• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Sorry about that each forum has they're own way of showing pictures. This is my first time posting with pictures.

Thank you for your post. I’m on the fence about buying a GM barrel for my rig.

Reactions: kgc54
Just finished testing my new Green Mountain 22" barrel thought that everyone here might be intrested in my impressions:

Ruger Precision Rimfire Factory Original barrel:

This example is pretty much what occurred with every ammunition brand I tested. The flyers occurred randomly sometime less with with more expensive ammunition but they were always there.

Cleaning the new Green Mountain 22" barrel barrel for the first time:

I really wasn't supprised to see these patches when I cleaned the barrel before taking it out for the first time. The manufacturing process is durty work.

I shot 100 "seasoning rounds" per the Green Mountain's instructions that were included with the barrel.

I knew from the first shots on paper that this barrel was a definate improvement.

New Green Mountain 22" barrel with Ruger Factory thread protector installed:

The target above was shot with the Ruger Factory thread protector installed on the GM barrel.

New Green Mountain 22" barrel with ebay muzzle device installed:

I ordered a cheep muzzle device from an ebay vendor because I read here that the factory barrel performed better without the factory supplied thread protector. This target is shot with the muzzle device and the barrel "seasoned" with 25 rounds.

All targets were shot at 50 yards using CCI Standard Velocity ammunition. The winds were light on both occasions 3 to 5 MPH.

Take away from the barrel swap out. One, I love the GM barrel! Two, I'm not an expert shooter by any means I've only been doing this for about a year. I'm sure the flyers on the GM targets are my fault. I either rushed the shot or jerked the trigger. This barrel in my opinion delivers the consistency that you need when target shooting. Finally, I love the longer profile that the 22" barrel provides:

That about covers it. Happy shooting;
kgc54

Nice man looks like a huge improvement

Reactions: Josh H and kgc54
Hey guys.. so i finished off my rifle fixes.. today.. i was really suprised to see how dirty the barrel was.. patched it like.. 30 times.. it was dirtier than my other ruger rimfire after putting 100 rounds through it.. odd.. i added a washer to the mag release tab on the other side of the pin/ejector and its nice and snug now.. so happy with that.. flushed the trigger and cleaned up the barrel thread burrs.. i think its now at about what i woulf have expected from a new rifle.. havent put a round through it yet but will in the next few days.. 6 different rounds to try.. wish me luck..!!

Reactions: Hardpan and mrt949
i have this rifle and a SWFA SS 16 x 42 scope with a 30mm tube. Could someone tell me what height rings to use for this combination?
Thanks

Oh super newb thing to pay attention to, when changing the grip remember it's a plastic chassis, so no need to muscle down the bolt cause you will strip it. Easily. Lesson learned today had to take it to get tapped for new threads ??‍♂️

i have this rifle and a SWFA SS 16 x 42 scope with a 30mm tube. Could someone tell me what height rings to use for this combination?
Thanks

Burris Xtreme Tactical Signature Picatinny-Style Medium 30mm Rings. Measures 1" from base of the mount to center of the ring mounts. The high mount is 1.25" to the center.

I had to use leupold high for my 6x18 leupold scope . remover the 30 moa mount now have a 0 moa .

Anyone have any groups from an ER Shaw barrel yet?

That is great news to see the improvement in the accuracy with the GM barrel vs the OEM.

I have emailed Beyer barrels about making a LW barrel for my boys RPR (he is getting it for his B-day and it's a little heavy for him to shoot off hand and pack around). I haven't even cleaned the rifle or anything like that because I want him to learn what to do with a new rifle. I hope it has the second gen stock. I need to call ruger and get the 0 MOA rail also.

Question for those of you with them.

What pistol grip are you running on them?

On my AR15's I run the ergo tactical deluxe without the palm shelf but I am wondering what I should swap it out to for my boy.

If you didn't received an addendum page on how to attach the barreled action to the stock then you have a Gen II stock.

I run with a MPA EVG Grip (Enhanced Vertical Grip) from MasterPiece Arms. Required some filing to fit but I love both the vertical grip and the trigger finger rest. I wouldn't use that is you are planning on shooting off hand though.

Hey guys which vortex rings would i need for a 40mm objective?.. med .97 and high are 1.18.. which would be better?

I'm using Burris Xtreme Tactical Signature Picatinny-Style Medium 30mm Rings. They measure 1" from base of the mount to center of the mount. With a SWFA 20x42 fixed focus scope I have a a millimeter or two of wiggle room for the scope's objective bell.

I'm using Burris Xtreme Tactical Signature Picatinny-Style Medium 30mm Rings. They measure 1" from base of the mount to center of the mount. With a SWFA 20x42 fixed focus scope I have a a millimeter or two of wiggle room for the scope's objective bell.
ok so im assuming that i can get away with medium size rings then..? Also I know a few other people have mentioned things about the mag as well and was wondering if anyone has any fixes for it? my 15rd mag is very loose in the magwell and has quite abit of play to it. The normal 10/22 bx 10rd mags fit nicely and are easy to insert and remove. Anyone else got this issue?

Reactions: mrt949
ok so im assuming that i can get away with medium size rings then..? Also I know a few other people have mentioned things about the mag as well and was wondering if anyone has any fixes for it? my 15rd mag is very loose in the magwell and has quite abit of play to it. The normal 10/22 bx 10rd mags fit nicely and are easy to insert and remove. Anyone else got this issue?

I would think that medium height rings would work. The loose fitting BX15 is a well known issue. I've heard that that are after market magizine release plunger springs that help. I've also read that someone used a washer to tighten up that plunger. Some even use tape or JB Weld to build up the front of the magazine (I wouldn't recommend that unless you're an artist!). I didn't use the BX15 because the ranges I go to have a 6 round in the magizine rule. I've got a bunch of 10 round magazines that I use instead.

This was the last group I shot from my ER Shaw barrel. It's about 5/8" at 100 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20180731_181540485_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180731_181540485_HDR.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 80
I would think that medium height rings would work. The loose fitting BX15 is a well known issue. I've heard that that are after market magizine release plunger springs that help. I've also read that someone used a washer to tighten up that plunger. Some even use tape or JB Weld to build up the front of the magazine (I wouldn't recommend that unless you're an artist!). I didn't use the BX15 because the ranges I go to have a 6 round in the magizine rule. I've got a bunch of 10 round magazines that I use instead.
Seems like abit of an oversite on rugers behalf.. meh.. "for looks mag now".. lol.. i used a washer on the mag release to tighten the side to side motion that the release was making.. allot more positive now.. i think im with you on the bx1s.. they fit great.

By the way for those interested; the Green Mountain replacement barrels are Match chambered. They confirmed that yesterday on the Facebook Ruger Precision Rimfire page...

If you didn't received an addendum page on how to attach the barreled action to the stock then you have a Gen II stock.

I run with a MPA EVG Grip (Enhanced Vertical Grip) from MasterPiece Arms. Required some filing to fit but I love both the vertical grip and the trigger finger rest. I wouldn't use that is you are planning on shooting off hand though.

Good to know.

I was considering the MPA but this will be shot from bench as well as standing so maybe I will look to the ergo tactical deluxe without the palm shelf

By the way for those interested; the Green Mountain replacement barrels are Match chambered. They confirmed that yesterday on the Facebook Ruger Precision Rimfire page...

Like a bentz match or something tighter?

Like a bentz match or something tighter?

The posting didn't elaborate other than stating "match". I have one of GM's barrels that has a Bentz chamber and it appears that the RPRR replacement barrel's chamber is tighter.

So far accuracy on my factory RPRR has been great with most all 50yd groups between .5- .6in. After zeroing at 100yds I shot this orange colored 4in plate @ 200yds with 3 shots about 2 1/4- 2 1/2in.
Here's some 50yd pics and the 200yd steel plate.

Bushnell Engage 4-16x44
Burris Extreme Rings
30 moa factory rail
Shot off sand bags

Attachments

• 20180817_093117.jpg
    20180817_093117.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20180817_093236.jpg
    20180817_093236.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180817_093324.jpg
    20180817_093324.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 86
So far accuracy on my factory RPRR has been great with most all 50yd groups between .5- .6in. After zeroing at 100yds I shot this orange colored 4in plate @ 200yds with 3 shots about 2 1/4- 2 1/2in.
Here's some 50yd pics and the 200yd steel plate.

Bushnell Engage 4-16x44
Burris Extreme Rings
30 moa factory rail
Shot off sand bags
What are your thoughts on the cci stingers?.. reason i ask is that if you read through the manual it specifically states not to use "stinger" ammunition in this rifle.. not sure how much of a difference it makes.. but its there..

What are your thoughts on the cci stingers?.. reason i ask is that if you read through the manual it specifically states not to use "stinger" ammunition in this rifle.. not sure how much of a difference it makes.. but its there..
I wouldn't shoot stingers out on any barrel that is not chambered for them. The stinger's case is longer with a smaller bullit that allows it to be shot from a .22LR. The longer casing may damage the throat of the barrel. Additionally the 1 in 16 twist rifling is too fast; I'm sure that you would shoot the barrel out much quicker than if you use standard or HV rounds. That's why GM produces a barrel for the 10/22 chambered for specifically for stingers with a 1 in 9 twist rifling. That's my $.02 worth :)

Reactions: crackerbrown
I wouldn't shoot stingers out on any barrel that is not chambered for them. The stinger's case is longer with a smaller bullit that allows it to be shot from a .22LR. The longer casing may damage the throat of the barrel. Additionally the 1 in 16 twist rifling is too fast; I'm sure that you would shoot the barrel out much quicker than if you use standard or HV rounds. That's why GM produces a barrel for the 10/22 chambered for specifically for stingers with a 1 in 9 twist rifling. That's my $.02 worth :)
Nice man thanks for the reply.. i didnt know about the longer case in the stingers.. makes complete sense.. is the problem the case dosent sit properly in the throat or does it protrude into the barrel itself?..

Nice man thanks for the reply.. i didnt know about the longer case in the stingers.. makes complete sense.. is the problem the case dosent sit properly in the throat or does it protrude into the barrel itself?..

As you can see in the photograph the stinger and the standard 22LR are the same size. The difference is the stinger's case extend up to where the standard's bearing band. It is the bearing band that first comes in contact with the barrel's throat lead and that throat lead is where the bullit engages the rifling. Damaging this area of the barrel will have an adverse effect on the rifle's accuracy. Again I'll state for the record I've only been in this game for a year. The information I'm passing on here is based on what I've read. And like the saying goes "opinions are like ... everyone haste one." I'm quite sure if I got this wrong someone on this forum will set me straight.

Reactions: Hardkandy
It's my understanding from all that I've read over the years is that because of the longer case that the Stinger's have, they should not be used in any Target or Match barrels due to tighter tolerances such barrels have. There doesn't seems to be such a problem when Stinger's are used in standard factory barrels. I've fired them in various Ruger guns (e.g. 10/22, American .22LR, Mark III and SR22) with no issues. With my standard 10/22 with it's 18.5in barrel I get MV's between 1500 and 1550. As suggested before/above, it seems to me that higher velocities like this would tend to wear on any barrel more than the lower velocities do.

I'm glad you asked, I called Ruger the other day as this was a concern of mine as well. They told me that this particular rifle does not have a match chamber so it would be fine to shoot the CCI Stinger.
The main issue I believe is in semi automatics and barrels with really tight match chamber tolerances.
Hope this helps

Someone should figure out how to rechamber and add shims to the Ruger barrels.

Seems like with their 10-22’s if you rechamber them the accuracy goes way up.

Reactions: Vamike9

As you can see in the photograph the stinger and the standard 22LR are the same size. The difference is the stinger's case extend up to where the standard's bearing band. It is the bearing band that first comes in contact with the barrel's throat lead and that throat lead is where the bullit engages the rifling. Damaging this area of the barrel will have an adverse effect on the rifle's accuracy. Again I'll state for the record I've only been in this game for a year. The information I'm passing on here is based on what I've read. And like the saying goes "opinions are like ... everyone haste one." I'm quite sure if I got this wrong someone on this forum will set me straight.
That is very interesting and its fine that your a year in as i am just getting into "the game" lol. it would definitely hold some truth to damaging the throat of the rifle especially since the longer casing will insert further damaging the barrel and creating imperfections in the contact surface with the bullet. In theory this damage (if enough of it) could put off the centre of gravity on the bullet..? I am thinking out aloud here.. :) but you do have me asking allot of other questions about bullet stabilisation and correct rifling, as well as the effects a damaged throat could have on this relationship.

As mentioned earlier, what I got from Ruger was that the case length is more of a reliability/injury issue.
In tighter match chambers this may not allow the bolt to fully close. If that happens it will affect cycling and possibly cause injury.

The Ruger Precision rimfire does not have a match chamber, therefore, it is safe to fire Stingers.
In my experience it is also extremely accurate with Stingers. If you still feel uncomfortable shooting these rounds and want something close , there is CCI Velocitor ammunition that has is shorter case length.
Hope this helps guys.

Reactions: Hardpan
As mentioned earlier, what I got from Ruger was that the case length is more of a reliability/injury issue.
In tighter match chambers this may not allow the bolt to fully close. If that happens it will affect cycling and possibly cause injury.

The Ruger Precision rimfire does not have a match chamber, therefore, it is safe to fire Stingers.
In my experience it is also extremely accurate with Stingers. If you still feel uncomfortable shooting these rounds and want something close , there is CCI Velocitor ammunition that has is shorter case length.
Hope this helps guys.
Yeah sweet man. Thanks for the info. Always good to see someone contact the company and ask the question. I wasnt discrediting your information i was simply rolling with the thought process and diving down the rabbit hole lol.. i probably wont use the stingers but i havent really run many loads through my rifle so still dont know what she likes.

a 1 in 16 twist is slower than a 1 in 9

Another thing with twist rates is generally you need a faster twist for heavier bullets. So a 1 in 9 twist would not be a recommended twist for the lighter weight stinger. I think you misunderstood what you read on GM. They have a stinger chambered barrel but is in a 1 in 18 twist. The 1 in 9 twist GM lists is used for sub sonic rounds to help stabilize the slower heavier bullet weights.

Another thing with twist rates is generally you need a faster twist for heavier bullets. So a 1 in 9 twist would not be a recommended twist for the lighter weight stinger. I think you misunderstood what you read on GM. They have a stinger chambered barrel but is in a 1 in 18 twist. The 1 in 9 twist GM lists is used for sub sonic rounds to help stabilize the slower heavier bullet weights.

See I told ya that someone within the forum would keep me honest. Thanks again...

American Rifleman did a review for their September 2018 issue as well guys.
Their results were consitant with what I've been seeing and hearing, great accuracy.

Very good information.. i will definately keep this in mind when looking for bullets.. cheers.