• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

No offense taken.
I have a PLRF15C and it's amazing. I don't like to think about what happens if it goes tits up. When I bought it (used), I justified the cost by telling myself it should last at least a decade. Now I'm afraid to take it out for fear it gets dropped.
Well I know it can be a bit of a pain but why don't you tether it on some para cord, One thing to note is that most Items for the Military are drop testing and rated for a meter to 2 and then 3 meters depending on the Item, So I would look it up,

I found a few specs on LRFs that the Military use from the Bushnells right up to the Vectronix, I will have a look and see if I can find them,

hope that helps,

John.

WARNING Just as a side Note ? I found a post today else where stating that due to a lot of these things going missing from the Military that since 2009 NCIS and the FBI have been keeping a close watch on this forum and many others regarding the discussions and (Selling ) sales of such items, So if people are buying these things from here or ebay etc then make sure you are not buying government property.

John.

Last edited:
This is real exciting. I hope more details come out soon especially with what other items it will be able to connect to.

WARNING Just as a side Note ? I found a post today else where stating that due to a lot of these things going missing from the Military that since 2009 NCIS and the FBI have been keeping a close watch on this forum and many others regarding the discussions and (Selling ) sales of such items, So if people are buying these things from here or ebay etc then make sure you are not buying government property.

John.

Yes they are so worried about people buying range finders that there are 17 dead kids in
Florida because of it!!! Maybe they should stay off the hide and actually do their job before more kids get killed due to their negligence.

Yes they are so worried about people buying range finders that there are 17 dead kids in
Florida because of it!!! Maybe they should stay off the hide and actually do their job before more kids get killed due to their negligence.
Yep, But I was quite surprized to see this place on their list and the fact that this place was actually named.

Exactly ,,,,,

Are we talking about the new Terripan X or this crap? What are peoples thought comparing this unit to the sig kilo 2400?

Mil-Dot stop posting this crap in this thread and start your own about this paranoid shit.

Are you from England? Are the same goof ball posting how you thought the Bushnell Conx was better than the Kilo 2400 because thats all you were able to get your hands on across the pond? If not, my apologies. If you have anything to add about the X here we're all ears?

I'm really interested in this. Any idea if this will have the non-illuminated reticle like the previous ones?

Reactions: CavReconScout
I'm really interested in this. Any idea if this will have the non-illuminated reticle like the previous ones?
It has a illuminated it looks like.

Attachments

• 1519616950576.png
    1519616950576.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
Reactions: MilDot1960
Are we talking about the new Terripan X or this crap? What are peoples thought comparing this unit to the sig kilo 2400?

Mil-Dot stop posting this crap in this thread and start your own about this paranoid shit.
He’s not completely paranoid. The info he received is old but here is the NCIS document

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1695662/ncis-intel-report.pdf

It does specifically mention this sight in it (second paragraph under Introduction header). But like I said, it’s an old doc, about 4 years now. Not sure if it’s still an active investigation.

Reactions: MilDot1960
Are you from England? Are the same goof ball posting how you thought the Bushnell Conx was better than the Kilo 2400 because thats all you were able to get your hands on across the pond? If not, my apologies. If you have anything to add about the X here we're all ears?
Ian I have removed my post seeing as you found it offensive, Sorry about That.

All you had to do was ask, Not a problem,

And where I am from or live has no reflection on the type of LRF I choose, I bought it because of the options it has and did not want to buy/support a company with the worst customer services in the history of LRFs, "YES" I could of bought the Sig but I chose the one I have from an engineering point of view and not to buy something that will compensate for my manhood. If you need the Sig that's ok Buddy we understand, Your amongst friends here,,, Does somebody need a Hug, :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

In the download of the specs of the Terrapin X they state that it's accuracy @

To 2m between 2m to 1k
To 3m from 1k to 2k
and 5m from 2k and beyond.

And the Beam Divergence of 1.2 x 0.5 which is pretty good seeing as they are using a 905nm Laser.
with an Inclination of only 60*

The Data sheet is at the bottom of the page,
https://www.terrapin-x.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkphage
Tac-dillhole- I Don't know why anyone in this thread would care about anyone selling stole US Gov. property, we're talking about the new Terrapin here. Not paranoid delusions. No one here is talking about buying/selling old units.

I want to know about the new unit, isn't that what this thread is about?

I'll take a hug, if you can keep this thread on track. Instead of derailing it into the weeds and don't bring up the CONX either unless you have the new terrapin in hand comparing the two!

and don't bring up the CONX either unless you have the new terrapin in hand comparing the two!

I didn't mention it you did ? And if it all the same to you I will decide "If" I need to mention any other gizmo purely as a point of reference.

I watched a video tonight on the old terrapin on coyotes in the snow and they were getting 1660 yds +/- in the snow, So I am hoping this new version can match that even though it uses 905 laser.

One thing I have noticed with this new one is that the lenses are laid back where the casing protrudes past them, I wonder if that was done to help shield them from external light from blooming on the lenses or to protect them in some way ?

I saw that, I wonder if you will be able to turn it on/off? Either way it looks like a really good unit.
I'm not sure. For some reason i dont feel that it can be turned off but we'll have to just wait and see unless someone has some on hand experince already.

I didn't mention it you did ? And if it all the same to you I will decide "If" I need to mention any other gizmo purely as a point of reference.

I watched a video tonight on the old terrapin on coyotes in the snow and they were getting 1660 yds +/- in the snow, So I am hoping this new version can match that even though it uses 905 laser.

One thing I have noticed with this new one is that the lenses are laid back where the casing protrudes past them, I wonder if that was done to help shield them from external light from blooming on the lenses or to protect them in some way ?
Using the 905nm diode has nothing to do with beam divergence or how far it can range. The 1550nm is not “stronger” or have the ability to be a smaller divergence - it provides a nm wavelength differential that cannot be detected by night vision.

I just sold a PLRF10 and had a 15 prior to that, the 10 runs a 905nm; the 15 a 1550nm diode to keep the bad guys from seeing you lase them with NV. The PLRF10 has a tighter beam than the PLRF15 and easily ranges to 3k.

There is a difference between diode quality, glass, algorithms and technology that determine beam divergence as well as distance that a given rangefinder can render. That is what determines the amount of $$ that will set you back. Buy what you want, but you have to pay more for the big V8 vs the 4 cylinder putt putt.

http://www.scoutbasecamp.com/pdfs/c...tronix_901762_laser_rangefinder_datasheet.pdf

Using the 905nm diode has nothing to do with beam divergence or how far it can range. The 1550nm is not “stronger” or have the ability to be a smaller divergence - it provides a nm wavelength differential that cannot be detected by night vision.

I just sold a PLRF10 and had a 15 prior to that, the 10 runs a 905nm; the 15 a 1550nm diode to keep the bad guys from seeing you lase them with NV. The PLRF10 has a tighter beam than the PLRF15 and easily ranges to 3k.

There is a difference between diode quality, glass, algorithms and technology that determine beam divergence as well as distance that a given rangefinder can render. That is what determines the amount of $$ that will set you back. Buy what you want, but you have to pay more for the big V8 vs the 4 cylinder putt putt.

http://www.scoutbasecamp.com/pdfs/c...tronix_901762_laser_rangefinder_datasheet.pdf
Yeah mate I realize that it is the class of laser that gives it the horsepower, I just wish they would put the 1550 in it,

So what are you going to replace them with, after having them you are running out of choices, ?

If it would work I would. Animated avatars don’t work on this site.
I might have missed ths but is your new avatar a signal of dire distress/danger? 2A rights?

I was thinking of painting one of my chassis like that, but can’t pull it off.. might still do a flag (have a 22LR as a flag), but can’t get to look correct upside down.

Reactions: _Windrider_
I don’t think you read my thread.
Yeah I did that's why I clicked the Like button, It's just that I forgot about the classes of lasers too,

You make a lot of sense, there is so much more involved than most folks think in order to get them to reach them distances, The Terrapin and the PLRF's have been the benchmark for quite a few years now and all the other companies have just started to play catch up which is way overdue.

I have spoken to them several times since this announcement, including yesterday

They are doing some good stuff with it, I think it will be a good unit
Frank are you getting hold of one before it's release to review or have you got to wait as well, ?

John.

soon, not 100% sure of the timing but we should be just before if not close to the same time

timelines are a bit tough to say right now
Oh well fingers crossed, I hope so, I do like a good optic review.

Be aware that they showed up to fuck up anyone who bought brand new vectronix units with a proof of purchase. Their premise was that any ownership of a Vectronix laser could only stem from theft.

I think they just wanted an excuse to fuck with legit shooters as part of the “fuck armed civilians” parade.

Tac-dillhole- I Don't know why anyone in this thread would care about anyone selling stole US Gov. property, we're talking about the new Terrapin here. Not paranoid delusions. No one here is talking about buying/selling old units.

I want to know about the new unit, isn't that what this thread is about?

I'll take a hug, if you can keep this thread on track. Instead of derailing it into the weeds and don't bring up the CONX either unless you have the new terrapin in hand comparing the two!

I am most interested in that fact it has similar display appearance to the Leica 2700B and identical beam divergence. And similar performance on the surface.

Reactions: solvovir
Be aware that they showed up to fuck up anyone who bought brand new vectronix units with a proof of purchase. Their premise was that any ownership of a Vectronix laser could only stem from theft.

I think they just wanted an excuse to fuck with legit shooters as part of the “fuck armed civilians” parade.
Do they think that people can't afford such things ?

John.

You can use FiFY in response to that if you help me finish moving to Montana lol. Then it’ll be fixed - as it is Colorado is very “high capacity”. Asshole liberal dbags.
That’s right, just skip right over Wyoming, we are full up here and traffic is INSANE!!! DO NOT MOVE HERE! We hate guns and all our big game is dead!!!

I had a funny feeling a few weeks back when I saw lots of older units being offloaded. So glad I listened to everyone who encouraged me to wait till after SHOT. Pending Franks review, this looks like a home run for LRFs.

Guys,

Sorry for the lack of info - cat is finally jumping out of the bag now - we can finally talk about it - will have more details soon, but for now, here is the link to pre-order:

TERRAPIN-X

Thanks!

jason

Guessing this is made in Poland, and is essentially an up-gunned Leica2700B with bluetooth?

Guessing this is made in Poland, and is essentially an up-gunned Leica2700B with bluetooth?

Guessing you meant Portugal? - Indeed, and here is their statement on that to keep everything transparent:

“The Terrapin X was developed by Safran Vectronix in Switzerland to the same high standards as all our battlefield proven range finders. The goal was clear from the beginning: to offer the serious long range shooter and long range hunter the best compact laser range finder on the market at a retail price below 2.000 USD. In order to achieve this we teamed up with Leica Sports Optics, benefiting from Leica’s manufacturing capabilities and from the use of selected common standard components without compromising the DNA of Safran Vectronix in any way. Distinctive differences in vital hardware components and in the implemented software culminate in the most reliable and longest ranging eye safe laser range finder commercially available: the Safran Vectronix Terrapin X.”

Sorry - yes - Portugal.

I'm interested in seeing someone do a SxS review of this and the leica. If its a lot better, its a lot better.

Guessing you meant Portugal? - Indeed, and here is their statement on that to keep everything transparent:

“The Terrapin X was developed by Safran Vectronix in Switzerland to the same high standards as all our battlefield proven range finders. The goal was clear from the beginning: to offer the serious long range shooter and long range hunter the best compact laser range finder on the market at a retail price below 2.000 USD. In order to achieve this we teamed up with Leica Sports Optics, benefiting from Leica’s manufacturing capabilities and from the use of selected common standard components without compromising the DNA of Safran Vectronix in any way. Distinctive differences in vital hardware components and in the implemented software culminate in the most reliable and longest ranging eye safe laser range finder commercially available: the Safran Vectronix Terrapin X.”
That's not quite correct, The Bluetooth tech linking it to the kestrel is a direct copy of what Bushnell did in late 2015/16, It is my guess that things are going to get messy, lol.

I think they are differentiating against the Leica MD, not against the market.

And,l to be frank, I would consider a $1800 laser that did bluetooth great, had a compass, and did 3km reliably would win the battle of the rangefinders.