• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

If this thing is equivalent in ranging ability to the original Terrapin, it will be a huge hit. Bluetooth linking to Kestrel is nice, but I just want a rangefinder that can actually range like the old Terrapin, without having to buy one of the higher end Vectronix units.

Hehe - here is an idea - imagine if THIS was a quote from Vectronix:

"The new Terrapin X has a 5 year transferable warranty. To better serve the US market, customers with any hardware issues will be serviced by Leica Sports Optics"

DING....FRIES...ARE....DONE. If they did that, maybe we could start to trust again.

Reactions: dirthead1
I agree with the warranty comment. Has anything been published regarding warranty on the Terrapin-x? I don't remember seeing anything in the original press release. Regardless, I'm buying one. I'll be a guinea pig for this. I've tried a lot of rangefinders over the last couple of years, only to be left unsatisfied on our long range steel days in the high desert. I really regret selling my Terrapin. The cool thing about the Terrapin was that it over performed in relation to it's published capability (by a long shot). Nothing else I've tried has come close to the Terrapin, or even their own published specs on a consistent basis. My fingers are crossed that the Terrapin-x will live up to it's predecessor, and maybe be even better with a faster response time, scan mode, bluetooth, etc. Hopefully Frank can get his hands on one and post some results before they are fully released to the public.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
If a company that makes an outdoors grade laser rangefinder is going to start losing money hand over fist by bumping a warranty to 5 years from 1 year, I would be HIGHLY concerned with trusting the product.

Reactions: Maelstrom
Yeah, this is pretty exciting, even if I will never be able to afford this. The 2700 has been a really solid RF so far for me. If Vetronix is taking RF performance a step further, plus adding blue tooth to a Kestrel? That's what I was telling a few manu's including Sig was needed. I still wish it would push the shoot to back to the RF so you don't even need to look at the Kestrel...could even set the Kestrel up remote to catch the best wind readings and then read off the RF...but this looks like it may be the best solution out there....at least potentially. But I can't see how they could mess this up...two great RF engines working together...tying to the leading wind meter with the leading ballistic solver. Top drawer all round.

I just wonder why Leica would go this route, as it takes their tech, steps it up, and then bundles it with the best ballistic solution out there. Only thing I can think is that Leica decided that they did not want to target this price tier in an Rf only (no binos) solution. On the other hand, maybe the next gen of RF's will take what they learn here and feed it back into their own line with the smaller form factor.

Yeah, this is pretty exciting, even if I will never be able to afford this. The 2700 has been a really solid RF so far for me. If Vetronix is taking RF performance a step further, plus adding blue tooth to a Kestrel? That's what I was telling a few manu's including Sig was needed. I still wish it would push the shoot to back to the RF so you don't even need to look at the Kestrel...could even set the Kestrel up remote to catch the best wind readings and then read off the RF...but this looks like it may be the best solution out there....at least potentially. But I can't see how they could mess this up...two great RF engines working together...tying to the leading wind meter with the leading ballistic solver. Top drawer all round.

I just wonder why Leica would go this route, as it takes their tech, steps it up, and then bundles it with the best ballistic solution out there. Only thing I can think is that Leica decided that they did not want to target this price tier in an Rf only (no binos) solution. On the other hand, maybe the next gen of RF's will take what they learn here and feed it back into their own line with the smaller form factor.
Bushnell already added the push data to theirs but they did not allow for the wind, It will send the range and angle to the kestrel and the solution is displayed in the RF and the Kestrel.

Bushnell already added the push data to theirs but they did not allow for the wind, It will send the range and angle to the kestrel and the solution is displayed in the RF and the Kestrel.
Yes, I noted that when I checked those out, so it is clear that it can certainly be done. Would love to see this same process, but with the wind, in the Vectronix, or better for me, in something the form factor of the Leica or Sig. Nonetheless, the Vectronix appears, to me, to be the best implemented solution so far. And also so far out of my price range!

Reactions: MilDot1960
Yes, I noted that when I checked those out, so it is clear that it can certainly be done. Would love to see this same process, but with the wind, in the Vectronix, or better for me, in something the form factor of the Leica or Sig. Nonetheless, the Vectronix appears, to me, to be the best implemented solution so far. And also so far out of my price range!
Yeah it's a great unit for sure, I would be happy if it just had LOS and Degrees and the adjusted distance,

Money no object I would buy the ConX and the Terrapin X and the Vector 23 just because they are all 1st class LRF's in their class.

OK, guys - got the warranty verbiage, hot off the press - see below:

Warranty

When you buy the TERRAPIN X you will get the standard warranty of 1 year (USA) or 2 years (EU). By registering for the TERRAPIN X mobile app, your warranty will be extended to lifetime for optics and to 3 years for electronics (excluding misuse). The registration must occur within 90 days after purchase.

***Also, warranty is transferable

TERRAPIN-X LINK

Last edited:
Jason I assume this gets grouped into the electronics portion, so three years with registration?

Very interesting. I'm curious to see if or how much of the functionality Blaine over at Lextalus will be able to integrate into Delta V. That integration is why I bought my PLRF-15C in the first place.

OK, guys - got the warranty verbiage, hot off the press - see below:

Warranty

When you buy the TERRAPIN X you will get the standard warranty of 1 year (USA) or 2 years (EU). By registering for the TERRAPIN X mobile app, your warranty will be extended to lifetime for optics and to 3 years for electronics (excluding misuse). The registration must occur within 90 days after purchase.

***Also, warranty is transferable

TERRAPIN-X LINK
Jason, What does registering for the Terrapin X mobile app actually consist of ? Jeff

Last edited:
We'll see how the first few warranty returns are handled before I risk investing that kind of money in them again.

Sounds like a snooze to me, times have changed and there are other options available now.

We have established that there is a short warranty. Until we have confirmed that our warranty claims are actually handled, I won't be giving them any of my money.

Wow this seems like an excellent range finder, although people mentioning issues with warranty and repairs makes me a bit nervous.

Looks like a cloudy sky in Nevada, 3072 meters. Impressive! And 2615 in a city under what looks like fairly sunny conditions. That's pretty awesome. Cool that they even included those notes where they were unable to get a read.

Looks like a cloudy sky in Nevada, 3072 meters. Impressive! And 2615 in a city under what looks like fairly sunny conditions. That's pretty awesome. Cool that they even included those notes where they were unable to get a read.

Squiggly lines with a red pen over images doesn't do much for me.

Reactions: LastShot300
It would be interesting to compare it with Leica CRF 2700
Yeah, I have a 2700, but conditions are so important, it would be hard to draw conclusions unless you had both RF's together at the same time.
I will say that I have never hit 3072, even in yards, on my 2700. That said, I have not yet had the opportunity to range a rock wall like that in those conditions at that distance. Ditto on the city shots. Nor do I have a tripod mount, my tests have all been hand held. I'd love to see them tested side by side under equal conditions for no other reason than curiosity. My bet would be on the Vectronix.

Guys a Sig 2400 will probable do 3000 yards of a reflective rock face. My Sig Kilo 2000 will go over 2000 yards on a flat rock face. Be causious with this untill they actuall hit the market. I'm sure it will be a solid rangefinder, but I'm gonna wait till the verdicts out.

From what I have been told there is a threaded bottom. I don't think there is a data port since it is designed to connect via BT to its mobile app

Well at least they were paying attention.

But from the bluetooth, it only comms to its proprietary software? Was trying to figure out if this could mate with a Trimble and FFS so I'm not lugging a PLRF15C around everywhere. If it could via the bluetooth somehow (Kestrel does) then I'd grab one of these over the SIG Kilo as the rangefinder that lives in my ruck.

Well at least they were paying attention.

But from the bluetooth, it only comms to its proprietary software? Was trying to figure out if this could mate with a Trimble and FFS so I'm not lugging a PLRF15C around everywhere. If it could via the bluetooth somehow (Kestrel does) then I'd grab one of these over the SIG Kilo as the rangefinder that lives in my ruck.

They haven’t really provided details on the app, at least from what I’ve seen. I am hanging on until they release more details. I wouldn’t count on Kestrel but who knows

Thing for me is if it'll talk via Bluetooth (it should) and if so, will a program like FFS on a Trimble be able to listen to it and populate the appropriate fields from the data it sends.

Thing for me is if it'll talk via Bluetooth (it should) and if so, will a program like FFS on a Trimble be able to listen to it and populate the appropriate fields from the data it sends.

Only if FFS publishes the interface specification to them and they want to invest the manpower to do it. Same for Kestrel

I run CB on a Trimble and I run a Kestrel as well. Kestrel is a must for me. CB would be nice as well but I’m not sure that will happen.

It's main feature is the "link" with the Kestrel 5700 Elite Ballistics unit with LINK. So yes, it most definitely hooks up with the Kestrel 5700 elite ballistics unit with LINK.

Reactions: Nik H
Not to stray too far from the topic of this potentially badass LRF, but would the capabilities of this including the 8x optics outweigh the benefits provided by a decent pair of binos with a LRF built-in (say Leicas, 10x older ones in my case)...? I might add that I have a Kestrel 5700 Elite, so that's obviously a large plus on the electronics side. But, what about the duality of purpose you'd have in using binos, to say, spot for other shooters, etc vs just using this optic or have I already answered my own question...? Anyone having thought through the lower power mono vs bino use-case and then has had practical experience with their choice, your wisdom is appreciated.

I've looked at used Terrapins a while back and even then they were way out of my price league, that's not to say I don't spend on this sport as I know all of us do. However, this unit is well within range (pun intended), so my interest is renewed.

Last edited:
The bino RFs weigh a lot and last we tested them most dont have any more ranging prteformance than palm sized LRF, Other thing binos with built in RF except Steiner are of the format you wouldnt use without it being also LRF, I personaly like poro prism binos that are somewhat compact and once set you dont need to spinn the focus wheel all the time when scaning around. In RF binos you are paying great deal for bino glass not for RF premormance.

A 2000+$ RF bino will not equal Terrapin X in ranging but it will have great glass.

The bino RFs weigh a lot and last we tested them most dont have any more ranging prteformance than palm sized LRF, Other thing binos with built in RF except Steiner are of the format you wouldnt use without it being also LRF, I personaly like poro prism binos that are somewhat compact and once set you dont need to spinn the focus wheel all the time when scaning around. In RF binos you are paying great deal for bino glass not for RF premormance.

A 2000+$ RF bino will not equal Terrapin X in ranging but it will have great glass.

Thanks for this, this is exactly where I'm at a cross-roads and the above mentioned bino's weakness is the internal LRF and display. I'm also aware of the fatigue that may come with observing through a monocular and the decreased FOV for scanning large areas compared to binos.

Guys a Sig 2400 will probable do 3000 yards of a reflective rock face. My Sig Kilo 2000 will go over 2000 yards on a flat rock face. Be causious with this untill they actuall hit the market. I'm sure it will be a solid rangefinder, but I'm gonna wait till the verdicts out.
I don't disagree, but the original Terrapin claimed 2600-ish yards, and I've gotten repeateble returns at over 4k in good conditions. The max I've seen reported was a hair under 5k. It will be interesting to see if Vectronix played this one conservatively, or not. Either way, the 8x glass is a very welcome addition. Ranging far-off critters at 5x was challenging.