• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage owners with extraction ejection problems. (Sharp Shooter Supply fix)

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
This rifle has never ejected a case properly in its 8 year life, I have tried replacing the same with new Savage parts a few times over the years and no improvement. I just installed the SSS enhanced ejector and extractor kit on my 223 10 FP bolt, man it throws cases out of the chamber with authority. Just a notice to all, if you have weak or non existent extraction and ejection go ahead and get this kit first. Unbelievable fix.

Took aweek, just emailed them, asking them how to order it, they responded in a day telling me to fill out the forum with what I want and cc info and send it in, a week later it was here. Tried calling but no answer.

I don't even know the price but think I remember 15 for three sets, I could be wrong . Let me try to find the info.

Not rying to be a smart ***, but the web site tells you that they will answer calls on a specific day and at what times as well as how to e-mail and or order. They are very busy. Good folks to do business with.

Yeah, smartass away, I know how to read and called during their posted times, they were just busy as I was so email worked for me. Call away.

Not rying to be a smart ***, but the web site tells you that they will answer calls on a specific day and at what times as well as how to e-mail and or order. They are very busy. Good folks to do business with.

Just did the 308, man the brass comes out about half the power of my M1A, SSS has a winner with this kit.

Did your rifle have a sticky bolt or was it just not throwing the brass out of the action well? Curious what problems it cures.

Sent from my POS phone using Tapatalk 2

well the savage and my 700 are not nearly as smooth as the Winny but only get the sticky bolt when I am hot loading. The issue was not ejecting the spent shell, take the shot pull shell and it would drop off in the mag well and have to be removed by hand, all my savages suffered this same issue, now the shell pulls out and gets thrown clear of the chamber.

Did this affect precision at all? When shooting FL sized or factory ammo, wouldn't the stronger ejector push the cartridge slightly cock-eyed in the chamber?

I have Savage 12 F-Class chambered in 6BR. I had a second barrel (Krieger) fitted for it and made it into a switch barrel. The Krieger barrel is chambered in .284 Winchester. Weird thing is, the .284 ejects just fine. The 6 BR won't eject at all. Since its a single shot target rifle, not really a big deal, but I have been curious as to why this would happen. No changes where made to the bolt.

Reactions: Hardshot
Did this affect precision at all? When shooting FL sized or factory ammo, wouldn't the stronger ejector push the cartridge slightly cock-eyed in the chamber?

If it does then you got bigger fish to fry. The chamber would have to be ridiculously loose for an ejector pin to play any role.
It'd like to see what you all are talking about with poor ejection, because every savage i ever had had what i considered prefect ejection. I can reach under my rifle with my supporting hand and catch the brass as it ejects. And with my lapua brass i definitely don't want it getting flung 3 yards off to the side!
Now, primary extraction - that's a different animal entirely and has nothing to do with any part of the bolt head and everything to do with the primary extraction cam, the angled ramp on it and the bolt handle, and timing. And all of that can be fixed at home.

Last edited:
Well, the symptom is that after firing a round I would pull the shell out, it would not really slam against the side but just kind of drop off the extractor ans sit in the mag well. The kit has a new larger ball for the extractor and a new designed ejector with a different strength spring. Its easy ro install with a large paper clip for the ejector and a punch for the extractor. Its a Savage so its a good shooter out of the box.

Bumping from the dead to say I got 3 of these kits (act of frigging Congress, but thats another story) and it does seem to greatly improve ejection on my long action 223AI.

Hehehehe, yeah, it does take a bit, I think Fred the owner has some health issues, everything I got from these guys has been a huge improvement. I wont tell you how nice the fishnet bolt body improves the smoothness of the bolt hehehe. It took me 3 months to get it but well worth the wait.

Has anyone ordered one recently? Just wondering if this is the best option or if there are other options that might be better.

The best option is to sell or throw your Savage in the trash, and buy a Remington (inexpensive) or custom action.

The best option is to sell or throw your Savage in the trash, and buy a Remington (inexpensive) or custom action.
092C64C1-7FCF-47A5-A658-CDDA72D60EC3.gif

Has anyone ordered one recently? Just wondering if this is the best option or if there are other options that might be better.

Tactical works kit did an excellent job of getting my old savage back in the game, in fact it’s ejecting cases better than new now.

Holy thread resurrection.
You could always check with kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks (if he is even in business).
savages were once the darlings here of the DIY crowd, then came remage, then custom actions began to become more popular as folks discovered that they put as much money into a remington as it cost just to buy something done right the first time.

I can agree for several cartridges, but for a 338 Lapua the giant cost increase is not worth the small gains for my intended use.

Last edited: