• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

riverman1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2012
Edgewood, Texas
Has anyone actually seen the new Springfield High Power in the wild yet? It looks very interesting to me. I am going to start looking around for one.

Finding one isn't too terribly difficult, but finding one that is under $1200 is another story.
Think I'll wait it out until they aren't double MSRPo_O

I also have my eyes open for one of these. Been hearing great things about it. But right now you can’t find one for a decent price.

They can barley make a 1911 that works for under $2K and they have been making them for 40 years. I won't hold my breath.

Plenty of good Hi power clones out there with proven track record.

Everyone forgets springfield trying to implement gun control in their state. No 2A lover would ever give them a dime.

• Love
Reactions: GhostFace
I have a SA 1911-9mm, SA 1911-.45 and an SA XDM-9mm. They all function flawlessly., and shoot well.

I guess I will have to research their gun control efforts. I either don't know or have forgotten about it.

If it shoots like my Ronin, I’ll pass.
My gunsmith opened up my Ronin to do a tuneup/trigger job. All MIM parts
Hopefully this is different

talked to my LGS manager today, he said not to expect to see them in stock at normal retail for a couple of months

Saw that yesterday and I had no idea that Hi Powers were known for extraction issues. I know my way around a 1911, but I'm not interested in learning how to wrench another platform at this point. Between that and the realization that all the work I'd want done to the SA would make it a $2.5k gun, I won't bother. Too bad, because I think it would make a nice sized carry gun; about the same as my CCO.

If you want a Hi Power then get a Novak or C&S custom. One of the best handguns ever but needs lots of work to make them run right. Propperly built, they are right up there with the Semi-Custom 1911s, but IMO are much nicer to shoot and carry than a 9mm 1911.

Good. Save yourself the headache buying defective guns out of the box.

A sample of one. But they're all defective. Gotcha.

Before you accuse me of being a fanboy, I don't have one and I don't want one. I don't do SAO handguns.

I wonder if he ever replaced the extractor and spring. That should have been the next move after cleaning it out and finding the problem was still there.

ETA: No, he didn't. Just gave up on it since it's not his gun.

To be honest, asking a YouTuber to diagnose and repair a firearm - especially an archaic design, and especially a modern rendition of an archaic design - is a bit much. I mean, if the channel is called JMBexpert and the dude is selling his expertise in all-steel SAO handguns from the years 1911 to 1935, then maybe it's a different story. But these guys are basically avatars of the average gun buyer, and that demographic is no better-equipped to be troubleshooting an 85-year-old design than, say, Matt Farah or Doug DeMuro is going to be getting into the details of divorced choke spring preload adjustment to address a warm-start problem on the 1975 K5 Blazer that they borrowed for a 15-minute quick-take review. It's specialization that is not the realm of a generalist.

My buddy just asked if I wanted to be on the list for the next batch of these that he's receiving, and I said, yeah, why not, it's only money. And if it doesn't work, then I'll probably start swapping parts that aren't broken and filing on stuff I shouldn't because that's the way I'm wired.

If you look around the web, it appears the extraction issues are endemic to Hi Powers, hence my own use of that term, vs the SA specifically.

A sample of one. But they're all defective. Gotcha.

Before you accuse me of being a fanboy, I don't have one and I don't want one. I don't do SAO handguns.

I wonder if he ever replaced the extractor and spring. That should have been the next move after cleaning it out and finding the problem was still there.

ETA: No, he didn't. Just gave up on it since it's not his gun.
When you send a gun to a youtuber with millions of scribers who will do an actual review, perhaps its in your interest to make sure the gun actually works.

Springfield makes shit guns. Its nothing new. Want a good Springfield? Order from the custom shop where they actually test and run them before they ship.

Its 2021. If a gun does not run out of the box its a failure. If they send defective guns to someone this important, what do you think they are sending to your local gun shop?

Amazing how HKs and Glocks never seem to have these problems.

Again, there are Tens of Millions of Hi-powers and Hi-power clones out there that are proven. Why would anyone buy a shitty Springfield attempt where FN couldn't make it profitable selling guns at $1k. Somehow Springfield is going to do what one of the largest and most successful gun companies in the world couldn't do, for the half the price?

Reality Check Time.

We all want to see reviews of guns randomly picked off the assembly line and delivered to reviewers. In that guise, the reviewed specimen may well be a representative example of what a buyer could expect. (And, the viewer may well say, "Hmm, he had a problem, but it is a sample of one so...") However, what we (jadedly?) expect is that the guns supplied to reviewers are cherry picked and are extraordinary examples- as the reviews often commercials for the product. As such, the expectation is that the gun reviewed is as good as it gets. SA provided a faulty firearm, the followed that up with a second faulty firearm- though less problematic than the first.

Fuck it, GT isn't a gunsmith. He isn't an armorer. He's a youtube gun/gear reviewer. It's not his job to diagnose problems with factory fresh firearms. He was supplied 2 firearms, both of which had issues with extraction. Sure, the issues could well be as simple as a faulty extractor, but it is not his job to diagnose or repair a faulty firearm. Receive the guns, shoot the guns, give impressions of the guns. The poor review is on SA for providing broke-dick guns, not on GT for failing to go out of his way to diagnose and fix the problem.

And Gen 3 G22s have the issue of frame flex when equipped with a weapon light...

The early gen 4s ran, they would just throw brass back.

Many did not, with random stovepipes every couple of mags. Mine included.

Anyway, not defending SA but your assumption that a small company can't get right what the big boys can't is laughable. I know mfg isn't your lane so I'll take your comments under advisement.

Springfield, like Sig has a long track record of putting dogshit on the market and using their customers as beta testers.

These examples just prove nothing has changed. Being a small company has nothing to do with. Being a bottom shelf firearms manufacture with a piss poor track record is. The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Novak and Cylinder & Slide are both very small companies, yet they pump out the nicest HP you can buy.

FN has some of the most advanced weapons factories in the world with 80 years of experience building the HP. Its an expensive firearm to do right, just like the 1911. Modern manufacturing has made it easier but there is still enough fitting that requires knowledgeable builders who understand the platform. They decided that is was no longer worth making, which I assume is based on rising costs which would make the gun even more expensive. Most of the gun is made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

The gun is expensive and most people aren't willing to pay the premium. That is what it costs to build a functional reliable weapon, albeit stripped down.

Somehow springer is going to build them with zero expereince and sell them for half the cost? Not going to happen unless its a pos. They don't even design most shit in house, they just buy others designs and slap their name on it. I wonder if these frames are made in brazil like their shitty 1911 frames are. How much else of the gun was outsourced? Maybe they went all tikka massala and butter chicken like Sig.

This should not be surprising to anyone paying attention.

Springfield, like Sig has a long track record of putting dogshit on the market and using their customers as beta testers.

These examples just prove nothing has changed. Being a small company has nothing to do with. Being a bottom shelf firearms manufacture with a piss poor track record is. The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Novak and Cylinder & Slide are both very small companies, yet they pump out the nicest HP you can buy.

FN has some of the most advanced weapons factories in the world with 80 years of experience building the HP. Its an expensive firearm to do right, just like the 1911. Modern manufacturing has made it easier but there is still enough fitting that requires knowledgeable builders who understand the platform. They decided that is was no longer worth making, which I assume is based on rising costs which would make the gun even more expensive. Most of the gun is made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

The gun is expensive and most people aren't willing to pay the premium. That is what it costs to build a functional reliable weapon, albeit stripped down.

Somehow springer is going to build them with zero expereince and sell them for half the cost? Not going to happen unless its a pos. They don't even design most shit in house, they just buy others designs and slap their name on it. I wonder if these frames are made in brazil like their shitty 1911 frames are. How much else of the gun was outsourced? Maybe they went all tikka massala and butter chicken like Sig.

This should not be surprising to anyone paying attention.
Hey, I like tikka Massala. And, the trigger I’m my Canik beats the shit out of the Sig 320…

I wonder if these frames are made in brazil like their shitty 1911 frames are. How much else of the gun was outsourced?

The slide and frame forgings come from South Korea. They are machined at SA.

You don't know what you don't know if you think doing everything in house is a guarantee of quality. Of that I am certain.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
The slide and frame forgings come from South Korea. They are machined at SA.

You don't know what you don't know if you think doing everything in house is a guarantee of quality. Of that I am certain.

Their imported products are among their worst, namely their Brazilian built 1911s and their Croatian built semi autos. I have forgotten more about this subject then you will learn in a lifetime.

Not sure why you are arguing. You know I am correct, You have zero evidence to back up. All arrows point towards this gun being another in a long line of failures. Video evidence of an unbias reviewer confirmed it with not one but two examples.

What the fuck is with people like you making leaps of logic and generalizations.

We are talking about Springfield, Not intel or Ford or fucking kinder eggs. No one said shit about doing things in house = quality. Context matters.

The only thing I am certain so far is you know little to nothing about the subject being discussed, but want to wave your ass. Keep going, its entertaining.

I spoke with someone last week who received one of the first available retail units. He said his unit showed high quality of machining, it's tights, and shoots with zero issues.

I'm on the list for one at the local gun shop when it arrives, so we'll see.

Everyone on this thread who actually owns a Springfield SA-35, please raise your hand.

✋🏻

Reactions: Alpine 338
Their imported products are among their worst, namely their Brazilian built 1911s and their Croatian built semi autos. I have forgotten more about this subject then you will learn in a lifetime.

Not sure why you are arguing. You know I am correct, You have zero evidence to back up. All arrows point towards this gun being another in a long line of failures. Video evidence of an unbias reviewer confirmed it with not one but two examples.

What the fuck is with people like you making leaps of logic and generalizations.

We are talking about Springfield, Not intel or Ford or fucking kinder eggs. No one said shit about doing things in house = quality. Context matters.

The only thing I am certain so far is you know little to nothing about the subject being discussed, but want to wave your ass. Keep going, its entertaining.

Since you don't have an SA-35, I don't think you know shit from shinola

The Brazilian (Imbel) frames for 1911s are fine. Lots of great gunsmiths happy to build on those.

P35 is a beautiful gun, but it isn't great to shoot and it is a fucking pain in the ass to work on, or even put back together after anything more than field stripping.

The Brazilian (Imbel) frames for 1911s are fine. Lots of great gunsmiths happy to build on those.

P35 is a beautiful gun, but it isn't great to shoot and it is a fucking pain in the ass to work on, or even put back together after anything more than field stripping.
Just takes practice, pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Only issue I have with shooting the SA-35 is the tactical fagtical U-notch rear sights.

Just takes practice, pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Only issue I have with shooting the SA-35 is the tactical fagtical U-notch rear sights.
I've been rebuilding 1911s since I was a teenager, and I have never gotten as close to as frustrated as I do putting that fucking sear lever back in a Hi Power. I don't like that I short stroke the trigger a lot on follow up shots. It's just a training issue, but I can't think of another pistol I shoot that requires me to think about pulling the trigger differently. Feeling it differently, sure, but not to the point that I actually think about it.

I've been rebuilding 1911s since I was a teenager, and I have never gotten as close to as frustrated as I do putting that fucking sear lever back in a Hi Power. I don't like that I short stroke the trigger a lot on follow up shots. It's just a training issue, but I can't think of another pistol I shoot that requires me to think about pulling the trigger differently. Feeling it differently, sure, but not to the point that I actually think about it.
You have a point on the trigger, lol.

I am right there with you. Love the BHP but they are a bitch to work on. Especially older models where the pins have cold welded to the frame.

Easier to start with a new clone for a custom build than try to salvage an old surplus gun.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/Tisas3 Add the beavertail and its about perfect.

DSCN1921.JPG

I seem to remember reading an old article in Guns and Ammo where Patrick Sweeney said the High Power was all the rage back in the early days of IPSC, late 70's or early 80's, until everyone realized they fell apart at 15k rounds, and other than that it's a gun you buy because you want one, not because it's objectively better at anything than most cheaper pistols.

Not sure where I was going with that, doesn't seem very pertinent to this thread now that I typed it all out...

I seem to remember reading an old article in Guns and Ammo where Patrick Sweeney said the High Power was all the rage back in the early days of IPSC, late 70's or early 80's, until everyone realized they fell apart at 15k rounds, and other than that it's a gun you buy because you want one, not because it's objectively better at anything than most cheaper pistols.

Not sure where I was going with that, doesn't seem very pertinent to this thread now that I typed it all out...
I am not a Hi Power expert, and I am going from memory here, but...

I think the issue was that running a lot of hot ammo, +p or otherwise, didn't do well for the gun, and they fell apart pretty quickly. But after they started making a 40, they beefed it up a bit, and just used the same frame for both guns, so it was no longer a problem. But they weren't built to have a ton of rounds put through them. They were built as a Euro service pistol when police and military didn't shoot a ton of pistol rounds.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Beretta 92 is better than the Hi Power. Fight me.

You'll have to taunt better than that.

I'm interested in this thing as a historical novelty, and not because I harbor disillusions that a 85-year-old design fabricated using affordable modern materials and processes will represent the end-all-be-all in performance and reliability.

Have one on order. I do not expect it to be a high round count gun for me. Worth the price of admission I think.

You'll have to taunt better than that.

I'm interested in this thing as a historical novelty, and not because I harbor disillusions that a 85-year-old design fabricated using affordable modern materials and processes will represent the end-all-be-all in performance and reliability.
Lol. I paid $870 for my SA-35 and have no regrets.

Mine is a 3 digit serial number. If I run into extraction issues, no worries. Not hard to fix.

You’ll like it.

Ever shoot a Mark23 in DA? Finger workout

Reactions: BytorJr
Ever since I was a kid, no other handgun that I've held, shot, or owned has fit me better ergonomically than the P-35. That's one thing that I can't overlook when considering the new SA-35

Ummm I bought a used one (SA 1911) and it shoots fine sooooo yea.

I am not a Hi Power expert, and I am going from memory here, but...

I think the issue was that running a lot of hot ammo, +p or otherwise, didn't do well for the gun, and they fell apart pretty quickly. But after they started making a 40, they beefed it up a bit, and just used the same frame for both guns, so it was no longer a problem. But they weren't built to have a ton of rounds put through them. They were built as a Euro service pistol when police and military didn't shoot a ton of pistol rounds.
Correct. The Brits just replaced their BHP with Glocks in the last 10 years. They ran them from 1954 to about 2014. Alot of those pistols were ran hard, put away wet.

Like any pistol, neglect maintenance such as spring replacement and it will dramatically lessen the lifespan of the gun.

Good enough for royalty as well:
f4f9f338c41eea1fce9061a435b49bbb.jpg