• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 308, RL17, 200 SMK results

GJgo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
I've been working up a new load in a new rifle.
smile.gif
It's a Savage 10FCP HS Precision 308 w/ a SS 16x op top. I've got some Win brass, CCI primers, and a jug of Reloder 17. I want to set it up for long range paper punching.

Decided to start out with some 200gr Matchkings at .010" off the lands. Unfortunately the Savage has a short throat so it's stuffed in there a ways..

First accuracy node was 44.5gr for a velocity of around 2455 fps. That was good for a couple 4 shot groups in the .5-.6" range. Above that it started to open up till it was over an inch around 46 gr., and then it shrank back down. Next accuracy node was at 48 gr. where I put 4 shots into .250" at around 2635 fps.
laugh.gif
It was pretty compressed. Have to do some backup on that one. These loads are all safe in my rifle, may not be in yours so start low & work up. No pressure signs, brass all mics out OK, easy bolt lift, seems GTG at least in these cool temps (50f today).

So far I'm happy with the results. 200 grains at over 2600 should be good past 1000K yds no problem. Considered trying the 190 SMK since my throat is short, but not sure what I'd be gaining.?.?

Re: Savage 308, RL17, 200 SMK results

FINALLY!!! Somebody posting something worth reading!!! Thanks for posting your findings.

Seriously? You're not getting any pressure signs like cratered-primers, sticky-bolts, etc... wow That's a big bullet moving really fast for a .308 win.

Let us know whether or not the performance holds as the temps increase.

EH

Nope, the brass / primers / bolt lift / headstamp all look the same on loads from 44gr up to 48gr. This has all been in cool temps so of course I'll back it up and re-test once it hits 90 out and report my findings.

One thing I was wondering though is since the load is so compressed, might I do better with magnum primers..? My SDs are pretty high but shooting at 100yds possibly hides the effects.

More testing, here's an update. Temps still in the 60s-70s here.

My stick found it's best grouping with the 200gr SMKs with 47.5gr RL17, Win brass, & BR2s running 2615 fps. Consistent 5 shot 1/2" groups. I'm not getting the slightest pressure signs till 49.5 gr, but by then the groups are poop. Going to stick with this load as it warms up this summer & see what happens.

I've also done some initial testing with the same components pushing 190 SMKs. First results are good groups around 49 grains at 2725 FPS, more fine tuning to come.

Running these loads in ballistics software to 1K it looks like the velocities are real close, windage is within an inch, but the 200 drops 20 more inches. Hmm..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bennybooboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FINALLY!!! Somebody posting something worth reading!!! Thanks for posting your findings.

Seriously? You're not getting any pressure signs like cratered-primers, sticky-bolts, etc... wow That's a big bullet moving really fast for a .308 win.

Let us know whether or not the performance holds as the temps increase.

EH </div></div>

There is a long thread about 208s and RL 17 going on in the range report/exterior ballistic forum. A few people, myself included were able to get 2700fps out of them.

My savage has a damn short throat too. I load .020 of lands and my ogive is 2.18 and coal is 2.82

thats probbly why savage shoots factory ammo so well because factory spec bullet length is very close to lands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My savage has a damn short throat too. I load .020 of lands and my ogive is 2.18 and coal is 2.82

thats probbly why savage shoots factory ammo so well because factory spec bullet length is very close to lands. </div></div>

My Savage's throat was also that short but I used a throating reamer to push it back .070".

You're on the right track, just remember, if you ever switch your brass, back WAY off on the powder. I use Lapua brass and was getting pressure signs at 48, however when it's cold out, I can run 49 grains. I backed off to 47 but I haven't done any hot weather testing yet. Right now i'm playing with 208's and Varget. Getting more accuracy, but i'm heading out tomorrow for round 2. Those velocities are nice, and I was getting as high as 2600fps from a 20" tube, but I was over the safe limits and was getting a little to crazy there.

Branden

I've been working with the same basics except 190 SMKs (I love the BC) and FGMM brass. Settled on between 46.5 and 47 gr before I ran out of RL17. I had a couple of lbs of IMR 4350, which all claim RL17 mimicks in burn rate, so continued with it. With IMR 4350 my go to load is 47 grn with 210M primers. Its around .6 at 100 and around the same at 400 (farthest I've gone out so far). I love the way the 190s buck the wind - helluva lot of difference between them and the 178 AMAXs just at 400 - can't wait to get them on the 1K line.

So I've decided to scrap this 200 SMK / RL17 project. I've never really been able to get the aggs I was looking for despite lots of charge & depth testing. Plus the ES were a bit wide. Now, we've been having some 95 degree days so I tried it in the hot. Not only did the ES go way up, but the same 47.5gr loads were running (way) around 2750 over the chrony. Still no pressure signs, but the groups were opening up from the huge ES.

Went back to some 178 Amax / Varget loads & we're still shooting good groups w/ ES in the 10-15 range so that's the direction we're headed.