• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trainer questions

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Hello all,

I have been feeling the need to pick up a "trainer" lately. Coming into winter in Maine, it seems that I could benefit from some rimfire shooting, as setting targets up at 700-1000 yards is a damn chore in three feet of snow. Generally I just shoot 100-230 yards with my centerfire during the couple months when the snow is really deep, but it seems like at those ranges I could benefit from some wind reading practice with a rim fire.

Currently I have a couple options. I haven't shot a .22 with any seriousness in the past 13 years or so, but back then (as a teen) I built up a 10/22. It has a decent trigger job, a Green Mountain barrel, and Volquartsen stock. If I go this direction, at the minimum I will need to upgrade the stock (the VQ has a short LOP and a terrible sporter grip angle,) buy a 20 moa base, and have the barrel threaded for my Sparrow.

Next option would be a Savage TRR SR. Already has the stock ergonomics I'm looking for (shooting bipod prone,) already has a threaded barrel, and from what I have read, it shoots pretty well stock. Price wise, it's about the cheapest complete rifle I have looked at.

Up from there, the CZ 455 Precision Trainer looks really nice. I REALLY like that it has a Manners T4, which is obviously a big step up from a Boyd's Tacticool or whatever the wood stock is on the Savage. Downsides are that in addition to the higher price, I'd have to add on a thread job (or a new threaded barrel,) trigger components, a pic rail, and from what I read, DIP bottom metal. At that price point, it may be worth considering a;

Sako Quad. These seem to be a quality option in a Manners T4 or a McMilllan A5. A lilja barrel would be available if the stock one didn't shoot.

Probably wouldn't go much more expensive than that. The Black Ops 40x gun looks fantastic, but at that price point, it's tough to swallow.

All that said, I need some direction. Will I be happy with the 10/22's performance? I am not going to be entering this rifle into any benchrest competitions, but I do appreciate a good shooter. I remember the 10/22 shooting well, but that was back when I was a teenager and much easier impressed, now I am used to shooting an Accuracy International AX and am worried I might need more. Again the purpose is as a tactical trainer, but the value of the training seems negligible if the gun doesn't hold sub moa. Never mind that good .22 ammo costs almost as much as hand loads, so I will quickly lose interest if .30 cents a round doesn't hold moa.

Any input would be appreciated! I have read a fair amount of threads but no real comparisons and it is always hard to tell if what is "great performance" for some is the same as what I consider that to be. Before I go spending in any particular direction, I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: Trainer questions

I would break out the 10-22 and shoot it.
You could modifiy the stock.
You could still get another rifle.
Trigger time is good.

The Blackops .22 is nice...but if its a trainer. You can probably do without the repeating function. I just picked up a 40x($900) and I'm going to drop it into a AX stock and upgrade the trigger to a huber to mimic the AI trigger.

The savings in ammo alone will pay for the difference of it vs the others in 6 months.

I don't need the ergonomics to match my AX per se, I do just fine when swapping from my AX to my TRG-42, and the ergos are completely different.

Well, as a "step 1," I did the logical thing: I ordered an unfinished Boyd's Tacticool and a Tactical Solutions 15 moa pic rail. I had it 2nd day'd so that I will have it for Thursday (day off) and I'll finish the stock off then and paint it. I'm into it for just over $130 shipped, and this approach made the most sense because I won't be selling this gun (sentimental) so I might as well see how it shoots before blowing a ton more cash.

I have both CZ 455/Manners (won @ the SHC. Built and donated by
mark at Accurate Ordnance), and a Sako Quad in Manners T-4.

Both guns shoot 1/2MOA at 50 yards and the groups open up on both guns at 100. Think thats just the nature of the22LR round, or maybe my marksmanship, LOL!

Both are sweet rigs. Think you'd be happybwith either, but it looks like you've gone elsewhere....

Not elsewhere per se, just trying the 10/22 FIRST.

Anschutz first

40x second

Cz 3rd

Savage 4th

There are some very goods deals out there on older single shot Anschutz's. I just finished researching the shiznit outta Anschutz rifles as I am using one as the base for my next trainer rifle. Good thing then is when ur ready to make it a repeater, there is a smith that can do the work for cheaper than the 40x conversion out and cheaper mags. He also guarantees 3/8" groups at 50 out of his rifles.

I will do a complete review on mine when done.

Regards
DT