• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse 1 year update

shoots100

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
NYS Flatlands
Received my Impulse predator .243 April of 2021.
I'm a sucker for straight pull rifles and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the first American made straight pull rifle that uses AICS magazines.
After sighting it in with my XP38 and XG50 scopes, I decided to make it my primary rig for the late 2021 and early 2022 varmint season.
NY's coyote season runs from Oct 1st to almost the end of March.
Out of the box, the bolt was slow and also barrel heavy.
After break in, lubrication and some range time, the bolt is very smooth.
I got the barrel spiral fluted and although the fluting made it a little lighter, it's still barrel heavy.
I'm anxiously waiting for the carbon fiber X barrel to arrive to alleviate that issue.
Performance wise, the rifle operated flawlessly in weather conditions ranging from -30 to 100 degrees, during flash blizzards and rain storms.
No issues with feeding from the AICS magazines, as would be expected and I'm glad Savage made the decision to add that feature to the Impulse predator.
Accuracy wise, it's a tack driver with almost every weight projo I tried in the 65-95grn weight range, but was a one ragged hole wonder with 70 Grn NBT's, so I procured a lot of them.
Hopefully it'll shoot just as good with the X barrel that has the same twist rate as the factory barrel.
Savage has upped their game with the Impulse rifle line, but they've taken care of all of the issues that Savage rifles are known for with the Predator model using AICS magazines.
They just need to offer it with a carbon fiber barrel option to alleviate the weight concerns of hunters.
With the barrel extension and swappable bolt head features, Savage has added the ability to make it even easier to change barrels and calibers.
That's as soon as they have barrel extensions and bolt heads available for purchase.
In conclusion and after a years time of lugging it over hill + dale in upstate NY, I'm keeping my Predator.
Once the X barrel arrives, It'll be my go to varmint rifle for the foreseeable future.
IMG_1324.JPG

Well, I finally received the 20" X-caliber CF pre fit .243 barrel for my Predator.
Haven't shot it yet, as I'm waiting for the Lehigh 82 grn controlled chaos projos to arrive.
Since I live in NY and the politicians here are in a race with the west coast politicians to see how badly they can screw hunters, I decided to skip the drama and take the initiative to switch to an all copper projo for when they finally decide to stop dicking around and ban lead ammunition for hunting in NY.
I used my digital bathroom scale for weighing, but I can tell you that it's a lot less barrel heavy, which was my #1 goal.
Rifle with CF barrel and titanium linear compensator weighs in at just over 6.5 lbs .
IMG_1441.JPG
Weighs around just under 10lbs with the Halo X50 , LC and a loaded 5 round metal AICS mag, as I would be carrying it in the field.
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG

Hopefully shoots just as well, if not better with the new barrel. I'm sure we'll know after next coyote season.

I bought a 110 Timberline last year myself and set it up for the F-I-L for deer hunting out here. Feeding is a bit rough, but the action and ejection are the smoothest I've felt on a Savage. The fact that it has shot sub-MOA with all three bullets and powder charges I've tried in it just blows me away. Sometimes you get lucky.

The only reasons I bought the predator model, was because it uses AICS magazines and is the first American straight pull centerfire rifle.
My only complaint, was it being very barrel heavy.
$700 dollars and a 5 month wait for the CF barrel solved that issue.
The only issue I've had with savage rifles, is dealing with the shitty factory magazines.
Savage factory magazines suck and are a little less sucky after doing some work to them, but every rifle has always shot lights out.
I know Darkeagle makes a reliable aftermarket magazine for them, but they never have them in stock.

Since Savage isn't selling any parts to be able to change barrels on the Impulse rifles they sell, I visited a machinist friend and after almost a years time, we finally made all of the parts for the quick change barrel kit.
Barrel extension, Recoil lug and flat sided barrel nut.
I've put almost 100 Semi hot rounds through the factory .243 barrel and 50 through the .260 barrel without a hitch.
Even did some POI test's and although it was only done at 25 and 50 yards, there was no significant POI change.
Since the barrel assy has the recoil lug attached to it, you need to remove the barreled action from the stock to switch barrels.
I can change barrels in under two minutes.
Pics;

IMG_1534.JPGIMG_1533.JPGIMG_1521.JPGIMG_1520.JPGIMG_1503.JPG

Since Savage isn't selling any parts to be able to change barrels on the Impulse rifles they sell, I visited a machinist friend and after almost a years time, we finally made all of the parts for the quick change barrel kit.
Barrel extension, Recoil lug and flat sided barrel nut.
I've put almost 100 Semi hot rounds through the factory .243 barrel and 50 through the .260 barrel without a hitch.
Even did some POI test's and although it was only done at 25 and 50 yards, there was no significant POI change.
Since the barrel assy has the recoil lug attached to it, you need to remove the barreled action from the stock to switch barrels.
I can change barrels in under two minutes.

@shoots100 You have any updates on this? Has the quick change barrel kit continued to work well? Does your machinist friend have any plans of producing and selling them?

Reactions: echamp8
@shoots100 You have any updates on this? Has the quick change barrel kit continued to work well? Does your machinist friend have any plans of producing and selling them?
After initial testing, I've only used the rifle for predator hunting and I've had no issues with it so far.
I did send a few parts to get professionally black oxide coated and they look great.
After some testing with the anodized parts we might start selling kit's, but from the beginning I did this for my own use.
I didn't think there'd be enough Impulse owners interested in swapping barrels to sell them.
My rifle is in predator hunting mode now, so I'm not going to be messing around with it till predator season ends at the end of March.
I was going to buy another Impulse predator rifle and do some testing with it, but I have to many irons in the fire now.
Impulse Part 1.jpg
Impulse Part 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, if you need another beta tester, let me know.
I got a Predator in 243. I want to rig up a 22-250 barrel for it.

Shoots100-I am definitely in for 2 barrel extension kits. I have an elite on the way. Curious what the thickness is of the oem recoil lug, and have they kept the tenon length at .83"?

Shoots100-I am definitely in for 2 barrel extension kits. I have an elite on the way. Curious what the thickness is of the oem recoil lug, and have they kept the tenon length at .83"?
Impulse recoil lug width is .219".
I've had no issues head spacing four different brand small shank barrel's in my Predator's.
I'm going to start another run of parts in a week or two.

SJC

Unfortunately I didn't check the torque specs on my predator before taking it apart.
I have a friend that maybe getting one in next week, so I'll see if I can remember to ask him to test them before he sights it in.
I just checked my predator bolts and both the stock and receiver clamp bolts were around 40 in lbs, so I locked my torque wrench at 40 in lbs.
I took the rifle apart at least 50 times during testing and just tightened the bolt's till they felt tight and didn't have one issue with them loosening up during that time or the 2022 fall predator season, so that's what I'm going to stick with for my testing.

SJC

Reactions: SupressYourself
Thanks. I'm (probably unnecessarily) anal about torqueing evenly and consistently. Good and tight is probably just as good.

If you have the tools available, why not use them ?
I was testing the QC barrel parts and the accuracy tests were just a byproduct.
Now that the QC parts have been tested, I'm going to focus on accuracy and POI shift.
First I need to kill more varmints with my predator.

SJC

Reactions: Digetydog
Just got my elite 308. I will check the torque specs when I yank it apart this weekend
The chassis bolts shouldn't have thread sealant, but the receiver extension clamp bolts might.
If so, it's probably going to take a lot more torque to break those bolt's free.
Still should give you some type of indication of how tight it comes from the factory.
If you could take some pics of the extension parts so we can see if they changed anything with the elite series compared to the predator series ?

SJC

Receiver bolts were roughly 45-50 in lbs, no loctite. Bad news-My 308 elite is a large shank barrel, which means my pile of small shank barrels is not going to work until I get a small extension. Off the shelf savage barrels may only work with a thin nut, as the shank behind the front face of the lug is roughly 1.23".

Receiver bolts were roughly 45-50 in lbs, no loctite. Bad news-My 308 elite is a large shank barrel, which means my pile of small shank barrels is not going to work until I get a small extension. Off the shelf savage barrels may only work with a thin nut, as the shank behind the front face of the lug is roughly 1.23".
The OD of the Impulse predator extension is 1.225".
If you have a large shank barrel, the small shank barrel extension won't work.
You would need to make a whole new extension with the OD to fit the larger receiver and threaded for a small shank barrel.
The Savage Elite model is listed with a 338 Lapua chambering, so it needed to be large shank.
SJC

Going to be watching as well, looking hard at their straight pull offerings as that is something I just like. Not sure when I will buy one however, like the OP said so many irons in the fire.

Extension is the same OD with the large shank, who knows if they will run the lapua on this receiver. The specs on savage's site are not updated for the long action elites.

You would need to make a whole new extension with the OD to fit the larger receiver and threaded for a small shank barrel.
The Savage Elite model is listed with a 338 Lapua chambering, so it needed to be large shank.
SJC
So are you saying that ALL Impulse Elite Precision have a larger receiver, and use an extension with larger Outside Diameter, than is used in the Impulse Predator?

I understand that some of the Elite Precision cartridges require a long action

Also, do ALL the barrels used in the Impulse Elite Precision have large shanks?

The Impulse Elite Precision is available from Savage in:
6 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 308 Win, 300 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Lapua.

Last edited:
So are you saying that ALL Impulse Elite Precision have a larger receiver, and use an extension with larger Outside Diameter, than is used in the Impulse Predator?

6 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 308 Win, 300 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Lapua.
My 2 cents here: I doubt anyone (outside of a Savage contact) could answer your question definitively. My 308 Impulse elite has a large shank extension with the same OD as the small shank piece...with very little meat leftover. I believe the stock barrel on MY rifle is a "parts bin" piece, which was used on a prior rifle with a large match receiver (same spec as 100 elite precision). One could reason that the rest are also large shank, seeing how they are all spec'd the same. The LA elites will need a longer bottom port with a reworked receiver (probably why they are not yet available), and I couldn't imagine they are using the same extension with the Lapua.

B7's 308 Elite has the same outer dimensioned extension as the Predator's, but threaded for a large shank barrel.
The Elite receiver B7 has cannot be larger if the same extension fits in the Predators receiver.
Not a lot of meat there if they plan to use the same small shank extension with it chambered in 338 Lapua.
All Savage target actions and rifles that are chambered for 338 lapua use large shank barrels.
I'm assuming Savage must have made a larger receiver for the 300 PRC and 338 Lapua chambered Elite models, but I've never seen one, so who knows.

SJC

Reactions: E6Chevron
Savage Impulse Big Game rifle.
6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 147 ELDM / Avg MV 2700 FPS
Vortex Viper PST 5-25X
Burris Signature rings
Boyd's Agility rifle stock
Boyd's Agility vertical adjustment butt plate with 1" rubber butt pad
Smith Enterprises flash hider
Turner Biothane sling
I forgot where I got the after-market bold handle knob

IMG_3841.jpg
IMG_3844.jpg
IMG_3846.jpg
IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

Savage Impulse Big Game rifle.
6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 147 ELDM / Avg MV 2700 FPS
Vortex Viper PST 5-25X
Burris Signature rings
Boyd's Agility rifle stock
Boyd's Agility vertical adjustment butt plate with 1" rubber butt pad
Smith Enterprises flash hider
Turner Biothane sling
I forgot where I got the after-market bold handle knob

View attachment 8073930View attachment 8073931View attachment 8073933View attachment 8073934View attachment 8073935View attachment 8073936
View attachment 8073939
Is the stock specific to Impulse or the 110 footprint fits?

Is the stock specific to Impulse or the 110 footprint fits?
It is specific to the Impulse. If you go to the web site look for the ribbon / row just below the top of the screen that says "Build & Price."

You will want to choose:

Make - Savage
Model - Impulse (Note: there are two choices in the drop down list: Impulse and Impulse Predator)
Choose Action - If you chose the Impulse in the previous drop-down list the only option here will be Long Action Detachable Magazine Heavy Barrel. If you chose Impulse Predator in the previous drop-down list the only option will be Short Action DBM AICS Heavy Barrel.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Reactions: HotelPapa

SJC

Extension is the same OD with the large shank, who knows if they will run the lapua on this receiver. The specs on savage's site are not updated for the long action elites.

Yes, it's the same OD as yours
To summarize.

Birch7 has a 308 Impulse Elite Precision which uses a large shank barrel and extension.

That extension has the same OD ( 1.225" ) as on Shoots100 243 Win Impulse Predator with a small shank barrel.

The above firearms are both Short Action Receivers.
. The Impulse Predator only comes in Short Action calibers.
. SOME of the Elite Precision are built for Short Action calibers.
... 6 Cm, 6.5 Cm, 6.5 PRC, 308 Win.
... 300 Win Mag _______ Long Action calibers
.. 300 PRC, 338 Lapua _ Magnum Action

Last edited:
@shoots100 What did you do for a barrel nut wrench? The nut on my Impulse is different from my model 12, and my barrel nut wrench doesn't look like it's going to work. :mad:

I made a flat sided barrel nut for the Impulse, so I used a pipe wrench to remove the factory nut.
If you heat it with an electric heat gun, it comes of with minimal resistance and marring if your going to reuse it.
SJC

For those interested, I made a rough video about adjusting the Impulse trigger. With the little Accutrigger tool thing I was only able to get down to 3.5 pounds. Then I took it apart and discovered something interesting that got it below 2 pounds.

Reactions: fclassparadise
For those interested, I made a rough video about adjusting the Impulse trigger. With the little Accutrigger tool thing I was only able to get down to 3.5 pounds. Then I took it apart and discovered something interesting that got it below 2 pounds.
Both of my predator rifles came with an average trigger pull weight of 1-3/4 lb out of the box.
Bought in 2021 and 2023.
Did you try the drop test after you removed the spring ?

SJC

I did not... maybe I'm misunderstanding what exactly that means, but I'm not about to purposely drop my rifle on the ground.
I wasn't able to get under 3# by adjusting it. Do yours have that extra spring?

That would be a barrel up drop onto buttpad. Mine was fine. Thanks for the spring video. This thing still needs a Triggertech, but I feel more match ready with the lighter trigger

With my loosely tuned guesstimator, after loosening and tightening progressively higher.
So you didnt put a witness mark on the bolts, loosened them, then tightened to the marks noting how much torque it took to line up? Cause thats how you figure this out. Any other DIY method gives the wrong answer and I figured other Impulse users would like to know that.

How much are your impulse extension bolts torqued?
Irrelevant

Reactions: Birch7
I torque both the receiver extension clamp and stock bolts to 45 In lbs.
I've used that setting since day one and haven't had an issue during 2 plus years of field use, hundreds of rounds fired between a lot of barrel/caliber swaps, which constitutes the removal of the barreled action from the stock.
Because not everyone carries a torque wrench in the field, I did some 100 yard accuracy testing after tightening the bolts to as tight as I could by hand with a T handle Allen wrench too.
No issues.
I torque the bolts because I want to keep some uniformity in my testing, but out to 100 yards, it's not needed.

SJC