• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

I second Jeffd... how do you get it to display the range & azimuth on the Kestrel? Not in the directions and can’t seem to find it anywhere..

Thanks, Detroit.
Never mind, I figured it out. For anyone else that has set the Terrapin X to KEST mode, is connected to the Kestrel, and your ranges aren’t being transferred to it automatically, make sure that the Kestrel and Terrapin are BOTH either in Yards or Meters- it won’t do the transfer if they are not matching.

Reactions: Jeffd
Does a kestrel need the latest update to work with the terrapin ? I have not updated mine since I got it...and the new firmware seems to have bugs.

For those interested- been comparing Terrapin X, old Terrapin and Sig Kilo yesterday and today. Frank’s findings are spot on with my experience. Old terrapin slightly outranges the new one (that seemed to be amplified the darker it got for me), Terrapin X and old Terrapin both outrange the Sig Kilo every time, day or night (I have been a Sig Kilo fan since it came out). I’ll attach some pics. Here were my findings-
Bright Daylight-
Terrapin X- hit 2,235yds, couldn’t get it to go further
Old Terrapin- hit 2,537
Sig Kilo- could not hit 1,900ys, both Terrapin’s did every time

Dusk-
Terrapin X- hit 3,060 yds
Old Terrapin- hit a whopping 4,700 yds
Sig Kilo- wouldn’t range 1,900, both Terrapin’s hit it every time

Attachments

• 4E5D8A34-FA19-477A-857B-98AA60054DCF.jpeg
    4E5D8A34-FA19-477A-857B-98AA60054DCF.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 280
  • D385D8DB-B2E5-4733-B025-36321AA53560.jpeg
    D385D8DB-B2E5-4733-B025-36321AA53560.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 273
  • D1B7CCD9-66D6-4907-A4C6-3C20B9116FFB.jpeg
    D1B7CCD9-66D6-4907-A4C6-3C20B9116FFB.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 004B79DE-EC09-4ECE-B0AB-F097E66F7930.jpeg
    004B79DE-EC09-4ECE-B0AB-F097E66F7930.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 548BB8A1-8F82-4D2F-A8E5-D5C850FAF415.jpeg
    548BB8A1-8F82-4D2F-A8E5-D5C850FAF415.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 278
  • FF7D0D07-A2D3-433D-A509-E24B1F755668.jpeg
    FF7D0D07-A2D3-433D-A509-E24B1F755668.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 2637C51F-D33C-4B37-A436-DC578A115CE5.jpeg
    2637C51F-D33C-4B37-A436-DC578A115CE5.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 258
For those interested- been comparing Terrapin X, old Terrapin and Sig Kilo yesterday and today. Frank’s findings are spot on with my experience. Old terrapin slightly outranges the new one (that seemed to be amplified the darker it got for me), Terrapin X and old Terrapin both outrange the Sig Kilo every time, day or night (I have been a Sig Kilo fan since it came out). I’ll attach some pics.

Thanks for the update.

How does the speed and scan mode on the Terrapin-X compare to the Kilo?

WOW.

I wanted this for reliable ranging on critters not just steel...great reports already.

So I ranged the following with the T-X today:

Furthest this bright afternoon on a hard surface 2498 yards

Deer heads popping up out in the hayfield next to me 600-750 yards
Mule deer coming out of the sage into the grass, 1750-1800 yards every time (semi cloudy)
Sandhill cranes 1200-1300 yards
Horses, cattle 1900 plus, etc

Just like my previous Terrapin/PLRF!0/15’s I easily differentiated from Animal to animal within herds visually confirming the differential (correct) readings each time.

Connectivity to Kestrel 5700 AB via BT instant and constant even 4-5’ away.

Reticle/beam as best I can determine with my normal testing dead center.

Glass quality beautiful

Very impressed
Fantastic
Happy

WOW.

I wanted this for reliable ranging on critters not just steel...great reports already.

Mule deer coming out of the sage into the grass, 1750-1800 yards every time (semi cloudy)

Just like my previous Terrapin/PLRF!0/15’s I easily differentiated from Animal to animal within herds visually confirming the differential (correct) readings each time.

Glass quality beautiful

Very impressed
Fantastic
Happy
Thanks trump

Reactions: alfmoonspace
Looks like he used the 2400AB. My experience is not scientific, however the Sig’s hyperscan mode seems to be right on to me @ .25 sec per reading; whereas the T-X seems to be around .5 seconds

yes it's the 2400AB. And agreed the Sig's scan mode is faster. That's the best feature about the SIG in my opinion.

IMHO- The real advantage for me, and those of us that are shooting PRS or field matches, is the time savings by having the X connected to the Kestrel. No more manually punching in ranges or Azimuth's. You just range, it shows up on the kestrel, click over to Target B, range again and keep going. It's FAST.
I'm shooting Mile High this weekend, I'll be taking the X. I'm expecting I will have a lot more time at each stage, which I am excited about!

DAMMIT! I have a Curtis Vector build I’d like to finish but you guys are killing me. I might put that on hold to pick up one of these. Anyone want to sell me theirs? Lol

WOW.

Glass quality beautiful

Very impressed
Fantastic
Happy

Were these ranged on a tripod or offhand? I'm interested to see how they do offhand because I don't always hunt with a tripod. Thanks!

The above measurements were done using a RRS tripod.

After seeing your question I stepped out on the back deck and shot the following a few minutes ago without any difficulty offhand:

Mule deer: 577 yards
Charolais cow: 1942 yards
15’ wide shop: 1044 yards
Boulder: 2842 yards

Reactions: alfmoonspace
The above measurements were done using a RRS tripod.

After seeing your question I stepped out on the back deck and shot the following a few minutes ago without any difficulty offhand:

Mule deer: 577 yards
Charolais cow: 1942 yards
15’ wide shop: 1044 yards
Boulder: 2842 yards

That’s pretty good. Do you think it might range deer a bit farther? And how would it compare to a sig kilo on deer? Thanks

For sure, I just stepped out and ranged what was in sight for 5 minutes. I do not have the most steady hands, that was standing w/o any help. As you know hand held anything (shooting/ranging etc) is very subjective. The T-X has a quick return upon discharge - but as the other vectronix units you have to wait about 1 second before you range something else.

I ranged deer last evening at nearly 2k with my tripod. Normally w/o a tripod in the field I will use my CF walking sticks, knees, trees, pack or something...as Mr. Litz puts it - most longer shots are missed because of an incorrect range reading assumed by the shooter.

Negatory, sold the EL Range locally. Have an old Swaro SLC 7x42 that I use for general glassing.

I like the glass enough on the T-X that I would be happy with them if I went ultra light.

Most likely will part with my new leica 2000B however

Had a few minutes today before an appointment in town, so went to the local range instead of my normal BLM playgrounds.

Threw my Blaser 300N on my pack, put the T-X on the tripod and confirmed to a 12” x 20 plate on our far hill @ 1147 yds. Typical goofy wind sweeping L-R across the rock face. Dialed a the 8.5 the K gave me and held off 1/2 mil. Bingo cold bore 1 shot centerpunch.

The Vectronix / 5700 has been great for me

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vectronix...14734.aspx?utm_source=eoic2017&utm_medium=JAB

Attachments

• 90E7DBEE-AD88-4E68-ACD9-9A2D002E27D1.jpeg
    90E7DBEE-AD88-4E68-ACD9-9A2D002E27D1.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 198
Does a kestrel need the latest update to work with the terrapin ? I have not updated mine since I got it...and the new firmware seems to have bugs.

It seems yes, I talked to 3 Terrapin owners who were unable to connect to their Kestrel until the updated their Kestrel firmware to 1.22 and then were able to connect.

Was late to the dance but ordered one through eurooptics and got it in about 8 days (great service). Haven't ran it through it's paces yet but I'll give it a thumbs up.

Being that this is like my fifth or sixth range finder (may have forgotten a few) it falls under the "Buy once, cry once" category.

I have a 2700b and my buddy just got the Terrapin-x. We’re going to compare this weekend. It’s very smoky in California right now so this will certainly affect Ranges.

I’m very curious which hits small targets better at medium range. With the PLRF one can hit a mini-IPSC at 350 yards whereas with most others you’ll hit the berm beyond.

I’m talking with him the terrapin edges it out in distance slightly. However the side by side will be the true test.

FWIW I’ve been able to reliably hit trees at 2K with the 2700b and steel (IPSC) to 1500 yards.

The terrapin has the same reticle and Leica glass (8x) whereas the 2700b is (7x).

It appears they are definitely both Leica made as someone else said. seems to me the 2700b is just slightly tuned back. I’ll post up the results.

Reactions: JayB
I have a 2700b and my buddy just got the Terrapin-x. We’re going to compare this weekend. It’s very smoky in California right now so this will certainly affect Ranges.

I’m very curious which hits small targets better at medium range. With the PLRF one can hit a mini-IPSC at 350 yards whereas with most others you’ll hit the berm beyond.

I’m talking with him the terrapin edges it out in distance slightly. However the side by side will be the true test.

FWIW I’ve been able to reliably hit trees at 2K with the 2700b and steel (IPSC) to 1500 yards.

The terrapin has the same reticle and Leica glass (8x) whereas the 2700b is (7x).

It appears they are definitely both Leica made as someone else said. seems to me the 2700b is just slightly tuned back. I’ll post up the results.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Quick update on my Terrapin-x

Was finally able to test the X out yesterday on steel. First, we had a 24" round and a 2/3 IPSC target set at 974 yards. The Terrapin-x had no trouble ranging either of these. I was able to range green trees (cedar and pinon) out to about 1600 consistently. I did get returns out to 1900 off the green trees, but not every time. One interesting note is that on scan mode, it would not return a range off trees at that range, but when doing a single shot, it would return a range.

Next, I walked backwards from the 24" plate just to see how far I could range. All ranges were off a tripod. It ranged 1530 easily. There was a galvanized steel water trough at that same range, and it would not give a return from it. Then it started raining and I could not get a range any farther off the plate. I would assume the rain had something to do with that, but I wasn't able to try anything after the rain stopped.

Bluetooth connection with my Kestrel 5700 was super easy. Range and DOF transmitted instantly and proved to be spot on. I also noted that beam position versus the aiming circle seemed to be exactly centered.

I've had a slew of RFs over the last couple of years, and I would rate this one as second best pure ranging ability (better than a Sig 2400 but not quite as good as the original Terrapin). The bluetooth connectivity is really nice. Scan mode was a bit spotty. At closer ranges, scan mode works fine, but out at the limit, single shot would return a range where scan mode would not. Unfortunately, there were no hard targets other than trees to range. Since these trees don't have large green leaves, that could have affected the X's ability to range them farther.

Overall, I like it. If you are shooting out to 1500 yards, it should range accurately on steel plates every time. Past that, you might get inconsistent results, depending on plate size, etc. Hopefully, next time out I'll be able to do a pure ranging test with it versus an original Terrapin on a 24" plate out to the max on both.

@dirthead1 would you rather have a X or 2400 for PRS?

Anyone elapsed who cares to weigh in, I’d love to hear from you all. I don’t have a Kestel yet, if thats worth mentioning.

Thanks guys.

Anyone elapsed who cares to weigh in, I’d love to hear from you all. I don’t have a Kestel yet, if thats worth mentioning.

Thanks guys.
I used a bunch of vectronix- maybe that’s why I am not a super fan of the Sigs. They have a fat, fat beam and really perform only as advertised on highly reflective stuff like highway signs, not rolling hills and sparse trees.

Either hunting or at a match, sometimes you want to know item ranges other than the target. Mostly so you can be certain the plate is the plate etc.

In my option the new Leica 2700 with it smaller beam, way, way better glass, better ranging in rolling hills and trees, smokes the Sigs for just a few $ more.

The weight and form factor, lens are much better than my terrapin with similar beam size. Yes, I loose about 500 yards at max returns compared to the old Terripan, but add in 1/2 the cost and a better known warrantee and it gets my vote. (Not that it matters).

Ps just don’t get the B because it has the ballistics, because it is more than weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyO20

Thanks guys.

I’ve only shot one prs type match and it was known distance, so I really can’t comment on which would be better. If I were hunting, I’d go 2400 since it is smaller and has ballistics built in. For pure ranging between the two I would go terrapin x. If you have a kestrel and don’t mind using two units, one for range and one for ballistics, then the x is a no brainer.

I know Frank has been using the x with a kestrel for matches lately and seems to like it. I’m sorry that I can’t give a more precise answer, but I have no experience in prs.

Reactions: OzzyO20
So I was able to get out and test the 2700B vs the Terrapin yesterday off a RRS tripod for both.

I have to say they are very similar. As previously stated it’s VERY Smoky in Nor Cal right now but first up was the 2700b off a tree at 2030 yards... was able to hit it reliably with every press of the button. Same goes for the terrapin.

Next I tried to hit some trees beyond that at 2200. The terrapin was able to hit it once out of 6 or 7 presses. I wasn’t able to tag it with the Leica. However I have hit trees to 2500 with the Leica on days where it was not so smoky.

Unfortunately there wasn’t any steel or animals out to try.

However I would have to say the terrapin is probably 200 yards or so better than the Leica as advertised.

Is it worth 900$? That’s up to you. The terrapin does have the cool ability to pair with your kestrel however I don’t really care about that myself. When I shoot a match there are 5 or 6 targets and I just need the distance.

Both have identical reticles and the glass is very similar. They are definitely both Leica products. The terrapin does have a 8x vs the 7x on the Leica and both are very good optically.

Reactions: triatleta
On the Terrapin X can you have your output as just linear distance and shot angle? Also is there a way to just turn the ballistics off and just beam your range to a kestrel?

These questions in my head are mind numbing because everything overlaps these days. AB in this, AB in that...

What’s the point of just beaming your range to a kestrel if u r not using the ballistic solver?

What’s the point of just beaming your range to a kestrel if u r not using the ballistic solver?
Use the solver in the Kestrel?

Assuming you already had a solid solver and wanted to get this latest and greatest lrf. Could you turn off AB in it and just use range and angle with an AB equipped kestrel? Or do you sync them and theoretically they talk to each other and all the data is same-same?
Just wondering... All I’m using is a Weatherflow and 4DOF and BallisticsARC, but I could see myself upgrading down the road.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s what I’m saying. Your post says u just want to send the range but not use the ballistics. I’m asking what’s the point of that.

Edited my question and hopefully it makes more sense.

Basically can you turn off the extra features if say you already have a kestrel with AB?

Edited my question and hopefully it makes more sense.

Basically can you turn off the extra features if say you already have a kestrel with AB?
Ok. AB is not onboard the terrapin. There is no ballistic solver in it and if I’m not mistaken it doesn’t show your solution either (someone correct me). You can pair it to any compatible device/solver. Although not sure whether it works with anything other than kestrel.