• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

satern powder funnel waste of money

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
hi
just bought a satern powder funnel , this is my first one and very disapointed , poorly made , burred , and powder sticks to inside , cant be bothered to send back as shipping would be more than a new one ,
if you really want one i would suggest looking very close at the brass ali juntion inside, this example has some burrs and also where the crimp is placed has pushed the brass away from the ali ,
of course it could be the lemon of the .30 batch,
merry christmas

Re: satern powder funnel waste of money

probably me buying a lemon,
think i will try a 21st century one they appear to be machined not spun,
the rings on the satern are large enough to catch n140

Yep, you must have gotten a lemon cause I have 4 of them, 22, 6 6.5 and 30 and they all work like a charm. Not very expensive either.

Reactions: canezach

I give up, what's an "ali"?

Burrs generally respond to the light touch of a sharp knife.

Static is usually killed by wiping with a damp/soapy cloth and allowing things to air dry. ??

I love mine. Wipe the funnel down with a non-scented drier sheet (for your laundry drier), and it'll fix the static cling. Dress up any burrs with a file and fine sandpaper. For $10ish though, when you're buying a little funney, it should be good to go on delivery, not requiring any "finishing"...

All of mine work great. One of the best (and cheapest) improvments i've made in my loading room.

All of mine work fine,but I did spin a piece of scouring pad on a cleaning rod down the throat of each.Any of them can get static,nothing that a wipe with a dryer sheet won't fix. Lightman

I agree with the above posts. My Saturn funnels have been great. I have a 30 caliber, .270 (which I mostly use for my 6.5's) and a .22 caliber. The 30 caliber funnel was crushed in shipping, but I beat it back to -almost- round and it's good to go.

My only complaint is that my satern funnel doesn't stay balanced on top of my brass like my rcbs one. So I have to hold it while I drop the powder in.

I've had both and Ilike the 21st century funnel better. The adapters are well made and they sit on the case very well. The only thing I like better on the Satern is the funnel is a bit larger. Not a deal breaker for me since I pour down the side of the funnel anyway.

With the Saterns, the caliber specfic funnels are much better than the universal one that they sell...

For now I'll stick with the 21st century funnel.

my .02

I have had probs also with Satern funnels in 6.5mm, the first one I got wasn't smooth, and powder would hang up on ridges. Ordered another that works great. First was a lemon I guess, I have them in .223 and .30cal and they work fine.

SY

I have 3 Satern funnels, and all work fine. I clean with brake cleaner, and wipe down with dryer sheet. Have not done that since they were new.

I have one of every size they sell and they all work great

You must have gotten a fluke because I have 5, .22 .243 .264 .308 .338 and have used everything from Retumbo, which flows about as smoothly as gravel, to Benchmark and US869, which both flow like water, and these funnels have been the best of ANY I have ever used hands down.

I have 5, and I had the brass get loose on one after I dropped it onto concrete. Give it, another try, you'll be glad you did

I also have multiple funnels and no issues!!

Satern's all I got so I've got nothing to compare with but mine are fine.

I must have received a fluke too. My .20 cal funnel fit and finish was bad. It looked like there was a burr completely around the brass piece where the rifle brass mates up to the funnel. But I wipe it down with a dryer sheet and smoothed out the brass part and it is GTG.

Been using the little green plastic funnel for 10 years. Works great and no holding when dumping powder.

It's a 2-piece unit. If there's a raised edge at the joint, the brass part needs to be pushed deeper into the funnel.

The two pieces can be separated by pushing the bottom brass portion up into the funnel. Then glue can be applied to the lower funnel section, drop the brass piece back through the top, and re-crimp it into place.

I just bought one and it has lateral ridges/grooves around the funnel and the kernels get hung up on them sometimes... is everyone else's a SMOOTH FINISH, or GROOVED?

I just bought one and it has lateral ridges/grooves around the funnel and the kernels get hung up on them sometimes... is everyone else's a SMOOTH FINISH, or GROOVED?
All of mine, 8, have light circular ripples. No problems whatsoever with any of them.

Sorry to hear your disappointment!
I have five of these funnels and they work flawlessly. I've thought about "upgrading" to the 21st century or Area 419 BUT the cost is prohibitive and the Satern powder funnels work perfectly.

As far as defects are concerned, can you lock the brass base in a drill, spin it, and use Scotch Brite pad to smooth things out?

Sorry to hear your disappointment!
I have five of these funnels and they work flawlessly. I've thought about "upgrading" to the 21st century or Area 419 BUT the cost is prohibitive and the Satern powder funnels work perfectly.

As far as defects are concerned, can you lock the brass base in a drill, spin it, and use Scotch Brite pad to smooth things out?
return_to_the_future_thread_necromancy.jpg