• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAC: Badger M2008 6.5 CM, Melnoite/Ion Bond

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters,

Just showing a few pictures of a recent build that we completed. This is a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Badger M2008. The M2008 was Ion Bonded and the barrel was Melonited. The Ion Bond is the slickest product I have used on actions to smooth them up, prevent corrosion and also darken. The problem is it is expensive. Melonite was chosen for the barrel to match up with the Ion Bond color wise, but also to add the benefits of the Melonite treatment.

For this build, we had the AICS opened up for a M2008, then it was refinished. GA Precision helped out with the stockwork. Next, we fitted our custom bolt handle block to the stock. As you can see all the mounting hardware are blind. This looks cleaner and works the best in my opinion.

Here are the specs.

Badger M2008 Action.
Completely Ion Bonded
AICS, opened up for Badger M2008 action.
Custom bolt handle block machined to stock, fitted for action.
Rock Creek M40 5R 6.5 barrel
Chambered to 6.5 Creedmoor
Cut to 25", crowned, threaded and fitted custom thread protector.
Barrel Melonited
X-Treme Shooting Products Mod-22 trigger installed.
Mini 6.5 CM chamber for reloading reference supplied.

Mark

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2938-Copy.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

Re: SAC: Badger M2008 6.5 CM, Melnoite/Ion Bond

very nice, Mark! Have any info on the "Ion bonding" that I can read up on?

Nice build!

What does the package weigh?

I wish Badger would take a pound out of that action, other than that, they sure look good!

Thanks.

Trash, through and through.

Send it to me for proper disposal. Don't forget to include any ammo you might have laying around for that clunker too...

Nice work as usual, Mark.

Beautiful! The M2008 action is nice.

Any reason you didn't ionbond the barrel after melonite?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason you didn't ionbond the barrel after melonite? </div></div>

To what benefit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason you didn't ionbond the barrel after melonite? </div></div>

To what benefit? </div></div>

Thats a good point!

I suppose it would give you a 100% match of finish between action/barrel, and, provide 100% protection from rust vs. only 98.5% with melonite only.

I haven't looked at the two coatings close enough to say for sure, but I know that nitriding is a salt bath type application and I think that ion bond is a vapor depazition coating. Normally I think you need bare metal to apply a vdc, atleast we do with the coatings I deal with at work. Therefore its an either or choice between these two coatings, not a both. Ion bond is what it sounds like, an ion bond with the metal, not a spray on and harden finish like a paint or ceramic coating. It bonds between the atoms of the metal increasing the matrix strength of the material. That's why it has such high hardness and wear protection.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLUHstud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't looked at the two coatings close enough to say for sure, but I know that nitriding is a salt bath type application and I think that ion bond is a vapor depazition coating. Normally I think you need bare metal to apply a vdc, atleast we do with the coatings I deal with at work. Therefore its an either or choice between these two coatings, not a both. Ion bond is what it sounds like, an ion bond with the metal, not a spray on and harden finish like a paint or ceramic coating. It bonds between the atoms of the metal increasing the matrix strength of the material. That's why it has such high hardness and wear protection.

Pat </div></div>

You are correct. The melonite (aka salt bath nitriding aka ferritic nitro-carburizing aka tenifer) process is usually performed in a salt bath. Ion Bond is in fact a PVD (physical vapor deposition) process. However, ion bond may be applied to surfaces that have been melonited.

Well cool learn something new about ion bond.

Pat

very nice.

does that badger action lock the bolt down when they safety is on, and how does it compare to the AI action? its the closest in resemblance that ive seen in a custom action.

I didn't have a chance to weight this one, but you can imagine its a little heavier than others.

The bolt does not lock down on this action when the safety is activated. This one uses an X-Treme Shooting Products trigger with standard safety.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason you didn't ionbond the barrel after melonite? </div></div>

Thats a good point!

I suppose it would give you a 100% match of finish between action/barrel, and, provide 100% protection from rust vs. only 98.5% with melonite only. </div></div>

Since the action and all the non CRES parts in the action are already Ion Bonded but the barrel is 416R and extremely corrosion resistant I still don't see the point; even if the barrel was simply left "white".

It could be that I am somewhat hard on my rifles and use them to shoot things a lot more than I clean them, but I still don't see the point of dropping another $150 to Ion Bond a barrel that starts as an extremely corrosion resistant material from the barrel maker.

Sometimes I really feel that guys here go overboard with stuff applying coatings and treatments looking to fix a problem that only exists on the internet.

Shooters, the owner sent me a quick picture of a 10 shot test target with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. 10 shots are right around .5 MOA.

Mark

photo.jpg

Not the least surprised!

Mark, that is a fine rifle and I hope I didn't come off as critical in my post about not Ion Bonding the barrel. Was only curious if their was rationale behind not doing so. I understand you are building custom rifles according to a customer's wants/desires/needs/budget, and many of the rifles you build are not a representation of the "ultimate and perfect" rifle in your minds eye. Rather, they are as ultimate and perfect as you can create them, limited by a customer's spec sheet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason you didn't ionbond the barrel after melonite? </div></div>

Thats a good point!

I suppose it would give you a 100% match of finish between action/barrel, and, provide 100% protection from rust vs. only 98.5% with melonite only. </div></div>

Since the action and all the non CRES parts in the action are already Ion Bonded but the barrel is 416R and extremely corrosion resistant I still don't see the point; even if the barrel was simply left "white".

It could be that I am somewhat hard on my rifles and use them to shoot things a lot more than I clean them, but I still don't see the point of dropping another $150 to Ion Bond a barrel that starts as an extremely corrosion resistant material from the barrel maker.

Sometimes I really feel that guys here go overboard with stuff applying coatings and treatments looking to fix a problem that only exists on the internet. </div></div>

Bohem:

First off, I agree that a 416SS barrel provides good corrosion resistance to begin with. Secondly, I agree that Melonite serves to nicely increase that corrosion resistance. Thirdly, I agree that many of the available coatings, processes and treatments seem to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

As an example, I have a good running Savage 10FP. It's been a great rifle. It reliably and repeatedly launches a 175SMK exactly where it is pointed. It was delivered with a surface treatment that has nearly zero corrosion resistance, so it had to be slathered in oil at all time to keep from rusting. So I gave it a nice heavy spray-down with black Zero-Rust. Problem solved! No more rust. When the paint chips or scratches, I spray it back down. I have "solved" the rust problem, and it has only cost me $5 so far. Whats the problem?

There isn't one. It's a factory Savage rifle.

However, if someone is going to build a sweet custom (insert product here), they commonly spend money on extra goodies and extras that aren't "really needed", but serve the purpose of making something a little finer, convenient or nicer, or more aesthetically pleasing.

Such is the case here.

A hunk of foam duct-taped to a stock to raise the comb is functional. A Karsten is functional, and more elegant. A KMW loggerhead is better yet. Like everything in this universe, there is Good, Better and Best. Better is a little better than Good, and costs a little more. Best is only a *little* better than better, but is much more costly.

Hope this helps explain my perspective.

The rifle weighs in at 20#s 1.5oz that is with a PH 3X15 in an Alfa mount.

I did not see the point to Ion Bond the barrel (they can not treat the bore). It will be shot out within a year if I’m lucky two. So I choose Melonite to help with barrel life.

Mark does some awesome work and would recommend him to anyone that is in the market for a build.

Mark,
Looking forward to getting my 7WSM, I know it will shoot as good as this one.

Great work as always Mark!

Looks similar to mine, haha.

Those rings are sweeeeet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not see the point to Ion Bond the barrel (they can not treat the bore). </div></div>

Mine were treated by IonBond and the entire barrel (exterior, crown, chamber and bore) are coated. While it might not serve much purpose to do the bore itself, it hasnt hurt anything for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dukedurham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What rings are those? Not seen them before. </div></div>

Gen 3 American Rifle Co rings.

I got a prototype set a couple months back, apparently they're starting to filter into dealers now.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...468#Post2675468

I just bought a set of arc gen 3 rings....

Freakin sweet!

How's that for an in depth review
smile.gif

Nice Rifle Mark!