• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

Changes ... always changes!
TRG-22, SAC barreled in 6.5 Creedmoor. Spuhr, Razor, Atlas ... now in a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 with ARCA rail and spigot. SilencoCo Omega on ASR brake/mount. Could I possibly be done? I wanted to build a custom rifle but this shoots so well that I decided to turn it into my custom.

I went the custom route and built an impact precision,manners elite etc. while it’s cool I don’t think your giving up anything with the trg. If the bolt face allows you to use the caliber you want then there’s no reason not to us a trg. The action and trigger are as good or better then any I’ve used.

That was exactly my thinking. Chassis/Stocks are the tough part but KRG solves that at a cost I should live with. I get reliable mags (I have a bunch so not worried about cost of others), great trigger, super smooth 60 degree action and Mark at SAC to spin up barrels. BINGO! Don't think I'm outgunned in any way.
Not that I am a real competitor but I love having a rifle I enjoy that won't hold back.

Shout out to Shortbus... Finally got my TRG 42 out into the sunlight - love the new paint scheme

Thanks Branden
0470C91C-6910-496D-82E7-BEE423D11BB7.jpeg

TRG-42 is so nice looking gun! I prefer it over M10 but M10 has such a nice quick barrel swap and multicaliber option.

Shot this 3 shot group at 300 today during load development. Not bad for the second day of testing with it. Not the type of target I typically use but someone must have been unable to hit it and left it up. 338 lapua.

Attachments

• 5E941C7D-9FBA-410D-B834-F4A54385C7CA.jpeg
    5E941C7D-9FBA-410D-B834-F4A54385C7CA.jpeg
    975.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 9E57CF1B-B0A8-41AA-A5BF-009C7610688E.jpeg
    9E57CF1B-B0A8-41AA-A5BF-009C7610688E.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 267
Has anyone got a spare m995 stock (take off from a re-build) they would like to sell me?

Thanks

G

Just came across this thread...I did this almost ten yrs ago. Shortly after I built it I moved to the hills 'n hollers of n/e TN so I really never got a chance to stretch it's legs. Now it just sits in the safe. It's really the second of two...the first one didn't go so well. First one, I waited for months for a Bartlein gain twist stainless barrel in 7 rem mag. I had a "friend" who owned a custom gun company say he would do the "smithing" for me. Well, his "smith" turned out to not be so swift and ruined the barrel and action on the first go around. Put the wrong thread on the barrel, then tried to mickey mouse the receiver to fit. I warned him up front that the Sako was a metric thread, but he "forgot". So...they had to replace the barrel and buy a new rifle to replace the receiver and then, they still didn't get it quite right when it came to making the Tubbs heavy Remington style recoil lug fit. This was pretty much a year gone by waiting for all this to take place. Finally I was fed up enough with these guys that I went to Karl Kampfeld, who I wanted to do the precision work first but was just too busy, and talked h[m into finishing the project for me. He finished machining the receiver so the recoil lug looked like it belonged, had to take a little more off the barrel and had to re-chamber it as well. Then it was all sent out to get Melonited, then Karl did the final black Ceracote on everything to make it all match. I had ordered a Manners MCST4A stock and Tom did the inlet himself on the Bridgeport since there was no cnc program for that action. I fnally got the stock and barreled action in it's final configuration so I could do the pillar bedding and final stock filling and fitting. The bottom metal was from McMillan (by PTG) and took some fitting as well. Once the stock was finished, it went back to Manners and they put a paint job on it in their custom shop...courtesy of Manners since the stock took so long. I thought that was pretty nice...till I got it back. It looked horrible but because it was free, I wasn't going to complain. I had put some pics of it up on one of the shooting forums (might have been here on SH) and Tom Manners saw it. He sent me an email saying he was embarrassed and that he though it "looked like ass". He asked me to please take the pics down and please send him the stock so he could re-paint it. Of course, I did. I ended up having to make my own scope base since there wasn't one available when I built this. USO had made one at one time but it was no longer available.
And yes, the bipod is on backwards. :LOL:

Build details;
Sako TRG-S M995 in 7mm Rem Mag
Manners T4A stock painted in Manners custom shop
Bartlein #9 heavy varmint, 1:9.25 - 1:9 gain twist stainless, melonited
Tubb Remngton style heavy recoil lug
McMillan/PTG bottom metal
Custom 7mm Rem Mag match reamer from Dave Kiff
In-house custom 6061 T6 scope rail, hard annodized
In-house custom one piece stainless bolt knob
In-house custom fitting and pillar bedding
Final gunsmithing and metal finish by Campfeld Customs
Steiner Military M5Xi 5-25x56 with TPS 34mm scope rings

1595818520254.png

1595818902300.png

1595819163900.png

1595819289168.png

1595819531575.png

Last edited:
Just came across this thread...I did this almost ten yrs ago. Shortly after I built it I moved to the hills 'n hollers of n/e TN so I really never got a chance to stretch it's legs. Now it just sits in the safe. It's really the second of two...the first one didn't go so well. First one, I waited for months for a Bartlein gain twist stainless barrel in 7 rem mag. I had a "friend" who owned a custom gun company say he would do the "smithing" for me. Well, his "smith" turned out to not be so swift and ruined the barrel and action on the first go around. Put the wrong thread on the barrel, then tried to mickey mouse the receiver to fit. I warned him up front that the Sako was a metric thread, but he "forgot". So...they had to replace the barrel and buy a new rifle to replace the receiver and then, they still didn't get it quite right when it came to making the Tubbs heavy Remington style recoil lug fit. This was pretty much a year gone by waiting for all this to take place. Finally I was fed up enough with these guys that I went to Karl Kampfeld, who I wanted to do the precision work first but was just too busy, and talked h[m into finishing the project for me. He finished machining the receiver so the recoil lug looked like it belonged, had to take a little more off the barrel and had to re-chamber it as well. Then it was all sent out to get Melonited, then Karl did the final black Ceracote on everything to make it all match. I had ordered a Manners MCST4A stock and Tom did the inlet himself on the Bridgeport since there was no cnc program for that action. I fnally got the stock and barreled action in it's final configuration so I could do the pillar bedding and final stock filling and fitting. The bottom metal was from McMillan (by PTG) and took some fitting as well. Once the stock was finished, it went back to Manners and they put a paint job on it in their custom shop...courtesy of Manners since the stock took so long. I thought that was pretty nice...till I got it back. It looked horrible but because it was free, I wasn't going to complain. I had put some pics of it up on one of the shooting forums (might have been here on SH) and Tom Manners saw it. He sent me an email saying he was embarrassed and that he though it "looked like ass". He asked me to please take the pics down and please send him the stock so he could re-paint it. Of course, I did. I ended up having to make my own scope base since there wasn't one available when I built this. USO had made one at one time but it was no longer available.
Build details;
Sako TRG-S M995 in 7mm Rem Mag
Manners T4A stock painted in Manners custom shop
Bartlein #9 heavy varmint, 1:9.25 - 1:9 gain twist stainless, melonited
Tubb Remngton style heavy recoil lug
McMillan/PTG bottom metal
Custom 7mm Rem Mag match reamer from Dave Kiff
In-house custom 6061 T6 scope rail, hard annodized
In-house custom one piece stainless bolt knob
In-house custom fitting and pillar bedding
Final gunsmithing and metal finish by Campfeld Customs
Steiner Military M5Xi 5-25x56 with TPS 34mm scope rings

View attachment 7384399

View attachment 7384411

All that work and the bipod is still fitted the wrong way around!

Still, very sweet rifle!

Anyone know what the TRG-42 27” 338 barrels weigh?
Looking to rebarrel with a carbon fiber barrel and trying to see the actual weight savings.

thanks

Got this back last week. It is a work in progress and been allmost a year since I started it due to Covid-19.

Anyways. It is a M995/TRG-S rebarreled in 280AI Krieger 26" 1:8 Rem Varmint contour and a Tikka TAC A1 two stage trigger. Got a TRG-42 stock for it as well, the stock stock is a bit weak for bipod work.

signal-2021-02-05-170345.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my project,
Headed off to Short Action Customs

300 Norma Magnum, S&B 3-20, and a carbon fiber Bartlein 1:9 twist 22” Barrel.

Should finish around 12lbs, maybe it will go on a diet and lose some weight with a Mark 6 Leupold or a TT.
3534B200-495E-40DA-A0A5-2F4B5881E8E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is my project,
Headed off to Short Action Customs

300 Norma Magnum, S&B 3-20, and a carbon fiber Bartlein 1:9 twist 22” Barrel.

Should finish around 12lbs, maybe it will go on a diet and loose some weight with a Mark 6 Leupold or a TT.
View attachment 7553369
At first I started thinking about how you would fit a 300 NM in a short action...
Then my brain started working. 😊

I believe that Sako & S&B are a match made in heaven, and as much as I like Leuopold the optical quality is not the same as schmidt , good luck with what ever you choose to do .
it will come out great one way or the other

The beauty of these fine rifles, they just do everything. They do take up too much space in my safe though, maybe they need their own.

Reactions: Kwe1982
You were able to get 210s up to 3100 with H1000? How much powder are you using? Are you seeing pressure signs? Also, are you using stock barrel with 1:11? What is accuracy like with the 210s?
Thanks!

Reactions: stefan73
You were able to get 210s up to 3100 with H1000? How much powder are you using? Are you seeing pressure signs? Also, are you using stock barrel with 1:11? What is accuracy like with the 210s?
Thanks!
3010 not 3100, I will send PM

Too good not to share....
2.4.jpg
42 3-16-2021 wide.jpg
target.jpg

Attachments

• 2BFF0719-C28D-4471-BE08-FD2C9686E73C.jpeg
    2BFF0719-C28D-4471-BE08-FD2C9686E73C.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 81
  • CD5B0FE4-D98D-40DB-B28D-29207EC5F321.jpeg
    CD5B0FE4-D98D-40DB-B28D-29207EC5F321.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 86
  • D576F8B0-DED3-44D6-BECB-92C736DC4E8A.jpeg
    D576F8B0-DED3-44D6-BECB-92C736DC4E8A.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
@CerebralDistortion what cheek piece is that on the green gun?
I got tired of having to bring a hex wrench with me (and the stack of spacers) and since the bolt hits the cheek piece (when at my correct height) and I didn't want to modify that. I made my own.

Not as fancy as Terjes, but I don't need to adjust it. Correct height and quick detach is enough.

20210318_093727.jpg20210318_093741.jpg

Still in process. Needs prep and paint.

Hey anybody that’s had your trg apart, can you tell me where the hell does the little white aluminum piece go? In the pics it’s the one on the far right. I know the two on the left bolt the Hand guard on. This was flopping around after my last shooting session and I can’t find it referenced in the owners manual. Actually stopped me from inserting a mag at one point. Does it go in front of the mag well or behind it. Frustrated.

Attachments

• F48A08DC-7C84-40B3-AD34-809B38DDB08C.jpeg
    F48A08DC-7C84-40B3-AD34-809B38DDB08C.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 153
  • EA94B167-D79D-4668-BA32-57C771CE9592.jpeg
    EA94B167-D79D-4668-BA32-57C771CE9592.jpeg
    853.3 KB · Views: 141
It is an adjustment block for a good fit of the magazine. Should sit in front of the magwell.

Insert mag. Push the block rearwards to snug up the fit with the mag catch lever. Tighten screw.

It might want to move due to scoring in the aluminium rail. If the mag functions as it should in that position, you're done. Otherwise you might need to remove the burrs causing it to wander.

Reactions: schmi015
I was having to run a hot load with RE22 to get close to that velocity with 210's. My Rem bolt face was not pleased.
My barrel is 1/11 twist, not sure if that's why I am getting away with it or what. I have a light kiss of an ejector mark...

Will be backing off a couple tenths for the summer and see how she likes it.....

I am running a Rock M24 contour barrel and wrecked Daltons targets at Spearpoint when I first went there (was doing over 2975fps with 210grn Bergers, someone has a video of a guy shooting part of a match with vice grips after he broke the bolt handle and still finished in the upper half). I got 2975 fps with Win brass and RE22 from a 22" barrel chronoed on my CED M2. It shoots lights out but it is hard on the rifle and brass. I have been playing with H1000 and 230's but have been having issues with primer pockets blowing out. If I could get about 3 reloads I would be happy but on the 1st shot. All in the effort for more speed.

Reactions: Muskyjerk
Got this back last week. It is a work in progress and been allmost a year since I started it due to Covid-19.

Anyways. It is a M995/TRG-S rebarreled in 280AI Krieger 26" 1:8 Rem Varmint contour and a Tikka TAC A1 two stage trigger. Got a TRG-42 stock for it as well, the stock stock is a bit weak for bipod work.
@CerebralDistortion What kind of a rail did you put on this rifle? I've looked at the few options of what's still available for the TRG-S (Contessa, Valdada, etc) and am leaning towards getting my receiver drilled and tapped.... I just picked up a .338 Lapua TRG-S that's heading for a W3, but can't make up my mind on mounts. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

@CerebralDistortion What kind of a rail did you put on this rifle? I've looked at the few options of what's still available for the TRG-S (Contessa, Valdada, etc) and am leaning towards getting my receiver drilled and tapped.... I just picked up a .338 Lapua TRG-S that's heading for a W3, but can't make up my mind on mounts. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!
It's a NEAR mfg screw on. It was already mounted on the rifle when I bought it, drilled and tapped.

Had it not been, I would probably not have done it that way myself, since I dislike drilling holes where none are. But, as i said, it had already been done. Plus Cerakoted and pretty worn so not in it's original state.

Of what is available now, I think I would get a Valdada clamp on picatinny. My second choice would be Sako Optilocks and the third a Near.

But then it all depends on your requirements. Scope, if you want/need cant and so on.

If I had the tools I would mill my own rail mimicking the TRG top and solder that on there, then get a Spuhr and be done with it... 😉

I had both Contessa and Valdada and ended up in the end with a Near. Should of done it first time. I also have a U.S optics rail.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
^^^This is actually what I'd want to do, but I don't have the tools either and don't know if/which smiths out there would take on that job.
I know only one guy I would trust with this and has the tools. But he doesn't do work for money and I think this would not be 'interesting' enough...

I got tired of having to bring a hex wrench with me (and the stack of spacers) and since the bolt hits the cheek piece (when at my correct height) and I didn't want to modify that. I made my own.

Not as fancy as Terjes, but I don't need to adjust it. Correct height and quick detach is enough.

View attachment 7584404View attachment 7584405

Still in process. Needs prep and paint.

That is a really nice job on that cheek piece, do you have a STI file you would be willing to share?

That is a really nice job on that cheek piece, do you have a STI file you would be willing to share?
Tanks! Sure, it might not fit (too high for you) and I made it for a M6 screw...

But I guess you'll change it to fit.

Drop me a PM with an email address.

Got her back today, I'll take some better pics on range day.

I'm going to 3d print a rail in place of the aluminum one in the fore end.
I should have went with the titanium brake, probably could have gotten closer to 11.5 lbs with some other adjustments.

Mark and the guys(and gals) at SAC do some fine work.

IMG_5785.JPG

Who works on trg triggers ? My brother bought a used trg last year and the trigger is on the lite side. If you run the bolt too fast it won't stay cocked.

We tried adjusting it a little and then we ran into problems with the safety functioning. We turned it back down where it functions but tge trigger is mere ounces.

Who works on trg triggers ? My brother bought a used trg last year and the trigger is on the lite side. If you run the bolt too fast it won't stay cocked.

We tried adjusting it a little and then we ran into problems with the safety functioning. We turned it back down where it functions but tge trigger is mere ounces.
Which generation? I'm assuming it's the 1st gen