• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition Savage Model 12 FT/R Review

Re: Savage Model 12 FT/R Review

You should join up on the site
smile.gif

Nice looking rifle!
wink.gif
I've got the same gun and love it! Post up once you find some ammo/loads it likes. FGMM 168's do amazingly in it but still working on something that will get me out to 1,000 on paper.

Rice: Try Berger 155.5's over Varget in Winchester brass. Work up from 46 grains of Varget, you'll find some *very* accurate loads in that range.

While competitive shooters run these bullets over 3000 fps (or higher), if you get some good small groups from a 2950 fps load, you'll do well at 1000!

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Darrell Buell..wow! I was just watching your youtube video, weird.
THANKS for the info! I don't handload yet but am convincing myself more every day that I need to get over the voodoo of it and get started. I will for sure start with your recipe.

What padding are you using on your cheek rest? The factory plastic piece is a little odd shaped for my face and quite slippery when I'm sweating...been looking for something about that thick to put on it.

I installed kartsen cheek rests on my 2 f/tr rifles and am very happy with them vs the hard factory ones.

Rice: I am lucky, the factory cheek piece happens to fit me well, so I have a thin piece of "moleskin" like foam that I have glued down. This has sorted out any problems I've had in hot and/or rainy conditions.

As Matt says though, the Karsten's adjustable cheek pieces are outstanding, a couple of the Team guys run them.

Don't make reloading too complex... it really doesn't have to be hideously expensive, or over-complicated. My best competition rounds come off a simple RCBS single stage press (granted, with Redding dies, etc.). Once you get the basics down, you can feel free to make it as much of a science as you like!

Darrell

I want to see someone make a mock up of this video with their other rifles.

Something like the 10pc in 308, 12lrp in 243, 10fcp in the mcmillan, then the 12f/tr.
Guy shoots 2 plates, moves over to the next gun, shoots 2 plates ... so on. All one video feed, consecutive, we don't want any cheaters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them all do it as well.

Then say, "If you think these are the same ole Savages, well then you'd be goddamn right, because they are"

Lol
laugh.gif
That would be a good line at the end, And educational, all at the same time. I agree that all those rifles are probably very capable of doing it aswell. I'd like to see that video myself.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rice: I am lucky, the factory cheek piece happens to fit me well, so I have a thin piece of "moleskin" like foam that I have glued down. This has sorted out any problems I've had in hot and/or rainy conditions.

As Matt says though, the Karsten's adjustable cheek pieces are outstanding, a couple of the Team guys run them.

Don't make reloading too complex... it really doesn't have to be hideously expensive, or over-complicated. My best competition rounds come off a simple RCBS single stage press (granted, with Redding dies, etc.). Once you get the basics down, you can feel free to make it as much of a science as you like!

Darrell
</div></div>

Ok, I am sourcing something to glue on mine as well..I think this will make a huge improvement. After dry firing the gun the other night, I think the sweat was the culprit versus the shape. Worst comes to worst I will get a Karsten adj piece...thanks.

Lol, well that does ease my nerves a little bit...I would for sure just get a single stage and take my time. I guess the voodoo of it is where do I draw the line on "must have" reloading equipment. I have a problem with going way over my head on that before even getting started hehe. Step one: admitting I have a problem!

Thanks again for your help, God bless,

-Jarrod

I would like to see Savage build the 12 F Open on a long action (112 F-Open) and use the same barrel length with a 1:9" .280 Rem barrel. I think that could provide LR performance on a new, higher plateau.

For my purposes, a D/M could be desirable; but for truly best accuracy a solid bottomed single shot action would probably be better. Some folks, myself included, might also like to see how this action length and barrel length/chambering might work in an Accu-Stock.

If I could afford to fit out a new youth rifle team, my primary trainers would be Stevens 300's.

I have two D/M SA's (.260 Rem and 7.62x39) and really think the A-S provides a genuine accuracy benefit. I have no intention of altering the action screws on mine from their factory settings for as long as possible, my rifles just perform so well as-is.

Greg