• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

What is the maximum distance you have been able to detect with the Terrapin-X? Thanks

Around 1500 on a small steel plate (24”). Slightly farther on larger objects (big rocks, trees, buildings, etc). As a comparison, last weekend I was consistently ranging rocks (24” to 48” diameter) at 2700 with my original terrapin.

That’s my experience with the terrapin x that I had. I’ve seen others post ranges somewhat farther with theirs.

Reactions: triatleta
It's been a while since I have been around, Life takes over,

Anyways I was thinking of buying the T-X So how are you guys getting on with them a year down the track ??,

What are the maximum ranges you have managed to squeeze out of the T-X,

Thanks Guys.

So far i ranged to about 2800m ,in general im quite satisfied with the unit ,great optics and range but kinda slow and one button concept is definetly a not the best . Battery lasted less than expected but the energy drain is resoult of bluetooth running every time i use it. I kinda hope firmware gets updated sometime in the future .
Note that some of the new range finders might outrange T-X ranging rockfaces and stuff ,but for practical sized targets T-X outranges the competition.
For the cost of the unit you would expect at least a pouch instead you get a useless bag.

I 3d printed mysef a pair of lens covers for added protection , altough front lens is recesed deep i like to have ocular covered

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_145200.jpg
    IMG_20191116_145200.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20191116_145211.jpg
    IMG_20191116_145211.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
So far i ranged to about 2800m ,in general im quite satisfied with the unit ,great optics and range but kinda slow and one button concept is definetly a not the best . Battery lasted less than expected but the energy drain is resoult of bluetooth running every time i use it. I kinda hope firmware gets updated sometime in the future .
Note that some of the new range finders might outrange T-X ranging rockfaces and stuff ,but for practical sized targets T-X outranges the competition.
For the cost of the unit you would expect at least a pouch instead you get a useles bag.

I 3d printed mysef a pair of lens covers for added protection , altough front lens is recesed deep i like to have ocular covered
I’m waiting for a gen 2. They need to fix the button. There needs to be one to fire the laser and one for the menus. Also they need to be recessed to avoid pressing accidentally and yeah the tyr tactical pouch should come with it.

Reactions: MilDot1960
For the cost of the unit you would expect at least a pouch instead you get a useles bag.

Cool, It seems like they have "not" made it for military type ops with the visible laser and the One Click button and I found the Bluetooth increases the power consumption by about 3 or 4X with my other LRF so although they say it has low power BT they still use a fair bit of power,

I bought the Mystery Ranch Molle Pouch for my other LRF and Kestrel and never used it If I leave the Kestrel out It will fit the T-X like a Glove,

CAN you use it in Scan Mode and have it display compensated Range at the same time ??

Thanks for the up date,

Awesome
It looks great.
Care to share the STL file?
Would love to make one as well.
Myron

Will check where i have the STL , in any case i will redesign it for rund bunge cord as the flat one used is quite stiff

Older v.1 STL files link

Older v.1 STL files link

Thank you.
Myron

I didn’t read through all of this, has there been an update to ping the solution back into the display of the T-X?

Thanks.

Are you guys just throwing that little dump pouch away? I can’t even think of a reasonable use for it..

Guys this might be a dumb question but when you connect to your kestrel and range a high angled target. Your kestrel gives your dope for the ranged target but when you press the button again on the terrapin you get the range with the angle compensated but kestrel doesn’t catch that. It still gives you the dope without the angle. So am I misunderstanding things and is there a way to fix that

I was just jotting down the serial number of my TX and noted that the part number is 914561 though my invoice from Euro-Optic is for part #914734. The latter is also the part # that is used in the ads for the TX at both EO and MHS? Anybody else notice the same thing? Is mine the correct version of the TX?
Daved, did you ever find an answer to your question above? I just received my TX today from Kestrel Ballistics and the box and invoice show PN: 914734, but the TX itself shows PN:914561. The serial numbers between the two match, so I have to believe it isn't a problem. I did hear in an online video a while back as I was doing my research that there may have been a version '1' model and now they are selling version '2' models. The TX also show 'A001' next to the PN and SN. If you were ever able to find an answer I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

Anyone having issues connecting terrapin to kestrel? Everytime one of them turns off I have to triple tap the terrapin button and reconnect to kestrel. And sometimes it doesn’t send the range to the kestrel. Don’t have any issues with my sig3000 and kestrel

Anyone having issues connecting terrapin to kestrel? Everytime one of them turns off I have to triple tap the terrapin button and reconnect to kestrel. And sometimes it doesn’t send the range to the kestrel. Don’t have any issues with my sig3000 and kestrel
Kestrel has a thread seeking people’s feedback on this

Reactions: Curahee19
Daved, did you ever find an answer to your question above? I just received my TX today from Kestrel Ballistics and the box and invoice show PN: 914734, but the TX itself shows PN:914561. The serial numbers between the two match, so I have to believe it isn't a problem. I did hear in an online video a while back as I was doing my research that there may have been a version '1' model and now they are selling version '2' models. The TX also show 'A001' next to the PN and SN. If you were ever able to find an answer I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure I contacted EO for an explanation. I don't recall what it was but I know I didn't swap out the unit so it must have been a simple one. Kestrel can probably clarity the matter on yours.

Thank you, Daved. I appreciate your response. I also received the following response from Safran Vectronix today, which should explain everything and be helpful to any others who might notice this discrepancy. This also addresses why my TX didn't include the cloth bag and why I couldn't register the device in the IOS application. Very helpful indeed!

<From the vendor>
Regarding your device and the part numbers:

· 914734 is the part number of the TERRAPIN X in its retail packaging including the whole scope of delivery
· 914561 is the part number of the TERRAPIN X itself (without scope of delivery, packaging, etc.)

The hardware of the TERRAPIN X is the same independent of the manufacturing date. The serial number of your TERRAPIN X tells me that it was built very recently. This also explains why in your packaging the dump bag was not included anymore. We took this accessory out of the scope of delivery a short while ago as it turned out that a dump bag was not the best chosen piece of accessory for a device like the TERRAPIN X.

We also checked why you weren’t able to register your device in the IOS app. In one of the latest shipments to the US the automatic transfer of the serial numbers from our ERP system did not work properly and your device was part of this shipment. Therefore a registration of the device not possible. We have now included your serial number to the database of shipped devices. The registration should work now.

Of course I have the Kestrel 5500 which won't connect.

But I absolutely HATE the Garmin Solar. Whoever made the user interface?
I wish I had never bought it, and it cost a fortune for what it is. About as much as the Terrapin X in fact.

The Terrapin X does its job as a LRF, but the apps and sync to Google earth leaves a few things to be improved.
The distances are correct, but not the GPS data. I guess that is Apples fault.

Loved the Terrapin but the connectivity issues and how I can use it with Garmin sutff leaves quite a lot to wish for, not in love anymore.

The learning curve is just way beyond what I'm prepared for.

The one button solution...just learning and remembering what "fast" is when you have to push "fast" three times.

I have to say I was very surprised with how small and light the Terrapin was.

I also just connected the Terrapin to my iPhone's StrelokPro, and just had it say the distances out loud. Or in MOA or MRAD. Pretty cool.

My furthest reading is beyond 2800 meters. Weather has been pretty bad and low light and I'm a bit disappointed in the number of readings that I don't get.

Last edited:
Anyone used there’s much during the winter. Specifically over snow? Was there much divergence in abilities to get ranges?
Thanks.

I've used mine with snow on the ground & while snowing. Got great returns when it wasn't snowing. While snowing it wasn't much better than my Kilo2500. Readings were dependent on how hard it was snowing. Usually 30-35yds irregardless of anything else.
My Bushnell binos work much better in rain & snow.

Reactions: Rexwagon
Anyone used there’s much during the winter. Specifically over snow? Was there much divergence in abilities to get ranges?
Thanks.

If there is too much "stuff" (snow) in your way you won't get accurate readings.

I was in a snow storm, could see perhaps 50-60 yards - only makes sense it didn't work to laser anything far.

Reactions: Rexwagon
Thanks for the replies. I understand the snow flakes will cause all kinds of false readings, etc. my current hand held range finder from sig is straight garbage in the winter. As soon as there is a layer of snow on the ground. It has a very hard time picking up anything over 150 yards. The bright reflection is diluting the beam or bouncing it somewhere else. I’m not a scientist.
But I’m very interested if the terrapin could still hold at least half of its power and distance while ranging a target over the top of snow on the ground.