• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing RustOleum Hammer Tone Spray Paint

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
I've been trying to figure out what finish to use on my McRee stock. The rifles only gets used for target and steel shooting, so camouflaging isn't necessary. Has anyone tried using the Hammertone finish on rifle or anything with a high wear factor. It leaves a uneven semi gloss when it dries.

Re: RustOleum Hammer Tone Spray Paint

I put it on a truck bumper I built and it stayed on there if thats what you mean.

I put it on my rims a few years back and it's still 90% there. The only places where it came off are the places that I couldn't get to with sandpaper. My truck gets abused more in a month than most do in their entire lifetime. It is very durable.

Laying down a coat of self-etching primer beforehand might be a good idea if you've got one with uncoated aluminum. If you're going to be putting it down over the factory Cerakote then probably not necessary.