• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Can you simply swap out the Gen 2 hand guard and replace it with a Gen 3 version? Without having to remove the barrel nut, etc.?

Can you simply swap out the Gen 2 hand guard and replace it with a Gen 3 version? Without having to remove the barrel nut, etc.?

It’s a different handguard nut with different mounting points. I’ve been researching it for a while now.

Reactions: mensajd
I have never owned a bolt gun before and am interested in getting my first one. Been looking at a RPR in 6.5 creedmore to do basically bench shooting at my local range that goes out to 300 Yards. I do have some areas that I can shoot out to a mile. Just wandering if this is going to be more Gun than I really need? If so what would you suggest for a first bolt gun? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I would say it's only going to be too much gun if you want to tote it around hunting, of if you're not super interested in accuracy. To my mind, these are the two main applications of bolt action rifles.

If you are interested in accuracy, then the RPR is a *great* entry-level rifle for that. As stated above, I just got one too (all other rifles have been semi autos)

I chose 6.5 due to better ballistics further out compared to 308 and also the tons of info available info on the internets about reloading (almost as much as 308)

I am overjoyed with my purchase and have been having a blast going to the range and shooting groups that are one ragged hole!

Enjoy

Reactions: Woodwreck
Just to add to this my RPR routinely shoots .5 or better with FGMM and always better with Handloads. It’s a great rifle.

Just to add to this my RPR routinely shoots .5 or better with FGMM and always better with Handloads. It’s a great rifle.
Not a direct comparison but my 6mm CR also shoots 1/2MOA or better with factory ammo. It's so easy it's feels like cheating. The first group I ever fired through the gun after a "one round zero" fell into approximately 3/8th inch at 100 yards. The next distance was 265 yards, the longest we can get at this particular property. First group went into .750, last group went into 1.2. I can't see adding $4k to the price doing any better.

Fit, finish, and quality of materials.

Still, my Ruger RPRs and Savage F/TRs are competitive on square ranges, shot in those disciplines.

Sure, I'd like to have a Tubb 2000 or two and a few Kelblys but those are too rich for my budget.

The Rugers and Savages get you started. Sounds entry to me.

Last edited:
I love how folks call the RPR an "entry" level rifle. What's the difference between a $1k rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA groups and a $5k rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA groups other than $4k?

I agree with that even though I myself call the RPR a "entry level"...relatively speaking. I have one in 6.5CM and reached out to 1000 yards within two weeks of buying it but with my personality within a few months I started to plan for a "custom build". It's a hell of a "entry level" rifle and I highly recommend them. I have no intention on selling mine.

Yeah, maybe the price makes it entry level. Certainly it isn't performance. Ultimately the only thing that matters is hits on target, no matter what launched the bullet and in my limited experience with the RPR I don't see any need to look for reasons to spend four or five times more to accomplish the same thing. Loving my RPR.

Well 1300 rounds down the factory barrel. The throat has grown to a point where I can't load in a mag and still be .020 off of the lands. The rifle still shoots sub-half moa though so I'm still staying with the factory 6.5CM barrel. How much life should I expect from this barrel....2,000, 2,500.... what say ye?

Did you record erosion as it progressed? Probably noticed it slowed down. I would start getting everything together to anticipate the replacement. Look at LRIs barrels. I have a 26" for Berger 140g Hybrids, because it costs 540$ per 1000 I will be getting the 140ELD barrel next time. I am at 1600 rounds. My factory barrel was a .308 and sold with zero rounds fired.

I would say it's only going to be too much gun if you want to tote it around hunting, of if you're not super interested in accuracy. To my mind, these are the two main applications of bolt action rifles.

If you are interested in accuracy, then the RPR is a *great* entry-level rifle for that. As stated above, I just got one too (all other rifles have been semi autos)

I chose 6.5 due to better ballistics further out compared to 308 and also the tons of info available info on the internets about reloading (almost as much as 308)

I am overjoyed with my purchase and have been having a blast going to the range and shooting groups that are one ragged hole!

Enjoy
Ragged holes at 100 give you these at 250....
20200908_195223.jpg

Reactions: gigamortis
"Entry level" is relative..

If your only experience with long range shooting has been with a Savage Axis, then the RPR is top shelf.

If your only experience with long range shooting has been with a custom action (Defiance, BigHorn, ARC, etc.,) then the RPR is definitely "entry level".

Having owned a couple of ~$4k+ rifles and owned/shot more than 1 RPR, I'd call it "entry level" in terms of fit/finish, but certainly not in terms of accuracy in the examples I've seen.

Reactions: TRG65
Having owned a couple of ~$4k+ rifles and owned/shot more than 1 RPR, I'd call it "entry level" in terms of fit/finish, but certainly not in terms of accuracy in the examples I've seen.

I agree, that their's just a huge difference when comparing the fit & finish. I've not owned any high end rifles (like anything close to $4k+), but I've fire a couple and the one big thing that stands out is the action and how nicely the bolt opens and closes without disturbing your firing position . . . unlike the stiff bolt action of an RPR. Put a high end or custom barrel on an RPR and it does surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Question for the 308 gurus; the original model number for the Gen 2 308 rifles was 18004. Today I ordered a 18014 model from Sportsman Outdoors. Both models are claiming that they are the Gen 2 models with the keymod handguard. I can find no mention from Ruger on the 18014 model, yet a number of businesses were selling it, with Sportsman Outdoors Supercenter still having limited inventory. Visually, the images depict the 18014 model as having the Ruger marked magazine, instead of the pmag. I plan to email Ruger shortly for the lowdown, but wanted to reach out to the group first.

Model 18014:

ruger-precision-bolt-action-rifle-1474089-1.jpg

Question for the 308 gurus; the original model number for the Gen 2 308 rifles was 18004. Today I ordered a 18014 model from Sportsman Outdoors. Both models are claiming that they are the Gen 2 models with the keymod handguard. I can find no mention from Ruger on the 18014 model, yet a number of businesses were selling it, with Sportsman Outdoors Supercenter still having limited inventory. Visually, the images depict the 18014 model as having the Ruger marked magazine, instead of the pmag. I plan to email Ruger shortly for the lowdown, but wanted to reach out to the group first.

Model 18014:

View attachment 7420510

My Gen2 just has 1801 followed by the serial number and the mags are stamped as a PMAG.

It's my understanding that Gen1 was 1800 and a Gen3 would be like 1802. As you plan to do, you're best source for the information will be to contact Ruger direct. 🤷‍♂️

I agree, that their's just a huge difference when comparing the fit & finish. I've not owned any high end rifles (like anything close to $4k+), but I've fire a couple and the one big thing that stands out is the action and how nicely the bolt opens and closes without disturbing your firing position . . . unlike the stiff bolt action of an RPR. Put a high end or custom barrel on an RPR and it does surprisingly well.
I am in the same boat, there is nothing wrong with the RPR and it certainly isn't holding my performance back.

There are times that I think my RPR is just fine and there is no reason to ever really upgrade, but then I shoot someone else's custom rifle and I can't help but dream about having one for awhile after that; a custom is a "nice to have" not a necessity.

Reactions: Hardpan
I am in the same boat, there is nothing wrong with the RPR and it certainly isn't holding my performance back.

There are times that I think my RPR is just fine and there is no reason to ever really upgrade, but then I shoot someone else's custom rifle and I can't help but dream about having one for awhile after that; a custom is a "nice to have" not a necessity.
My RPR shoots just as good as my custom rig that has a Bartlien barrel. Sure the RPR barrel plus the fit and finish isn’t perfect but after some time wearing it in and adding your personal touches I can’t see that rifle holding me back. Sure the bolt is clunky but put 3-4K rounds and hours of dry fire practice and it will smooth out.

Reactions: CNC-Dude
When I have those times I do up what it would cost me to build my custom rifle in Excel. I look at the total cost. I compare that to what I spent on my RPR and think about how well it shoots.

I have about 2700 dumped into an RPR. Everything has upgraded except the mag release. The four major upgrade which produced the most output have been the 26" SS LRI barrel for 140 Berger, Timney 2 stage #650ST, VTAB buttpad mod and the round bolt knob. This rifle has produced 4 of my personal best groups. 2.53", 2.96", 3.11" and 3.76" at 1000 yards. The planets aligned! This barrel has 1600 rounds logged. Next barrel will not be for the Berger HB 140. $54/100 is too steep for me. I'll get the 140 ELD throat instead.

Attachments

• RPR.jpg
    RPR.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 189
I have about 2700 dumped into an RPR. Everything has upgraded except the mag release. The four major upgrade which produced the most output have been the 26" SS LRI barrel for 140 Berger, Timney 2 stage #650ST, VTAB buttpad mod and the round bolt knob. This rifle has produced 4 of my personal best groups. 2.53", 2.96", 3.11" and 3.76" at 1000 yards. The planets aligned! This barrel has 1600 rounds logged. Next barrel will not be for the Berger HB 140. $54/100 is too steep for me. I'll get the 140 ELD throat instead.
That's some might fine shootin no matter what type of rifle it came out of. Good job.

Thank you! in dead calm conditions that rifle will produce 4-5" at 1000 so frequently that It can be boring. (It's actually parked this season) I use a atlas 5H and rear bag full of lead shot. The 18" handguard sticks that bipod so far out of reach but has unmatched stability. Not practical but my god its solid. I used to run a PRS but once I found the VTAB I fell in love when I matched it with the Ergo PSG type grip.

What have you done to yours?

So I called Ruger, and they have no data on the 18014 model, stating that this might have been an instore exclusive for some businesses. I did indeed order one from the Sportsman Outdoor business, as they are showing in stock (and I wanted a NEW Gen2). I have an email into them now to see what they define the 18014 is...

Really nice shooting!! I just put a PVA barrel on and am waiting for the weather to be better. Can’t wait to see what it does at 1000 yards with prime.

So I called Ruger, and they have no data on the 18014 model, stating that this might have been an instore exclusive for some businesses. I did indeed order one from the Sportsman Outdoor business, as they are showing in stock (and I wanted a NEW Gen2). I have an email into them now to see what they define the 18014 is...

How come you want a Gen 2 - the M-lok vs key mod forend?

Load development for 6mm creedmoor. 42.1 and 41.8 gr H4350 behind berger hybrid 105 gr bullets at 100 yds. Less than 100 rounds in, but I've found my favorite load. The factory RPR barrel doesn't suck though it is a bit on the slow side.

Attachments

• IMG_2786[1].JPG
    IMG_2786[1].JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2605[2].JPG
    IMG_2605[2].JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: gigamortis
Load development for 6mm creedmoor. 42.1 and 41.8 gr H4350 behind berger hybrid 105 gr bullets at 100 yds. Less than 100 rounds in, but I've found my favorite load. The factory RPR barrel doesn't suck though it is a bit on the slow side.
have you tried taking it off yet? :sneaky:

• Haha
My RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor shot .5 MOA's from day one. After about 300 rounds and some load development, it is consistently between 1/4 and 3/8 MOA's. I'll bet you could never build a more accurate gun as this for the same $1100 I paid for this gun. Nothing wrong with trying to build your own gun, but it's not likely you are going to create a better mousetrap than companies that have decades of R&D and millions of dollars invested in specialized machinery to build firearms that are intended to be "precision" right out of the box.

If you can score a gen 1 cheaper or used you could get a Midwest Industries 18”

After extensive research through last night and all morning (Analysis Paralysis), I am beginning to lean towards the Gen 3 now... I also amended my WTB to reflect as much.

I've been considering the VTAB as the factory pad sits very high on my shoulder. Would be nice to lower it a little and put more of the pad on my shoulder. I'm not liking some of the reviews I see, however. Some complain about the required use of an aftermarket pad and one guy complained about it's construction. I see comments here so what you think about the VTAB? Worth it? Could be better?
Thanks

I am a huge advocate for the VTAB and Limbsaver. I had the Magpul Gen 1 PRS until I found this little gem. The cost is not bad. 85 part+ 35 pad. It kept me from selling my RPR. I think the rifle truly became something else once I installed the tuxedo grip and flat Timney trigger. I say buy it and try it yourself. If you hate it send it back and get a refund. You lose shipping $ but big deal.

Anyone here have their old factory barrel in 6.5 they maybe upgraded from straight away? If so feel free to PM me.....thanks

Just a heads up, a Wheeler AR vise will hold the reciever while doing a barrel change with no marks to upper. Best $23 bucks I ever spent. Works on RPR and all my AR's
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.exploreproducts.com\/media\/wheeler-delta-series-ar15-upper-vise-block-156444-lg.jpg"}[/IMG2]
Thanks for the info. That’s good stuff.

Just saying hi from Jacksonville, FL... Been waiting for my lgs to get RPRs in stock for almost a year while watching other shops get them. I've been patient since he has always taken care of us and it enabled me to stall the inevitable spend lol. During my wait and asking about the RPR so much it piqued 2 of my shooting buddy's interest and they have also put in orders for RPRs so now we have 2 in our group and one more on the way lol. Without further ado onto the pics
S4xc8hYl.jpg

Gen 2 6.5 CM
Burris XTR II 8-40 X 50
Burris High (1.5") XTR Signature Rings
Seekins Red Ambi Selector
Magpul MOE +Grip
Harris Swivel 6-9 bipod with KMW Pod-Loc

Here's a couple pics of some of my better groups from 100yards. These were shot with Hornady super performance 129gr factory loads. I've got a lot to learn and bad habits to break but I am really looking forward to getting more time behind this baby.

o6cTpH1l.jpg

First shot was the one that was way off so I grabbed a measurement w/o it

eHM6y1Il.jpg

measuring the group including the one I yanked

4O0jEK3l.jpg

LOVING IT!
I recently purchased a RPR in 6.5 PRC and love it. I don’t have any pictures but mine shoots just as good as yours does. There is very little recoil and it’s a tac driver. 👍

Tried out some of the new 308 Hornady 168 grain ELD Match rounds from my Gen 1 RPR. Got a really 5 round tight group about 0.5" from center to center. I wished I had saved my other targets but this was at 100 yards. But was getting these types of groups out of Sig Sauer 175 grain SMK's too as well. This was shot with a suppressor so the point of impact was about 2" lower.

NiCZMfTl.jpg

Reactions: DRAGON64
I swapped the factory brake on my Gen 3 6.5CM with a APA Fat Bastard and got to try it out today and WOW what a difference it made. I wish I had a medium to compare it to but before I really couldn't stay on target after a shot but can definitely now. It's night and day difference. Length and weight wasn't a concern so I went with the Fat. I didn't use any of the tuning ports...just wide open.Just wanted to share my experience.

Reactions: Islander
What is everyone using for an ambi safety (if at all)? I tried installing a Seekins on my RPR with a Jard trigger and it wasn't having it. Ended up putting the stock one back in. It's a Gen2 6mm CM

Just received a tacking update from Buds; my 308 Gen III has been delivered to my selected FFL...WOOT! I also have an ERGO vertical grip and an SWFA 3-15X42 FFP scope set to delver by Saturday. Too bad the weekend looks like a wet weather event.

Anecdotal cool story bro warning; but I've got a new-to-me RPR in 6.5CM & stock barrel and have only had it out once for a few rounds. My range is 10 minutes down the road, so I grabbed 5 rounds and went down there real quick to get a velocity since the temps have dropped with fall weather moving in. Just put a new scope on it too so needed to get it rezero'd @ 100y.

Shot #1: Write down velocity, shot on paper, measure adjustment with reticle and make changes
Shot #2: Write down velocity, needs a bit more quick adjustment
Shot #3: Write down velocity, hit what I was aiming at
Shot #4: Write down velocity
Shot #5: Write down velocity

Walk down to pull my target and hurry back home. Get down there and those 3 rounds are one hole'd. Measured on the computer it comes out to 0.19 MOA. Doesnt "count" because nowhere near enough shots to matter, but I was still pleasantly surprised. Not bad for a "cheap" gun with a stock barrel.

I would have shot another group but was literally out of ammo

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGON64
Has anyone experienced lose of barrel life when switching from the factory barrel to a cut rifled barrel?