• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

I put an Ares on mine. Using Vortex High rings and it seems about right. I'll see if I can get a pick up in a few minutes ...

A couple of pics ...
ldG7BYj.jpg

9lO09Xx.jpg

My trigger pull with the normal spring is just over a pound. But it comes with some creep

Picked mine up today. Adjusted the trigger down to only 2.5# and it feels very nice. One potential issue though. I installed an Mlok rail for a bipod and one of the screws was touching the barrel. I put some pressure on the barrel and it flexed pretty easily.

Yeah, the diameter of the forearm is small so the clearance between the forearm and barrel is pretty tight. I had to grind off about 3 threads on the screws for my bipod rail..

I also took my factory trigger and cleaned it with Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lube. I didn't touch the adjustment screw at all and it tested out to be a smooth and crisp 1.5lb.

it is not the rod guide it is the stock that causes the issues. You have put pressure up on the rod to clear the buttstock..

I got the 32” .20 from Dewey and I have to take off the cheek plate and move the buttstock inward to not create upward pressure. The next option is a 38” which may work without adjusting anything but then again it’s easy to mark where the stock was adjusted to and set it back.

I got the 32” .20 from Dewey and I have to take off the cheek plate and move the buttstock inward to not create upward pressure. The next option is a 38” which may work without adjusting anything but then again it’s easy to mark where the stock was adjusted to and set it back.

yeah I put a few paint marks so I could get the stock back where I needed it.

I picked up my RPR today 324.00 our the door lol steal of a deal. What type of front rail is this thing want to put some bipod legs on ot

I picked up my RPR today 324.00 our the door lol steal of a deal. What type of front rail is this thing want to put some bipod legs on ot
Heck of a deal, the cheapest I have found is $408 OTD. Where did you find yours at?

Got to finally handle one yesterday at my LGS.

My impression with just handling it.

Pros
Stock feels nicer than I hoped and adjusts easy
Ergonomics are what you would expect
Barrel was centered in the hand guard at least on the one I handled
Nice bolt knob
Smooth action

Cons
Bolt lift and closing was tight, at least on the display model. So much so that I think it might be the tightest closing bolt gun I have handled in years. If I bought that display I would run a go no go gauges to check.

Nose heavy, not surprised but I want one for my kids and it’s definitely not and offhand rifle for kids with the weight distribution- a lightweight barrel would go a long way.

Overall I think it’s a great buy for the price. I was impressed enough that I will probably end up getting one and either having the barrel turned down or trying to get someone to make a lightweight aftermarket barrel.

Heck of a deal, the cheapest I have found is $408 OTD. Where did you find yours at?

I got mine from PX on post 15percent of used Star Card and was on sale and no taxes.

Anyone running a compensator on it? I was looking into the Tactical Solutions Comps and was wondering who has input and do they fit perfectly radius wise?

Last edited:
I got mine from PX on post 15percent of used Star Card and was on sale and no taxes.

Anyone running a compensator on it? I was looking into the Tactical Solutions Comps and was wondering who has input and do they fit perfectly radius wise?
Not sure what you mean by fit radius, but I have shot a friend's RPR with my TacSol can. We thought the gun was broken, as everytime he pulled the trigger, nothing happened. Until we checked the target. :) Silly quiet.

Nose heavy, not surprised but I want one for my kids and it’s definitely not and offhand rifle for kids with the weight distribution- a lightweight barrel would go a long way.

Overall I think it’s a great buy for the price. I was impressed enough that I will probably end up getting one and either having the barrel turned down or trying to get someone to make a lightweight aftermarket barrel.

I thought the same thing until I mounted the scope and then it was perfectly balanced.

I'm looking at either a RPR or a Tikka T1x ... the Tikka is a little more but the chassis on the RPR is more flexible for more purposes. I can put the Tikka T1x in any T3 chassis (I think) then the total cost would be $1100 or so.
That said, I'm hoping the Tikka is built to higher tolerances and hence can shoot tighter groups.
I got am Athlon Argus to put on top.
Neither the RPR or Tikka T1x are available yet at Brownell's where I placed the order.
It seems like a number of people are going for the RPR!
My primary purpose for this rifle will be dot drills at 50yds.
I have another .22LR(16) I use for hunting.
Any thoughts on why people have ruled out the Tikka?
Or on where to get an RPR now?

Thanks!

I do think I can wait until Sunday to shoot my RPR do you think and indoor 25yard test would do anything to help narrow down ammo selection? I have 13 different types of ammo to test so far.

I do think I can wait until Sunday to shoot my RPR do you think and indoor 25yard test would do anything to help narrow down ammo selection? I have 13 different types of ammo to test so far.

Well, if you really want to "reinvent the wheel", then . . .???

I've already tested a great many different types of 22LR and depending on what you have you might just limit yourself to Center-X, Federal Ultra Match or the less expensive CCI Standard Velocity. Other's, that you probably have, are not going to do any better.

And 25 yds just isn't going to tell you much. IMHO

Has anyone put a compensator on one yet wondering what brand you choose. I mic'd the barrel I think I got .857 I did it last night for barrel diameter and was looking Tactical Solutions has one in.900.

Has anyone put a compensator on one yet wondering what brand you choose. I mic'd the barrel I think I got .857 I did it last night for barrel diameter and was looking Tactical Solutions has one in.900.
Do you have tender shoulders? Putting a comp on a 14lb 22lr is like putting drag radials on a VW beetle.

Reactions: Lesco Brandon
Do you have tender shoulders? Putting a comp on a 14lb 22lr is like putting drag radials on a VW beetle.

Well, I figure ZERO recoil for competitive shooting would be what you want out of any gun. And secondly, the comp should be loud which would enable almost any timer to pick up the shots.

There's not enough gas volume/velocity with a .22 LR to make any meaningful difference in recoil mitigation so whatever you screw on there will be for cosmetics only. If you still have to have a comp/brake on your .22, go with something made out of stainless with big side ports. That way, you'll be able to scrape away all the built-up lead (or throw it in a rotary tumbler with stainless tumbling media). With a radial comp like the TacSol, lead will build up in the ports and then start to encroach into the bore (of the comp) to where you'll start getting strikes with subsequent rounds fired.

Reactions: Red 5
Another GI Joe rollout from Ruger. The brake is optional but I'm sure everybody here is in agreement that is a must have

So I finall got my RPR out to the range today to do some ammo testing. It was sunny, 68 degrees, 4-12 mph wind from my 6 o’clock so it was blowing the target around a little.

Shot these from the bench with a bipod and rear bag at 25 yards. No surprises but Federal Gold Medal Ultra March was the winner with Lapua Center X a close second and Eley Tenex third. I may get out and get my 50 yard testing done tomorrow depending on work schedules.

The gun is stock no mods, Athlon Midas BTR scope. I ran 120 rounds of Golden Bullet through it to get the barrel broken in. I cleaned the barrel before I started shooting and did not clean it before I shot the tests. All test were shot consecutively no cool down time between each different brand of ammo. The target on the left is 5 fouling shots for each brand the right target is a 5 shot group for record. My zero is based upon the Remington Golden Bullet.

For the Federal Automatch the one flyer to the left was me I saw me do it ....

69265015-EDA4-4C11-9335-20CBFC1C64D3.jpeg

Reactions: Bender
Testing ammo for 22lr is different than what we would normally do for a high powered rifle. While groups do matter and testing for groups at 50 yards is important to a point, doing those same tests at 100 yards is even more important but you'll be looking for something different. At 50yds and 100yds you'll be looking for and counting flyers.

Your RPR should give you 1 to 1 1/2 Moa with the right ammo. That should give you a fighting chance in precision 22 matches. The thing that will kill a good day is the number of flyers you'll get per say for 50 rounds. You may not see the true effect of that with 25 yd groups. Stretching things out to 50yds and beyond will start to show you the consistency of you ammo lot. That is where match grade ammo starts to shine.

Reactions: Rover31
Testing ammo for 22lr is different than what we would normally do for a high powered rifle. While groups do matter and testing for groups at 50 yards is important to a point, doing those same tests at 100 yards is even more important but you'll be looking for something different. At 50yds and 100yds you'll be looking for and counting flyers.

Your RPR should give you 1 to 1 1/2 Moa with the right ammo. That should give you a fighting chance in precision 22 matches. The thing that will kill a good day is the number of flyers you'll get per say for 50 rounds. You may not see the true effect of that with 25 yd groups. Stretching things out to 50yds and beyond will start to show you the consistency of you ammo lot. That is where match grade ammo starts to shine.

I totally understand that and that's why 50 yards is next and then next I will do 100 yards, but even here at 25 you can see the cream rising to the top with the group size differences. So even though this wasn't a definitive test you can still get some data out of it, and that data will only be more firmed up as I do the 50 and 100 yard tests.

So I finall got my RPR out to the range today to do some ammo testing. It was sunny, 68 degrees, 4-12 mph wind from my 6 o’clock so it was blowing the target around a little.

Shot these from the bench with a bipod and rear bag at 25 yards. No surprises but Federal Gold Medal Ultra March was the winner with Lapua Center X a close second and Eley Tenex third. I may get out and get my 50 yard testing done tomorrow depending on work schedules.

The gun is stock no mods, Athlon Midas BTR scope. I ran 120 rounds of Golden Bullet through it to get the barrel broken in. I cleaned the barrel before I started shooting and did not clean it before I shot the tests. All test were shot consecutively no cool down time between each different brand of ammo. The target on the left is 5 fouling shots for each brand the right target is a 5 shot group for record. My zero is based upon the Remington Golden Bullet.

For the Federal Automatch the one flyer to the left was me I saw me do it ....

View attachment 6899265
I've been doing the same testing with my RPR and have found almost the same results you have. FGMUM and Center X were definitely the winners. Even out to 150 yards they continued to outperform everything else I tried(CCI green tag and Wolf Extra Match were the two different brands I used)

Reactions: n5wd
IMG_1517.PNG
IMG_1518.PNG

Went 8 for 8 on the kyl with Fgmm.

It didn't really group that well though. I'll try something else whenthe wind calms down some.

So I got out yesterday to do my 50 yard ammo test and the wind sucked I was fighting 15 to 20 mph winds from my 6 and 7 o’clock all day. Tried to shoot groups between the wind gusts and we all know how well that works ....

The results were pretty much as expected almost every brand of ammo the groups opened up by at least double, the bulk pack stuff was a little worse.

The top three did change a little though FGUM was still on top with Lapua Center X still in second but RWS Rifle match moved into 3rd place it only opened up a few hundredths going from 25 to 50 yards so it may warrant some additional testing.
14105EA5-B2D0-4EB7-B939-6038FEF9A3C8.jpeg

Last edited:
No pics, but I tried some Wolf match, and it shot lights out; better than any of the others I tried above.

Reactions: Hardpan
I was literally blown away with how crazy 22 can move with 15mph at only 65 yards in a match - maybe along the lines of a 6.5 at 280ish'. So getting realistic ammo comparison @ 50, might be best on a windless day.

Even though 22 bulets just look like lumps of lead they do still have a BC that affect their true flight. That is on reason why bullet flight over distance may not be consistent and can't be extrapolated for closer distances like 20y to 50y.

I wonder how long it will be before an ammo manufacturer ever does anything about improving the lowly 22 40gr bullet.

Even though 22 bulets just look like lumps of lead they do still have a BC that affect their true flight. That is on reason why bullet flight over distance may not be consistent and can't be extrapolated for closer distances like 20y to 50y.

I wonder how long it will be before an ammo manufacturer ever does anything about improving the lowly 22 40gr bullet.

Maybe like how Laupa has done with the new Biathlon Extreme?

I waited to reply to these post. I spent the last year testing these at my range and helping out with some design ideas. Goal was to mirror the center fire versions of the RPR lineup and keep the cost down for the entry level shooter. $400 for what most are retailing them for. With the 3D printed mock up last year, we were hitting a 6" plate at 300yds easily with it. Ran all kind of rounds through it. Stuff that cost $4.99 a box up to $18.00 a box. It shot very well. At 50yds I have a KYL rack and the smallest plate is 1/4" wide. We go 10 for 10 on it all the time. Are there more accurate rigs out there? Of course. More durable chassis etc? Of course. Not for this price though. After market stuff is already fine tuning things for those who want it. For entry level though, it's a great deal.

Went and tried some more ammo , Gemtech Suppressor and some different Aguilla.
All .50 and up groups, the best in my gun is still Federal Gold Medal MATCH.
At one point the wind went absolutely dead and produced this 5 shot group at 50

Attachments

• 20180509_080610_resized.jpg
    20180509_080610_resized.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 274
Went and tried some more ammo , Gemtech Suppressor and some different Aguilla.
All .50 and up groups, the best in my gun is still Federal Gold Medal MATCH.
At one point the wind went absolutely dead and produced this 5 shot group at 50

very nice. I need to pickup some FGGM and some Midas to test. With groups like this I wonder why anyone would want a Lija barrel for more than the rifle costs?

very nice. I need to pickup some FGGM and some Midas to test. With groups like this I wonder why anyone would want a Lija barrel for more than the rifle costs?

Some people find it worth getting .5in groups down to consistent .25 in groups or better. . . . others just don't see any value in that. :unsure:

There is at least 6 guys I shoot with that have RPR's and we've all tested at least 6-8 different types of match ammo. Every rifle is in the 1.25 to 1.5moa area for accuracy at best. On average I'd say 1.5moa is about it. If any shot sub-moa then there would not be an interest in after market barrels. Accuracy and especially consistency is what makes the precision rifle world go round.

All of my groups with Federal ultamatch and match are under a half inch but the best groups have been with the Match

Does an RPR 0 moa base fit on an RPRR? Can’t call Ruger to ask until Monday.

Until I get a dedicated optic, my amg is in a 6mil Spuhr. With the 30 moa RPRR rail, I’m probably going to have issues.

I’ll drop it in some seekins rings for now.

Does an RPR 0 moa base fit on an RPRR? Can’t call Ruger to ask until Monday.

Until I get a dedicated optic, my amg is in a 6mil Spuhr. With the 30 moa RPRR rail, I’m probably going to have issues.

I’ll drop it in some seekins rings for now.

Never mind. Because of the AR style chassis, I needed a riser rail anyway. So I took a 20moa rail and installed it backwards. ?

I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas last year. For perspective I also have a Vudoo and have owned a Stiller 2500XR. I feel like for the money they are solid little rifles. It was a huge bonus that they came threaded and ready for a suppressor. I have found accuracy to be just a little less than MOA at 50 yards. I don't have either one as the RPR version, but they share the same actions and barrels. I will admit that the actions and bolt fit were a little on the rough side when I first got them, but I took them out to the Baldor and buffed the important parts before even mounting the scope and it made a world of difference. If you find them on sale I don't think most people will regret their purchase.

I bought two of these for my kids for Christmas last year. For perspective I also have a Vudoo and have owned a Stiller 2500XR. I feel like for the money they are solid little rifles. It was a huge bonus that they came threaded and ready for a suppressor. I have found accuracy to be just a little less than MOA at 50 yards. I don't have either one as the RPR version, but they share the same actions and barrels. I will admit that the actions and bolt fit were a little on the rough side when I first got them, but I took them out to the Baldor and buffed the important parts before even mounting the scope and it made a world of difference. If you find them on sale I don't think most people will regret their purchase.

Which Ruger model is the same action and barrel? Curious so I can possibly look into aftermarket stocks. Do yours have the barrel nut setup like the RPR?

I have the model 8351 and the 8348. I don't think either of them have barrel nuts. I didn't think the RPR rimfire did either. I just took a cursory look at it and saw that the action appeared the same and assumed they put it in a tactical stock. The bolt and trigger look the same to me as well.