finding the right recipe. It’s totally new to me, never reloaded in my life or even thought about it until I got the RPR. Recently pickup up another bolt gun... Rem 700 5r. It never ends!

^
Appreciate it. It’s taken me about 4 months to put it together. I’m looking at reloading as a relaxing thing, lol. I’ve been taking my time and be prepping my first 50 once fired brass for a week!

Still acquiring tools as I keep moving along the process. I love the analytics about, witch craft, vudo, etc that goes along with finding the right recipe. It’s totally new to me, never reloaded in my life or even thought about it until I got the RPR. Recently pickup up another bolt gun... Rem 700 5r. It never ends!

Yeah . . . it's that precision rifle bug that one gets bit by. ;) Likewise I didn't start reloading until I got my RPR. And like some have expressed, this rabbit hole can get pretty deep. ?

If you haven't see this yet, you may find the attached article of some interest (and maybe even helpful):

Attachments

• secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-by-dave-scott-precision-shooting-magazine-special-edition-1-1...pdf
    307.1 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: sissupr
My buddy had the exact same thing happen with his viper scope. Had to send it to vortex something in the windage turret was pinched all the way right they got it fixed asap and it's shooting great now

Shooting in 10-15 mph gusting winds yesterday. 5 shots at 460 yds. Three inch dot for reference. That isn't a keyhole the target tipped back in gusting wind. Gun shoots .6s on 5x6
20190323_174532.jpg

Reactions: LongRangeLefty
I’ve been seriously contemplating getting the RPR in 300 WinMag. I’m a fan of the RPR and have the .308 and 22lr already. I’ve shot steel out to 1000 yards with .308 and don’t have access to ranges that go beyond 1100 yards within a 6 hour drive. I’m leaning to the 300 WinMag because it very easy to find and cost is reasonable. The rifle is a beast and I would love to own it but if I can’t reasonably get to a range that stretches well past 1100 yards I feel I’m wasting the potential of the rifle not to mention the $1600 to $1900 to buy it, then scope (I could probably pull a Vortex PST from another rifle), rings and a very good bipod that will support this tank of a rifle. Does anyone on the board own the 300 WinMag? If so, how do you like it? All opinions welcome.

I feel like the 300 win mag would be like the classic car in the garage that barely sees the light of day. If you just want to own it and shoot it cause it’s cool then I can certainly understand that. It’s your money. But with my hand loads my RPR .308 goes to 1000 with ease

I feel like the 300 win mag would be like the classic car in the garage that barely sees the light of day. If you just want to own it and shoot it cause it’s cool then I can certainly understand that. It’s your money. But with my hand loads my RPR .308 goes to 1000 with ease
(y)

My RPR .308 easily goes out to 1000 with my hand loads as well . . . and with some good accuracy.

I was in a little different boat when trying to decide what I really wanted when I got ready to swap my barrel out. I though about a 6.5CM as well as maybe going with a 6mm CM. I do quite a bit of shooting on short ranges from 200-300 yds and every so often am able to get out to a 1000 yd range. So, due to length of barrel life and where I shoot most often, I stayed with the .308 as I can put a LOT of rounds through it compared to a 6.5 or 6mm. Beside . . . I like my .308. :giggle:

Reactions: Burnbio
What's the consensus on these ~$800 gen 2 6mm Creedmoor rifles?

I understand going in that for the most part the RPR is good but not the best and I'll probably end up modifying it.

It's between this or a 6.5 Grendel ar15

Reactions: 10ring1