• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako, Rock, Manners, LongRifles

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2007
    Wautoma, WI
    So here is the current rundown... Sako Quad, Manners T4, Rock Creek barrel, machine work done by Chad Dixon LongRifles Inc. YHM Mite QD. Rock Creek bipod all shot prone with no rear bag. Leupold 3-9x40 EFR. Only shot at 50 yards because the snow banks are still a little too high for me to shoot prone at the backyard range.
    0409111817.jpg

First three groups are SK standard
    0409111859.jpg
    0409111859a.jpg
    0409111900.jpg

No cleaning, switched right to Winchester Super Match
    0409111900a.jpg
    0409111900b.jpg
    0409111901.jpg

I'll do some updating as it progresses. I plan on ordering DIP rail, bottom metal and knob. It will wear a NXS 5.5-22x50 when it's all said and done.

Re: Sako, Rock, Manners, LongRifles

The barrel is a little over 26 inches. I wanted it as long as possible. I also have a 16 inter that I had done at the same time

That is a great looking rifle. The groups are looking good also. I'm sure you will see them get tighter the more you shoot it and get use to it.

These were the first six groups out of the new barrel and I switched ammo after the first 3. Im sure they will tighten up, but this is a pretty good testament to the quality of the barrel, stock, and barrel work.

I've been trying to shoot in these 30-40mph winds... I guess my wind reading needs a little help
    smile.gif

Gorgeous rifle sir. The initial groups are really good. I can't quite imagine just how good they will be once you settle on a type of ammo and get the barrel broken in.

I've been dreaming of a similar Anschutz MPR build. The long barrel makes the gun for me.

Beautiful rifle, but if you are shooting with optics why did you opt for a barrel that long?

I ask because all the info that I've seen shows that a 22lr hits max velocity somewhere around 12" and as far as I know you really don't get any greater stability from the long barrel. (unless it's to add weight and stability for off hand, but it doesn't look like an off hand rig) The reason that open site guys go with long barrels is for site radius, there isn't much point to it if your using a scope and a bipod.

My thoughts for the longer barrel were many, mimic my other long range rifles balance, longer barrels means longer time in the barrel so it can tell if I'm not doing my job driving the rifle. longer is quieter, and finally, looks
    smile.gif
    Nothing wrong with shooting a good looking rifle.

I also have a 16" barrel that is going to be tested and shot alot also.

I wish I would of went with a longer barrel, my 18 inch barrel for my quad is fine but I would of preferred a 26 or 28 inch barrel to quiet it down since I cant run a suppressor.

Adam, it makes a pretty noticable difference in the report with the longer barrel. This was their CSM taper I believe. It was actually for a 40X but Pual and I figured it would look pretty at home on the Quad too. There is just a little wind today so I might go out and send a few more down range. I haven't gotten around to getting my rail ordered yet though.