• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

For those of you who have mono-pods on your buttstock, do you find that you can shoot with the mono-pod as accurately as off a rear bag?

I have a couple of TRG's with fixed stocks and was thinking of adding a rail on the bottom of the stock to try a mono-pod, I have never used one, always used a rear sand bag.

Just wondering what your opinion is shooting off a mono-pod, it would seem great if you didn't have to haul a rear bag around!

Thanks!

Reactions: michiman
Off a bench, I use the mono pod ... most anywhere else, I prefer a bag. It is just faster and easier to get set properly for me.

i have tried bags and monopods (not the Sako version). I prefer bags by a large margin. I think bags are actually more consistent and minimize the influence from the support hand. I shoot much better when I only touch the rear bag and am conscious not to touch the stock.

i have tried bags and monopods (not the Sako version). I prefer bags by a large margin. I think bags are actually more consistent and minimize the influence from the support hand. I shoot much better when I only touch the rear bag and am conscious not to touch the stock.
+1

I have been thinking about a TRG-42 for a while, but recently started considering a M995 build. I more than likely want a KRG chassis for it, so it seems like it makes more sense.

I found the 338 lapua bolts available for these at Midwest Gunworks, but they have no normal magnum bolts available, they say they are discontinued. That doesnt seem viable to me. On all the old threads regarding this it seems like Brownells used to be the importer and they were easy to get, but I'm not finding this to be true.

Does anyone have any insight?

I have been thinking about a TRG-42 for a while, but recently started considering a M995 build. I more than likely want a KRG chassis for it, so it seems like it makes more sense.

I found the 338 lapua bolts available for these at Midwest Gunworks, but they have no normal magnum bolts available, they say they are discontinued. That doesnt seem viable to me. On all the old threads regarding this it seems like Brownells used to be the importer and they were easy to get, but I'm not finding this to be true.

Does anyone have any insight?

Parts for the m995's seem to be drying up. The S20 seems to be the modern incarnation of the rifle, I've certainly got my eye on them.

Parts for the m995's seem to be drying up. The S20 seems to be the modern incarnation of the rifle, I've certainly got my eye on them.
Excuse my ignorance, but since it's just a TRG 22/42 bolt, shouldn't it still be available?

Excuse my ignorance, but since it's just a TRG 22/42 bolt, shouldn't it still be available?

Looks identical to my TRG-22 bolt, just shorter, although I'm not sure if they are completely compatible. I know that the rest of the parts seem to be drying up as I have been looking for a 30-06 magazine for a while.

I guess that there were a lot of calibres that are not available for TRG21/22/41/42 and bolts for those are hard to find. I thought also that bolt is just the same in all TRG models.

I think that I saw magazine for 30-06 for sale here in Finland. I can keep my eyes open.

Reactions: Afkirby
Yep, just order a TRG42 bolt for 300wm and it's GTG. That is, if TRG bolts are available in the US like one would think.

you can get TRG bolts from eurooptic. the 42 bolts will fit m995.

I grabbed a m995 (270win) barreled action here a few years back in case I wanted to go change barrel on TRG in the future. no counting M10 of course.

you can get TRG bolts from eurooptic. the 42 bolts will fit m995.

I grabbed a m995 (270win) barreled action here a few years back in case I wanted to go change barrel on TRG in the future. no counting M10 of course.
What do you mean "no counting M10"? All those eurooptic bolts are M10... Which I assume will work.

They are backordered, but at least they are available.

Yep, just order a TRG42 bolt for 300wm and it's GTG. That is, if TRG bolts are available in the US like one would think.
When searching, at least for m995 or 42 bolts, I can only find the 338 available.

Mean m10 as a whole kinda pricey.... not that components wont work .... total system as a whlle for us poors is $$$

Reactions: R_Swanson
The M10 bolts are different from TRG bolts. Look at the bends. I am not sure if they will even fit. I can give it a try if it really matters to anyone.

The M10 bolts are different from TRG bolts. Look at the bends. I am not sure if they will even fit. I can give it a try if it really matters to anyone.
I'd appreciate it, I only see the 338 lapua bolts for sale for the 42/m995. Euro optic has bolts (backorderable) for the M10 only, nothing for the 42/m995 I see.

Brownells can take a special order for the TRG 22/42 bolts, price is around $600

For what its worth -

I bought a 338 Lapua bolt from Midwest Gunworks. Other than that, I cant find the bolts for sale anywhere on the internet. Maybe they are in Europe, but my search isnt unearthing them. Brownells cannot special order them. Euro optic has nothing. As stated above M10's dont fit, its a different action and bolt. Midwest Gunworks only had the 338, they state the rest are discontinued... Obviously they are still making the bolt and action so they arent "discontinued", but they cant seem to get them.

Last edited:
I’m having trouble getting my TRG-22 trigger (purchased in ~2015 new) adjusted below 3 lbs.
is this common any recommendations?

Just for viewing pleasure

1589384803111.png

For what its worth -

I bought a 338 Lapua bolt from Midwest Gunworks. Other than that, I cant find the bolts for sale anywhere on the internet. Maybe they are in Europe, but my search isnt unearthing them. Brownells cannot special order them. Euro optic has nothing. As stated above M10's dont fit, its a different action and bolt. Midwest Gunworks only had the 338, they state the rest are discontinued... Obviously they are still making the bolt and action so they arent "discontinued", but they cant seem to get them.

did you just ordered it right now or have you ordered it earlier and you already received it?

did you just ordered it right now or have you ordered it earlier and you already received it?
Ordered it two days ago, its shipped - but didnt get it yet. Whats up, do I have something to worry about? Haha.

Last edited:
Ordered it two days ago, its shipped - but didnt get it yet. Whats up, do I have something to worry about? Haha.

I am just interested since I am thinking about buying the .338 lapua bolt for my m995 since I have a .338lapua barrel for it but no bolt. My rifle currently is running a .338 win Mag barrel and a 7mm barrel that I run the same bolt in. Looking at my bolt the bolt handle itself is full metal, yet the ones for sale look like plastic?

I am just interested since I am thinking about buying the .338 lapua bolt for my m995 since I have a .338lapua barrel for it but no bolt. My rifle currently is running a .338 win Mag barrel and a 7mm barrel that I run the same bolt in. Looking at my bolt the bolt handle itself is full metal, yet the ones for sale look like plastic?
The ball on the bolt handle end is plastic, thats how the TRG bolt handles are. Thats what you are referring to, right?

The ball on the bolt handle end is plastic, thats how the TRG bolt handles are. Thats what you are referring to, right?

yep that’s what I’m referring to. Because my M995 bolt is steel.Can that ball be taken off and some other style put on? Also you bought that bolt for your M995 or a TRG?

Got my TRG42 today, this thing is great. Action and trigger are fantastic, and I haven't even adjusted it yet.

I'll need to increase the LOP by about 1 inch, and since mines a pre-13 model the recoil pad looks like more of an ornament than something meant to help with recoil, so I will probably swap that out as well.

If anyone has any LOP spacers please let me know.

yep that’s what I’m referring to. Because my M995 bolt is steel.Can that ball be taken off and some other style put on? Also you bought that bolt for your M995 or a TRG?
I bought it for a TRG.

Reactions: VDVSNIPER
I recently upgraded to a Cronus BTR and a direct SPUHR mount. Since I had to strip down the gun to get the picatiny rail off I had the stock cerakoted magpul FDE.

I also installed a Henderson Precision 3” Universal ARCA rail using the BT Industries BT28-N Rail Nuts.

View attachment 6982625
Hey @skatz11 how is that henderson rail holding up for you? Do you wish at all you went with a longer rail or does the 3" suffice?

Also - Why the rail nuts from BT? According to Henderson they come with mounting gear for Anschutz style rails - did you not trust their mounting hardware?

Hey @skatz11 how is that henderson rail holding up for you? Do you wish at all you went with a longer rail or does the 3" suffice?

Also - Why the rail nuts from BT? According to Henderson they come with mounting gear for Anschutz style rails - did you not trust their mounting hardware?

The Henderson rail is working great. The 3” rail is enough but if I were doing it now I’d probably go with a longer rail.

The rail on the TRG is a little different than a true anschutz rail. The t-nuts in the Henderson kit worked, but where more difficult to keep the rail straight and aligned if I remember correctly.

I wish someone would make a replacement for the anshutz/universal rail that was a one piece full length RRS.

Got the bolt from MGW today. Its a single extractor which seems weird, being that dual extractors started being using in 2013, no? Also the bolt handle and shroud are a matte blued, which I dont know if I've ever seen. Just in case anyone else is interested. Regardless... I'm just happy I could get one, so I'm happy.

Question for anyone: Is the pre-13 sako trigger adjusted the same as the post-13? I cant find a manual on the pre-13 models and I dont want to mess it up, as I've read about the issues people have had.

The Henderson rail is working great. The 3” rail is enough but if I were doing it now I’d probably go with a longer rail.

The rail on the TRG is a little different than a true anschutz rail. The t-nuts in the Henderson kit worked, but where more difficult to keep the rail straight and aligned if I remember correctly.

I wish someone would make a replacement for the anshutz/universal rail that was a one piece full length RRS.

Thanks! I was thinking I'd get the 5", thats seals it... and makes sense on the t nuts, i'll order them from BT.

Reactions: skatz11
Anyone have any opinions - I can't get the trigger out on my pre-'13 TRG-42.

I am using the TRG manual, from Sako here: https://cdn1.sako.fi/sites/default/files/TRG-42_Manual.pdf

One thing to note - and this concerns me and makes me wonder if there are steps I'm missing... there must be some differences in taking the trigger out, as the manual states "turn the safety off, then pull the trigger and insert the 5mm wrench through the trigger guard." - However on mine, you have put the safety on, as the bolt is only accessible with the safety on.

I must be doing something wrong here. I cant get the bolt holding it in to budge with either tool.

Do they have loctite from the factory? That 3/8 ratchet is a long handle I can put a good amount of torque on something using it.

APgquVI.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to note - and this concerns me and makes me wonder if there are steps I'm missing... there must be some differences in taking the trigger out, as the manual states "turn the safety off, then pull the trigger and insert the 5mm wrench through the trigger guard." - However on mine, you have put the safety on, as the bolt is only accessible with the safety on.

The safety lever on the post '13 triggers differs from the pre's. On the pre '13 triggers the safety has to be ON to access the 5mm hex bolt. The manual you're referring is for the post '13 models and by looking at the pictures of those triggers, they need the safety to be off.

The triggers on my rifles have not had loctite on them but that doesn't mean none of them of have.

The safety lever on the post '13 triggers differs from the pre's. On the pre '13 triggers the safety has to be ON to access the 5mm hex bolt. The manual you're referring is for the post '13 models and by looking at the pictures of those triggers, they need the safety to be off.

The triggers on my rifles have not had loctite on them but that doesn't mean none of them of have.
Thanks man. Finally got it off... Took the 3/8 ratchet and I had to go at it. I'm surprised how tight it was torqued on.

Got the bolt from MGW today. Its a single extractor which seems weird, being that dual extractors started being using in 2013, no? Also the bolt handle and shroud are a matte blued, which I dont know if I've ever seen. Just in case anyone else is interested. Regardless... I'm just happy I could get one, so I'm happy.

Question for anyone: Is the pre-13 sako trigger adjusted the same as the post-13? I cant find a manual on the pre-13 models and I dont want to mess it up, as I've read about the issues people have had.

Thanks! I was thinking I'd get the 5", thats seals it... and makes sense on the t nuts, i'll order them from BT.
The post 2013 338lapua Sako trg bolts have double ejectors not extractors.

The newer TRG triggers only have one adjustment screw that is accessible with the trigger installed. The pre-2013 first and second stage can be adjusted independently.

Sako TRG Trigger adjustment (pre-2013) P. 12 & 23

He is my TRG-42 .338LM with PAC folding stock chassis.
TRG's trigger assembly and magazine can be used directly and chassis is full drop in and go.

TRG PAC.jpg

Reactions: Silvan and Kwe1982
It's over the bolt folding , so right side. Check dealer/manufacturer www.pautac.fi they ship worldwide.
Prices in site are in EUR and include VAT 24%, that you don't need pay VAT when they export.

Last edited:
It's over the bolt folding , so right side. Check dealer/manufacturer www.pautac.fi they ship worldwide.
Prices in site include VAT 24%, that you don't need pay VAT when they export.
What is that in US dollars? I dont know which currency is listed on the site?

With present EUR/USD rate folding stock chassis including shipping is about 2150 USD.

Got my Badger base in today - this is going back and I'm buying a Near, or I'll buy a Spuhr. Now I see why everyone recommends Near.

Changes ... always changes!
TRG-22, SAC barreled in 6.5 Creedmoor. Spuhr, Razor, Atlas ... now in a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 with ARCA rail and spigot. SilencoCo Omega on ASR brake/mount. Could I possibly be done? I wanted to build a custom rifle but this shoots so well that I decided to turn it into my custom.

Last edited:
Changes ... always changes!
TRG-22, SAC barreled in 6.5 Creedmoor. Spuhr, Razor, Atlas ... now in a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 with ARCA rail and spigot. SilencoCo Omega on ASR brake/mount. Could I possibly be done? I wanted to build a custom rifle but this this shoots so well that I decided to turn it into my custom.

Sweet thing :)

Reactions: Blueoval56