• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

This was a brand new UNMARKED blazer round. I quickly cycled the bolt with the 15 round mag. Testing more with slower bolt action preduced less gauging, but still marks. 47P's sled produces no marks at all (except ejection)

I may eventually catch up to all of you experiencing feed issues but I just sent mine back today after one complete cycle of clean shoot and clean due to the safety being very hard to move. No suggestion to exchange chassis just issued an RA and I sent it back to NC. Will post as I know.

Last edited:
I’ve also been having FTE problems with my RPRR. It’s gotten progressively worse which is unfortunate because the gun does shoot fantastic and I use it for rimfire Precision matches. New, it dropped a spent shell every 30 or 40 rounds. Now it’s about 1 out of 4 shots.

The main issue I see is that part #29 (spring clip) that has been talked about. The extractor & ejector do their job, the spring clip does not. We modified (bent) the spring clip so it holds the shell better and shells eject 20x’s better & 100% reliable ... the down side, it creates failure to feed issues grabbing the round off the mag. I’m working on shimming the mag well. If this doesn’t work Ruger has offered to send an RMA for evaluation

Follow up to an earlier post. I contacted Bore Tech and they told me the Dewey .22-.26 cal rod I use on all my 10-22s and ARs is too thick and that is why it scrapes along the ejector. Ordered one of Bore Tech's which they say is smaller diameter rod. Will update when I get the Rifle back form Ruger.

So far I've had only good times, thought I would chime in for people collecting data.

Got mine a few months back, shot it stock, but using 10 round mags as I like the curve at the bottom of the mag well for my palm when standing. Usually has a Dead Air Mask suppressor on it. I did take out the stop for the longer bolt throw, feels better to me.

I wasnt able to do better than 1" at 50 with a variety of good ammo so dropped in a Green Mountain 16" fluted which was well worth it.

Dropping 2" and 9 oz. Helps the balance a lot with the suppressor. Group size with Lapua and Wolf are about 1/2" outside to outside edge at 50 yds.

I probably have about 500 rounds through this barrel, and had over 1000 through the other before I swapped. So far zero issues.

I started with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 viper I had laying around. Good 22 scope if you can find a used one cheap. Side focus to 15 yards, easy turrents and reticle with hold overs.

Using in matches with all known distances so ordered a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR with a large dot from the custom shop. Like the dot better than duplex and it's not a stock option.

Just got it mounted so will see if the extra magnification makes any difference.

Anyway, shared my experience so far for those researching stuff.

My question is .22lr .22 magnum or 17 hmr for my next RPRR gun just for plinking and small game here on the farm. I'm leaning 17hme.

I'm just a little envious Old Man. Ruger is responsive so far. They Emailed yesterday that rifle was received, then again this morning that the techs had it and just now that repairs completed and preparing for shipping. No details but when I find out I will post. I'm using a Nikon 3x9x40 EFR AO but only have 10 rounds through it so not much to tell yet. I wouldn't know how to act with big glass. We are limited to 2.5 in VS class so anything more than that is like Disneyland.

Last edited:
I just play around at local club matches, for my share of the shame and bragging rights. Rules are a bit loose and nobody is pulling out a scale or rule book anyway.

Good luck on your rifle, I hope you get to enjoy yours fully very soon.

Ruger's projected delivery 02/18. Of course I have to hang around the farm to sign for it. It will be interesting to see what they did. Also got my cleaning rod from Bore tech. Dewey .22-.26 cal rod OD .210, Bore Tech 22RF rod .190. I sure hope it makes a difference! Delivery was very fast.

Took my boy out shooting his gun today (took the whole family so we went to the outdoor range). Blowing like hell but the gun functioned pretty good. There were a few weak ejections and the 10 round mags fed just fine as long as it was seated properly and you didn’t let it nose forward. I can see where if you build up a little in the mag well you could use the 15-25 round mags no problem.

For now I am going to have him just run the 10 round mags.

Hopefully on Monday or next Saturday we can get to the indoor range and do some accuracy testing

I think one of the big issues with this rifle is the spring clip (part 29) that holds the ejector / extractor; this clip has poor metallurgy and begins to weaken over time. I have seen a pattern with these rifles ejecting "okay" when new, and weakening after use (5 - 600 rds). People I have talked to, and myself included, have not experienced major ejection problems early on and usually are happy with the rifle. After shooting a brick or so they have developed, or discovered the typical problems with the rifle and their opinion changes.

I just bought a new CZ455; I was going to sell the RPRR but I am still undecided at this point. A new spring clip has somewhat fixed my current ejection problems, I already bedded the rear mounting tabs of the action and clearance the safety to make it operate. My barrel is decent and shoots (usually) 1/2" at 50 yds with some consistency. I feel that in the coming months / years we will enjoy great aftermarket support for this rifle and new and improved parts that cure this rifles problems will be available. By then, Ruger will have somewhat fixed most of these issues and probably be selling these for $550. Shame on Ruger for releasing it this way, but at least they will attempt to "fix" it for free (just send in your new gun and wait for weeks and SAVE THE FACTORY BOX!). That's why I'm currently hanging on to mine and relegating it to "second string"...

Took my boy out shooting his gun today (took the whole family so we went to the outdoor range). Blowing like hell but the gun functioned pretty good. There were a few weak ejections and the 10 round mags fed just fine as long as it was seated properly and you didn’t let it nose forward. I can see where if you build up a little in the mag well you could use the 15-25 round mags no problem.

For now I am going to have him just run the 10 round mags.

Hopefully on Monday or next Saturday we can get to the indoor range and do some accuracy testing

In regards to the 10 round magazine issues look into Kidd Innovation's 10/22 magazine plunger and extra strength spring. I've found that the combination has worked very well in my Ruger Precision Rimfire and Ruger American 22LR Rifle.

Reactions: Frankr
In regards to the 10 round magazine issues look into Kidd Innovation's 10/22 magazine plunger and extra strength spring. I've found that the combination has worked very well in my Ruger Precision Rimfire and Ruger American 22LR Rifle.

Thanks for the tip.

We need a sticky with tricks/solutions for the RPRR so it’s easy for all to find

Is anyone else having issues with cycling the bolt with certain mags? The BX 15 that came with the rifle cycles perfectly. BX 10 rotary mags do as well. I tried a BX 25 and the bolt kept binding up. Even with magazine completely empty. No big deal, I always have problems with them in my 10/22 also. I ordered more BX 15s. They are doing the same thing. They cycle perfectly in my 10/22 though. I received another BX 15, ordered from a completely different company about a month after the first batch. Same exact thing. Works like a dream in my 10/22, and I can't even push the bolt home without excessive force in my RPR Rimfire. So at this point, it has to be the rifle. I'll be sending it back to Ruger shortly. You can see where the bolt is rubbing the magazine.
5AD71575-9255-47A6-AB5B-DF903A8BDB63.jpeg

C03FD626-ED9C-4B9A-A619-ECD9F8E96CEF.jpeg

Got rifle back yesterday COB. Note from Ruger said "replaced trigger assembly, function fired 15 rounds without malfunction. Cleaned the barrel and will check torque on action screws before heading to the range. Safety is still not buttery smooth and takes a little effort to push up to safe with firing hand thumb but is easily moved to fire.

F02AD24E-85A3-4321-98F5-6B515083443C.jpeg

New barrel at 50 yards- 5 rounds Eley target ammo.

Have a few issues with it shooting suppressed and won’t feed from new mags that are too tightly wound. But it is showing potential

Am I the only one here that uses the 25 round mag from Butler Creek?
It fits into the magwell very tight with no slop, unlike the Ruger 15 and 25 round mags.
I also think they deliver a straighter bullet feed into the chamber than the Ruger mags.

Am I the only one here that uses the 25 round mag from Butler Creek?
It fits into the magwell very tight with no slop, unlike the Ruger 15 and 25 round mags.
I also think they deliver a straighter bullet feed into the chamber than the Ruger mags.

I've got their 50 round one that I use in my 10/22. I'll have to try it and see what the fit is like. I've been using the 10 round aftermarket rotary mags that work for me quite well.

Reactions: Booner1334
You know I'm starting to come to a realization:

Cost of rifle $399

possible upgrades:
GM barrel $186 w/o shipping
Timney trigger $275 w/o shipping
Upgraded mag spring $7 w/o shipping
Ruger 10 round mag ~$20 (Or a Pita sled for $35 which would be better)

Upgrades total: $488 plus shipping (Cost of a new CZ rifle?)

Percent remaining of original rifle? A stock, rail, chasis, and a bolt?

Total cost with shipping ~$1000? (Thats without an optic!)

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/best-22lr-setup-for-under-1-000.56461/

Exactly how far do I want to chase this dragon?

For my wife’s Tikka T1x. All shipping included
Rifle $455
Pic rail $45
Boyd’s at one w extra accessories. $250
2 extra mag $60
Total $810
The t1x shoots 5rd 1/2 moa at 50 yd with tikka stock. Boyd’s stock is just for look. Not much cheaper than your setup.

Has evryone seen the KIDD replacement mag plunger with stronger sprring? I'm goin to order one to try it. Its in this vid along with mag release extender.
https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Magazine-Latch-Plunger-Stainless-Steel_p_149.html

Very nice. Going to order a plunger today I think.

I wish someone would make a metal mag release like that. I have PWS plastic one on my 10-22 and it's awesome.

Some Questions for you all.

#1 - Stiff safety - What have you all done to make the safety easier to move? ............................. Short of getting a Timney trigger (I can't get my Ruger OEM trigger group out without cutting something)

#2 - Would you remove the magazine release block if it was in there super tight? ............................. my boys magazine block is in there so tight I will probably need to tap it out with a small rubber mallet. I just don't know if I want to yet.

#3 Would it be possible to make the magazine block pin go all the way though the chassis and be retained like the AR15 anti rotation pins for the FCG?

#4 - Weak extraction/ejection - Have any of you seen a difference with using the short throw and long throw when it comes to extraction and ejection?

Very nice. Going to order a plunger today I think.

I wish someone would make a metal mag release like that. I have PWS plastic one on my 10-22 and it's awesome.

Some Questions for you all.

#1 - Stiff safety - What have you all done to make the safety easier to move? ............................. Short of getting a Timney trigger (I can't get my Ruger OEM trigger group out without cutting something)

#2 - Would you remove the magazine release block if it was in there super tight? ............................. my boys magazine block is in there so tight I will probably need to tap it out with a small rubber mallet. I just don't know if I want to yet.

#3 Would it be possible to make the magazine block pin go all the way though the chassis and be retained like the AR15 anti rotation pins for the FCG?

#4 - Weak extraction/ejection - Have any of you seen a difference with using the short throw and long throw when it comes to extraction and ejection?

1) Mine has never been stiff (giggle)
2) Hmm... I had to aluminum tape bed mine, it was loose.
3) I don't see why not, but I also don't see what you would gain.
4) I wondered this as well. I use long throw and don't have many isses at all except with winchester ammo.
5) Not without whiskey
6) You just checked for a fifth question! :)

1) Mine has never been stiff (giggle)
2) Hmm... I had to aluminum tape bed mine, it was loose.
3) I don't see why not, but I also don't see what you would gain.
4) I wondered this as well. I use long throw and don't have many isses at all except with winchester ammo.
5) Not without whiskey
6) You just checked for a fifth question! :)

Ha ha damn I did :LOL:

Taking it apart again.

Just re-adjusted the trigger and going to see if it’s dirty and my shoot it with maybe dry silicon lube to see if it helps.

2935DF77-2098-4798-A55B-B0E14BD89B80.jpeg

EDDEC514-EFFB-42CB-B1F6-0B020B6C3331.jpeg

Here you can see the take-up (the gritty part) When pulling the trigger. The break is crisp but it’s this first part that is super gritty and I want to fix

Here is the issue with trying to remove the trigger group.

The retainer with the spring doesn’t go low enough to clear the receiver.

7D5F2F0A-A2FA-48C0-83B9-3DC93059A0FB.jpeg

This is fully compressed and bottomed out and it still won’t clear the receiver.

The safety seems to have a “2 stage” feel as it clicks twice when you click it to fire.

1st “stage” goes too far and the 2nd “stage” moves it towards safe like 1/64”. Kind of weird

72C6FA0F-2B2E-4622-9EE5-DF19A51F07F4.jpeg

Here is the factory “lube”. Looks like a bad booger on top of the trigger group

I wrote Kidd CS asking about the compatibility of the Magazine plunger and spring and never heard back from them. Got to the range today and ran two 10 rd mags through mine. Results are very encouraging. Using Eley Club first group about .65, after slight sight adjustment second 10 round group is right at .50 @ 50yds, no wind, 65F. I will clean and go again but I am happy right now. The CCISV I first used is not so great. In fact this lot has not been good in any of my rifles. My safety is something I can live with. Before I sent it back to Ruger it was ridiculously hard to move when the action was torqued down. Trigger is fine so I'm in no rush to change anything there.

Frankr I can't tell if you putting the trigger assembly back on or taking it off but i believe the cocking guide spring pin should be at the long end of the "J" before removal/installation. You are fighting against the built up loaded coil spring.

Frankr I can't tell if you putting the trigger assembly back on or taking it off but i believe the cocking guide spring pin should be at the long end of the "J" before removal/installation. You are fighting against the built up loaded coil spring.

In addition it looks like the rifle's safety is off. How were you able to remove the action from the chassis?

Carriec- exactly what was wrong- went back and moved the pin to the end of the "J" and got it out. Now I can really clean and lube it.

Thanks a ton.

In addition it looks like the rifle's safety is off. How were you able to remove the action from the chassis?

The safety was on when it came out. I was watching it as I moved the safety bar to see if I could find where it was binding or where it could use some lube to help make it easier to engaged or disengage the safety.

Closing some loops here. Got with Kidd and they are basing the compatibility of Magazine plunger and spring on the same you tube video. I ordered and will install and advise. Bore Tech rod clears the ejector blade and worked great for me. I am surprised I didn't hear any problems from others using a Dewey .22-.26. The Bore Tech has an epoxy? coating that I found scrapes off on the edges of the cleaning holes in all our 10-22 receivers. We need to chamfer those so it doesn't tear off all the finish on the rod. Other than that, the fun project goes on. I am liking this RPRF.

Last edited:
Closing some loops here. Got with Kidd and they are basing the compatibility of Magazine plunger and spring on the same you tube video. I ordered and will install and advise. Bore Tech rod clears the ejector blade and worked great for me. I am surprised I didn't hear any problems from others using a Dewey .22-.26. The Bore Tech has an epoxy? coating that I found scrapes off on the edges of the cleaning holes in all our 10-22 receivers. We need to chamfer those so it doesn't tear off all the finish on the rod. Other than that, the fun project goes on. I am liking this RPRF.

The cleaning rod I purchased for my .22 Rimfire is one made for a .20 caliber. I don't have any issues with clearance. The .20 rod accepts the same jags as the as the .22 rods.

Ya it's odd that my Dewey works fine on 10-22s and ARs just not on the RPRF. Who knew. You were smarter than me.

Ya it's odd that my Dewey works fine on 10-22s and ARs just not on the RPRF. Who knew. You were smarter than me.

Smarter? No, I doubt that. But maybe I read too much or am more anal.
I also hang my rods vertically when not in use, so the don't take a "set." Now, that's anal.

Ok I braved the cold weather and headed out to the range to do a magazine accuracy comparison. I'm posting a 3x5. My results are surprising and CONFIRM that if the rounds are not loaded perfectly, accuracy goes to hell. Why?.... I found an issue with my BETA PITA Sled.

Excuse list: Its COLD, 39 degrees, and I was literally being buried in 5.56 and 7.62 casings by 2 guys shooting to the left of me. I didn't mind it, but it threw a few of my shots off.

50 yd, FIRST TIME using Eley Edge in the rifle, and it LOVED it. First 5 test shots off target were 1 ragged whole. Which I lol'ed and thought, well that will be the best group of the day since its not on the target I want to take a pic of! :)

Broken down by rows:
Row 1 = 15 rnd stock mag
Row 2 - 10 round clear mag
Row 3 - BETA PITA sled

Let me discuss each row after you see the pic. Each of the circles are 1 inch diameter. (Just trace a $0.25 piece. They are .995 of an inch. Cheap way to test!)

with writing.jpg

Row 1 - accuracy improved..... as the magazine emptied! Less tension on the rounds as they are fed. Target 1/3 is 5 rounds!
Row 2 - most consistant. Flyers were me. I ONLY loaded 5 at a time in the magazine. Less tension.
Row 3 - WTF?! How is the sled this far off? It took me a bit but I figured it out.

I had SEVERE feed issues with the sled. It made no sense. Keep in mind this is a beta one. When I inserted it I made sure it was far up and clicked. It was seated tight. 2 reasons this result was so bad. First was after the initial shot, the sled was infinitesimally dipping down in the front. Each follow up shot was worse, until I had major feed issues. (Like ejecting when pushing the bolt forward!) It wasn't until the very last target 3/3 that I figured it out. This is because of a burr I have on the front pin of my BETA PITA sled. I'm going to file it down and test again. There is no doubt in my mind the sled should be the most accurate.

Secondly, due to trying to figure out the problem, almost every one of the shots in Row 3 were cold bore. It was 39 degrees with a bit of wind. It didn't take long for the barrel to cool. Also I was REALLY cold by the time I got to row 3. It was almost 2 hours. (Testing, people chit chatting, range going cold for people to put up targets, etc) and I was fighting some shivers.

What do I think this proves:
I believe these results only strengthen the belief that if the rounds are not fed perfectly, the accuracy will be off. When looksing at the rounds that failed to feed right on the sled they were nicked. When looking at the rounds with teh highest tension that cause rough feeding and nicks, they were the worst performing. Looking at the mag with the least wiggle, and only 5 rounds for less tension, the results were much better.

I would REALLY love to see someone else with a 10 rnd mag and a sled do this same test!

Reactions: elfster1234
Here is a pic of the burr on the beta pita sled. Obviously its supposed to be round. I didn't remove when I got it because I wasn't sure it was what 47P wanted. I will hopefully retest next weekend.

IMG_20190223_192808.png

just upload...just now :)

this is more what I expected of my testing. I also noticed you have the burr/ramp in the front of your sled. Can you post a pic of just that part for me to compare with mine?

Reloading the sled without losing cheek weld??? ROFL, no way! Hell there are times I have to stand up! Big gorilla hands in a tiny breech!

Reactions: elfster1234
Thanks man I needed that! Also need this rain to stop so I can get some more productive range time in.

Any idea if any company is working the magazine release?

I don't have access to a 3D printer so that's out.

Just ordered the Kidd plunger and extra power spring to help with the magazine tilting. Should be here in 2-4 days

Thanks man I needed that! Also need this rain to stop so I can get some more productive range time in.

It's going on two months since I've been to the range. Nothing but rain, snow, and sleet with temps in the 30's. The good thing is my withdrawal symptoms are over.

I live about 20 minutes from Midway USA, but haven't been there since early January. They were nice enough to call me as a welfare check to make sure I was OK.

Reactions: Dan1775
Has Timney said when they are going to relase there trigger yet, and if anyone was selected to beta test have initial onpnions?