• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

18172.jpeg

Only pic I have of it.

It's hard to tell from that pic. But the easiest way is by the safety lever. If it's thin and just a square tab on a flat metal piece that goes up into the trigger it's the original. If it's a wide wing that protrudes outside the trigger guard it's the second. You can also tell by the adjusting screws but that's a little more nuance.

It's probably a first as the second is made to be less likely to mess up with adjustments. You may be best off to call Beretta USA. I know of people who messed up the original trigger and said they had to send it out to be repaired.

I have owned and adjusted many of the original ones and never had a problem but it happens, hence the change.

It's hard to tell from that pic. But the easiest way is by the safety lever. If it's thin and just a square tab on a flat metal piece that goes up into the trigger it's the original. If it's a wide wing that protrudes outside the trigger guard it's the second. You can also tell by the adjusting screws but that's a little more nuance.

It's probably a first as the second is made to be less likely to mess up with adjustments. You may be best off to call Beretta USA. I know of people who messed up the original trigger and said they had to send it out to be repaired.

I have owned and adjusted many of the original ones and never had a problem but it happens, hence the change.
From your description it's a gen1.

He hasn't shot this rifle much at all since he's had it. Previous owner reportedly shot less than three boxes through it. For those shooting factory barreled guns, do they seem to prefer the lighter bullets ? It shoots the 250's pretty good but it doesn't care for 300's.

So far he's used S&B 250gr, hornady precision hunter 285's I think, some flavor of berger elite hunter, can't recall what they were loaded with and prime 300gr.

Reactions: stefan73
From your description it's a gen1.

He hasn't shot this rifle much at all since he's had it. Previous owner reportedly shot less than three boxes through it. For those shooting factory barreled guns, do they seem to prefer the lighter bullets ? It shoots the 250's pretty good but it doesn't care for 300's.

So far he's used S&B 250gr, hornady precision hunter 285's I think, some flavor of berger elite hunter, can't recall what they were loaded with and prime 300gr.
Sounds like an early TRG. Pre-2013. The initial run had barrels with 1/12 twist for 250 grain bullets, and wouldn't stabilize 300's. Sako quickly switched to 1/10 twists as heavier bullets became popular. Then around late 2013 they did a redesign on the trigger so people wouldn't tamper with it too much. Pre-2013 had a thin metal tab for safety, the post 2013 had a larger winged tab. From the pic posted thats a pre-2013.

Reactions: stefan73
Who works on trg triggers ? My brother bought a used trg last year and the trigger is on the lite side. If you run the bolt too fast it won't stay cocked.

We tried adjusting it a little and then we ran into problems with the safety functioning. We turned it back down where it functions but tge trigger is mere ounces.

Here:

Quick question, did Sako make the M995 TRG-S 338 Lapua Magnum in both 1:12 and 1:10 twist? I'm buying one online, and don't see a twist rate in the photos. Serial Number starts with 8883XX

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Quick question, did Sako make the M995 TRG-S 338 Lapua Magnum in both 1:12 and 1:10 twist? I'm buying one online, and don't see a twist rate in the photos. Serial Number starts with 8883XX

Thanks so much!

Jeff
Only in 1:12. The 1:10 twist was incorporated in the TRG42s after the TRG-S was already out of production.

Reactions: Bravo6
Only in 1:12. The 1:10 twist was incorporated in the TRG42s after the TRG-S was already out of production.
Appreciate your response, thanks so much!! For some reason Sako lists their discontinued M995 338 Lapua with a 1:10 twist rate that's why I was confused, appreciate your help!

Jeff

The Vision Chassis has some options for the TRG-22 and TRG-42, now stateside being sold through GCP Rifle Co in Florida!

The TRG-22 has the option for a full chassis replacement, and both the TRG-22 and TRG-42 have a replacement forend option.
Will the M995 TRG-S fit if you were able to swap out trigger and mags?

Will the M995 TRG-S fit if you were able to swap out trigger and mags?
Unfortunately it will not work. Only the short action TRG-22 will work with the full Vision Chassis, there isn't a long action option for the full swap.

Thanks,

Sam

You certain about that?
I remember mine as 1:10
And this site is saying the same:

338 Lapua Mag / 10" / 4
CALIBER / RATE OF TWIST / NUMBER OF GROOVES
VARIANTM995

Is there a simple twist rate test to perform?
I have an original Sako M995 TRG-S super light weight hunter model in 338LM.

Is there a simple twist rate test to perform?
I have an original Sako M995 TRG-S super light weight hunter model in 338LM.
Stick a tight fitting brush or patch down the barrel and see what push distance it takes to do a full revolution of the rod, aka let the rifling spin the brush

Reactions: buggz
I just looked up a bullet stabilization software and if I inputed everything correctly, it said a 1:12 twist would stabilize a 270 gr ELDX very well, maybe my inputs are wrong?

I just looked up a bullet stabilization software and if I inputed everything correctly, it said a 1:12 twist would stabilize a 270 gr ELDX very well, maybe my inputs are wrong?

You certain about that?
I remember mine as 1:10
And this site is saying the same:

VARIANTM995
CALIBER / RATE OF TWIST / NUMBER OF GROOVES
338 Lapua Mag / 10" / 4

Not 100% certain as a lot of weird stuff has come of the Sako production line through the years and I've been wrong before :D. But I would be hesitant to trust the Sako website or ad catalogs since they are usually ridled with typos. The TRG-S also came with a lot of different calibers and barrel lenghts that are missing from the linked page.

The TRG-S manuals and the sample I've come across (including mine) have been 1:12. Also, I've seen a statement somewhere on a local forum that all Sako LapMag barrels were 1:12 before the TRG-update, but I'll try to find where I've seen this.

But, I'm eager to hear what your measurements tell about your twist rate. It would be nice if it is a ten.

Last edited:
Finally put all of the pieces together for my poor man's TRG... I'm going to put a coat of Krylon on the factory barrel and brake for now, and then have the whole thing Cerakoted when I rebarrel to 338 NM. I just slapped the SWFA 3-15 on there to get a feel for the rifle, but not sure what I'll do long term for an optic.

The backstory: I got this M995 in the early spring for a pretty good deal with Redding Match dies and a pile of Lapua brass. Next, I picked up a KRG W3 and swapped rear ends +cash with a member on here to make it match my other Bravos. The rail was custom ordered from Murphy Precision, and I sent it along with an MBM brake that would blend with the factory taper to Long Rifles Inc to have the receiver drilled and tapped and the muzzle threaded and brake timed.

FWIW, it was my first time doing business with LRI (I sent along a Tikka barreled action for some work at the same time as this one), and they have one more loyal customer. Communication was top notch, prices were excellent, and the workmanship is outstanding.

Attachments

• IMG-6996.jpg
    IMG-6996.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-6994.jpg
    IMG-6994.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 80
Nice.
Did you simply swap out the rear for a Bravo rear?
I have the KRG W3 gen6 on mine, I like the look of yours much better.

Nice.
Did you simply swap out the rear for a Bravo rear?
I have the KRG W3 gen6 on mine, I like the look of yours much better.
Yep, it's just a simple swap out. Takes 30 seconds or so.

I love the Bravo rear and the difference in value between it and the W3 folder helped offset some of my costs for this.

Thanks, I want to get a rail like you have, and a longer/heavier barrel.

Is the TRG-22, and TRG-42 stock mount the same as a TRG-S M995?
The KRG W3 instruction kind of elude to it when I put mine together.
But, doesn't come out and say it definitively.

Not 100% certain as a lot of weird stuff has come of the Sako production line through the years and I've been wrong before :D. But I would be hesitant to trust the Sako website or ad catalogs since they are usually ridled with typos. The TRG-S also came with a lot of different calibers and barrel lenghts that are missing from the linked page.

The TRG-S manuals and the sample I've come across (including mine) have been 1:12. Also, I've seen a statement somewhere on a local forum that all Sako LapMag barrels were 1:12 before the TRG-update, but I'll try to find where I've seen this.

But, I'm eager to hear what your measurements tell about your twist rate. It would be nice if it is a ten.
I will check tonight what my TRG-42 .338 Lapua is. I believe 1:10 but I will confirm.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Is the TRG-22, and TRG-42 stock mount the same as a TRG-S M995?
The KRG W3 instruction kind of elude to it when I put mine together.
But, doesn't come out and say it definitively.
What are you asking?

The trg-s is a 42 action with the top milled off.
The 22 is 20 mm shorter.

The trg-s fits in a 42 stock (as per pics posted above), but needs a trigger guard/mag release which KRG provides with the trg-s W3 chassis.

What are you asking?

The trg-s is a 42 action with the top milled off.
The 22 is 20 mm shorter.

The trg-s fits in a 42 stock (as per pics posted above), but needs a trigger guard/mag release which KRG provides with the trg-s W3 chassis.
Thanks for this information!

For those of you with a TRG-S in 338LM--did/does your rifle have a very short throat? I've measured my CBTO/CBTL @2.8565, which doesn't allow me to load even a 250 gr AB to mag length....
Thanks.

For those of you with a TRG-S in 338LM--did/does your rifle have a very short throat? I've measured my CBTO/CBTL @2.8565, which doesn't allow me to load even a 250 gr AB to mag length....
Thanks.
Never measured mine, as I have only shot Lapua factory 250gr. loads.
What would I need to measure this?

Never measured mine, as I have only shot Lapua factory 250gr. loads.
What would I need to measure this?
You'd need 1) a Hornady OAL gauge with modified case 2) and a bullet comparator along with a micrometer. There are other ways to do it as well, but that's probably the easiest. Essentially pushing a bullet out of the mouth of a chambered case until it stops against the lands, and then with the bullet seated at that length measure from the base of the cartridge to the ogive.

I'm sure there are folks on here that can describe that process more accurately and with more technical precision, but that's my version.

Or one of these?

As I am just starting out trying to reload., I am thinking of getting the tools I need now upfront, instead of incremental upgrades.
Wondering how the above would be vs the Hornady solution?
Though being a newbie, I don't think they are the same end result?

Also thinking of these?

Last edited:
no, it'd be different than those--rather than measuring the chamber length relative to case size, I'm talking about the length of the throat (i.e., how far out the bullet is seated in the case relative to the distance to the barrel lands).

Anyone here tried to fit a KRG enclosed forend on a TRG-22?

KRG obviously does not sell one specific for the TRG, but with a bit of modification?

Reactions: MPrimo
2 questions,

First has anyone run 6br in their trg? Mine is currently 308 but has been collecting dust for a few years after I built a bighorn but I recently started to play with it and like the action and trigger much better than the bighorn so would like to convert it into my prs rig. If the br won’t work, what the smallest case people have had luck with?

Second, when I run the bolt Fast I’m getting about 10% failure on the trigger. Once the bolt cycles the trigger is hard and won’t fire. I have to lift and close the bolt again and it works. An my ideas?

Is this thread corrupted?
I cannot see post after a certain point, and the last post I see is not complete.
I cannot see my previous reply, so no doubt I won't be able see this one either.

Trg 22, rebarrelled in 6.5x47 and 6br
Trying out a vision chassis on the br.

Attachments

• 5E53B9AA-59EF-4B7B-8E4D-9885358F66B0.jpeg
    5E53B9AA-59EF-4B7B-8E4D-9885358F66B0.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 955DD80F-05A3-43C4-960A-71F74ED50C48.jpeg
    955DD80F-05A3-43C4-960A-71F74ED50C48.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 1EFD400E-3E48-48CA-B6CC-542C7F85B994.jpeg
    1EFD400E-3E48-48CA-B6CC-542C7F85B994.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 69DFF7B8-264E-4674-81DF-CF31F3CB4C9B.jpeg
    69DFF7B8-264E-4674-81DF-CF31F3CB4C9B.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 32
  • A9F102FF-A128-4019-B630-BE4E939C5D39.jpeg
    A9F102FF-A128-4019-B630-BE4E939C5D39.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 33F2363A-C2DC-4B3C-B099-D00FCA2616EB.jpeg
    33F2363A-C2DC-4B3C-B099-D00FCA2616EB.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 3A22CC20-AA77-47FE-9D5A-67C833B159D9.jpeg
    3A22CC20-AA77-47FE-9D5A-67C833B159D9.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 914F0BFD-6591-4D1E-AFFA-7FBA2AD6E566.jpeg
    914F0BFD-6591-4D1E-AFFA-7FBA2AD6E566.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 28
  • AE5FEC64-15A2-435F-AFBD-E7218044F8E2.jpeg
    AE5FEC64-15A2-435F-AFBD-E7218044F8E2.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Wow, this thread has been dead for over a year. Just now making it back to shooting and trying to figure out what to do with my 42. Keep the 7mag barrel and flute it for weight, or throw the 338RUM back on and cut it back to 20"

Reactions: Bravo6