• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I’m 6’2” and have found I like exactly 15” lop. Long arms. I still have the factory stock as well. It’s served me well enough that I haven’t really looked elsewhere yet

Reactions: 10ring1
I’m 6’2” and have found I like exactly 15” lop. Long arms. I still have the factory stock as well. It’s served me well enough that I haven’t really looked elsewhere yet

It’s all good for me on a bench.
But sucks if I have to do this.

Attachments

• 4CD44CA3-29FD-4177-9E18-6761D4A428F9.jpeg
    4CD44CA3-29FD-4177-9E18-6761D4A428F9.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 107
MJC, I'm not shy about modifying my new firearms. If it were mine, I'd lightly spray all sides of the magazine with a cheap flat white and not wait for full drying and work it in and out of the mag well till I can see where it is hanging up. I'd then mask the areas inside the mag well and action as best possible to keep dust out while sanding down the offending areas with emery cloth wrapped around a short piece of wood trim. Blow out the dust, retry the fit and repeat as necessary. I'd use a graphite dry spray lube from a farm and ranch store to refinish the inside of the well. When all done, clean the daylights out of the whole weapon. I agree with the post that recommended not modifying the magazines for the reason stated.

Thanks for the advice but I want ruger to remedy the problem. I'm tired of getting things that don't work. It seems like they (manufs) expect the consumer to accept things that don't work. If I order a burger without onions then thats what I expect. The magazines wedge in so tight that if I removed enough material to make them work then all the anodizing and then some, would be gone in that area. In other words, if I buy a new car, I shouldn't have to take it to a garage (or modify it myself) and have it worked on before I could drive it.

Reactions: riverside jeep
Thanks for the advice but I want ruger to remedy the problem. I'm tired of getting things that don't work. It seems like they (manufs) expect the consumer to accept things that don't work. If I order a burger without onions then thats what I expect. The magazines wedge in so tight that if I removed enough material to make them work then all the anodizing and then some, would be gone in that area. In other words, if I buy a new car, I shouldn't have to take it to a garage (or modify it myself) and have it worked on before I could drive it.
If you have the patience for dealing with Ruger then best of luck! I feel your pain but wouldn't get my hopes on them doing anything fast or painless.

Ruger is pretty good at taking care of their customers if you’re patient like the previous member mentioned. That being said, some rifles slip through their testing. They make a lot of these and no 2 are the same. I had to completely take mine apart and put it back together with the proper torque values. It sucked and was time consuming but I learned more about the rifle in doing so. Call them for a return, box it up, and they will probably put a new lower on it for you to help with the issue. I dislike the aw mags myself and run AICS pmags in mine. I hope you get it figured out.

If you have the patience for dealing with Ruger then best of luck! I feel your pain but wouldn't get my hopes on them doing anything fast or painless.

I’m sure everybody’s experience is different, but Ruger has been badass for me. I bought a 10/22 brand new that wouldn’t run. Called them, they sent me an overnight fedex label, and I had that gun back in 8 days. I couldn’t ask for more. They are the best I’ve seen.

I’m sure everybody’s experience is different, but Ruger has been badass for me. I bought a 10/22 brand new that wouldn’t run. Called them, they sent me an overnight fedex label, and I had that gun back in 8 days. I couldn’t ask for more. They are the best I’ve seen.

That's similar to my experience. Turn around has usually been about 3 weeks at the most, often less than 2. That's sending customer's guns, including guns that are several years old, on their second or third owner, and even occasionally damaged by a negligent owner. Ruger nearly always has them back quickly, free of charge. In most cases they will even provide a postage paid shipping label to send them the firearm.

The only firearm I can remember them refusing to fix for free was an older Mini-14 from the 80's, with a shot out barrel and gas system that had seized up from neglect (rust). They were still willing to fix the rifle, including a re-barrel, but for a fee. And the fee was still less than the shops that specialize in Mini-14s would charge for the same work.

Reactions: JimLee and L2bravo
That's similar to my experience. Turn around has usually been about 3 weeks at the most, often less than 2. That's sending customer's guns, including guns that are several years old, on their second or third owner, and even occasionally damaged by a negligent owner. Ruger nearly always has them back quickly, free of charge. In most cases they will even provide a postage paid shipping label to send them the firearm.

The only firearm I can remember them refusing to fix for free was an older Mini-14 from the 80's, with a shot out barrel and gas system that had seized up from neglect (rust). They were still willing to fix the rifle, including a re-barrel, but for a fee. And the fee was still less than the shops that specialize in Mini-14s would charge for the same work.

Funny enough, they send a memo for a “free upgrade”, for the old 3 screws and Bearcats. Lmao. Those cost them a lot of money.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Evening all. I'm new here so please bear with my ignorance. Bought a ReaPeR in 6 Creed late last fall. Shortly thereafter I dove into reloading like I had two months to live. Long.and shott of it, the more I read about reloading the more I started to think I had an issue with my RPR. It was sent back to Ruger last Saturday and I'm fairly certain I have a serious throat issue. Factory Hornady 108ELD's jammed into lands. I could go into more detail but have already spent a lot of time posting this situation up on another forum so I'll be more specific when this all shakes out. Some pics to burn up server space.
20181104_105501.jpg
20181104_150101.jpg
20190115_191453.jpg
20190106_174510.jpg
mir_20190119_114505.jpg

Last edited:
Evening all. I'm new here so please bear with my ignorance. Bought a ReaPeR in 6 Creed late last fall. Shortly thereafter I drove into reloading like I has two months to live. Long.and shirt of it, the more I read about reloading the more I started to think I had an issue with my RPR. It was sent back to Ruger last Saturday and I'm fairly certain I have a serious throat issue. Factory Hornady 108ELD's jammed into lands. I could go into more detail but have already spent a lot of time posting this situation up on another forum so I'll be more specific when this all shakes out. Some pics to burn up server space.
View attachment 7014980View attachment 7014981View attachment 7014982View attachment 7014983View attachment 7014984

Soooooo, factory ammo jams into the lands?

Yup. Pic of two cartridges is a home made modded case with bullet seated touching lands on the left. Right one is factory ammo. I noticed I really had to force the bolt closed from day one but I thought it just needed break in.

Yup. Pic of two cartridges is a home made modded case with bullet seated touching lands on the left. Right one is factory ammo. I noticed I really had to force the bolt closed from day one but I thought it just needed break in.

That’s not a throat issue. When you said throat, I thought you were going to say fried. This sounds Like a chamber issue.

For a newbie, how can you tell if an RPR has an issue with this? I was looking to buy a 6 creed RPR myself here soon.

Evening all. I'm new here so please bear with my ignorance. Bought a ReaPeR in 6 Creed late last fall. Shortly thereafter I dove into reloading like I had two months to live. Long.and shott of it, the more I read about reloading the more I started to think I had an issue with my RPR. It was sent back to Ruger last Saturday and I'm fairly certain I have a serious throat issue. Factory Hornady 108ELD's jammed into lands. I could go into more detail but have already spent a lot of time posting this situation up on another forum so I'll be more specific when this all shakes out. Some pics to burn up server space.
View attachment 7014980View attachment 7014981View attachment 7014982View attachment 7014983View attachment 7014984

Damnnnnn. You could keep it as a cool looking bullet puller ?

, member: 121756"]For a newbie, how can you tell if an RPR has an issue with this? I was looking to buy a 6 creed RPR myself here soon.[/QUOTE Creed Someone correct me if I am wrong but this problem has not been mentioned in the RPR section of the Hide before now. I am sure Ruger will take care of the problem. Rich I also have a 6mm Creed in RPR and love it. approx. 1/2 MOA with handloads. Grabagun has gen 2 for $780.

Reactions: 10ring1
When I finally started reloading a few years ago I had a couple rounds that the bolt felt a little too snug on while attempting to close. Only happened twice. Just my fuck up I guess. Its never happened again. I ejected them right away and could see tiny rifling marks on the bullet. Nothing like this. DO NOT FORCE THE BOLT CLOSED. Just for future reference to everyone. It’s better to keep your fingers and face right where they are lol

, member: 121756"]For a newbie, how can you tell if an RPR has an issue with this? I was looking to buy a 6 creed RPR myself here soon.[/QUOTE Creed Someone correct me if I am wrong but this problem has not been mentioned in the RPR section of the Hide before now. I am sure Ruger will take care of the problem. Rich I also have a 6mm Creed in RPR and love it. approx. 1/2 MOA with handloads. Grabagun has gen 2 for $780.
Thanks for the tip! I was actually looking at that Grabagun one - hoping to order it this weekend. Any reason you went with 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed? It’s not as common and I don’t reload yet, but I talked to one of the top PRS guys and he said he thought it was worth it to go 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed for PRS comps so I’m planning to give it a shot.

Any reason you went with 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed? It’s not as common and I don’t reload yet, but I talked to one of the top PRS guys and he said he thought it was worth it to go 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed for PRS comps so I’m planning to give it a shot.

If you haven't seen it yet, you might like to take a look at this article, which just might answer your question:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/

Thanks for the tip! I was actually looking at that Grabagun one - hoping to order it this weekend. Any reason you went with 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed? It’s not as common and I don’t reload yet, but I talked to one of the top PRS guys and he said he thought it was worth it to go 6mm Creed over 6.5mm Creed for PRS comps so I’m planning to give it a shot.
I went with the 6 because I like to be a little different (0.5mm different). I already had tons of 6mm bullets ( 6 dasher, RPR 243, Remington 243, 6BR).

If you don't reload check out Ammoseek they have a large selection of 6mm Creeds to choose from some at $.86 per round

Reactions: richthe1
My RPR barrel has almost 1200 rounds through it. I want to place an order now since the wait with some makers is at least couple of months. I was looking a a Patriot Valley barrel or Krieger. Anyone shooing one of these barrels? What are your thoughts?

When you checked OAL, did u notice the significant difference in suggested vs what ur getting there? That is a very rare occurrence. Surprised the chamber didn't cause catastrophic failure as there is an obvious major issue.

My RPR barrel has almost 1200 rounds through it. I want to place an order now since the wait with some makers is at least couple of months. I was looking a a Patriot Valley barrel or Krieger. Anyone shooing one of these barrels? What are your thoughts?
I am in the same boat. I am thinking about 6 Creed or 6 Dasher for replacements.

I chose 6 because I already had a 6.5. Dont see too much need for two of the same caliber. I was buying 200 rounds at a time (Hornady 108 ELD Match) from TargetSportsUSA and getting them for about a buck a round, with their annual memebership.

Reactions: Braunschweiger

After 3,700 rounds through my RPR, I swapped my factory barrel out for a Krieger SS 24" (installed it myself in about 1/2 hr) and now have 322 rounds through it as I recently found some loads giving me groups in the threes. A few more trips to the range ought to tell me if I'm going to be able to consistently get those kinds of groups (using hand loads for .308). Am very pleased with the barrel as I'm getting what I hoped for: more accuracy, higher velocities, easier cleaning. . . as well as good customer service.

It only took about a week to get the barrel from Krieger. So, it won't take long to get one from them . . . unless they happen to be out of stock at the time you order.

After 3,700 rounds through my RPR, I swapped my factory barrel out for a Krieger SS 24" (installed it myself in about 1/2 hr) and now have 322 rounds through it as I recently found some loads giving me groups in the threes. A few more trips to the range ought to tell me if I'm going to be able to consistently get those kinds of groups (using hand loads for .308). Am very pleased with the barrel as I'm getting what I hoped for: more accuracy, higher velocities, easier cleaning. . . as well as good customer service.

It only took about a week to get the barrel from Krieger. So, it won't take long to get one from them . . . unless they happen to be out of stock at the time you order.
What kind of accuracy were you seeing from the stock barrel? and what kind of velocity increases are you seeing?

Sweet. I have 3400 on my stock .308 and see consistent 1/2 moa or better, so I haven’t bothered to change. Consistent threes would be nice though. What kind of load are you using?

Reactions: 6gunner
What kind of accuracy were you seeing from the stock barrel? and what kind of velocity increases are you seeing?

The factory barrel was giving me at and just a little under 1/2 in MOA. And I'm seeing around a 3% velocity increase on various loads.

Reactions: Brent B
Anyone have anything negative to say about PR carbon barrels before I order one? I was also looking at Dracos and Krieger as well.

Before I got my Krieger barrrel, I was seriously considering the PR carbon barrel for my RPR. After a lot of research and careful consideration, I decided against it as I don't use my RPR for hunting. There's really only three advantages that I see: 1. Weight reduction 2. Reduced mirage coming off the barrel 3. Stiffer barrel

Oh, and guess 4th . . . it's cool looking.

Other than price, there's not much negative about the PR carbon fiber barrel. Just keep in mind that that carbon fiber wrapping around the steel core acts as an insulator and so the inside parts of the barrel don't cool down as fast as one might think since the outside doesn't feel as though anything is heating up much.

Last edited:
Sweet. I have 3400 on my stock .308 and see consistent 1/2 moa or better, so I haven’t bothered to change. Consistent threes would be nice though. What kind of load are you using?

Short range it's 41.0 Varget with 168 SMK's and 43.6 Varget with 175 SMKs for beyond 600 yrds

PS: My factory barrel was still shooting accurately, I had just planned on making the change as some point and my birthday seeming like a good time to do it. :giggle:

Last edited:
Short range it's 41.0 Varget with 168 SMK's and 43.6 Varget with 175 SMKs for beyond 600 yrds

PS: My factory barrel was still shooting accurately, I had just planned on making the change as some point and my birthday seeming like a good time to do it. :giggle:
Happy birthday!!! Nothing like a 24 inch birthday candle to brighten up your day:D

Before I got my Krieger barrrel, I was seriously considering the PR carbon barrel for my RPR. After a lot of research and careful consideration, I decided against it as I don't use my RPR for hunting. There's really only three advantages that I see: 1. Weight reduction 2. Reduced mirage coming off the barrel 3. Stiffer barrel

Oh, and guess 4th . . . it's cool looking.

Other than price, there's not much negative about the PR carbon fiber barrel. Just keep in mind that that carbon fiber wrapping around the steel core acts as an insulator and so the inside parts of the barrel don't cool down as fast as one might think since the outside doesn't feel as though anything is heating up much.

I wont be using my RPR for hunting either and all of your points are valid except that to me you just described the perfect precision barrel. I'll only take my 6.5 out to maybe 1500m. Anything beyond that, I'll buy a Gen3 in 338LM.

I wont be using my RPR for hunting either and all of your points are valid except that to me you just described the perfect precision barrel. I'll only take my 6.5 out to maybe 1500m. Anything beyond that, I'll buy a Gen3 in 338LM.

The two factors that were the deal breaker for me was:

1. Except for hunting, I didn't want to reduce the weight of my gun in order to keep recoil down (which would be particularly important for something like a 338 . . . mine is .308).

2. I live and shoot in Arizona where temps while shooting can be quite high and don't want a barrel that gets hot fast and cools down slow.

Reactions: GA_medic
The two factors that were the deal breaker for me was:

1. Except for hunting, I didn't want to reduce the weight of my gun in order to keep recoil down (which would be particularly important for something like a 338 . . . mine is .308).

2. I live and shoot in Arizona where temps while shooting can be quite high and don't want a barrel that gets hot fast and cools down slow.

That makes sense. I wondered the same about the heat cycles on it. I wont be shooting in rapid succession and will likely be under the cover of a ranges bench rest. My 6.5 isnt all that heavy at 16.2 lbs. I'll look into a Krieger instead. Thanks for the input.

Nice! I load up 190 SMKs with 42.5 gr Varget and just let them rip a hole at any distance

Today I shot five rounds at 400 yards. Load is 40 grain H4350, Berger 105 VLD Target with WLR primers. FPS 2833
Shot off one of my precision match obstacles. Not rock steady. BallisticsARC called for .1 click for windage which I did not dial in. Scope at 1.7
The bullet impact I’m pointing at was one of three extra rounds I had loaded up with 42 grains of H4350. First two were off target so I turned scope from 1.7 to 1.3 and bullseye.
I’m going to try some different primers & loads to get my FPS up.
I did the RPR trigger spring removal and the trigger is lighter however I would like to see it even more lighter.
I have been dry firing a couple hundred times a day during this cold blast. Getting to know the rifle better every day.

Attachments

• 829B4B8B-5988-424F-9177-9D6DA4D158DB.jpeg
    829B4B8B-5988-424F-9177-9D6DA4D158DB.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 48
Also today I ordered the 419 ARCA rail for my rifle. This should help it sit flat and not roll around side to side.
Very nice! Catalyst Arms made a new handguard that’s very interesting. I may look into one.

I’d get a Proof through Stockys the next time they run a 10% off sale. I put one on my buddies RPR and it shoots as good with the cheapest Hornady factory ammo (American Gunner) as the LRI I put on one of mine did with handloads.

With the additional 10% they run almost any and all holidays or occasion they’re less than $400 for a premium cut rifled barrel. I don’t see any reason to pay more for anything else unless you’re dead set on a length or chambering that they don’t offer.

Proof recently became a brand on ExpertVoice (formerly Experticity).

If you qualify for ExpertVoice and want an invite PM me.

All of my new parts just came in for my build. Last thing to order is my Krieger barrel and then everything will be sent off for Cerakote and reassembly. Then it will be time to start shooting.

Quick question because I’m not home to measure....what length cleaning rod do I need for an RPR with 24” barrel?
Thanks!!

Quick question because I’m not home to measure....what length cleaning rod do I need for an RPR with 24” barrel?
Thanks!!
tip of muzzle break to the back of breech when stock is folded is 37.5 inches in my RPR 243 so add several inches. however Ruger says the 243 is a 26 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: notez2beat
Reactions: theaoguy