• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Try the Magpul type "AC" They taper to a single file at the top and will not hold the bolt open after last shot. That makes single feeding a lot nicer and I have never had one fail to feed correctly like I have with the stagered presentation feed lips. They are available in 5,10 and 20 round models.
I have 3 of the 5 rounders. I was just curious if people have any experiences with with.

I sort wonder if the nitrided Gen 3 bolts lose some of the galling tendencies.

None of them will gall the bolt lugs if they are properly cleaned and lubricated after each use. Don't mean to be blunt, but those who don't clean and lube are just asking for future failures, or a firearm with a shortened life span..

The galling as shown earlier in the thread is consistent with one of my RPRs. It originated on the ramp face of the lug. I did not dissasemble the rifle to lap the receiver. The edge on the receiver lug probably cut the bolt lug to start the galling process. That would be the result of the manufacturing process. Either way, it is going back to Ruger so they can see it and fix it to their satisfaction.

The galling as shown earlier in the thread is consistent with one of my RPRs. It originated on the ramp face of the lug. I did not dissasemble the rifle to lap the receiver. The edge on the receiver lug probably cut the bolt lug to start the galling process. That would be the result of the manufacturing process. Either way, it is going back to Ruger so they can see it and fix it to their satisfaction.

The bolt was indeed cut from the receiver, I no longer have the images but a small camera was used to inspect the receiver locking lugs. Two were perfect but one had a larger gouge in it than the bolt.

I now clean the receiver lugs after every outing. I have never had a bolt action bolt have such an issue before.

I would lightly oil the bolt body and lugs as grease and dust become sandpaper.

First post here! Picked up my RPR in 308 back around Christmas. I have about 120 rounds through it so far. Got out to the range today with some reloads finally today. Seems the rifle likes the 168's better than the 175's at 200 yrds. I was getting 1" groups with the 168's but couldn't get the consistency out of the 175's today. So far the rifle is beyond expectations. Looks like i will be loading some 168's very soon.

You can store it in the Plano 42” folded but you have to remove the bolt and store it bolt side down so that it’s flat (unless you get a custom foam insert). I’d go with the double rifle case.

I bought the Plano 42” on Amazon for $67. The foam is easy to cut to fit the rifle (stock folded), bolt and a couple of mags. I like the shorter case because it’s much easier to carry back and forth to the range and fits in my car better. I had the longer wheeled case at first but sold it because it was so unwieldy and heavy.

^ Nice. That’s what I like about my little 20” barrel on the .308. Along with that case it’s pretty light and compact.

Toughed the wind and cold to go sight in my gun. What an awesome gun. I am excited for nicer weather. Happy I got the viper pst gen 2. Zero left me with about 18 mils of elevation so should be plenty for me and the gun.

I am curious, I am a keymod noob but is there any tricks to installing the rail section for my bipod? It keeps working loose. It worked loose during mounting of my scope then it worked loose again today after about 8 rounds. My bipod is a Harris pivoting but it keeps working loose and the whole rail starts pivoting.

^ Glad you’re enjoying it. For the rail, make sure the ends of the nuts that go up inside (giggity (had to)) the rail are pointing the right way and use lots of loctite

Possum Bore Guide #5 for RPR 6.5?
This is direct from Possum Hollow - not yet avaiable from retailers as far as I know.
Give them a call - great folks to do business with!
---
you need our #313, give me a call @321-338-7757 or on my cell @260-377-9715
$25 to your door
thanks eric
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor
Date: Sat, April 01, 2017 12:35 am
To: <[email protected]>
I have your bore guides for every rifle I own (many)
EXCEPT my recently purchased Ruger Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
I don’t see this rifle listed in your spreadsheet, and since you don’t list the dimensions of your guides, I have to ask.
Do you have something that will fit it?
Bolt diameter is .855” and is 9.5” long from the front of the locking lugs
A guide would need to be another 2” to clear the action.
Thank you

Reactions: Bender
Toughed the wind and cold to go sight in my gun. What an awesome gun. I am excited for nicer weather. Happy I got the viper pst gen 2. Zero left me with about 18 mils of elevation so should be plenty for me and the gun.

I am curious, I am a keymod noob but is there any tricks to installing the rail section for my bipod? It keeps working loose. It worked loose during mounting of my scope then it worked loose again today after about 8 rounds. My bipod is a Harris pivoting but it keeps working loose and the whole rail starts pivoting.
Sounds like you inserted it backwards. Properly installed it's solid as a rock.... Look at the pics, it is directional on install. Make sure the screws are out far enough but not too far or it won't align correctly. I initially had the same issue until I figured out the screw and direction issue.

First post here! Picked up my RPR in 308 back around Christmas. I have about 120 rounds through it so far. Got out to the range today with some reloads finally today. Seems the rifle likes the 168's better than the 175's at 200 yrds. I was getting 1" groups with the 168's but couldn't get the consistency out of the 175's today. So far the rifle is beyond expectations. Looks like i will be loading some 168's very soon.

Did you try the Nosler 175RDFS, my 308rpr loves them W/imr xbr8208.. besides that it was pretty picky with everything else

This is direct from Possum Hollow - not yet avaiable from retailers as far as I know.
Give them a call - great folks to do business with!
---
you need our #313, give me a call @321-338-7757 or on my cell @260-377-9715
$25 to your door
thanks eric
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor
Date: Sat, April 01, 2017 12:35 am
To: <[email protected]>
I have your bore guides for every rifle I own (many)
EXCEPT my recently purchased Ruger Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
I don’t see this rifle listed in your spreadsheet, and since you don’t list the dimensions of your guides, I have to ask.
Do you have something that will fit it?
Bolt diameter is .855” and is 9.5” long from the front of the locking lugs
A guide would need to be another 2” to clear the action.
Thank you
I’ll give them a call tomorrow afternoon! Thanks!

Mine really likes the 168 gr Nosler CC short range. I’ve been meaning to try the RDF’s for mid range. I didn’t care much for the 175 gr Nosler CC. The 175 SMK did much better. Sticking with my 190 SMK for 1000. It really likes those long range.

After searching all over, i finally found someone making an RRS rail for the RPR gen 2. I ordered one at Sawtoothrifles. I have the area419 universal on a McCrees and it works great, but they aren't planning Keymod anytime soon.

Only thing i have shot through the gun is the sierra matchkings. I may try some other bullets and switch to varget from imr.

After searching all over, i finally found someone making an RRS rail for the RPR gen 2. I ordered one at Sawtoothrifles. I have the area419 universal on a McCrees and it works great, but they aren't planning Keymod anytime soon.
Very cool. I didn’t know this existed. I thought a RRS rail on a seekins SP3 would be a slick setup and now I see that same company makes that! My wife won’t like this either lol

I just picked up my second RPR in 5.56 for practice. My first RPR was in 6.5 Creed. The 6.5 is gnat hitting accurate at 100 and has been from the first round I put through it. It is really easy to make a multiple shot very small (1" or less) group. While I liked my 6.5 from the start, I am having doubts about my selection for a practice rifle. It just doesn't seem to be nearly as accurate even at 100 yards. I am not sure why. I have shot both 5.56 and .223 through it with fairly poor results for either caliber. The 5.56 ammo was Fusion and the 223 was Hornady. Neither got smaller than 3" groups and most were five or so from a beanbag. Granted, I am a new shooter and am still working at my shooting technique. But I can't blame it entirely on technique because of my performance with the 6.5.

At this point, I have a tendency to blame it on the ammo. So, I am going to get some Prime 223 and see if that makes a difference. At nearly a buck a round, it should be good stuff.
Does anyone know of factory target grade 5.56 ammo that is available? Also is there any other 223 that you would recommend that is cheaper? Any other thoughts/ideas you may have??

I just picked up my second RPR in 5.56 for practice. My first RPR was in 6.5 Creed. The 6.5 is gnat hitting accurate at 100 and has been from the first round I put through it. It is really easy to make a multiple shot very small (1" or less) group. While I liked my 6.5 from the start, I am having doubts about my selection for a practice rifle. It just doesn't seem to be nearly as accurate even at 100 yards. I am not sure why. I have shot both 5.56 and .223 through it with fairly poor results for either caliber. The 5.56 ammo was Fusion and the 223 was Hornady. Neither got smaller than 3" groups and most were five or so from a beanbag. Granted, I am a new shooter and am still working at my shooting technique. But I can't blame it entirely on technique because of my performance with the 6.5.

At this point, I have a tendency to blame it on the ammo. So, I am going to get some Prime 223 and see if that makes a difference. At nearly a buck a round, it should be good stuff.
Does anyone know of factory target grade 5.56 ammo that is available? Also is there any other 223 that you would recommend that is cheaper? Any thoughts/ideas you may have??
buy some really expensive MK262 MOD 1 and see what happens. you need to be shooting the 77gr bullets in that 5.56 for it to be worth anything.

Does anyone know of factory target grade 5.56 ammo that is available? Also is there any other 223 that you would recommend that is cheaper? Any other thoughts/ideas you may have??

Black Hills 77 grain OTM (MK 262) or Magtech/CBC does a MK262 copy of that always shot better for me than the BH ammo did (out of my ARs) that box is plain greenish and white and says 77 OTM and I think it just says CBC in it. The older boxes were gold/tan and white. It’s significantly cheaper than even Black Hills white box factory seconds and like I said before it always shot little bit tighter groups for me out of my 16” and 18” semi auto guns.

I had a Mossberg MVP .223 that I’d take out to 500. I know a guy that shoots at 1000 with us with an AI .223 loading 80 gr bullets. Sometimes you can get a better idea of it’s true potential after you start hand loading. Just a thought.

What about bipods? What are you guys using? Prices are all over the place $20-$250.
I love my Atlas BT10... its by far the most popular among the shooters at the PRS matches I attend. I do see a lot of harris' though... they just need a few extra parts to be on par, like the Kahntrol Solutions Podmod Adapters

Reactions: kdarcy
guys that were talking cleaning rods... try the Tipton Max Force.
1519341881069.png

I had a Mossberg MVP .223 that I’d take out to 500. I know a guy that shoots at 1000 with us with an AI .223 loading 80 gr bullets. Sometimes you can get a better idea of it’s true potential after you start hand loading. Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice. I am having a difficult time understanding why I can get accurate 6.5 ammo and 5.56 seems to be crazy at this point. The twist rate should be good for nearly all weights at 1:7. Guess I just don't understand the wide spread at 100 yards with factory ammo. Maybe I am trying to incorrectly compare the two calibers.
Just sayin

Last edited:
Maybe I am trying to incorrectly compare the two calibers.
Just sayin
No reason that a 5.56 can't be just as accurate as the 6.5 at 100-500 yards. I have a 5.56 Ruger SR (piston style AR) that will shoot cloverleafs all day at 100 yards with handloaded match grade 75gr hollowpoints. It will not shoot groups with any factory ammo it has been fed. Just find what it likes, and drill away at those bullseyes.

^ My MVP had a different barrel. I believe it was a 24” 1:9 twist. The most accurate ammo I shot through it was actually Prvi Partizen 62 gr. Which worked out because it’s a cheaper brand. Never would group like my RPR though.

^ My MVP had a different barrel. I believe it was a 24” 1:9 twist. The most accurate ammo I shot through it was actually Prvi Partizen 62 gr. Which worked out because it’s a cheaper brand. Never would group like my RPR though.
This is my dilemma. The 6.5 groups so small it should be against the laws of nature. The 5.56 is the exact opposite. Maddening to my rationale. I'm gonna try one of the ammos suggested. If that doesn't work will probably shop for a new barrel first then, I really don't know what to do.

This is my dilemma. The 6.5 groups so small it should be against the laws of nature. The 5.56 is the exact opposite. Maddening to my rationale. I'm gonna try one of the ammos suggested. If that doesn't work will probably shop for a new barrel first then, I really don't know what to do.
What is the heaviest bullet you’ve used in your box ammo testing?

My MVP seemed to prefer .223 over 5.56, which I guess is a slightly larger diameter most rifles can still use? Or higher pressure too? I can’t remember exactly. I haven’t had a .223 in a very long time