• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

Excellent response from Vectronix. Since you spoke to CS, did you learn anything from them as to setup or usage?
The terrapin should function without turning on or off the BT to save battery. The unit should connect, range, then sleep till the next press of the rangeing button which wakes the BT connection again.
It needs the latest update in the kestrel and the latest update for the Terrapin. There have been issues when either a kestrel or the terrapin have not had the latest updates which causes the two units not to connect. Not the issue I have☹ but a new one on the way.
There should not be heavy battery drain even using connected to the Kestrel.

These are all reasons why you never buy the first model/version of anything!

Sounds like they need as much work on the software and power management side, as they have invested in the range finding side.

Sure they will eventually figure it all out, and hopefully it will just be a matter of software upgrades.

Thanks to the first time users for being the Guinea Pigs!

After my last post and question posed to you regarding info from CS I did re-read the MANUAL!

Well, I was wrong!

You/they are correct! I was not giving the X unit enough time to go to sleep and hence was turning the BT on and off as I posted previously in this thread.

Prior to reading your latest CS info I went through the entire process again and found that the correct way to use it is to leave desired BT connection on to Kestrel and after completing a range measurement 1X, my X does go to sleep in exactly 3 minutes and is no longer searching for the Kestrel = no longer a drain on the battery.

Vectronix did get it right the first time out, both in ranging and software.

Additionally, I went out yesterday afternoon and filled one of my 11 tags for this Fall/Winter and used the X. Glass is excellent as I watched the whitetails sneak out of the river bottom. The unit ranged deer easily 300-800 yds. As I readied for a 750 yard doe (instant BT to the 5700 was great) a nice single came out just under 300 yards, so I sent one her way - resulting in some tender venison for our table.

9079B7FE-1686-41A9-9BEF-FF1D477C0DD1.jpeg

I'll share my very limited experience so far. I purchased the T-X last Wednesday from EuroOptic. It was in my hands the next day. I was impressed with how quickly it came back with ranges and how accurate it seemed to be. I've previously had a Bushnell CONX and a Sig Kilo 2200. Glass is crystal clear and the 8x mag is great. The T-X vastly out performs both. My brother is borrowing my Kestrel, so I haven't had a chance to connect it to it yet.

The only problem I ran into so far is that it would not register through the app. I contacted EuroOptic and spoke with Ari and explained the problem. Ari immediately contacted the Safran/Vectronix rep and cc'd me in the email chain. I provided them with my serial number and they informed me that the serial number had some sort of cryptic problem and they were unable to fix it through their end, so EuroOptic immediately sent me out a new one with a return label for the first one. Another one day turn around and I had the new one in hand and it registered through the app right away. I Sent the first one back to EuroOptic. I'm very pleased with the unit and even more so with how EuroOptic and Ari handled the whole thing. Very fast response times and turn around times for everything.

My question is how hard is it to use with your Kestrel Elite to get readings on say 5 targets in a stage over a 45 degree field of fire? Is it easy to hit the 5 targets and get the readings in the kestrel with the different wind values?

Very easy in A,B,C....modes. A mode laze, switch B mode laze, etc. each time distance and heading are loaded in. Then you just scroll between modes, A, B, C, etc. everything is in your kestrel. Elev and Wind for each target.

Reactions: superde
Small update. I went to my brothers place this last weekend and set the T-X on a tripod and started ranging. I first tested the beam alignment on a telephone pole at around 150 yards. The beam was pretty much dead center of the reticle. The app is pretty neat because you can set the T-X on a tripod, aim at what you want to range and without touching the T-X hit "Measure now" and it will range the target for you without having any outside interference of you holding the unit. I also connected it to my Kestrel and it sends the range to the Kestrel pretty fast. I did notice on mine and I don't know if others can confirm. When I range while connected to the Kestrel, the T-X will say 650.2 yards (for example), but when it gets sent to the Kestrel the Kestrel reads 651 yards. Every time I did it, it would round up to the next whole number. Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Other than that I was ranging cattle at around 900 yards pretty easily with returns that were way faster than my previous two RF's. I could hit tree tops at around 2K yards and every now and then it would get a range on trees between 2500 yards and 3K. I will try and get to a place to range smaller targets at longer distances. I'm very pleased with the T-X so far.

Took my T-X down to the river and was very pleased with the results. I started off ranging buildings across from me and most were around 2000 yards. I hit a street sign over the highway across the river at around 2600 yards. Most of the further points that i tried to range were to far. I later checked them on Google maps and found them to be well over two miles. What was most impressive was when I ranged the channel markers and buoys. I was able to range the farthest one that I could see at 3165 yards! I was able to hit this repeatedly and got the same results. I checked that distance on google maps and found that both were within a yard of each other at that distance. I was also able to range smaller things like markers for what appeared to be crab pots at 1500 yards. Also ranged a speed boat going by at around 500 yards and was able to track it the whole time. Im throughly impressed and very pleased with the T-X.

Reactions: Stag556
This isn't 100% exclusive to the Terrapin X, although it is the only LRF I'm considering when I upgrade, but how would a TX or any LRF for that matter work on a RRS tripod with a Anvil 3- ball head? I saw a few posts ago where they made an ARCA plate for the TX, but where the Anvil 30 is set up for much heavier equipment would it be smooth with something as small as the TX?

Both the Terrapin and the RRS tripod are on my list of gear to acquire, and I want to make sure they work well together. Ideally I'd love to have just the one tripod for the TX, Binos, and rifle of course.

I use the Terrapin X on a RRS tripod w/ the anvil 30 and I have zero issues with it.

Awesome. I know next to nothing about tripods so that probably seemed like a stupid question to most folks. In my head a ball head designed for a full sized tactical rifle would have to be pretty rigid and would be rough with a sub 1 lb. LRF.

I see this Terrapin banner across the top of my screen all the time. I am wondering, is he sniffing it because of some special aromatic coating or maybe because of where has that Terrapin has recently been located?

Reactions: tnichols
Awesome. I know next to nothing about tripods so that probably seemed like a stupid question to most folks. In my head a ball head designed for a full sized tactical rifle would have to be pretty rigid and would be rough with a sub 1 lb. LRF.
You can adjust the tension on the anvil 30 if desired. The way it is setup at the factory works fine for me. Actually, regardless of the head used I rely on slight pressure applied to a CF tripod for perfect reticle alignment to target.

Reactions: OzzyO20
I find cowitnessing mine with a pair of binos works really well. Scan with binos then pop over to the terrapin and press a button.

Attachments

• 55FAF374-5161-4A1C-900F-F6654F937A10.jpeg
    55FAF374-5161-4A1C-900F-F6654F937A10.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 9D30B38A-D17A-4D95-88E7-D62D785D5F27.jpeg
    9D30B38A-D17A-4D95-88E7-D62D785D5F27.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 120
Very easy in A,B,C....modes. A mode laze, switch B mode laze, etc. each time distance and heading are loaded in. Then you just scroll between modes, A, B, C, etc. everything is in your kestrel. Elev and Wind for each target.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest features. I sold my PLRF10 for the X and thus far I am satisfied. The connectivity to my kestrel and ability to input multiple targets is outstanding.

Does anyone know if the Terrapin X will bluetooth with the Geo Ballistics Arc app?

Has anyone found a good protective case for the unit yet?

This might be a stupid question, but is there any way to mount a pvs 14 behind the rangefinder for NV use? If so does anyone make the mount?

I dont think the lighting in Terrapin X is NV compatible , so not much use for inline mount but cowitnesed mount could work.

Last edited:
Has there been a software update yet?

For safe protection or throwing it in a pack I use the small Larue padded scope case. Perfect fit, very durable and well padded.

Mystery Ranch as stated above great.

My talented wife built a nicely padded case using one of my KUIU pouches adding 1/2 foam between layers of the original KUIU and black gortex inside and out.
BC13D751-C498-41D9-A2C9-52B6A90DC53C.jpeg
23286917-2F23-491E-AC8A-A4ADBFE15C54.jpeg

So I used the Terrapin at the PPRC (Practical Precision Rifle Challenge) PRS match this past weekend. The match was made up of multiple blind stages that called for ranging targets and engaging them all on the clock. Paired with the kestrel, it worked flawlessly.

I ranged each target, created a target card in the kestrel as I went to each target and the kestrel then listed the dope for each in a column. Saved a ton of time and got me solid impacts. The Terrapin is a solid piece of equipment. The match was pretty rainy which kept the terrapin pretty wet most of the day and it didn’t skip a beat.

I wonder if their NVG pouch is similar to the old LRF pouch, because I have one of them.

Took my T-X down to the river and tried my best to get a photo. I don't know how you guys do it with holding it steady and getting a good photo. I couldn't even get one with the red digital display. I was able to use the app and do it that way so it kinda worked. Any advice on how to take better pictures with it would be greatly appreciated. Heres the picture of a yellow buoy/channel marker at 3145 yards. I had to switch positions due to the last place being closed off.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_6e0.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6e0.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 85
Just hold your phone/camera behind it or is there some sort of mount i should try using? Also, how are you getting the red digital display to appear? i could not for the life on me get it to show up in any of the pictures I took, thats why I had to use the app.

It’s hard to get a pic of the terrapin x display. Im not sure what the proper term is, but it’s similar to taking a photo of your tv screen and seeing lines. The way the info displays digitally and the way your camera captures it don’t mesh very well. You might try taking a short video then doing a screen shot when the display is visible.

Reactions: pell1203
I've still got the old model terrapin and kestrel so I'm a bit behind on the times.

Can someone explain this "A,B,C" ranging with the terrapin x and the kestrel for ranging and getting data on multiple targets?

The X seems ok so far in comparison to the original. I do really like the convenience of it communicating with the kestrel but I am going to miss not having the multiple range function in the new model. Maybe this is something they can add through a firmware update?

Anyone compare the X laser to the Nikon 4K laser?
Can’t find any beam divergence information on the Nikon 4K.

I did find out that the Sig Kilo3000 has a 0.3mrad divergence. But no range reports yet.

If it came down to it, you had to choose between the X & 2700b, which one would you choose? I don’t care about Kestrel connectivity. I just want a laser that is accurate for the price point between the two devices.

Last edited:
Anyone compare the X laser to the Nikon 4K laser?
Can’t find any beam divergence information on the Nikon 4K.

I did find out that the Sig Kilo3000 has a 0.3mrad divergence. But no range reports yet.

If it came down to it, you had to choose between the X & 2700b, which one would you choose? I don’t care about Kestrel connectivity. I just want a laser that is accurate for the price point between the two devices.

Lowlight wrote​

''What I have found the biggest difference to be using all these lasers is the actual target.

We can hit big stuff like a house or vehicle and most will give you a reading. But once you go to an actual target, the field narrows rather quickly. I was using the Nikon Black 4K last week and unit will hit rocks and the side of a hill at 2000 yards, depending on the light, but it won't hit a target. I found it stopped hitting actual targets around 1200 yards in most cases.

The Sig Kilo2400AB will get targets to 1 mile but they have to be reflective. None reflective targets hover around 1500. The reticle, the doughnut is just too large and on top of that, you have to determine where in that circle is actually sending the beam. Which is why, when you range stuff like a house it works greats, but you end up missing small targets.

The Terrapin will get targets to about 2400m, after that it will hit houses and whatnot farther.
Just hitting a house really far away does not tell the story, we shoot targets, not houses and cars, and billboards.
We need a standard like an IPSC target, Vectronix stated this, a 2m plate at 2000m is the spec.''​

Anyone know for sure what orientation the laser box is? I know it's 1.2x.5 mil. But which is vertical vs horizontal? I'm trying to bracket the reticle & I think its long side is horizontal. Just not sure. This was my 2nd outing with it.
Thanks.

Never mind. I was able to get it worked out. It is definitely a horizontal rectangle. Mine is centered just a bit to the right of the reticle circle but centered perfectly vertically.

Reactions: plidenbrock
What is the maximum distance you have been able to detect with the Terrapin-X? Thanks