• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SFAR small frame 308, 6.8 pounds

Bore volume is greater, which means less mass compared to other barrels with the exact same profile in a different/smaller chambering.

Once you insert a 20rd mag, the weight will start to tilt towards the SFAR a little.

For 5rd hunting mags, it won’t matter.

Question for me with such a rifle is can I defend myself with it if I get rushed by dangerous game (cougar, bear, boars).

Will it actually run in a scenario like that?
I get the volume equation but the point is it's a 308 that's lighter than my ar15s that I consider light enough to drag around all day. I can't think of many "military" style semi auto 308s in the same weight class and only a couple hunting platforms and none of them come at this price with a warranty and they attempted to make is suppressor ready.

I got charged by a turkey while hunting once, it could probably handle that.

• Haha
Reactions: doubloon and BCP
Ran 130 rounds through it today. Just pounded out the first 75 of ball ammo on gas setting 3. Ball accuracy was pretty horrendous. Had 2 stuck cases. Scrubbed the bore and moved on to handloads. First group with 168hpbts was about an inch and a half with 4 touching in an inch. Ran 175bthps and then some 168amaxes and some 125ssts. All the groups were pretty similar. 3 or 4 touching throwing the fliers in a vertical string. Shot a 10 round group that had 7 in an inch with 3 fliers.
Cases weren't too chewed up from the ejectors. Didnt look bad at all. Gas system didn't display any horrible issues. Seemed a little under gassed on setting 1 with the suppressor. Setting 2 ran fine unsuppressed. The regulator adjustment is very stiff now, dont know what's up with that.

Just brushed the barrel out and scoped it. Today's shooting didnt do much to the ring in the barrel. The chamber looks like it was cut with a rusty pinecone. Planning on giving the chamber a polish and keep shooting it.

Overall pretty happy. Accuracy was maybe better than expected and shows promise. None of the horrible issues people on youtube had raised their heads. Will probably run a few hundred more rounds through it before standardizing on a load and tuning it for that.

Yeah, a rusty pinecone seems more accurate than a single point fly cutter with runout. We just need to determine where they're growing the tool steel pine trees and tape some chamber reamers to them so they might be mistaken for pinecones by the imaginary Ruger QC staff.

Dubloon and I attempted to post about this on the Ruger forum, but they banned him and I'm persona non grata numero uno. When they get home from the klan rally tonight, they're gonna be ripping pissed I insulted the manufacturer of their mini 14s.

Picked up a SFAR couple of months ago and life has prevented me from shooting it yet. Decided to throw my borescope in it and see how it looked. So the good...the rifling looks great. no burrs in the tube that I see. Gas port is also beautiful and perfectly centered. And the bad...the thing looks like it was chambered with a paddle bit. Lots of nasty gouges and off axis. One land starts right after the neck and the rest are an oval pattern from there.

Guess I will still try shooting it but I am predicting it will take a trip back to Ruger for a new boom stick...

WIN_20230827_19_02_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230827_19_07_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230827_19_07_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230827_09_03_19_Pro.jpg
SFAR Chamber 2.jpg
SFAR Chamber 1.jpg

I should have looked closer at the freebore of mine. I just saw how chattered up it was and laughed. For clarification, I remember it was very chattered on one side and not the other. It was not symmetrical.

Reactions: doubloon
When I bore scoped my unfired 20" SFAR the throat was non concentric but the chamber was smooth. However it was accurate enough with groups from .75 to 1.5 moa. Given the fact that it's a 308 AR without a heavy barrel the accuracy is acceptable . Mine cycles fine at 2 with almost any load. I'm trying some service rifle loads from the Hornady manual for range shooting. They give the best accuracy with reduced blast and recoil.

I never inspected SFAR but it’s runs well, except don’t feed well from Magpul 10rd mags. 20rd Magpul and 25rd Lancers work and proved themselves last 2 gun match. Ball magtech ammo accuracy 3 moa using 1-6 pst ii.

Reactions: rpoL98 and BCP
I had the same problem. I had to tap the plug out with a brass punch. The plug grooves had some compacted brass/copper particles stuck in them. Scraped it out and it works fine now.
I'll have to look into the disassembly of the gas block. It's promising that it can be fixed. I couldn't feel the detent the last time I adjusted it.

I didnt look too closely at the chamber the first time I scoped it so I wouldn't have any preconceptions about its abilities. The fired brass all has shiny rings around them. That added to the stuck cases that had the rims ripped off and had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod makes me think that tuning the gas system by the ejection pattern is pointless.

Ruger is like a Dollar General version of sig. Their engineering is amazing. Their products look great on paper but disappointing in execution. I assume their engineers are all from NASA who've fallen on hard times due to drug addictions. Their QC department is a feral cat. The machinists are all on parole with inner ear infections and can't have any sharp objects (especially chamber reamers). And their customer service department, those poor bastards. What did they do to deserve that job?

At the end of the day this rifle is like a $5 blow job from a toothless lot lizard. It didnt live up too expectations but it resembled what it was supposed to be and it was only $5.

The regulator adjustment is very stiff now, dont know what's up with that

I don't plan to adjust mine often, maybe at all, once it's running but there is quite a bit of play in the machining which lets gas leak through it and move around in it like drafty castle shuttered with plank doors. Crap accumulates in it similar to baffles in a 22lr suppressor. If you plan to tune it often you'll need to clean it often. Try soaking it in some high temp silicon oil to slick it up.

Range day thwarted again today by the honey-dos ... next week for sure.

@celltech that gas port has some really clean edges, mine doesn't cross a land either and my chamber is the ugliest thing about the barrel as well.

Not sure what's going on with the neck in mine, twinsen may be on to something, last time I was out for the shots I fired with the gas completely off cases were sticking making extraction a challenge ... had to tap the charging handle on a couple

I live about 15mins away from the Ruger plant in Prescott, AZ. They regular advertise machinist jobs for ~15$ an hour. You get what you pay for.
Yeah, $15 now buys the sharpest tool in the drawer.... at In & Out Burger.
Machinists? Maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRRPF52
I'm pretty sure In & Out starting pay is higher than $15/hour...

I'd be surprised if those $15/hr jobs at Ruger were anything more than an intern or an assembler or *maybe* a "CNC operator" but unlikely an actual machinist unless we're using the term in the loosest sense of the word. A drill press is a "machine", I own one, I operate it but that doesn't make me a "machinist".

It still takes a modest amount of skill and an attention span longer than a millennial's to push buttons correctly but most of what you need you can get in OJT.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and rpoL98
That’s likely true. We used to hire machine operators to run our high volume CNCs, but all they did all day was load, Unload and push buttons. All set up was done by just a few trained techs. Even they were not actual machinists in the definition sense of the word.

I had the same problem. I had to tap the plug out with a brass punch. The plug grooves had some compacted brass/copper particles stuck in them. Scraped it out and it works fine now.

Pulled the regulator while I had the gasblock off, the equivalent of glitter poured out of it. The gas block journal of the barrel was plated in copper/brass. I expected it to be carboned in but not plated. That gap is ridiculous. I wonder if the flakes of brass and copper are caused from the non concentric chamber and throat with the non ramped (squared off with a hard edge) side of the lands.

Polished the chamber while I had the barrel out. Don't know how much it could help since the sides of the chamber look like a threaded bolt hole just before the shoulder. Added .003" of shims to the extension. Barrel seated tighter but still didn't require any heating of the receiver. This is the most shim material I've ever used on a barrel extension.

We'll see if things get better tomorrow. May toss the H2 buffer in to see how it runs.

The plug grooves had some compacted brass/copper particles stuck in them

I wonder if the flakes of brass and copper are caused from the non concentric chamber and throat

Have you inspected the case mouths on the spent shells? Are they chipped up?

I had brass chips all over my BCG and chamber lugs but I don't recall seeing any inside the regulator.

I just checked the last 40 cases fired through my 20" SFAR. There are some small divots at the mouths but not bad for an AR 10 style rifle. The brass looks pretty good for being run through a 308 semi-auto. I now regularly check for free movement of the gas plug. I've had no problems since I freed it. Mine does sprinkle very small brass chips around the extension and bolt area but seems within a normal range for an AR. I am shooting fairly mild "service rifle" loads lately which probably helps keep the brass from being roughed up much.

Have you inspected the case mouths on the spent shells? Are they chipped up?

I had brass chips all over my BCG and chamber lugs but I don't recall seeing any inside the regulator.
I would think any brass chips outside of the chamber were coming from the ejector holes on the bolt shaving them.

mild "service rifle" loads

Probably helps, I know the hunting rounds fared the worst in my rifle, popped primers in addition to shredded bases.

For my purposes, if the only thing I can shoot in it is range fodder then I don't have a use for it. I've swapped out the gas block, I just need to find time to get out to the range with it again.

I put another 80 rounds through my bone stock 20” today. The thing was flawless. Maintained roughly 1 MOA when I did my part - shooting 168gr Hornady SuperFormance. Gas block on setting 2. The trigger appears to be getting better - or I’m just more familiar with it.

Next time out I’ll bring the chronograph and compare it with the RPR using the same ammo.

I put another 80 rounds through my bone stock 20” today. The thing was flawless. Maintained roughly 1 MOA when I did my part - shooting 168gr Hornady SuperFormance. Gas block on setting 2. The trigger appears to be getting better - or I’m just more familiar with it.

Next time out I’ll bring the chronograph and compare it with the RPR using the same ammo.
GTFO. This is a bitch fest thread. Start your own with your positive experiences…. 🤣

GTFO. This is a bitch fest thread. Start your own with your positive experiences…. 🤣
Well I know how to piss it off.
I will load a mag full of Igman Serbian MilSurp M80 ball - and it will tear some brass up!

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

That brass gets stuck in the chamber and has to be mortared out….

But, how does it group?
I can’t even recall how well it grouped with that ammo.
I was so frustrated at having to mortar every round out, I don’t think I payed any attention.

That ammo did seem fine in my other 7.62x51 weapons.
But they’ve all had thousands of rounds through them.
The PTR loves it.... but I can’t tell you anything about how it groups.
As a pistol - it’s moment of barn side.

Reactions: lash and doubloon
The trigger appears to be getting better
That brass gets stuck in the chamber and has to be mortared out

I like the trigger, it probably will get better with more pulls.

If you set the gas on zero you may find even decent brass starts sticking pretty hard. The PPU stuff cycles on all other settings but on zero I had to give the charging handle a stout tap to pull it loose. I'm assuming it sticks on all settings but the BCG is just getting slammed hard enough shake it loose. Starting to think the chamber is a bigger issue than the gas port.

You're probably exaggerating the brass issue, an 'expert' will be along shortly to tell you that's normal for all AR-10s and you should be able to knock that burr off with some sandpaper and reload it no problemo. :p

I looked at a SFAR because of the price. The size and appearance is nice, but it didn't have a robust feel. I'm skeptical and the SR-556 comes to mind. It was highly praised when released, but it was ultimately a flop. SFAR online reviews reflect many of the same issues (snappy, inaccurate, leaking gas block, eating brass) mentioned in this thread. IMO, Ruger needs to fix their QC department by performing more component sampling before assembly and more product testing after assembly.

Oof… it’s 900-1000$ gun and people expected a lot from it. I don’t see PSA thread with people complaining about 500$ ar15. We get what we pay for!!! Live with it :)

Reactions: Bendigo78 and lash
Oof… it’s 900-1000$ gun and people expected a lot from it. I don’t see PSA thread with people complaining about 500$ ar15. We get what we pay for!!! Live with it :)
People expected that if ruger was going to put an innovative product to market, that it would at least match up to a basic bitch AR10 and not eat brass.

I like the ideas behind the SFAR, so I’m hoping Ruger can solve the issues with it even if it requires a Gen 2

people expected a lot from it. I don’t see PSA thread

I only expected it to work and provide hunting accuracy, never expected it to be a precision rifle.

Not familiar with the PSA but does it chew brass like the SFAR or do cases stick in the chamber like the SFAR? Serious questions, maybe the PSA is a better rifle at half the price.

My SFAR has zero issues with good ammo. Foreign made M80 MilSurp is meant for machine guns.

I’m happy with this rifle.
I’m happy with my SR-556.
I’m happy with my RPR.

I’m not looking for stuff to complain about.

My SFAR has zero issues with good ammo. Foreign made M80 MilSurp is meant for machine guns.

I’m happy with this rifle.
I’m happy with my SR-556.
I’m happy with my RPR.

I’m not looking for stuff to complain about.
Ruger is an American Legend in the firearms industry. I expect more from Ruger and more is quality and reliability even if its on a budget. I own a GP100 and I love my 7-shot 357 Mag. I almost purchased the RPR but ended up getting the Tikka T3x TAC A1. The RPR is a great rifle and credit to Ruger bringing quality and affordability to precision marksmanship. Ruger does have its struggles. A coworker has 2 Hawkeyes in different calibers. One was returned once and the other twice for accuracy issues. The zero is still not consistent with either so he bought a Nosler and is happy. The SFAR has too many inconsistencies that is reflected in many online reviews. This should not be from a highly respected American Legend.

This. The SFAR should of been priced at $1700, if it had Ruger would owe every buyer a new barrel and gasblock. Had a cousin bring me his bear creek ar15 cause it stopped cycling. "I spent good money on this for it not to run". No, you spent the bare minimum to get something that resembles what you wanted and you got what you paid for. I tightened his gas block and he went away happy.

I wanted a project in this rifle and I got it. I bitch cause I'm happy. I can't figure out how Ruger chambers their $500 Americans properly but fucked these ups so bad.

:)

I really like the idea behind this rifle as others have stated; I like the price point of this rifle as it was clearly intended for wide acceptance and sales . All the reading b I’ve done on line and the guntube reviews it seems as once again a major gun company wants us, the consumer to be the beta tester . For every post or video review of some one loving this light weight little rifle it seems there are 3 people with problems- accuracy, reliability and over all machining and fit and function.
Maybe by the time the SFAR gets to gen 2 or 4 it’ll be the rifle it’s been hyped to be .
It could be that it’s pushin GB the design envelop right to the ragged edge such a small light rifle chambered in .308 but it’s no excuse for the poorly cut chambers , poorly fitted gas blocks , over sized gas ports and all other types of poor QC I’ve been reading about for a year .

it's a 900-1000$ gun... $1000 is a lot of money to spend on a lemon.
people expected a lot from it... this is Ruger right?
don't see PSA thread with people complaining about 500$ ar15... a $500 PSA AR-15 works so people aren't complaining.
we get what we pay for... just because many AR-10/15's are overpriced doesn't mean Ruger can release an affordable AR with problems.
live with it... Ruger has to first fix the relibility issues before anyone can live with it.

Don't compare PSA to the SFAR. PSA costs less than half as much and works. Minute of barn, though.

Don't compare PSA to the SFAR. PSA costs less than half as much and works. Minute of barn, though.
Bull on the minute if barn part….
Unless you are shooting Wolf or TulAmmo 55gr.

Good ammo makes them shoot like a Gucci gun. People that can afford Gucci guns shoot good ammo. People that can barely afford PSA - buy cheap steel and get less than stellar results.

Let’s go shooting. Bring a high-dollar AR. I’ll bring a PSA. We can compare notes and targets.

Reactions: mtrmn
I have to imagine the qc issues will be worked out by ruger. The scary bore scope pics seem like evidence they're trying to churn these out at a very high rate. The design is probably a lot better than the worst examples of its execution.

Bull on the minute if barn part….
Unless you are shooting Wolf or TulAmmo 55gr.

Good ammo makes them shoot like a Gucci gun. People that can afford Gucci guns shoot good ammo. People that can barely afford PSA - buy cheap steel and get less than stellar results.

Let’s go shooting. Bring a high-dollar AR. I’ll bring a PSA. We can compare notes and targets.
Weird. Never seen 55gr 308. You must know a lot more than me.