• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hello all! 700 build up advice

jarrettpaul

FNG
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
northern california
Hopefully this is the right place for this, i looked. Well first off since I'm new id like to start with a brief introduction i guess. Names Jarrett. Ive always been into shooting since i was a lil shit and have hunted for years and always wanted to serve in the armed forces but life is crazy and i got heavily into the firefighting world but never lost my drive and interest in being a proficient shooter. Ive attended carbine and handguns class's in my off time to keep the hunger to and strive to become a better marksman which has led me to wanting to get into the long range world. A few coworkers compete and have conned me into buying a system. Heres what I've come up with so far. Just looking for guidance in the right direction.. Any advice is welcome id rather know now then get myself something i won't like. This rifle will be used for hunting as well occasionally, and id like to use factory ammo for now until i can get my self into reloading.

Stiller tac 30 or 300 undecided on either a .308 or 300 win mag
rock creek m24 contour 1-10 for 308... not familiar with twist for 300
jewell trigger
nightforce nxs or F1???
Badger rings and base
Stock is also undecided its between hs precision, manners mini, or aics ax.
And I've heard a lot of really good things about chad dixons gunsmithing over at long rifles inc.

Again this is just a mock up, i feel like I've done my homework but please correct me if I'm wrong. Ive spent a few months reading reviews on products and this is what I've come up with. If this is a good setup I'm thinking ill start getting it on its way next week. Sorry for a lengthy post..just taking this build pretty seriously with a lot of $$ on the table

Re: Hello all! 700 build up advice

Hell of a stick you are building. I would love to have that build any way you slice it.

What kinds of LR shooting are you planning on doing? You said your friends compete, what types of comps, are you planning on shooting comps?

Hopefully its the right path, i kind of feel its over kill. But then again it should last me a long time. Im not sure what kind it exactly is but they go a couple times a month up in oregon. As far as me competing, maybe after i got really comfortable. Ive personally never competed...

The two most obvious answers are the .308 or the 6.5 creedmore.

The .308 has a plethora of available commercial match ammo that far surpasses any other cartridge.
It is inherently accurate.
It is easy on barrels.
It is an excellent hunting and an excellent target cartridge.
It is easy to shoot.

The 6.5 has many of these attributes.
Not quite as easy on barrels
exterior ballistics very close to the .300 wm but with less recoil than the .308
High quality commercial ammo available, though limited by supplier.
A big plus is the hornady ammo has the recipe on the side of the box.
Specifically designed as a match cartridge that also happens to be an excellent hunting cartridge

Looks like a hell of a start. My only advice is this, if your talking about shooting competition or you just want something competitive the .308 is a good all around caliber for sure. BUT there are way better rounds ballistically speaking. I would go for a 7-08 personally. 6.5mm 7mm is ballistically probably the best rounds out there for a short action rounds(of course these are debatable). I run a .260 and a buddy runs a 6.5 Creedmore and 7mm-08 which all 3 shoot lights out. We both own .308s and I have owned a .300 WM. The .30 cal stuff is fun to shoot because there are so many options. If you are talking competition level shooting like in F class open or something I would recommend going 6.5mm or 7mm for sure. Also if you dont reload I recommend it highly in the bolt gun world.

For hunting purposes the 260, and the 6.5's are great as well as the 30 cals that you are looking at. If you get into hard target shooting and really give the gun a work out, the 260 and 6.5's might not be a good option since they are a bit harder to keep tuned up. Since you do not reload yet this may be a problem for you. The 308 & the 300 WM would be the better round for both target and hunting since it does not require chasing the tune.

The more I hear about the 6.5 the more I want to look into it. Sounds like alot of people like that round. Now you say the 6.5 is hard on barrels but is it any harder then The win mag? This rifle will see much of its life being lugged around in the woods deer, elk, bear, and pig hunting and it will definetly fill my coyote killer role, as well as shooting long range targets. My goal is much further then a thousand yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc Holliday</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I hear about the 6.5 the more I want to look into it. Sounds like alot of people like that round. Now you say the 6.5 is hard on barrels but is it any harder then The win mag? This rifle will see much of its life being lugged around in the woods deer, elk, bear, and pig hunting and it will definetly fill my coyote killer role, as well as shooting long range targets. My goal is much further then a thousand yards </div></div>

You cannot go wrong with the 6.5!

Might want to reconsider your contour if you are wanting to "lug it around the woods". Damn m-24 contour is going to wear you out and you don't need a heavy contour unless you are rapid firing. I would suggest a Rock Creek fluted #4 or #5 contour. You mentioned elk, bear, and factory ammunition in the same sentence, for that reason, I would look at a 300 Win Mag. All of the stocks you mentioned are great, but think about one with a light weight fill for reduced weight. Consider some NF aluminum rings and bases also, Badger is nice to have when riding a tank, but not necessary. Put a break on it, get you some Fed Gold Medal 190 ammo and rock out. Dixon seems like an excellent gunsmith, just give him a call, tell him what you wnat and he can tell you what you need.

The 300WM is a big round.. not ridiculous, but not something I'd like to put 100rds a session down range with on a regular basis. The 6.5's and 7's are all nice but if you want factory ammo, the .308 is where it's at. Everyone needs a good .308! If you aren't doing regular shooting over 800yds, them a 22" .308 is your ticket. You can reload from 155's to 208's when you get into it (which you should). There will always be something better, but do you really need it to suit your purposes? Think K.I.S.S.

If you want something with better ballistics w/o the recoil of the magnums.. check out the .243. Plenty of factory ammo there too. Those little pills can put us some crazy ballistics numbers.

Welcome and good luck on your build.

6.5 creedmore is the only way to go if you do not reload. Get the heavy contour and workout if it gets too heavy. If you are going to practice and compete, the heavy barrel will be a plus. 308 is fine also. You can't beat barrel life and availability of ammo of 308. AICS has in my opinion several advantages over other options.

Yea I need to look into the 6.5, I may just stick with the 308. Seems to shoot good and be the most forgiving. You mentioned kiss... What is kiss? Is that a format to. Build a gun to?

If you keep bouncing back and forth between short action cartridges with a 308 bolt face, a switch barrel rig has always intrigued me. Kinda gets away from the KISS method, but for what it is worth, i am looking to build a 308 and 243 switch barrel rifle in the near future.