• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sat phone rentals

roggom

Senior Chief
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Northern Colorado
My hunting spot has very sketchy coverage. Been fine for the last few years but I have to hump at least 1.5 miles away from camp to catch a signal.

Just wondering of anyone has used a sat phone rental. And which service is best. I do not plan on using it unless it's life or death. But all the other delorme or spot trackers get you on service fees.

Any options?

I used one during my 08 deployment and I want to say it was about 800 bucks or so. Funny thing is they never charged me until I contacted them a year after the deployment and they had "lost" my paperwork some how. Here is a service that rents: Satellite Phone I went ahead and purchased my phone at the time with my one year contract and I have it sitting here in a box so if you can't find a rental place with an available rental, I can send you this one and you can activate it on their account for the time you need it. Out of the 4 phones you see on that page, mine looks like the one on the far right. Its a little bulky compared to some current models but it should work.

The SPOT Prepaid plan ( 75 min/$105) is good for what you need and you'll have a phone for the next time you need it and you can just buy the minutes again next season. It's also the most bang for the buck compared to the weekly fees that the service hairball linked to above. Sat phone use is expensive no matter how you cut it or try to get around it, you pay in one way or another.

Do you really need a phone?

Or do you just need a way to call for hlep?

If the later, look at personal EPIRBs

EPIRB

Look at the DeLorme InReach. It text messages via the Iridium system. I used mine all over Alaska with no issues. Text home, text for emergencies, text for locations of downed animals, spike camps, etc.. It does have a EPIRB button as well.

Sat phone store had some clean refurbs and used for $150. Then just buy 50 or 100 mins...I keep one as a spare works great. Minutes have really came down in price.

Thanks again all for the info. I went with a Delorme InReach SE, seems like a good combo of service and price for what I need. Going to try it out this weekend. Will update with a review of sorts.

"Thanks again all for the info. I went with a Delorme InReach SE, seems like a good combo of service and price for what I need. Going to try it out this weekend. Will update with a review of sorts."

good move, I was a early adopter of spot but the inreach with texting (both send and receive) is a better mousetrap. better coms, still can use standard coms if desired and better mapping
and some would say better sat system although I had no issues with the spot system in the Great Basin and Northern Rockies.

Idahoorion