• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 338lm 1650,1820 and 2050 yards!!!

Re: SAVAGE 338LM 1650YARDS!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe, what kind of groups are you getting at what distance with your 90+ loads? </div></div>

.6 to .8 moa at 200 yards

Thats pretty darn good. I am getting 1/2 moa at 300 and banging steel at a mile with pretty good authority using 87 Gr. I did have sticky bolt above 90? I must have a tightter chamber. Let us know how 2k yards go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats pretty darn good. I am getting 1/2 moa at 300 and banging steel at a mile with pretty good authority using 87 Gr. I did have sticky bolt above 90? I must have a tightter chamber. Let us know how 2k yards go!
</div></div>
You must have a tighter chamber on the rifle. I saw pressure signs at 93gr. most likely sticking somewhere around 91.5-92.0gr. This Sunday will be the test. What was your velocity at 90gr?

At 87 gr my chrony Is showing around 2680 @ 91gr 2775, I must have bypassed 90 due to poorer grouping. Did you get to shoot @ 2 k or did you get rained out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 87 gr my chrony Is showing around 2680 @ 91gr 2775, I must have bypassed 90 due to poorer grouping. Did you get to shoot @ 2 k or did you get rained out? </div></div>

It was raining earlier today. there is a lot of wind. A buddy who live up there said 25-35mph winds for tomorrow.(12th) and on top of that another storm is coming too. I hate this, bad weather on every weekend so far this year.

Had a chance to try 2000 yards yet? Real curious to see (hear about) how it does. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Medic433</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a chance to try 2000 yards yet? Real curious to see (hear about) how it does. Good luck! </div></div>

I just got back from shooting today, I shot at 1820 yards. I'll have a video up soon.

Has anyone tried Black Hills 338 Lapua ammo in their Savage 110BA?

I was wondering if there would be any value in using it as a benchmark for load development?

Just kind of looking for a good reason to justify spending ~$100 on a box to play with.

Ok guys, I shot out to 1820 yards yesterday. It was very windy and hard to hit something out to a mile. The wife and I had alot of fun. Video will be up soon.

photo.jpg

The Wife.

photo9.jpg

MY 1820 YARDS SHOT!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mx_STS5hoQw&feature=email&email=comment_received"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mx_STS5hoQw&feature=email&email=comment_received" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Very nice Joe. One of these days we will have to meet up out there.

92gr of H1000 was a bit hot in mine. I called it max at 91gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice Joe. One of these days we will have to meet up out there.

92gr of H1000 was a bit hot in mine. I called it max at 91gr. </div></div>

I was seeing hard bolt lift above 89gr of H 1000, I might have to relook into more load development?

^ Your loads seem to work well for you. Not sure you would gain that much trying to push it a few FPS more.

Just got off the phone with Bruno, got a batch of 300gr OTM's on their way to try.

What are you using for calculations?
Are you just tracing the shot or using a ballistics calculator?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonMTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using for calculations?
Are you just tracing the shot or using a ballistics calculator? </div></div>

I use JBM ballistics and adjust after that. I'm usually low using JBM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonMTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using for calculations?
Are you just tracing the shot or using a ballistics calculator? </div></div>

I use JBM ballistics and adjust after that. I'm usually low using JBM. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carvercalls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real nice shot!! </div></div>

Thanks.

At 3.702 coal what was your bullet jump measured at, in my savage that would be a huge jump.

My touching land distance is 3.810 .

Just curious to see how far that Berger can jump!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoverp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 3.702 coal what was your bullet jump measured at, in my savage that would be a huge jump.

My touching land distance is 3.810 .

Just curious to see how far that Berger can jump! </div></div>

I may have to recheck but, it was touching land at 3.725 to 3.730 I have only ran 150 rounds through the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eihcir6002</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet </div></div>

Thanks

Re: SAVAGE 338LM 1650 AND 1820 YARDS!!!

Congrats, can't wait to see the video.

Congrats on the 2000!! Cant wait for the video.. Man that's a long shot.. Your making me want a Savage 338LM.. I have looked at them at sportsman's warehouse, they look like a great gun..

Thanks guy's. It's taking a long time to upload to you tube. Should be up in a few hours. Until then here are some more pictures of the Savage 338LM. Enjoy.

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

Congratulations - these Savage 338s are amazing rifles. My Savage 338 (110FCP) impresses me every time I use it. My custom rifle has seen very little range time lately
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermag99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations - these Savage 338s are amazing rifles. My Savage 338 (110FCP) impresses me every time I use it. My custom rifle has seen very little range time lately
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks you.
grin.gif
Since I got the Savage 10ba 308 and the 110ba 338 I haven't even shot my ACR,AR-15,and not even my handguns in over a year now! Savage makes some great rifles.

Too bad savage doesn't make a .416.....

Nice job Joe, I was out in Corona all day running a Practical Pistol Comp (Corona Sportsman). Looking forward to the video.

Joe,
Congrats on the 2000 mark that's some fine shooting! How many rounds did it take you to hit? How much did you have to dial up? According to your COAL that would mean .160" jump in my 110BA. Just curious. Can't wait to the the video again Congrats! nice shooting!
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job Joe, I was out in Corona all day running a Practical Pistol Comp (Corona Sportsman). Looking forward to the video. </div></div>

Thanks. So how did you do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe,
Congrats on the 2000 mark that's some fine shooting! How many rounds did it take you to hit? How much did you have to dial up? According to your COAL that would mean .160" jump in my 110BA. Just curious. Can't wait to the the video again Congrats! nice shooting!
Sully </div></div>

Thanks Sully.

Its took 9 rounds to hit the target the first time, then I drove down to the target and took some pictures. I went back and started shooting again. It took 6 rounds to hit it in the neck and about 20 round later hit it in the right side kidney. It was hard to hit because I ran out of elevation in the Leupold. I was holding over 8 - 8.5mils from the cross-hairs. I was using the duplex 10 mil line just under the target stand. The scope was on 12X to be able to use the duplex 10 mil line. It's sucked because the scope reticle duplex covered the target. Total mils for that shot was 23.0 to 23.5 mil. at 3.702 I'm about .020 off the lands (I think). I need to check it again to see if the throat is eroding and also I may be wrong on my measurements. The video is taking a long time I'll posted it in the morning.

Joe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job Joe, I was out in Corona all day running a Practical Pistol Comp (Corona Sportsman). Looking forward to the video. </div></div>

Thanks. So how did you do?</div></div>

I feel I did very well but the results will be emailed to us in a day or two. Maybe top 1/3 rd overall, well within top 10 of the limited field. Ran my Scandium framed Commander sized S&W 1911 with full power 230gr Ball w/ 3x 8 round mags from my carry leather, not an unlimited 16 round 38 super ported race gun on a speed rig. Practice with what you carry! Oh wait, I don't live in AZ anymore
frown.gif

You really need a 30 or 40 MOA base with the kind of range you going for. That's impressive to have your scope dialed out and to hold over.

The wait is over!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGA8ZdBW68M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VGA8ZdBW68M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That is one hell of a long shot.. Congrats!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting!

Definitely a long shot, what glass are you using? </div></div>

+1 I'd like to know the specs on that scope also....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting!

Leupold mark 4

IMAG1209.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB287</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting!

+1 I'd like to know the specs on that scope also.... </div></div>

The Leupold mark 4 ER scope gives me about 9.9 of elevation and with a 20 moa base on my savage rifle, I get 15.7 mils at the crosshairs.On the 2050 yards shot the scope was 12x and I had to use the duplex 10 mils line at the bottom of the target.Hard to do. With my handloads that's about 1650yards at the crosshairs.Now I'm looking at a LaRue Tactical 20 moa psr scope mount and it should put me at 21.5mils at the crosshairs. That's about 1950 yards at the crosshairs. At holding over 5 miles on the scope reticle will be 26.5 mils at about 2150yards. If I put the scope at 12x I can use the duplex 10 mil line, that will be 31.5 mils, that's around 2300 yards!

Re: SAVAGE 338LM 1650,1820 AND 2050 YARDS!!!

Awesome video, I almost bought one of those rifles, but there were no reviews out on them when I was in the market.

Great shooting.

Do you ever experience problems with ejection or feeding?

The savage rifles I own have problems feeding from the mag and will often not eject spent brass, even when I cycle the bolt hard.

Wow Joe impressive to say the least from a out of the box rifle. Kinda makes me rethink the Remington I started building as I have always been a savage guy. Looks like I may have to talk myself into a new savage soon.

Thanks for the videos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome video, I almost bought one of those rifles, but there were no reviews out on them when I was in the market.

Great shooting.

Do you ever experience problems with ejection or feeding?

The savage rifles I own have problems feeding from the mag and will often not eject spent brass, even when I cycle the bolt hard. </div></div>

Yes. Since I'm running hot loads(92.0gr of h1000) about 8-10 rounds I get one stuck in the chamber. All lapua brass. If I run 90.0 gr of H1000 no problems at all. On hot loads I full length re-size the brass every time and anneal them every 2-3 firing.
I hope this helps.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow Joe impressive to say the least from a out of the box rifle. Kinda makes me rethink the Remington I started building as I have always been a savage guy. Looks like I may have to talk myself into a new savage soon.

Thanks for the videos </div></div>

You cant go wrong with a savage. thanks for the comment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageLapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Joe! Nice shooting! </div></div>

THANKS.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leupold mark 4 ER scope gives me about 9.9 of elevation and with a 20 moa base on my savage rifle, I get 15.7 mils at the crosshairs.</div></div>

is there an error in luepolds spec sheet they have on their website where they claim 100moa total elevation adjustment? (say +50moa/-50moa if not biased)

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...m5-front-focal/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leupold mark 4 ER scope gives me about 9.9 of elevation and with a 20 moa base on my savage rifle, I get 15.7 mils at the crosshairs.</div></div>

is there an error in luepolds spec sheet they have on their website where they claim 100moa total elevation adjustment? (say +50moa/-50moa if not biased)

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...m5-front-focal/ </div></div>

I think its wrong. Its 70 moa or 20 mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm, well that makes me wonder what i will really be getting in the 8.5-25 er/t that i just ordered. they claim 85moa. i guess i will find out tomorrow. </div></div>

Please do thanks