• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Here is a photo from last week testing a new lot of practice ammo (I’m cheap) and I ran it through 4 different guns. Bottom two left groups are the RPRr from a cold bite starting with the group on the bottom left corner.

OEM barrel on it.

Got to figure out the 1st round flyer. It seems to either be me or the gun. Probably a little bit of both

Attachments

• 9F09AF96-4994-42D5-9E89-6C54863C6B26.jpeg
    9F09AF96-4994-42D5-9E89-6C54863C6B26.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 248
Guys is $425 delivered/FFL out the door a solid price on a new Ruger Precision Rimfire? Seems like a solid deal although I had considered waiting until the July 4 weekend in case a sale popped up. Thanks

Reactions: Ldale
Guys is $425 delivered/FFL out the door a solid price on a new Ruger Precision Rimfire? Seems like a solid deal although I had considered waiting until the July 4 weekend in case a sale popped up. Thanks

I got mine for $360, but that's been a long time ago now. But, I'd think one might still be able to find one for less than $400??? $425 is still not a bad deal though.

I got mine for $360, but that's been a long time ago now. But, I'd think one might still be able to find one for less than $400??? $425 is still not a bad deal though.
Yea I'm about to move on it just working out FFL.....$399 shipped for free and $25 from FFL about 3 minutes from my kitchen.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I know the factory safety is reversible from right and left handed but has anyone ever installed an ambi safety on their RPRr? I am used to ambi safeties on my AR rifles. I am going to be swapping the grip to the same grip I use on my ARs and want to add an ambi safety if it is possible.

I know the factory safety is reversible from right and left handed but has anyone ever installed an ambi safety on their RPRr? I am used to ambi safeties on my AR rifles. I am going to be swapping the grip to the same grip I use on my ARs and want to add an ambi safety if it is possible.

I have one installed on mine. I believe it is a seekins and have no issues at all with it.

Today I went to Miami to go shooting, and the temperature was 94 degrees, but who cares I'm out of the house and doing what I like to do each week.
So I took both Precisions but this is my Ruger Precision 17 HMR, with few upgrades, including Timney Trigger.

img_3263_bcc2e3823eecee51b993bbf6a66f2db9a5ca5755.jpg

img_3264_81435a1175b69b991dba25786622ff05bd15a262.jpg

These targets are set at 100 yards, and the second target was 4inch, and the next one pasted on target is so small, I took a picture of it in my hand so you get idea how big the target really is, now look down range at 100 yards, is just a dot.
Love this rifle, it's lot of fun shooting, even in the heat, and you notice I have fan, what it does, cause you have to wear a mask, it helps your glasses from fogging up.
img_3266_c43937bc9c98806fd677b97412d02c7f74195a38.jpeg

img_3267_1_75642b9dc28896795554832f6ae99209386d1760.jpeg

img_3268_1_822ce8746364153940c3aab5a72cff4df6e17796.jpeg

Reactions: Booner1334
New guy here. Just picked up an American Flag version of the RPRR and I am looking forward to getting the glass on it and a bipod. I didn't start with the most expensive glass (Primary Arms) but I think it will be a good starting point to see where we go.

Everyone Be Safe.

Attachments

• IMG_6555.jpg
    IMG_6555.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 205
I managed a range trip yesterday. It was bit windy and despite taking a double dose of primidone for my tremors I was still shaky. It's difficult to get good results when you can see your crosshairs wobbling back and forth a quartr inch or so despite a good front and rear rest. Doubling up on the primidone usually does the trick but not this time. RWS Target Rifle is still the most accurate ammo I've found for my RPR so far even if my groups with everything were lousy.

New guy here. Just picked up an American Flag version of the RPRR and I am looking forward to getting the glass on it and a bipod. I didn't start with the most expensive glass (Primary Arms) but I think it will be a good starting point to see where we go.

Everyone Be Safe.
The looks of that rifle it deserves to be presented so we all can admire it, I'm jealous!
img_6555_1_7accee63464723234abd0a4900f8ca5aefdf59b0.jpg

Reactions: mrt949
The looks of that rifle it deserves to be presented so we all can admire it, I'm jealous!
img_6555_1_7accee63464723234abd0a4900f8ca5aefdf59b0.jpg
Funny thing is that I wasn't "looking" to pick up a new rifle but the paint caught my eye and it wasn't pricey so......Thanks for the reply.

Shoot straight!

I really hate to say this but my Savage Mk2 outshoots my RPR... which I initially purchased to replace the MK2.

I really hate to say this but my Savage Mk2 outshoots my RPR... which I initially purchased to replace the MK2.

I have an early MK II that will outshoot my RPR. I have a fairly recent MK II FV-SR and it doesn't outshoot much of anything except a stock 10/22. I have done a bunch of things to improve it that have done little and I have given up on the thing. I'll never buy another MK II unless it's one of the early guns. Savage made a bunch of changes which which probably made the guns cheaper to produce but the quality ceratainly suffered.

I don't shoot my RPR much now since I have a B14-R, but my RPR is nothing to be ashamed of. Shoots well, still haven't taken the time to shoot any real quality ammo from it, but if I get some good conditions it seems to do well. Attached are some pics of groups shot under relatively good conditions. Don't get many days with good conditions. My sons RPR shoots very similar and I know of one other that does as well. Sorry for those the didn't get a good shooter.
IMG_20190804_201317.jpg
IMG_20190828_130006.jpg
IMG_20190828_130046.jpg
IMG_20200627_193513.jpg

Reactions: FO876
Pretty hard to argue with those groups. Thanks for posting them. Your RPRF deserves some respect.

Buy all you can of that lot of ammo.

Actually, I have been able to shoot very similar groups with 3 lots of the CCI SV and 2 lots of the Eley Action. I have cases of most and a couple cases of others, all bought without testing. Some day I will try some of the mid grade ammos, Center X and the various SK Match versions, just to see what they do.

vaguru you should shoot a 6x5 @ 50 and 100yd and post them in the 6x5 thread.

Maybe some day when conditions are stable and decent. Stable being the most important.

The ranges I shoot at have too many changes too quickly for me to read correctly. The variable changes are what really messes with me. It only takes one change in a great group to spoil it. In the past I have had to wait well over a few minutes to finish a group after the first 3 shots. Waiting for the return of the condition I thought I had sometimes just doesn't work out.

Maybe some day when conditions are stable and decent. Stable being the most important.

The ranges I shoot at have too many changes too quickly for me to read correctly. The variable changes are what really messes with me. It only takes one change in a great group to spoil it. In the past I have had to wait well over a few minutes to finish a group after the first 3 shots. Waiting for the return of the condition I thought I had sometimes just doesn't work out.
Do you use wind flags?

Do you use wind flags?

Yes, I just started using wind flags a month or so ago. Helps immensely but when they switch 180*, and go from just hanging to standing straight out in a matter of seconds they don't help much. Variable winds with quick changes do me in every time. And then there is the mirage. I can read it but don't don't know how much to correct. Shooting bench groups you have to be at least half weatherman.

Yes, I just started using wind flags a month or so ago. Helps immensely but when they switch 180*, and go from just hanging to standing straight out in a matter of seconds they don't help much. Variable winds with quick changes do me in every time. And then there is the mirage. I can read it but don't don't know how much to correct. Shooting bench groups you have to be at least half weatherman.
I use 3 flags. One at the bench, one at 25 yards, and one at 50 yards where I do most of my shooting. The 50 yard flag it attached to the target. I try to keep them all aligned so I can watch them with my left eye, while I have the right eye looking through the scope. When the wind gets real switchey, I get off the bench and go prone. At my range, the shooting is from an elevated position so my barrel is around 6 feet off the ground. When I go prone, my barrel is about 2 feet off the ground and that 4 feet does make a difference.

Reactions: STex
I use 3 flags. One at the bench, one at 25 yards, and one at 50 yards where I do most of my shooting. The 50 yard flag it attached to the target. I try to keep them all aligned so I can watch them with my left eye, while I have the right eye looking through the scope. When the wind gets real switchey, I get off the bench and go prone. At my range, the shooting is from an elevated position so my barrel is around 6 feet off the ground. When I go prone, my barrel is about 2 feet off the ground and that 4 feet does make a difference.

Interesting observation. Unfortunately prone is not an option at one of the ranges I visit, and is questionable at the other.

Booner1334,

The flag at 50 should be moved closer to you. The bullet and the target just don't show wind because the bullet as already done all the "drifting" at that point. I learned this by shooting at serious BR matches.

Reactions: STex
Anyone know if it’s possible to send in a gun to ruger and have them not replace the barrel or action?

My boys RPRR shoots good with the OEM barrel and whistlepig barrel BUT extraction sucks.

I though I had it fixed with bending the spring. The. I swapped the spring for one out of my ruger American rimfire and that doesn’t seem to have helped.
I even swapped the extractor and that doesn’t seem to have fixed it.

I want to send it back in to get them to fix it but the OEM barrel shoots so well (~0.50” @ 50 yards) for an OEM barrel that I don’t want them to scrap it and send me a new one for him.

I have a feeling they will just send back a new gun and I really don’t want that.

Have any of you had experience with Ruger working on your RPRr?

Anyone know if it’s possible to send in a gun to ruger and have them not replace the barrel or action?

My boys RPRR shoots good with the OEM barrel and whistlepig barrel BUT extraction sucks.

I though I had it fixed with bending the spring. The. I swapped the spring for one out of my ruger American rimfire and that doesn’t seem to have helped.
I even swapped the extractor and that doesn’t seem to have fixed it.

I want to send it back in to get them to fix it but the OEM barrel shoots so well (~0.50” @ 50 yards) for an OEM barrel that I don’t want them to scrap it and send me a new one for him.

I have a feeling they will just send back a new gun and I really don’t want that.

Have any of you had experience with Ruger working on your RPRr?
Take the gun apart and send in just the action, no barrel or chassis. You do that and you won’t have to go threw a GFL dealer eaither

Reactions: Frankr
Take the gun apart and send in just the action, no barrel or chassis. You do that and you won’t have to go threw a GFL dealer eaither

Might have to do that. I am hoping I can just send in the bolt.

I Had to file the extractor to get it to work .

I have thought about it but my 17hm2 ruger American works just fine with either of the extractors or springs from either the rprr or rarr.

It will even do it every now and again with bulk ammo. But much more frequent with any ammo CCI SV quality and better.

Radian Talon in mine.

Some ammo has a THICKER RIM

True but I have tried

CCi SV
Eley Target, Eley practice, Eley action etc..
RWS pistol match, rifle match, semi auto, etc..
Geco match
Federal ultra match, auto match, bulk, etc.
Remington gold,
Thundebolts
Winchester super X and wildcat

All of the ammo at some point gets stuck. Some do better than others 1-2 mags no problem but it doesn’t matter, in the end I get cases stuck that can’t be extracted by the bolt.

I thought it was unique to the match chamber on the WP barrel but the OEM barrel is doing the same thing just not as much.

Totally bizarre

CALL RUGER

Going to do that this week.

Took it down and scrubbed it out again.

Today I took it out and it was doing quite well. Still had f

Here are some groups with the Tikka and RPRr on the same page. Both were shooting Eley Action 40gr ammo (my practice ammo).

I give the ergo advantage to the RPRr because the tikka is set up for my wife but the tikka has the better scope.

Not bad for OEM barrel at 50 yards
4CDCAC7F-8D81-4E3F-8582-920CAA58B01E.jpeg

sorry if it’s hard to read but I tried to circle the groups and write the outside to outside measurement and center to center by subtracting 0.22 from the OTO group size.
Can’t rotate the photo but the tikka are the left two columns and ruger is the right 4.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1bdvet and mrt949
Guys Im having a real hard time tacking anything @100yrds with my RPRR17 @100 yrds with my Leopold 3-9 x40. Have about 200 rounds thru it.

Does Ruger need to send me a zero MOA rail? Im seriously considering this as a scope replacement , overkill or not: http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-40x56-side-focus-target-dot/

Im going to have to switch rings to 30mm also and for the life of me I can not figure out exactly how high the rings need to be. Using the Leopold I am using med height and the 40mm objective just clears. Was hoping someone already had the Mueller on a RPRR.

Guys Im having a real hard time tacking anything @100yrds with my RPRR17 @100 yrds with my Leopold 3-9 x40. Have about 200 rounds thru it.

Does Ruger need to send me a zero MOA rail? Im seriously considering this as a scope replacement , overkill or not: http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-40x56-side-focus-target-dot/

Im going to have to switch rings to 30mm also and for the life of me I can not figure out exactly how high the rings need to be. Using the Leopold I am using med height and the 40mm objective just clears. Was hoping someone already had the Mueller on a RPRR.

I have Ruger 17HMR, with 6=18X44 Vortex another rifle Leopold 3=9X40, and at 100 yards I found very hard to hit, there isn't any local ranges, but another range which has 500 yards, I'll visit when weather gets cooler here in S Florida which is a distance from my house.
Here is two pictures, one shows the size of the target, and other 30 rounds. I have it set 12, which at 100 yards you can touch the target.
Here is today shooting.
img_3399_heic_ffd3cd267cbccae397d78c6b61a09f155933e6ac.jpeg

img_3401_heic_06cadcc78541df3c6a68eec58af2733dee67f1a9.jpeg

Last edited:
Have we found any aftermarket stocks yet for the RPRF? I really hate the buttstock on this thing.

What is it you don't like about it?

The cheekplate tilts, the adjustments move if you look at it sideways. If you want to put it in a smaller case ie collapse it down - it is finicky to get back to the exact same spot again. If you ever remove to cheekplate (eg to add a weibad pad) it's like a chinese fire drill to put it all back together again.

Yeah, unfortunately I'd have to agree. As long as I leave mine set in place it's ok but if I try to adjust one thing the entire buttstock gets loose. Only thing I don't like about it.

My boys RPRr should be back from ruger on Tuesday.

They didn’t say what they did to fix the extraction.

Might need to hit the range before I swap back out the barrel.

Got a new 5-20 Bushnell with a 44mm bell which should fit nicely.

Hope they left the old barrel because it shot very well.