• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Ok,

I took the RPRR out today to function test it.

Overall, it shot well, and it seemed to like the ammo I tested today.

I was shooting from a bipod at 25 yards, and I did well overall. (It super clear that I need to work on my 22LR skills... heh.)

I’ll test ammo from the Spec-Rest tomorrow, which should hold the rifle completely still.

I was playing around the CCI “Clean-22”; nylon coated 22 LR bullets.

This was the best group, minus the flier. (4 shots in a ragged hole, then a flier.)

15824298-A8B5-4AD8-BA4D-EAFB5A67B728.jpeg E9557F18-295D-445B-B0C4-BAED38DFE1A8.jpeg13B81DE4-D657-4C14-AE65-1F613BACDB5A.jpeg93A7648F-0791-4A70-AE49-03BA9B893327.jpeg3369103E-7738-4638-87D8-996FEAFC2DD9.jpeg

Last edited:
I just put a whistlepig 16 1/2” barrel on my sons RP rimfire. The weight difference is stunning. He was having issues anytime he had to shoot unsupported in matches. Removing the little bit of length was a big help to. The rifle was just a touch too long for him in the muzzle down position. I will be heading to the range tomorrow to zero it in for a match this Sunday. I am really hoping for great things from this barrel. The factory barrel was okay but it was very picky with ammo and never came close to shooting as well as our other rifles. Once I get it out to the range I will shoot some photos and give a range report here.

Have him try the CCI “Clean-22”

It does not foul the barrel, and doesn’t need lube.

I was able to do .34x at 50 yards today... with a Lilja barrel.

Last edited:
We have been getting the best results with Wolf ME and Eley Edge. We had one lot of CCI SV that was amazing about a year ago but since then nothing CCI shoots very well. We have had a few that have been okay out to 100 yards but when you get to 200-300 the inconsistency in velocity really starts to show.

Reactions: elfster1234
Well I got the Whistlepig barrel installed and went to the range to zero the scope with the new barrel. I started out with about 50 rounds of CCI SV to get a little fouling in the barrel. After that I shot Eley Edge, Wolf ME, Lapua Center X and SK Rifle Match. Nothing I shot would shoot less than 1” at 50 yards. In contrast every one of these ammos shot around .5” with the stock barrel. I also tried all of them in my Tikka and Savage MKii. With my Tikka two of the ammos were shooting very close to .25” five shot groups at 50 yards and all shot around .5 in the savage. It would shoot a few nice and tight then I wouldn’t get a flyer way outside of the group. The scope and rail are tight so that isn’t an issue. I sent an email to whistepig asking if they could give me torque specs to make sure I did everything correct but as of right now I am afraid I may have got a lemon. Maybe I just need to put more ammo through it but I already put close to 200 rounds through it trying different ammo so that doesn’t seem likely.

Well I got the Whistlepig barrel installed and went to the range to zero the scope with the new barrel. I started out with about 50 rounds of CCI SV to get a little fouling in the barrel. After that I shot Eley Edge, Wolf ME, Lapua Center X and SK Rifle Match. Nothing I shot would shoot less than 1” at 50 yards. In contrast every one of these ammos shot around .5” with the stock barrel. I also tried all of them in my Tikka and Savage MKii. With my Tikka two of the ammos were shooting very close to .25” five shot groups at 50 yards and all shot around .5 in the savage. It would shoot a few nice and tight then I wouldn’t get a flyer way outside of the group. The scope and rail are tight so that isn’t an issue. I sent an email to whistepig asking if they could give me torque specs to make sure I did everything correct but as of right now I am afraid I may have got a lemon. Maybe I just need to put more ammo through it but I already put close to 200 rounds through it trying different ammo so that doesn’t seem likely.

That sucks. I would send it back.

Did you get the match chamber?

For the price they need to shoot well. My boys is still shooting well. I need a lead sled or something like that to really ring it out.

When I installed it I used the SWAG on barrel torque.... I have no idea how tight it is on there.

Yeah, I got one with a Bentz chamber. 16 1/2” long 1:16 twist. I’m waiting to hear back from Whistlepig before I cash it in though. My hope is it’s something I did wrong though I don’t know what tcould be. I’m going to go over the rifle one more time really well tonight just to make sure I didn’t miss something. At this point my other sons dead stock 10/22 shoots better though which obviously isn’t right. I’m sure the maker will take care of me though. Usually small companies like that have good customer service. The thing that really stinks is we have a match on Sunday and my son was really looking forward to using the lighter rifle. We may just have to switch back to the factory barrel tomorrow.

Yeah, I got one with a Bentz chamber. 16 1/2” long 1:16 twist. I’m waiting to hear back from Whistlepig before I cash it in though. My hope is it’s something I did wrong though I don’t know what tcould be. I’m going to go over the rifle one more time really well tonight just to make sure I didn’t miss something. At this point my other sons dead stock 10/22 shoots better though which obviously isn’t right. I’m sure the maker will take care of me though. Usually small companies like that have good customer service. The thing that really stinks is we have a match on Sunday and my son was really looking forward to using the lighter rifle. We may just have to switch back to the factory barrel tomorrow.

I hear you. If I could go back and do it over again I would forgo the RPRr and just buy a Kidd ULW barreled gun (~750) and drop it in the Black hawk axiom stock until he gets bigger.

I was thinking the adjustability of the RPRr as well as teaching him to run a bolt gun was more important but looking back, he runs my 10-22 just fine and even though the axiom stock isn’t the best it would work.

Now I have his RPRr working well and shooting well so it’s not a big deal but I might have lucked out.

Btw if your barrel doesn’t work out. Beyer was considering making some barrels and that might be another one to talk to.

I hear you. If I could go back and do it over again I would forgo the RPRr and just buy a Kidd ULW barreled gun (~750) and drop it in the Black hawk axiom stock until he gets bigger.

I was thinking the adjustability of the RPRr as well as teaching him to run a bolt gun was more important but looking back, he runs my 10-22 just fine and even though the axiom stock isn’t the best it would work.

Now I have his RPRr working well and shooting well so it’s not a big deal but I might have lucked out.

Btw if your barrel doesn’t work out. Beyer was considering making some barrels and that might be another one to talk to.

The rifle has actually been almost perfect for him. The barrel is just too heavy for off hand shooting for him. If we can get this barrel to shoot we will be set. I’m about to go over the rifle one more time to make sure I didn’t miss something and hopefully I will hear from WhistlePig.

The rifle has actually been almost perfect for him. The barrel is just too heavy for off hand shooting for him. If we can get this barrel to shoot we will be set. I’m about to go over the rifle one more time to make sure I didn’t miss something and hopefully I will hear from WhistlePig.

I have his number somewhere. You can shoot him a text too. Let me know and I will look for it

Louis got right back to me. Great customer service. He seems to think something is wrong with the barrel since I’m having the same issue with several types of ammo that should shoot relatively well. He told me just to send the barrel back in and he would replace it.

So my 16 year old son saved and saved and finally had enough to buy his new RPRR. Shot it 15 times, every single one ended with a FTE. Calling Ruger Monday. Not happy at all. No matter how fast/slow I worked the bolt... nothing. Seems to get hung up. Have a video but can post it
20190427_101158.jpg
20190427_101304.jpg

Try a different ammo. I have had that happen with a particular lot of CCI SV ammo I got. I tried a different lot and no problem at all. Go back to the first lot and trouble again.

Reactions: FCAnative

YouTube Ruger American Bolt disassembly, its the same as the RRimfire. Once you have it apart check the extractor hook, probably has a burr from the stamping process take a file or sandpaper to gently clean it up. Clean up any other ridges along the edges. Clean, lube and reassemble. I bet that fixes it.

So my 16 year old son saved and saved and finally had enough to buy his new RPRR. Shot it 15 times, every single one ended with a FTE. Calling Ruger Monday. Not happy at all. No matter how fast/slow I worked the bolt... nothing. Seems to get hung up. Have a video but can post it

Yeah, that's been the typical problem with the RPRR (at least with the first one's on the market, don't know if anything has changed since then). When you call Ruger, tell them the problem and they'll send you a new ejector spring, which has apparently been redesigned and works better. In the meantime, there is a fix you can do yourself, if you're so inclined. Two things you can do to improve ejection: 1. bend the ejector spring in towards the case so that it holds the case in place better. 2. Put a little shim under the mag assembly so that it is raised a little when you tighten the bolt holding the lower to the upper. Do both of these things (as I did) and I think you'll solve the problem . . . though, ejection may not be strong, but should be consistent. It worked for me.

Reactions: 10ring1
It seems as if Ruger continues to have quality issues and Ruger is relying on us shooters to do quality control!!!!!

The RPR is the last Ruger I will ever buy!

Here is mine, 17 HMR.
B-pod
Tactical bolt
New grip
Nikon 4-14X40 Scope and mount
Brake muzzle
Extra Magazine's
New Timney Trigger when released for sale
dscn3920_0d1dcb8d5a2afce75813c65e1ebc9a433456742d.jpg

dscn3922_44bce71581c101541e5e861f2feee4ccb9701325.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to give an update on my Whistlepig barrel. Louis at Whistlepig has been great. He offered to take the barrel back and send me a new one right away. I decided I would pull the barrel and clean everything throughly then reinstall it. I mounted the barrel with green Loctite and tried different torque settings on the action bolts. I just want to make absolutely sure that I didn’t do something wrong and send back a perfectly good barrel. I will not be able to get back out to the range until the end of the week but hopefully it was something small I missed that is fixed now.

Wanted to give an update on my Whistlepig barrel. Louis at Whistlepig has been great. He offered to take the barrel back and send me a new one right away. I decided I would pull the barrel and clean everything throughly then reinstall it. I mounted the barrel with green Loctite and tried different torque settings on the action bolts. I just want to make absolutely sure that I didn’t do something wrong and send back a perfectly good barrel. I will not be able to get back out to the range until the end of the week but hopefully it was something small I missed that is fixed now.

Hope that's it. I am just waiting for the weather to clear this week to take my boy and his WP RPRr 22lr out and my CZ455 17hm2 with a WP barrel out.

Just orders a cheap m-lok compatible bi-pod off amazon for my boys RPRr for him to use when he isn't shooting of my tripod, or off hand.

Does anyone know what sizes the bedding bolts are? i managed to remove them but both of them are stripping.

It seems as if Ruger continues to have quality issues and Ruger is relying on us shooters to do quality control!!!!!

The RPR is the last Ruger I will ever buy!

It became obvious to me early on the Ruger was more interested in capitalizing on the success of the center fire RPR than putting out its 22lr equivalent. I gave up after 5 months of trying everything to get it to shoot well.

I'm also done with Ruger for any future purchases.

Reactions: silentheart
Update on the Whistlepig barrel. After taking the rifle completely apart and cleaning everything the barrel shot much better. It was pretty consistently shooting groups around 1/2” at 50 yards with Eley Edge and Wolf ME. I still would like to get some more ammo through it to see what it is capable of. I am hoping once I get a few hundred rounds through it the groups will tighten up some more.

Update on the Whistlepig barrel. After taking the rifle completely apart and cleaning everything the barrel shot much better. It was pretty consistently shooting groups around 1/2” at 50 yards with Eley Edge and Wolf ME. I still would like to get some more ammo through it to see what it is capable of. I am hoping once I get a few hundred rounds through it the groups will tighten up some more.

That’s great to hear. If the weather gods are kind to me this Thursday I hope to get out for a few hours and shoot some rounds through my boys rig. Got a bipod on it now and hoping that helps stabilize it better.

The rifle is amazingly light which is what I was going for. It is much easier for him to maneuver at matches with it. It also looks like it will be a lot more accurate than his factory barrel. It seems like the more rounds we get through it the better it shoots. That’s what happened with my T1x. That rifle really woke up at around 500 rounds. Now I think it will give a Vudoo a run for its money. I’m hoping the WP barrel does the same. I still need to get out and see if my dope has changed out to 300 yards but so far it looks about the same as the factory barrel just a lot more accurate.

Well I got an improved version of the bolts that i need... As far as accuracy the gun currently shoots better then I do. Having trouble with my trigger though, what mods are you guys using to get these super low 1 lb pulls? My current group only adjust down to 3 lbs.

Called Ruger today. On it's way back to be fixed
Received the rifle back in about 12-14 days. Taking it out this weekend for a go round. Included documentation states that they fixed it and test fired successfully 15 times. That is yet to be determined. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but on the boltface there was a thin piece of metal that appears to have not been completely taken off. It looked totally out of place. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.
Also as others have complained the barrel was not centered in the handguard. I mentioned that and on the note they replace the chassis but it actually was worse when I got it back than it originally was. I just have to live with that one...
If it shoots well I will not complain... we will see

Finally after all the rain here in S Florida, this morning I went to the range, to do little target shooting, at 100 yards, it was little windy at the range, so had to use Kentucky windage to get to the bullseye .
I certainly had lot of fun, for two hours!
This is my Ruger Precision 17 HMR.
57971241112_b7e2943c_e895_4683_bc04_d47e901390ca_jpg_ef9c23733bd1c5a908aac3bba26808188fcb53a4.jpeg

img_2480_heic_58c768369e9e50ad7a61ec133391af663aaae62e.jpeg

Well I got an improved version of the bolts that i need... As far as accuracy the gun currently shoots better then I do. Having trouble with my trigger though, what mods are you guys using to get these super low 1 lb pulls? My current group only adjust down to 3 lbs.
I took apart the trigger pack to the point where I got the spring out, cut 4-5 coils off it and put it back in. It was fairly loose but I went to the hardware store and picked up another Allen stud that was about twice as long and adjusted just to the point where the trigger resets. Roughly a 14 ounce pull

I hated that trigger with a passion and the people on U-tube are using the Beta version Timney with great reviews, so I preordered one cause it has to better then the Ruger.

It amazes me that someone will knowingly buy one of these rifles and then spring more than the purchase price for a barrel and a trigger rather than just buy a good rifle.

There are a few reasons. For me I bought it for my boy to really learn on and needed to lighten the barrel up. It shoots well (might even go shooting today, God’s willing) but for 400.00 it had all the features other than a lightweight barrel.

Hindsight is 20/20 if I had to do it all over again I would build a Kidd ULW 10/22 for a little more.

I really wanted him to get comfortable with a bolt action (not a cricket or the like) and needed the short LOP.

Now looking back I really don’t care if it’s a bolt action or not. Just want it to be pretty dang accurate and easy to shoot.

I have his RPRr dialed in now petty good it just too almost a year to get there

It amazes me that someone will knowingly buy one of these rifles and then spring more than the purchase price for a barrel and a trigger rather than just buy a good rifle.
Exactly what I did. Gotta learn the hard way sometimes. Most likely will end up getting a vudoo after selling mine

Ever see what some people would do to and spend on a Volkswagen Beetle? :eek: ;)

Hmmm??? Put a Shaw barrel on my RPRR and minus the scope, total cost at $640. Which "good rifle" would you suggest to buy at that price point?

Today was a great day at the range, weather was perfect, and had lot of fun shooting.
I'm using RPR 17 HMR.
100_2980_de5997f2f7dafe0adc94ce884a455c2656f7eb11.jpeg

100_2986_6f848056cda23c116728d137f3942b64a3cb3739.jpeg

Really? I guess you have not noticed some of the custom R700 shot at matches or how much coin some have in 10/22s. You are not a RPRimfire fan, we get it.

That’s great to hear. Hopefully the turnaround time will be quick

Frankr, I went out today and shot my sons Ruger PR with the WP barrel and the ammo we plan to use for a match this weekend. The funny thing was his rifle was shooting WAY faster than any 22 I own with the same ammo. My normal elevation at 100 yards with Eley Edge is 1.9 mils. His was 1.5. Same thing all the way out to 300 yards. His elevation at 300 was a full 1mil less than mine. I checked the velocity out of two other rimfires I own with the same ammo and I was getting 1065FPS - 1080fps average. When I cronographed the WP barrel I was getting 1150FPS which matched up perfect with my dope. Does your barrel seem to run really fast? I may need to switch to a different ammo that will shoot a little slower. I think I was getting some bad grouping at 100 yards because the ammo is coming out of the barrel right at the cusp of being supersonic.

Reactions: Creedmor
Frankr, I went out today and shot my sons Ruger PR with the WP barrel and the ammo we plan to use for a match this weekend. The funny thing was his rifle was shooting WAY faster than any 22 I own with the same ammo. My normal elevation at 100 yards with Eley Edge is 1.9 mils. His was 1.5. Same thing all the way out to 300 yards. His elevation at 300 was a full 1mil less than mine. I checked the velocity out of two other rimfires I own with the same ammo and I was getting 1065FPS - 1080fps average. When I cronographed the WP barrel I was getting 1150FPS which matched up perfect with my dope. Does your barrel seem to run really fast? I may need to switch to a different ammo that will shoot a little slower. I think I was getting some bad grouping at 100 yards because the ammo is coming out of the barrel right at the cusp of being supersonic.

You know what. I haven’t checked to see what speeds it’s shooting. We have had bad weather so I have had to go to the indoor range where they charge by the hour so I haven’t had that luxury to test.

Took the wife to the range today and here are the results with the whistle Pig 16.5” barrel. All shot at 50 yards

Averaging 3 of the 4 - 5 shot groups I got 0.571” ctc..... the 4 group is Aguila Match and even in my Kidd barreled rifle the 1st shot was way off. The 5 shot group was 1.076” ctc but 4 shots were 0.272” ctc so I didn’t use that in the math.

The good news is it looks that if I fix the trigger it will be a 1/2” @ 50 yard gun.... also with the SiCo sparrow thread adapter the barrel shot just as good suppressed as unsuppressed (without the adapter the threads are too long and it shoots like crap).

The bad news is I need to take it apart to work on the trigger and the 12x scope isn’t the best for paper punching.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 112
I think once you get some more ammo through it those groups will tighten up some even more. The one I have pretty much leaves a ragged hole at 50 yards with most of the better ammos but I would guess I have close to 500 rounds through it now. It seems like all the rimfire barrels I have shot seem to have a magic number where they settle in and really start to shoot. I know the first 100-150 out of mine were not impressive at all. I almost sent the barrel back but I think it just needed broken in now. It shooting gas is a problem though since most ammo is designed to shoot around 1080fps. I believe this is where my problems at 100 yards are coming from. I shot some Wolf Match and it seemed to be a bit slower so that may be the answer.

I’m sure you have heard this all over the forums but if you want a really nice rimfire scope you should pick up one of the Athlon Midas TAC’s or grab one of the Athlon Ares BTR’s for $550 while they are on sale for $300 off. Both fantastic scopes for the money and absolutely perfect for rimfire. I have Midas TACs on two of my rimfires and they have performed flawlessly. They get dialed constantly and still return to zero everytime.

I think once you get some more ammo through it those groups will tighten up some even more. The one I have pretty much leaves a ragged hole at 50 yards with most of the better ammos but I would guess I have close to 500 rounds through it now. It seems like all the rimfire barrels I have shot seem to have a magic number where they settle in and really start to shoot. I know the first 100-150 out of mine were not impressive at all. I almost sent the barrel back but I think it just needed broken in now. It shooting gas is a problem though since most ammo is designed to shoot around 1080fps. I believe this is where my problems at 100 yards are coming from. I shot some Wolf Match and it seemed to be a bit slower so that may be the answer.

I’m sure you have heard this all over the forums but if you want a really nice rimfire scope you should pick up one of the Athlon Midas TAC’s or grab one of the Athlon Ares BTR’s for $550 while they are on sale for $300 off. Both fantastic scopes for the money and absolutely perfect for rimfire. I have Midas TACs on two of my rimfires and they have performed flawlessly. They get dialed constantly and still return to zero everytime.

I am tempted for the Midas Tac. I put the 3-12 on it (had the Midas BTR 4.5-27 on it) for the weight. I needed a lightweight scope because he is a small skinny kid. The only scope I had that would work was the 3-12.

If he doesn’t have to shoot off hand maybe I will upgrade to a better and heavier scope.

I did put a bipod on it for today and that was super nice. Just need to make a flat piece that mounts the the Picatinny (spelling?) rail on the buttstock to ride the bags better for ammo testing.

I am going to go find some Wolf MT and go get more Aguila Match (just shoot one round first before the match).

I have this ruger 10/22 that I bought used. It was owned by a local gunsmith, so I think it is in pretty good shape. I have been using it at a rimfire steel target matchbthst is run every month by the CAS club I frequent. It works great with the 10 round rotary mags, but not the 25 round mags.

7696AB27-EA1E-458E-8C08-1AED82863DB0.jpeg

I am tempted for the Midas Tac. I put the 3-12 on it (had the Midas BTR 4.5-27 on it) for the weight. I needed a lightweight scope because he is a small skinny kid. The only scope I had that would work was the 3-12.

If he doesn’t have to shoot off hand maybe I will upgrade to a better and heavier scope.

I did put a bipod on it for today and that was super nice. Just need to make a flat piece that mounts the the Picatinny (spelling?) rail on the buttstock to ride the bags better for ammo testing.

I am going to go find some Wolf MT and go get more Aguila Match (just shoot one round first before the match).

The Midas Tac is fairly light for an optic with so much magnification and with it being centered on the rifle it isn’t quite so bad. One thing I have found that really helped us was getting a bipod with a quick detach lever. I usually take it off right before he goes to shoot on stages where he doesn’t need it. It isn’t a whole lot of weight but it makes a difference since it’s on the end of the rifle. For the bag rider. I rigged something up that worked pretty well. I’ll have to get a photo for you.

I have this ruger 10/22 that I bought used. It was owned by a local gunsmith, so I think it is in pretty good shape. I have been using it at a rimfire steel target matchbthst is run every month by the CAS club I frequent. It works great with the 10 round rotary mags, but not the 25 round mags.

View attachment 7083433
My takedown used to be finicky until I polished the metal feed lips on all my magazines and the internal receiver. It’s an absolute champ now

Reactions: FO876