• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse

The predator is 6.5cm. Have yet to inservice it on coydogs, waiting on a few parts and pieces.
I'm thinking about getting that in .308.

If I had to do it over again, I would have got the Pro-Varmint stock that Boyd's makes for the Big Game.

The reason for that is that the drop on the comb for the Pro-Varmint is a little less than the Agility.

With that said, I think I could put a suppressor on the Predator with higher rings to keep it out of the scope's field of view. The cheek weld should not be as much of an issue with the Pro-Varmint compared to the agility.

The other thing about the Predator is the shorter barrel. Hopefully that will help keep the suppressor out of the scope's field of view.

Do you have a suppressor on your rifle? If so, do you have any issues with it getting in the scope's field of view?

I'm thinking about getting that in .308.

If I had to do it over again, I would have got the Pro-Varmint stock that Boyd's makes for the Big Game.

The reason for that is that the drop on the comb for the Pro-Varmint is a little less than the Agility.

With that said, I think I could put a suppressor on the Predator with higher rings to keep it out of the scope's field of view. The cheek weld should not be as much of an issue with the Pro-Varmint compared to the agility.

The other thing about the Predator is the shorter barrel. Hopefully that will help keep the suppressor out of the scope's field of view.

Do you have a suppressor on your rifle? If so, do you have any issues with it getting in the scope's field of view?
No suppressor here. I wish.

With MDT making the elite chassis, they already have the impulse inlet design for the chassis, so I am really hoping for some chassis/stock offerings in the future from them.

Is the 20moa rail what’s causing your issue? For mounting my thermal I’ve got a -20moa cantilever mount coming to offset that factory elevation. Is that an option in the scope ring world?

No suppressor here. I wish.

With MDT making the elite chassis, they already have the impulse inlet design for the chassis, so I am really hoping for some chassis/stock offerings in the future from them.

Is the 20moa rail what’s causing your issue? For mounting my thermal I’ve got a -20moa cantilever mount coming to offset that factory elevation. Is that an option in the scope ring world?

I called MDT to see about offerings for the Predator. The only one that they have is the ACC Premiere. However, you can only get that by purchasing the complete Elite Precision Impulse rifle that Savage offers.

Like you, I'd like to get an aftermarket chassis from either them or someone else in the future.

I already have a few precision rifles in a chassis. So I have no desire for the Savage Elite Precision. My rifles also sport 26" barrels like the Savage Elite.

I found out really fast that I need a folding buttstock on the longer barreled rifles with a suppressor. They cannot be carried with a sling, muzzle-down, because of dragging the ground. I'm 5'9" and not tall enough to sling those rifles unless the buttstock folds.

The 20 MOA rail isn't causing the problem with the suppressor / field of view issue. I have suppressors on my chassis equipped rifles with Burris extra high signature rings. With the inserts in the rings, I'm getting about 60 MOA of cant.

The extra high rings keep the suppressor out of the field of view. The adjustable cheek piece on those rifles gets my cheek bone high enough to still support good contact with the cheek piece.

The Boyd's Agility doesn't have a high enough cheek piece to solve that problem. So now I have an extra suppressor that needs another rifle:)

I called MDT to see about offerings for the Predator. The only one that they have is the ACC Premiere. However, you can only get that by purchasing the complete Elite Precision Impulse rifle that Savage offers.

Like you, I'd like to get an aftermarket chassis from either them or someone else in the future.

I already have a few precision rifles in a chassis. So I have no desire for the Savage Elite Precision. My rifles also sport 26" barrels like the Savage Elite.

I found out really fast that I need a folding buttstock on the longer barreled rifles with a suppressor. They cannot be carried with a sling, muzzle-down, because of dragging the ground. I'm 5'9" and not tall enough to sling those rifles unless the buttstock folds.

The 20 MOA rail isn't causing the problem with the suppressor / field of view issue. I have suppressors on my chassis equipped rifles with Burris extra high signature rings. With the inserts in the rings, I'm getting about 60 MOA of cant.

The extra high rings keep the suppressor out of the field of view. The adjustable cheek piece on those rifles gets my cheek bone high enough to still support good contact with the cheek piece.

The Boyd's Agility doesn't have a high enough cheek piece to solve that problem. So now I have an extra suppressor that needs another rifle:)
I see, yeah ultimately I’m after their HNT26 chassis for the impulse.

I’ve mounted my thermal once to the impulse and get just enough cheek rise out of the stock riser options. But like I said with the 20moa rail, it’s really unnecessary for thermal hunting. I can’t remember if I could see the end of the barrel or not through the scope. So the new mount offsets that 20moa back to 0moa. And brings it back closer to my eye for proper eye relief.

Time will tell once im able to bring it in the field.

Reactions: Longshot231
I have a Predator in 6.5 Creed as well. It shoots pretty well. However, I keep waiting for the 300 WSM or 300 PRC to show up. They claim it's chambered for both but I've never seen one available. All the other calibers use small shank barrels, including the 300 Win Mag. Only the Impulse chambered in 300 WSM or 300 PRC will use the large shank. The Impulse Elite is the same way. I've never seen one of those available for any of the larger calibers that require the large shank barrels. I have a crap load of large shank barrels I want to try on the Impulse action.

Reactions: Longshot231
My Impulse Elite 308 was a large shank. I imagine you may be waiting awhile on the PRC, as it looks like it will be on a longer action.

After some load dev, I finally started shooting my Impulse Predator in 243 for real. It's a lot of fun to shoot. 58 grain v-max at 3850 is going to be hell on prairie dogs.

Reactions: Modoc