• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I'm about 1500 rounds on stock barrel. And if I do go with proof I'm going to go with steel barrel. My rpr is already a tank I'm not trying or needing to lighten it up. Carbon fiber looks sweet but I'm honestly just going for better accuracy than the stock barrel.
That’s about the same conclusion I have came to. I was more intrested in the carbon barrel from a cooling stand point. Interesting enough it appears that the carbon may help block mirage but may hinder the barrel from actually cooling as quickly.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Same here. If I dry fire 5-10 times before firing first round I don’t see a “cold bore shift”. If it’s a real thing more than likely your rifle will keep stringing away from the cold bore the hotter it gets.
If you are setting your rifle in the sun prior to shooting for a few minutes you can get a low first round hit. Top of barrel expands and barrel is curved slightly down. First round will regulate heat and correct issue real fast as it is such a slight curve.

If you are setting your rifle in the sun prior to shooting for a few minutes you can get a low first round hit. Top of barrel expands and barrel is curved slightly down. First round will regulate heat and correct issue real fast as it is such a slight curve.

:eek: Eeek! I sure hope above was meant as tongue-in-cheek humor. :giggle:

I can’t begin to imagine how one would compensate for this. Results got to be well inside of shooter error.

Reactions: seansmd and CV_Ag
Granted most barrels are temp treated now so they react far less to uneven heating but it is still real. but yeah an inch at 100 seems like a lot.

For me, my impacts don’t walk in. Only my cold bore is off and after that first shot they’re at POA. 3300 rounds on my factory barrel and it still shoots like new, so I’m not complaining anyway

Reactions: GLD1980
Without reading 50 pages, can someone tell me why the .223 RPR went away? I am in the market for a .223 trainer and the RPR with its fast twist and long mags at a great price seems to have checked alot of my boxes. Now I cant find one.

Without reading 50 pages, can someone tell me why the .223 RPR went away? I am in the market for a .223 trainer and the RPR with its fast twist and long mags at a great price seems to have checked alot of my boxes. Now I cant find one.

03psd, not sure why it went away, other than it probably did not sell well. Nevertheless, if you are still interested, here is a link to a 5.56 RPR for a very reasonable price from GrabaGun. They currently show it in stock for $789 plus a flat rate $7.99 firearm shipping charge. Enjoy!

GrabaGun Ruger 5.56 20” RPR

Reactions: rtr
For me, my impacts don’t walk in. Only my cold bore is off and after that first shot they’re at POA. 3300 rounds on my factory barrel and it still shoots like new, so I’m not complaining anyway
Was talking to a bench rest guy I work with today who hunts. He was explaining how Bench rest guys really do not care about cold bore for the most part but hunters and snipers really should care more about it than any other shot. I used to have my section keep cold bore targets on top of what they put in their data books. They were normally not proud of them and were far from MOA regardless of what they shot through the day after. It may be you or it may be the gun. Just limit the possibilities (variables) and see what changes. For shooter issue add a kisser point on the stock, do your dry fire drills for trigger work, breathing, eye position in the box (kisser button helps this), all the basics. For the gun issues, store it different, torque screws to spec, watch the sun as mentioned, clean it differently (or not at all for a couple trips out). Remove variables and see what changes on your cold bore target or data book or wherever you are recording it. Add enviro data to the record as well. At the end of the day who cares as long as you are not in a hide or out hunting cold bore is not a huge deal and a day behind a rifle beats a day behind a desk.

I got a 556 one. I wish they would make bolt faces available. I would buy the 338 and get a bolt for the 300 as well.

I ment I would get the 338 rifle and the 300 bolt face. ETA: Before someone says something, a 300wm barrel as well.

Last edited:
They are cheap enough that it isn't really any more money to just buy another Rpr. More is more gooder.

Check with CDNN Sports, They had them on sale a few weeks ago.

Check with CDNN Sports, They had them on sale a few weeks ago.

Thanks. Just did. They are $850 with a set of free rings, which I wouldnt use. I think grabagun is cheapest I have seen so far. Going to see if my local gun guy can get me something in the ballpark. Like to try to support him when possible.

Reactions: DRAGON64
Thanks. Just did. They are $850 with a set of free rings, which I wouldnt use. I think grabagun is cheapest I have seen so far. Going to see if my local gun guy can get me something in the ballpark. Like to try to support him when possible.
Good luck. Unless they are sitting on sone of the keymod gen 2 the only thing available to order is the new gen 3. Even then thats well under dealer cost on them.

Good luck. Unless they are sitting on sone of the keymod gen 2 the only thing available to order is the new gen 3. Even then thats well under dealer cost on them.

As far as I know the .223 RPR was discontinued prior to gen 3 being released.

Grabagun $789.

Thank you sir. Just ordered one $789 plus $8 shipping. Fantatstic deal. Now just gotta add optics, mount, mags, etc....... This is where it gets pricey!! But hey, at least the rifle itself was a great price. At least thats the arguement I will make with the household CFO!!

Reactions: 2012duramax
Anyone they the WOA 6.5 creed prefit yet?

I got one about a year ago, and I have been happy with it (keep in mind I'm not that good a shooter, only about .75-1.0 MOA generally, so my opinion may be suspect).

Getting 2750 with 40.2 of H4350 and the 140 ELD-M, 2715 with 39.6 of H4350 and the 143 ELD-X and 2650 with 38.6 of H4350 and the 147 ELD-M. I don't know if my 4200' elevation is what gives me those velocities with those powder loads, or what, but others have expressed disbelief when I shared those numbers previously.

I`m eager to get my hands on a .338 Lapua Magnum RPR. Also eager to see aftermarket barrel options, particularly of the QPQ Nitrided variety.

Justgetting into long range precision shoitung, and just got my Ruger Precision in 308 (gen 2 i believe). This thread looks lije a gold mine for me!
Time to start looking into glass and rings for a start...

Justgetting into long range precision shoitung, and just got my Ruger Precision in 308 (gen 2 i believe). This thread looks lije a gold mine for me!
Have fun going down that rabbit hole. I'm sure you will go back and forth and change your mind a million times on what optic you want, but I have the vortex precision rings and they pair up nicely with the RPR. Make sure you get the high ones 1.45"

And for what it's worth , really do your homework on scopes before you decide.
I ended up with a gen 2 pst vortex, which is a great scope for the money.

But....I'm wishing I would have kept saving and bought the gen 2 razor. Nothing wrong with the pst, I think I'm just a scope snob in the making.

I have the .308 as well. It would be nice, but I don’t have the money for a Vortex or Nightforce or any of that business. On a budget, my money was best spent on a SWFA that has been solid and serves me well out to 1000 (farthest I can go). Look into a one piece mount too. They’re used a lot on the RPR

Reactions: Bender
I have the .308 as well. It would be nice, but I don’t have the money for a Vortex or Nightforce or any of that business. On a budget, my money was best spent on a SWFA that has been solid and serves me well out to 1000 (farthest I can go). Look into a one piece mount too. They’re used a lot on the RPR

Check out Vortex's new Diamondback scope. For someone on a tight budget, this is a heck of a deal and there's no one with a better warranty.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...-24x50 FFP-riflescope_with_ebr-2c_moa-reticle

I have a Vortex Viper on my RPR, but wish they had this one available when I bought.

Anyone know if the 300wm or 338 will fit CIP length mags?

Edited: called Ruger CS. The lady didn't really know what I was talking about. Just that they fit SAAMI spec mags.

Last edited:
So......I sold my custom Accurate Ordnance rifle and thinking about picking up something along these lines. RPR vs Tikka Tac? Is the extra money for the Tikka worth it?

Say I went with the RPR.....Should one go with 6.5 creed or buy the cheap closeout 6 creed and rebarrel to whatever? More than likely a 6.5 Creed.

Thanks

Im new to long range as well and found a rpr 6.5 cm. Im in the same boat, searching for optic and mount. Really looking hard at a one piece mount (not sure which one) and have pretty much decided on the viper pst 6-24 (budget allows that).

^ My Warne one piece mount has been kickin ass for a couple years now. Think it was like $80

Still haven't seen any of the magnums up for sale anywhere yet. How soon do you more experienced guys expect to see them on the hide post exchange? I'm all for waiting a bit until the "new" wears off and buying one at a discount if it's not too long.

I just learned the new magnum RPRs have an 18” handguard with the ARCA/dovetail cuts already in them from the factory! I just got an Area 419 rail set up on my 6.5 handguard. Would’ve been nice to have that from the factory. The new ones have the flat bottom similar to Seekins. I’m curious if they’re interchangeable with the other shirt action calibers. Or if they’ll eventually make another generation.

Reactions: Retvet2009
So I picked my RPR up off the secondary market. It already has a LRI Barrel chambered in 308. Next year I plan to rebarrel in 6.5. What is the best bang for the buck on aftermarket barrels for the RPR.

Already determined carbon is not a must or a need. Rather have some extra weight for long range rifle. Money not really as factor.

Pleased with it in 308 but doing a lighter weight build in 308. Eyeing the Fix by Q but want a 6.5 to see how far I can stretch it out.

Also, lastly anyone do the swap on their own? Easy or hard? Should I just take it to a smith. I know the whole no go/go gauge steps. Just wondering am I better off having a smith do it from an accuracy standpoint.

Highly recomend,
Magpul wrench
Barrel vise
Action rod
If you are missing one of these take it to a smth. Proper tools and its 30 minutes or less.

Reactions: Retvet2009