• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 11 VT .308

Cat64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
North Louisiana
Anybody has some words of wisdom regarding the above mentioned rifle? I just went by Dick's sports and they have that rifle on the shelf. Ok...what I want to do is shoot this as is for a while. Is this a decent rifle? Is it accurate right out the box. Is this a rifle you would buy for yourself? Is the action good quality? Later I would like to change the barrel and perhaps put an AI stock on. What is the screw spacing for this model? Also I saw that the barrel nut is round and does not have any slots to allow for the use of the wrench I have already. Is it easy to remove that barrel and afterwards can I replace that nut with as NSS-like barrel nut? Also I am wondering about the trigger. How low can you adjust it on this rifle? I know...so many questions. I will welcome any pertinent advise. Thank you.

Kat

The 11 is side bolt release. Fcpk has the bottom bolt release. Fcpk is fluted threaded w a brake also has accustock. Both have the accu trigger. Both should be shooters especially in a good stock or chassis. Dropped my fcpk into an XLR and it is a .5 MOA rifle.

I purchased a 10FCP-K late last year and so far have only 3 outings with the rifle but I am very pleased with it. The action on mine is very solid and smooth, I think it has a great barrel to start with, and I really enjoy the Accu trigger on Savage rifles and it is easy to adjust the weight on them if you wish. Only issue I encountered was it being difficult to cycle the bolt with some reloaded ammo I purchased, but I think this was due to the casings not being resized properly. I made a post on my rifle not long ago here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...9-my-new-long-range-rifle-savage-10fcp-k.html

I recently finally put some good ammo through it and I was able to get sub MOA groups at 100 yards with the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain SMK's. I don't know about the first rifle you mentioned but I think you would be happy with the 10FCP-K.

So the screw spacing for model 10 is 4.40 correct? Are there many after market stock options available with out any alteration of the stock? Must the barreled action be bedded if I switch the stock? Also how low can I adjust the trigger? I have a Savage target action and I love it. I can't tell if the rifle has the traditional notched nut or th round one.

Get the ADL varmint they sell, it's a much better rifle to build off of. Better action, barrels are a wash, and the Remington has more going for it in the aftermarket. It also holds a good resale value if you decide to later upgrade, the savage won't.

Dropped my fcpk into an XLR and it is a .5 MOA rifle.[/QUOTE]

How much for a stock like that. I looked at their site and it appears they sell so many diffrent options. Have a picture of your rig?

Get the ADL varmint they sell, it's a much better rifle to build off of. Better action, barrels are a wash, and the Remington has more going for it in the aftermarket. It also holds a good resale value if you decide to later upgrade, the savage won't.

I just build my first rifle (savage Fclass 6 MM BR) and I love the modular concept of switching barrels with the twist of the wrench. With Remy I believe I need a smith or a reamer correct?

I picked up an 11VT in .223 a few months ago. Its the only Savage that I left alone and didn't change anything, I mounted a scope and started shooting. For a 100% factory set up I was more than pleased with the accuracy, to the point that a new barrel is thing last thing I would consider changing. Now the details, its a bottom bolt release so stock options are limited for the time being, the barrel nut is the smooth AXIS type as well as the bottom metal/detachable mag. The stock is actually ok for factory tupperware, I wouldn't use it for sling supported shooting but off bags or a bi-pod should be fine. If anything is to be changed the first thing I would do is change the trigger, the accu-trigger is ok but a good after market unit that's light and crisp will make the biggest bang for the buck (sorry for the pun).

My 11VT was sub MOA as soon as I got it sighted in, I actually suggested the same model to a friend who just started shooting and his is just as good (all things considered).

Just to clarify and address one of your questions:

The nut is smooth but can be removed and replaced when you decide to change the barrel.

Last edited:
I just build my first rifle (savage Fclass 6 MM BR) and I love the modular concept of switching barrels with the twist of the wrench. With Remy I believe I need a smith or a reamer correct?

Once a barrel is headspaced you can spin it on and off a Remington and there's no barrel but to mess with. Spin it on and torque it down. If you want to mess with a barrel nut there are companies that do them on barrels for Remingtons.

Once a barrel is headspaced you can spin it on and off a Remington and there's no barrel but to mess with. Spin it on and torque it down. If you want to mess with a barrel nut there are companies that do them on barrels for Remingtons.

Is that first headspacing I am talking about. I want to do it all myself with out paying a smith to headspace it. Any direction on what companies do the barrel nut thing?

I will try and post a picture tonight. It is the evolution chassis w tactical buttstock. Abput$800 if I remember correctly. Don't worry about redneck he hates everything savage. By the way I have several of both and the fcpk is my favorite. They have been discontinued so there may not be a lot left out there. Sorry if I missed the 11 being a side release. I thought just a few of the 10's were bottom release.

And while I am at it, what triggers are availbe out there to change the one existing on the 10FCPK and also is there ever an inerest for people in buying the factory stock if I take the rifle apart? Just trying to stay proactive here.

There are prefit Remington barrels (Remage) that use the nut to headspace from McGowan and others

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Try the accutrigger. You may really like it. I have two with the standard accutrigger and really like it. I was not thrilled with the rifle basics I tried. Some folks have an issue fat fingering the accu trigger and locking it up. I have never had that issue and really like the way they break. Even in 20 below with gloves, I wear a fairly thin glove on my right hand, I have not had either trigger lock up on me. That being said my 10 year old locks his trigger all the time although he is getting better at it.

Try the accutrigger. You may really like it. I have two with the standard accutrigger and really like it. I was not thrilled with the rifle basics I tried. Some folks have an issue fat fingering the accu trigger and locking it up. I have never had that issue and really like the way they break. Even in 20 below with gloves, I wear a fairly thin glove on my right hand, I have not had either trigger lock up on me. That being said my 10 year old locks his trigger all the time although he is getting better at it.

I have the target Accutrigger on my 6 mm BR and simply love it. My contention with the non-target Accutrigger is regarding its ability to set it below 1 lbs. Mine is set right at 8 ounces and it delivers extremely well for me. Yeah...what is all that chatter about locking the trigger. Mine even set that low never locked.

Mine are both set just over 2 pounds. I personally don't like them any liter than that. I'm not exactly sure how low you can set them.

I was asking what screw spacing is appropriate for this rifle and can it be changed without any alterations?

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the FCP-K in the XLR chassis. Yes it is a 4.4 spacing as are all the modern 10's 11's etc. I have really enjoyed this rifle and it has been a hammer since I bought it. Mostly factory loads of 168 SMK's and 175's.

Attachments

• 100_5614.JPG
    100_5614.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Sorry, for a moment I forgot that a thread with savage in the title was automatically a fanboy party and cool people weren't permitted.

Gee sorry Redneck! You added so much to the OP's original post about two specific rifles....

Apparently that whole trigger recall thing has got your reading comprehension all goofed up. If you actually read my post I own both Rems and Savages, in fact I own more Rems. I simply stated that my favorite rifle, that other than the chassis I have had to do no additional work to, is my FCP-k. Also as a "Fanboy" you should know I am about ready to recieve a new Rem clone (GAP Hospitaller). If you can add something useful regarding the OP please chime in on the FCP-k and the model 11.

Does the XLR chassis make a difference. I've been looking at it too for my 11VT.

I only shot mine briefly with the accustock and the groups did tighten up afterwords but I think it was primarily that I felt way more comfortable behind the rifle. The XLR fits me perfectly. I would suggest getting behind some different chassis' and high end stocks to find what feels best to you. Kyle was really great to deal with as well.

Here is a pic of the FCP-K in the XLR chassis. Yes it is a 4.4 spacing as are all the modern 10's 11's etc. I have really enjoyed this rifle and it has been a hammer since I bought it. Mostly factory loads of 168 SMK's and 175's.

Very nice looking rifle. Are there any other stocks you know would fit without any alterations? Also are you familiar with the RemAge barrel? I am looking at that option as well

Does the XLR chassis make a difference. I've been looking at it too for my 11VT.

Most any chassis will make a difference. The stiffness of the platform is hard to beat, but the looks might not be for everyone. Weight can also be a consideration.

Much peace
Jimmy

Very nice looking rifle. Are there any other stocks you know would fit without any alterations? Also are you familiar with the RemAge barrel? I am looking at that option as well

I believe KRG and McCree along with the new AICS will work with the bottom release, you would need to check. Manners and McMillan will also fit you may need bottom metal as well, not sure if the manners mini chassis will work with the bottom release. As far as RemAge you would be better off to get a Shillen DGR reciever that will accept the savage prefits. It has a savage bolt (PTG) remington footprint and will work with standard savage small shank prefit barrels and nuts. That reciever will cost you as much as the whole FCP-k

The new style barrel nut has one groove, and requires a new style wrench; but otherwise it works the same as the older style.

The stock is an unknown for me, but I would guess it's acceptable, with maybe some question regarding forend flex. It's hard to tell from the internet.

Most of your questions have the same answer, it's a factory standard model 11 with the Accu-Trigger.

Would I buy one? Yes, if I were in the market for a new rifle, and it would be a .223 for me. I think this rifle is quite interesting, and your post has generated some interest in it for me; I think I'd like a modern Savage action with a bolt face suitable for 223.

As a practice/plinker, the scope would be fine, and I have some hunting rifles which could use it as an upgrade if I were to replace it on the 11 with something more suited to target/varmint work.

I generally bed any replacement stock I install, but in a couple of cases, there was no notable difference in performance afterward. These were replacement stocks that already had pillars installed.

In all honesty, I'm not the most excellent kind of shooter who could discern that kind of improvement easily, and I suspect there are a bunch of folks out there with the same questions I have about my less than stellar marksmanship.

If you already like the target Accu-Trigger, the standard Accu-Trigger should be pleasing in all aspects except the pull weight range. I would suggest that trying it before writing it off could prove beneficial. I think that ultra light trigger weights may be getting somewhat oversold. Moreover, I prefer not to base my marksmanship skill on non-standard trigger weights; light triggers have their benefits, but once the rifle comes off the bench those benefits can become drawbacks.

Some folks don't like the safety blade, I'm not one if them.

I suspect that all but the most discerning would be pleased with this factory rifle.

Greg

Last edited:
Most any chassis will make a difference. The stiffness of the platform is hard to beat, but the looks might not be for everyone. Weight can also be a consideration.

Much peace
Jimmy

Cool..... Weight is not an issue but how it performs is what matters. Plus I dig the look of the xlr too.

Update; I fell victim to my 11VT .223 coveting yesterday. My bride and I agreed on this after I did my walk through Dick's while the girls shopped in Kohl's next door.

My 11VT came with the Bushnell Sharpshooter(?) 4-12x40 mounted in what looks like Tasco 1" medium height rings on 2pc bases. The included scope objective cover cap clears the barrel by less than 1/32". This scope appears very similar visually to the Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy DOA which comes with a deer ranging reticle, and retails for $169 at Amazon. The package-mounted scope uses a pretty generic-looking plain duplex-style reticle

The factory trigger weight setting is about right for my tastes, and will not be touched unless it becomes advisable.

I mounted a low bipod, and will be shooting 50gr NosBT 26gr Varget loads, with TulAmmo 55gr that has the charge replaced with 22gr of IMR-4198 for an alternative load.

It is my plan to use this rifle for T/R in our local FV250 Match this coming Saturday.

As Varmint/Target rifles go, this one has precisely the configuration I would want, except that sometime in the very near future, the scope will be replaced with a somewhat more able example. I'll probably be starting with the Tasco 6-24x42 V/T MilDot that has been my goto scope for initial usage, with a Weaver T-24 waiting in the wings for more serious match work if the rifle's performance warrants such.

Price, complete and boresighted, was $579 and change, plus tax at the local Dick's. I have my eye on its near-identical sister in .22-250.

Greg

Last edited:
Wow, this baby SHOOTS!

I took it to the range yesterday afternoon in pretty calm conditions.

The package scope was replaced with one of my ubiquitous Tasco Varmint/Target 6-24x42 MilDot $79 scopes. After getting it sighted in, and progressively zeroed at 100yd, then 250yd, I shot a 6rd group of 3/4MOA at 250yd. A family summons to get the Grand Caravan back home for dance class cut the rest of the outing short

I am flatly astounded by the superlative performance of my new rifle on its first outing, right out of the box. I've been working a couple or three years to get my .30BR to respond this well, and it's still not there. I strongly suspect the Moeller 8-32x44 scope that's on the 30BR will find its way onto the 11VT rather quickly.

The load is my generic .223 Varmint load, commercial brass, CCI BR-4, 50gr Nosler BT, and 26.0gr of Varget. The OAL is 'I forget', but it's the same length as the TulAmmo 55gr I use a lot.

The rifle was fired from a relatively cheap UTG bipod, and I had left my rear bag at home. Total expenditure, including scope and without tax, was about $680-$700.

BTW, the 22.0gr IMR-4198 load under the TulAmmo 55gr in the steel case is overly hot, two of 5 rounds stuck the bolt. Please heed this warning accordingly.

My only beef is that the cheek weld is non-existent. I will need to add a stock pack to bring the comb height up to snuff.

Greg

Last edited:
Stole the stock pack off one of my 91/30's, along with the slip-on recoil pad. That pad may come back off as the eye relief may actually be too long with it mounted. Found a fairly large volume of my 223 Varmint load socked away, so ammo will not be an issue (probably) for another match or three.

As time permits, will test other loads with 55, 63, 69, and 75gr bullets. Does anybody know this barrel's twist? There's nothing about this rifle on the Savage site, and I didn't find anything inscribed on the barrel regarding twist.

Greg

Stole the stock pack off one of my 91/30's, along with the slip-on recoil pad. That pad may come back off as the eye relief may actually be too long with it mounted. Found a fairly large volume of my 223 Varmint load socked away, so ammo will not be an issue (probably) for another match or three.

As time permits, will test other loads with 55, 63, 69, and 75gr bullets. Does anybody know this barrel's twist? There's nothing about this rifle on the Savage site, and I didn't find anything inscribed on the barrel regarding twist.

Greg

I looked at these rifles yesterday at my local DSG... I am in the market for a 223 bolt gun. I talked myself out og it, until I can get more research done... Overnight I was convinced to get the 11 V/T in 308, but after reading your replies to this topic I will be getting the 223 today or tomorrow after work. Now I need to score up some dies, cases, bullets and primers to reload for the 223.