• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

That is some great shooting. Is that typical accuracy for this rifle?
Pretty much with RWS pistol match ammo it is but the extraction isn’t great with heavily lubed ammo. This barrel has a match chamber though which seems to help

They'll no doubt sell a bunch of them to guys hoping for something with better accuracy than they're likely to provide - at least, that's my rather pessimistic first opinion. I'd love to be proven wrong...
And you were right! I’m another messed around and messed around just ordered a barrel if that don’t bring in the groups it will be a cool plincker and I’ll be done with Ruger

Has anyone tried or have the IBI barrel for their Ruger PR?
I looked at them but did not offer what I wanted, Shilen offered what was after but a 5 month wait so my next closest to what I wanted was ER Shaw 20” threaded end, I had ordered a 5R X-Caliber for my .223 and wanted to try the 4 rachet in th .22 but was not waiting

Interesting test results on barrel tuning! I used 3/4” ID grommets weighing .22 oz all the ammo is from the same lot CCI Standard Velocity, I used this because I have 1,000 RDS from the same lot. Temp 38 degrees with a NNE 4 mph wind. Once I had the scope set it was never adjusted so you can see the pattern change. All on a 5x5
529E9EC5-D9ED-42A8-9720-06CDAD989DBB.jpeg
0778742F-DC7E-4DB9-91F7-4F31EDD4D166.jpegA9F71305-7DDD-42CA-852F-312D51B1A2E1.jpeg529E9EC5-D9ED-42A8-9720-06CDAD989DBB.jpegCBAE7B48-356F-406E-88A8-40729DA7F84A.jpeg
the stock barrel being bare had a 1.45 MOA
Grommets installed at the end of the thread protect going down the barrel
2 Grommets 1.71 MOA
3 Grommets 1.52 MOA
4 Grommets 1.17 MOA

the ER Shaw barrel came in today, if I have time I’ll run a couple hundred rounds threw it and shoot the same 5 x 5

I’m loving my 17 hmr! Got a few extra minutes to break it in today!

Attachments

• 441C5525-E315-41C2-9FD6-DD5174395598.jpeg
    441C5525-E315-41C2-9FD6-DD5174395598.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 1B5E312F-0AA8-49BB-ABDF-D45CA0F525A9.jpeg
    1B5E312F-0AA8-49BB-ABDF-D45CA0F525A9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 1EC21648-EC7A-4F56-A1A0-DBD148C1D26A.jpeg
    1EC21648-EC7A-4F56-A1A0-DBD148C1D26A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • AF19110C-7B1B-45D5-B370-71B70AABA051.jpeg
    AF19110C-7B1B-45D5-B370-71B70AABA051.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 188
  • F5836A90-CF08-4716-98A8-20F2E88A8976.jpeg
    F5836A90-CF08-4716-98A8-20F2E88A8976.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
ER Shaw barrel installed about 100 RDS through it, when closing the bolt it takes a lot of force I had noticed every time it was extreme I had a flier. I ordered a finishing chamber reamer and will establish a .04 bullet jump which will ensure bolt closing easy, when I got back to the shop I checked the action torque and it had loosened up my guess from cranking on the bolt. But I shot two groups one with a average of 1.33 MOA and the second with a 1.59 MOA

Attachments

• 10C782A5-A410-4DF6-A740-01492015940E.jpeg
    10C782A5-A410-4DF6-A740-01492015940E.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 0D947D66-8C89-4CA3-A0E0-A5B4D820CFB7.jpeg
    0D947D66-8C89-4CA3-A0E0-A5B4D820CFB7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
ER Shaw barrel installed about 100 RDS through it, when closing the bolt it takes a lot of force I had noticed every time it was extreme I had a flier. I ordered a finishing chamber reamer and will establish a .04 bullet jump which will ensure bolt closing easy, when I got back to the shop I checked the action torque and it had loosened up my guess from cranking on the bolt. But I shot two groups one with a average of 1.33 MOA and the second with a 1.59 MOA

What was it shooting with your factory barrel? What are you expecting?

I started with a 2.25 MOA after making modifications to the trigger, action bedding and 11 degree taper on the thread protector we have a average of 1.5 MOA. The goal was to see if we can get down to under MOA at 100 yards might be really reaching but from factor already drastically dropped the MOA average, I am using same lot CCI SV ammo ya I know it’s not the best but with multiple tests from diffident sources show that ammo is not bad.

I started with a 2.25 MOA after making modifications to the trigger, action bedding and 11 degree taper on the thread protector we have a average of 1.5 MOA. The goal was to see if we can get down to under MOA at 100 yards might be really reaching but from factor already drastically dropped the MOA average, I am using same lot CCI SV ammo ya I know it’s not the best but with multiple tests from diffident sources show that ammo is not bad.

Okay thanks. My friend got a new Lilja barrel on his RPR... and while there were issues with extraction that Lilja was still working on fixing since this was an early version barrel, it was shooting .7" groups with SK+ and Center-X.

Okay thanks. My friend got a new Lilja barrel on his RPR... and while there were issues with extraction that Lilja was still working on fixing since this was an early version barrel, it was shooting .7" groups with SK+ and Center-X.
Is it a match grade chamber? Is it difficult to close the bolt? I looked at getting a Lilja but did not find to much info

Is it a match grade chamber? Is it difficult to close the bolt? I looked at getting a Lilja but did not find to much info

It is a match grade chamber, using the Lilja 2 chamber. It wasn't hard to close the bolt. Now in comparison a WIn52D chamber, was very hard to close the bolt with some ammo... but it also shot like a champ too ~ .55" groups. I would choose the Lilja 2 chamber which is much easier to feed than the Lilja1 or the Win52D chamber.

After first installing my Shaw barrel, it too required a lot of force to close and it loosened up after a going through a couple hundred rounds. I decided to reinstall the barrel, but with a couple of shims (made from my kitchen heavy duty aluminum foil) between the barrel an action. It turned out just right. The bolt still has some resistance but has a nice feel to it (still not as loose as with the factory barrel) and rounds chamber and eject very nicely.

Hmmmm??? Good luck with that using CCI SV's. CCI V's are really great for ammo at their price point, but they're not match grade. :eek: It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect or even try to get under MOA with them??? o_O Seems to me that's even a big challenge even for the best rifles made.

Well the jury is in! You can shoot a semi MOA with many modifications final result .61 MOA with CCI SV at 100 yards! It is not a constant out of a 6x5 my ave is 1.36 with fliers next I will get testing higher grade ammo such as Green Tag, precision, center-x
most important improvements: trigger job, I used JB weld and bedded the action “ make sure you use a very good release agent”
ER Shaw barrel and recut the chamber so rifling lands go to the first knurl this allowed the bolt to close relatively smooth
8B2C2D5F-4436-4309-824B-5BC91369940E.jpeg

Attachments

• E95A6F06-6654-4034-A2AA-580DE2777AED.jpeg
    E95A6F06-6654-4034-A2AA-580DE2777AED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
Reactions: Frankr
I think the 6x5 is really important. Anyone can get a sub moa group regardless of how bad your rifle is over time. I shot green tag and got a 1/2" group and thought it was fantastic, and then my averages for 6x5's always were 1.3-1.5" which which means there were some 2" groups, and also means flyers = dropped shots in matches.

I think the 6x5 is really important. Anyone can get a sub moa group regardless of how bad your rifle is over time. I shot green tag and got a 1/2" group and thought it was fantastic, and then my averages for 6x5's always were 1.3-1.5" which which means there were some 2" groups, and also means flyers = dropped shots in matches.
Take it for what it’s worth I started this project using CCI SV ammo because I had 1,000 rounds of the same lot my average was 2 .75 at 100 yards with a stock rifle, using the same ammo and several trials and errors I found the modifications that did the most I brought the average down to 1.36 with better ammo I am sure it will get tighter yet.

Reactions: littlepod
im glad to see your making progress! i agree a larger sample size w cci std and other ammo would be helpful. may i ask what reamer you used on the shaw barrel? do i understand correctly you cut the chamber a bit deeper? how do you think your chamber compares to a bentz chamber? im curious as mcgowen makes a bentz chambered barrel for the rpr, and ive had real nice results with their cf barrels.

also, could you share more details and pix sometime of how you bedded w JB? i thought about trying it but got scared lol.

thx again!

im glad to see your making progress! i agree a larger sample size w cci std and other ammo would be helpful. may i ask what reamer you used on the shaw barrel? do i understand correctly you cut the chamber a bit deeper? how do you think your chamber compares to a bentz chamber? im curious as mcgowen makes a bentz chambered barrel for the rpr, and ive had real nice results with their cf barrels.

also, could you share more details and pix sometime of how you bedded w JB? i thought about trying it but got scared lol.

thx again!
I tried the alum beading and realized that’s f’ed up, so I took everything apart used grease on the chassis and barrel leaving the front action bolt area and rear open to apply JB weld. Once apply and you do not need much torque your action in I did it to 25# let sit for 6 hours take apart and trim up everything while it’s soft see pictures attached.

The barrel I used reamer # 184-050-015 finish reamer and it cut the chamber length to 6.65 which happens to press your 1 st band into the rifling without wrenching on the bolt and the best part is it will eject a un shot round also picture attached.

the trigger I just polished the sear and removed the trigger return spring and cut a ball point pen spring to the same length and installed which works just fine

Attachments

• C4C43C09-5E12-469E-A888-44F747B88CCF.jpeg
    C4C43C09-5E12-469E-A888-44F747B88CCF.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 3E6A0698-A16C-4EAB-8589-8B80F628C4BF.jpeg
    3E6A0698-A16C-4EAB-8589-8B80F628C4BF.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 252
  • B8233890-8F7D-49D1-9505-41EBAFD9F675.jpeg
    B8233890-8F7D-49D1-9505-41EBAFD9F675.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 230
When are you guys going to stop trying to make these rifles shoot well? I to have one and your are MUCH better off trying to sell it and get a non-Ruger.

And BTW a friend of mine to his RPR to three guns shows and not a single person showed any interest in buying it.

Last edited:
And b the way a friend of mine to his RPR to three guns shows and not a single person showed any interest in buying it.
[/QUOTE]

^^ THIS^^ is the answer, if we can't sell it we have to play with it. I just shoot the cheap ammo in it and have fun!

No investment yet or ever to make this rifle shoot better, but that's just me.
For some it's still a descend rifle to learn on how to make it better...or not ;)

Well I guess I bought it because I seen a lot of good things on Utube, after putting some coin into it I still only have about $550 in it. Never messed with 22 rimfire sat 100 yards before so I really do not know what I should expect currently I get a few groups under MOA at 100 yards but average 1.25 MOA still playing with ammo but it also gives me something to mess with.
what do you shoot and what kinda groups you getting with it?

When are you guys going to stop trying to make these rifles shoot well? I to have one and your are MUCH better off trying to sell it and get a non-Ruger.

And BTW a friend of mine to his RPR to three guns shows and not a single person showed any interest in buying it.
ill do what i can without spending any $$ on mine since my granddaughter loves it. i decided to keep mine and grab a vudoo. the vudoo will be too heavy for the granddaughter for awhile, and we may start shooting NRL after the cvirus ends.

jheikki i havent had my barrell off, would it be possible to cut a fresh chamber in a factory barrel? ive got a friend w a machine shop. we have chambered a few CFs up there. im guessin it wont be possible due to the collar on the barrel.

ill do what i can without spending any $$ on mine since my granddaughter loves it. i decided to keep mine and grab a vudoo. the vudoo will be too heavy for the granddaughter for awhile, and we may start shooting NRL after the cvirus ends.

jheikki i havent had my barrell off, would it be possible to cut a fresh chamber in a factory barrel? ive got a friend w a machine shop. we have chambered a few CFs up there. im guessin it wont be possible due to the collar on the barrel.
The chamber depth is .8 and the new reamer will cut it to .665 you will need a new barrel, I just completed my sons rprf with Shaw barrel reamed chamber shooting it friday

Pretty impressive, I'd shoot SK Std. + or Pistol Match. Save the Center X for competition. Looks like the barrel is shooting well with the 52D chamber.

Would a Chassis for a Ruger American Rimfire work for the RPRF? I notice LSS has a chassis option for Ruger American 22LR...

Just a side note.
Took my oldest out this week shooting and we both shot his RPRr and I was shooting prone and he was shooting off of a tripod.
I forgot how easy it is still switch between shooters (we have marked the stock) as well as adjusting for positional shooting.
The RPRr was super comfortable to shoot behind for the rimfires we had out.

it’s not a CZ457 in a MPA chassis but it’s super convenient for the price for sure.

I had all but decided to change my bbl out on my RPRR, and then I noticed how well the SK shot out of another rifle.
Tried the SK in my Ruger and , wow... it was easily 1/2in 5 shot group at 50yds.
22s are notoriously picky, and it's worth trying the go to brands before giving up on it.

I had all but decided to change my bbl out on my RPRR, and then I noticed how well the SK shot out of another rifle.
Tried the SK in my Ruger and , wow... it was easily 1/2in 5 shot group at 50yds.
22s are notoriously picky, and it's worth trying the go to brands before giving up on it.
I have read several articles on how important not to damage the lead crown on feeding, while shooting SK ammo it feeds better and the lead seems harder. The waxy coating made it a tad difficult to load but good ammo.

with my stock barrel and my Shaw barrel I had noticed feed issues so a did a little work on the chamber entrance now it feeds like a dream, need to hit the range after our two feet of snow hits

I have read several articles on how important not to damage the lead crown on feeding, while shooting SK ammo it feeds better and the lead seems harder. The waxy coating made it a tad difficult to load but good ammo.

with my stock barrel and my Shaw barrel I had noticed feed issues so a did a little work on the chamber entrance now it feeds like a dream, need to hit the range after our two feet of snow hits
Yes, SK ammo definitely surprised me...
It had no trouble feeding in my Ruger or Tikka T1X.

Last edited:

Here are the 5 Shot groups at 50yds.
Both are easily under .5 inch and performed flawlessly with the RPRR.
2020-04-14-20-02-04.jpg 2020-04-14-20-04-21.jpg

Reactions: Frankr