• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report S & B 6.5 CM 140 gr ammo

Paul1262

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Given the limited availability and cost of match ammo, I picked up some S & B 6.5 CM 140 gr ammo the other day. Curious to know if anyone has experience with this ammo especially out to 1,000 yards. Also, I was surprised to see that the BC was listed at: G1 0.537 and G7 0.270. Thanks

In for the info. I've been shooting Hornady AG and ELD M for years, finally came to the bottom of the stash and picked up some SB.

I bought 500 rounds before the pandemic to use as warm up rounds. They held almost the identical zero of the Hornady. 2 clicks difference.
I haven’t taken them to 1000, so I’m not sure of their performance to that distance, but they ring steel at 600 every bit as well as Hornadys.

I picked some up the other day, Groups fine in both my rifles and took it out 500. First box had a case failure, split case, FYI

I grabbed a case of 500 as well. It should arrive tomorrow and I’m excited to see how it shoots. I quickly researched some reviews and threads on it before buying and other than being a bit slow people seem to like it a lot, especially for the price. Pandemic pricing of 79 cents a round blew every other deal I’ve seen out of the water so I couldn’t pass it up. Ended up being about 90 cents after tax and shipping which is still phenomenal in the current state of affairs. I checked back about two hours after purchasing and it was sold out and haven’t seen a deal that could touch it again since.

The box indicates muzzle velocity of 2,657 fps, using 21.7" barrel. I have seen videos where users were averaging 2,751 fps and 2,773 fps. Not sure what length barrel they were using. Has anyone used a chrongraph on this ammo?

I just got back from the range and wanted to share my experience in testing the muzzle velocity of the S & B 6.5 CM 140 gr. My rifle has a 24" barrel and I was using a Magnetospeed Sporter chronograph. High 2,703 Low 2,672 Average 2,689 SD 12 ES 31.

Good for plinking...not much for anything serious. Bought a case and fired 60. You get occasional flyers like I have never seen before in a centerfire cartridge. Sold the rest.

May be my barrel though. It is a much shorter cartridge (COAL) than the others I use that work well.

YMMV

I use it to break in 6.5CM barrels, haha. I have about 100 rounds left.

I just finally got around to trying this round in my Tikka CTR. 2”+ 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I understand that some loads just don’t shoot well in certain guns, but I was prepared for worst case scenario to be 1.5 moa. These were all over the place. Not even a reasonable group with a flier or two. They were just evenly spread out terrible groups. Anyone else have similar results? I still have 440 rounds left 😑

There's always about 3 flyers per box I've ever fired. But most of the time I get 1 MOA or so from both of my 6.5CMs. Often less on the Begara.

Reactions: Nik H
I wouldn't purchase the S & B if I was planning on precise target competitions. I purchased 100 rounds a couple of weeks ago for $15.95 plus tax. Yesterday, I stopped by a local gun shop and they were charging $ 23.00 plus tax. Having a supply of 6.5 CM regardless of less than match grade is better than none. Also, if prices stay high you might even get most of your money back if you want to sell.

While I never tried the S&B 6.5 creed ammo I bought some 7.62 tokarev and the 30% of the primers were flattened to death.
Also some 5.6x52R that is supposed to have .228 diameter bullets confirmed on their website but came with .225 diameter bullets.

I contacted them and their response was the bullets were within specifications.
No more S&B for me.

Actually

Even though I am not a fan of the 140 grain 6.5 Creedmoor, I use the S&B 250 grain 338 LM. It is unreal. Super consistent and very accurate.

Don't know why they can't seem to build a better 6.5 CM round

I was hammering steel at 820 with them! did better than expected, they are slow and the tips are far from sharp but they
FA7DF6DC-3A7E-412F-9C6B-EFE1CE631B14.jpeg
work!

Reactions: clcustom1911
prime 130gr 319.99 + shipping for 200 rounds 1.60 per round yea it has a 2 to 3 week wait

Reactions: clcustom1911
Actually

Even though I am not a fan of the 140 grain 6.5 Creedmoor, I use the S&B 250 grain 338 LM. It is unreal. Super consistent and very accurate.

Don't know why they can't seem to build a better 6.5 CM round
There 131gr stuff shot lights out in my Proof stainless barreled RPR... especially for the price!. Surprised the shit outta me. Never had a 3-5 shout group larger than 1moa out to 2-300 yards. It was soft point, so the BC wouldn't be all that great out past 700 or so, but for short/medium range, it was fantastic.

I'm actually glad that S&B shoots good for some people, seemed like a hell of a bargain for the price. Unfortunately, it shot like like shit for me. I think I was getting 2"+/- at 100 yards.

I've not shot the S&B but have been a range officer at Quantico with people trying to shoot it to 1,000. I would say it's good for plinking, but it's too inconsistent for precision. It was all over the place for velocity and they'd shoot a couple well, then they were off target (flyers). They asked us (RSOs) for help spotting and a diagnosis. We had all we needed when we saw it was S&B. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: fxdrider
I've not shot the S&B but have been a range officer at Quantico with people trying to shoot it to 1,000. I would say it's good for plinking, but it's too inconsistent for precision. It was all over the place for velocity and they'd shoot a couple well, then they were off target (flyers). They asked us (RSOs) for help spotting and a diagnosis. We had all we needed when we saw it was S&B. ;)
Thanks for your comments/observations. Most users of this ammo seem to experience the same issues. "Good for plinking, but it's too inconsistent for precision".

Shot with this ammo last year using a Tikka T3X on 26inch barrel out to 1000m, pretty accuracy factory ammo, especially with that price at about 70cent per round when you buy in bulk. Group at 1000m is about 1-1.2MOA group with under 10mph wind.

I’ve used them in my DTA SRS A1 6.5 factory barrel and my custom Rem Bartlein.

Guess they are ok if you don't mind the random case rupture every once in awhile, two in this thread. Personally not worth the gamble for me.

I've shot about 500 of the S&B BT 140 grain. I used them to get used to my gun after I bought it and later for warming up and casual target practice. They are not a precision round, but I have easily hit steel at 300, 400 and 500 yards and had some hits at 600 and 700. I mostly shoot paper at 100, 200 and 300. I've been hand loading and I'll shoot 5 of the S&Bs to check conditions before going through my various loads in 5 shot groups. I figure that if I can't beat the S&Bs with my loads then I need to keep working on it. I've been paying about $19.95 for a box so they are cheap practice ammo. The bullet is stubby. I read a test where the BC was measured at .45 G1. The other day at 300 yards the S&Bs deflected about 4" due to the wind compared to Nosler 140 RDFs that I had hand loaded. They mostly shoot okay though, with the occasional flyer. I've never had a rupture or any kind of defect. I have reused some of the brass and it's been fine. I do measure and weight it and toss out the outliers as there is a spread.

Last edited: