• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes saving for my dream scope

cowboy25actual

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
after looking at a lot scopes ,,i think im going to go with,IOR 4-28 x 56mm MX-7 is the world's first 7x zoom factor riflescope. 40mm maintube and 80 MOA range,, ,,this things huge,,if i cant hit any thing with it,ill take it off and beat the target to death.,,i like the 40mm tube,and 56 on the obj,,hope this gives me good low light capability,,anyone own one of these IOR,,,,does it come with tacical look,,, cool points?,, Dont beat me up too bad on this guys,, they looked well made,,and been around awhile,,,thanks guys

Re: saving for my dream scope

may i ask, why an ior? ive been told there really not that good. for the same abount of money why not get a us optics built to your specks?

I had a 3-18 IOR and the glass was really nice, and I like the reticle...
I now have a USO 3-17.... I thought the IOR was well built, until I got the USO
grin.gif

Save up, get the USO, you won't regret it.....

well,,theyd been in business for along time,i ve read that,the glass is really good,,ill look at the uso,,ok ok ok ill admit it,,i was suckerd by,the 40 mm tube ok ok i said it,,ru happy now lololol,,brother ill take all the input you got,,i like hearing from people,that have the higher end scope,,there a lot out there,,so when i put down the cash id like to make a good choice,,id ,really like to get ,your veiws...thanks

If its your dream, go for it...
If not really, look around some more.
Chad

Check out the USO or even Nightforce.

I don't have any experience with IOR, but the feedback is nowhere near what the first two have. Also with USO you get a US made scope from a kickass company.

40mm tube you will never be able to find aftermarket rings for it unless you have some custom built. With the 40mm tube the scope is going to be mounted very high and you will need to find a way to get your cheek piece up that high. I have a USO 35mm tube and that is pushing it in regards of low profile and cheek piece height. If you want this scope to sit on a range rifle and shoot paper targets at your leisure it will probably work just fine. If you need a durable, reliable field scope a USO will be much better. The customer service can't be beat either... I have shot with IOR's and they are nice scopes but I would only rate them a little higher thn Leupolds. For the $2300 price tag of the IOR you can have a fully loaded USO SN-3 that will give you much better performance. FWIW

Edited to add: Where do you live? I'm sure there is a member nearby who let you take a look at their USO or IOR for comparison...

+1 for USO... had a couple of IOR's, made the jump to USO's and now i will NEVER go back... you will be nothing but pleased with USO...

Keep saving and get a Premier 5-25 when they come out in a month or so.Better put your order in now.I had the pleasure of fondling a prototype at the NRA show and everything about them is fantastic!Many features that are well thought out.Find the thread on the Hide here and see.

Steve

This is a USO oriented board and why? Because most of the shooters on this page shoot a lot, have done so as a career and have tried all of the other scopes...I came to these forums several months ago with a developing interest in long range shooting and lurked around drinking up as much knowledge about scopes as I could...I originally wanted a Leupold and then a S&B but after reading the posts and comparisons, I bought a great USO TPAL...and found I liked the forum so much I decided to stick around...to everyone's detriment...my advice: this is a big investment and don't do it impulsively...spend a couple of weeks on here reading and asking questions (like you are now) and then decide...my guess is that you'll get a USO...if you do want one from the classifieds here watch every hour because they're sold as soon as they're posted and the prices are GREAT...if you miss one that you wanted before it sold let the seller know that you'll take it if the deal falls through...that's how I got mine through a sale that wasn't completed...and I couldn't be more pleased with it!!!

USO American made
buy once cry once
always has resale value others like IOR do not...

USO was my dream scope, something I planned to save up for a long time for, but then fate intervened...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just picked it up during lunch today and couldn't be happier!

USO52109001.jpg

USO52109003.jpg

USO52109009.jpg

i think im going to look into uso,,you guys have owned and shot a lot,,sound like uso is the way to go,,the rookie shall listen..lol thanks guys

oh yeah one more thing,,pete could you send me the bubble wrap,that was in you uso scope box,so i can at least smell what a real scope is,,lol

Sorry Cowboy, I'm trying to soak up the new scope smell myself...
laugh.gif

M.45, I'm finally getting to experience what you have experienced just recently. Still pinching myself thinking this is a dream. Now I just need a rifle built worthy of this scope. Eventually I would like to look through some S&Bs and Premiers outside of the SHOT show, but for now I am very satisfied.

Check out USO Cowboy; better yet, get to know the guys there and get the experience for yourself. I've bugged them for at least two years now without ever dropping a dime and they were glad to help every time.

I have a USO canadian and an IOR SH edition. I prefer the IOR. I just like it. Don't know why for sure, just do.

My dream scope is and always was USO (w/ S&B PMII right on it's heals) since I first heard of USO back around 1997 or so when reading/visiting over Snipercountry.com. I could never afford one no matter how hard I tried to save, times were & are tough. But I finally ordered a nicely spec'd out ST-10 and should have it in hand in June. No it's not the top of the line ultra adjustable variable with all the bells and whistles but it will do what I want & need it to.

So maybe a dream scope is a tough thing. The industry is always coming up with new and better so the dream just keeps being stretched for some of us with not so deep pockets. So my dream continues but will accept what I have and not dwell.

my .02¢

We might have a lot of shooters on this forum, but we have an awful lot of gear queers, too.

Good glass is great and all, but I'd rather be out at the range shooting than staring at a $5000 stick that I couldn't afford to feed.

Most of the people buying high dollar gear on this site are shooters that spent years working with lesser equipment to get GOOD before they bought a nice piece of equipment like USO.

hey down zero,,i know i need alot of work on stuff like rezeroing ,etc,,and lots of practice,and i hear what your saying and agree ,with lots of fancy stuff,im just trying to get,the scope thing down and know my way around the scope,,im learning,,,,probally, a day with an expert ,would get me on the right road,,,,ive taken my millett on and off several times and im trying to figure the best way to rezero to factory zero or mech zero,,and start agian,,god i hope i used right terms ,,lol thanks for all your comments and input,,im out here in the sticks,,, so not alot of clubs that i know of.

Downzero you make a good point and a lot of it has to do with the level of commitment to shooting...I wanted a scope I could grow into rather than a scope someday I would grow out of and I have been a committed shooter all my life...but you are right; if someone is just nibbling at long range shooting they should start lower down the food chain because it might be an expensive dust collector someday...I'll be the first to tell you that my scope is still way out of my league but we're all a work in progress and I'm learning more about it everyday...now if I could just find where I left that great smelling bubblewrap...

I have same problem and had same question as you and will have to decide which one i'll buy.

Basicly it boils down to details, warranty, location, local price etc... I used to buy a lot of stuff from US when $/€ was good but lately i've found more and more sites unwilling to ship items to Europe and $ went up and if you add 20% tax and 5-15% customs fees plus shipping costs its just too much. Scopes above certain price point will all perform and i think if one is on the budget it's better to save a bit of money on initial gear and spend more on ammo and shooting time. You can always sell used scope and upgrade later if needed.
I've decided to go with IOR 4-28x56 mostly because of the price and location of dealer (Austria) as for quality i think NF would be better but i would have serious problems if i ever needed to send it back under warranty or any general repair. S&B and USO will have to stay somewhere deep on the wannahave list for times when either IOR fails to perform or i'll have enough money to warrant such a purchase (and some talking skills to convince my wife...).

Good point on new shooters starting with lesser equipment. I started out with a Leupold because I was 17 and couldn't afford anything else. However I do see a fair amount of shooters that can afford better equipment but settle for inexpensive gear. If you can afford quality equipment (even if it means saving for a few months) there should be no question as to what you should get.

What a coincidence, I am saving up for my dream scope too. Been saving for a long time, still got a long way to go. I'll have it one day:

tasco-4x15-rimfire.jpg

hey Jimmy, I think I got one of those in the "junk box" in the garage. PM me your addy and I will brush the cat hair off of it and sent it to you!

There is a lot to be said about getting what you can afford and getting rounds downrange. HOWEVER, you have to know where to draw the line. I have been shooting for quite some time. I learned long range on government equipment so I had some pretty good stuff. My current bolt gun wears a Falcon Menace. I had decided that the Falcon would get me shooting and work for the training I had planned until I could afford a USO. Fate also smiled on me and in another six to seven weeks I should have my new SN-3.

If he can afford it, there is nothing wrong with a new shooter getting the best gear as long as he can still afford ammo. It will help with the learning process because equipment issues can be almost eliminated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey Jimmy, I think I got one of those in the "junk box" in the garage. PM me your addy and I will brush the cat hair off of it and sent it to you!

There is a lot to be said about getting what you can afford and getting rounds downrange. HOWEVER, you have to know where to draw the line. I have been shooting for quite some time. I learned long range on government equipment so I had some pretty good stuff. My current bolt gun wears a Falcon Menace. I had decided that the Falcon would get me shooting and work for the training I had planned until I could afford a USO. Fate also smiled on me and in another six to seven weeks I should have my new SN-3.

If he can afford it, there is nothing wrong with a new shooter getting the best gear as long as he can still afford ammo. It will help with the learning process because equipment issues can be almost eliminated. </div></div>

My post was completely a joke and meant in good natured jest.

laugh.gif

Ofcourse line must be drawn but once you go beyond 1000$ mark you are pretty much good to go and if one is on the budget and starting out i'd say it might be better to just go out and purchase "el cheapo" and start shooting and later sell and upgrade to s&B or USO or whatever your poison is named. If i had decision to make either i save for another three months and buy S&B and no shooting or buy IOR or leupold MK4 now and start shooting i'd choose shooting anytime...but to each their own...

PS: I'm going to buy IOR in a couple of weeks so i'll try to do review with some pics if anyone is interested in this particular scope or if it turns out to be crap to forewarn any potential buyers.

I'm glad everyone took my post with a grain of salt. I'm sure USO makes some great optics, but every time someone posts on here about how they want to buy a scope, it's not necessary to swing USO's nuts in their face.

This ain't arfcom. There are some real shooters here...and it'll take an awful long time for you to out grow a super sniper or a $800-1000 variable. I know that I'm still working with a $600 one and I have a long way to go.

My advice to new shooters:
Get a good rifle (700P or 5R, or a Salvage) in a stock that fits you. Get a reliable, repeatable scope (my recommendation is SuperSniper 10 or 16X), save fancy for later when you know what you want/need. Get good base/rings, a bipod and a read bag.

Take the money you saved by not getting what everyone else likes and buy reloading equipment and components, learn to make a reliable sub-moa load.

Shoot alot. Get some training or pointers from someone in your AO that shoots precision rifle (have them hit a clay pigeon or two at 400-500yds to weed out the wannabe's in your AO).

Once you've gotten an idea of what you want/need, you will have an idea of what you want/need.

oh,
why do you keep talking/asking about rezeroing and mechanical zero of scopes. If you are talking about removing a scope and reinstalling it to zero, that's not too hard, but it starts off with good rings/base.
Mount your scope with repeatable torque values and mount it level/plumb.
When you remove it, remount it the same way-with good rings/base you should be within 1moa of your original zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We might have a lot of shooters on this forum, but we have an awful lot of gear queers, too.

Good glass is great and all, but I'd rather be out at the range shooting than staring at a $5000 stick that I couldn't afford to feed.

Most of the people buying high dollar gear on this site are shooters that spent years working with lesser equipment to get GOOD before they bought a nice piece of equipment like USO. </div></div>

"The user makes the tool, the tool does not make the user."

One of my main points when I was a guide and outdoor instructor. It is a simple concept but it is amazing how many do not understand it.

But even believing this, I still went ahead and ordered a GAP and USO. Will they make me any better? I sure hope so but it was disposable income that I acquired from selling 30 years of collected kit and nothing ever gets cheaper so I decided to drop the coin. Many times I think I should have used the coin to buy cases of ammo. But then again, being retired on min income, no way I would ever be able to afford GAP / USO, I made the right choice. And, ammo is not avail anyway even if I wanted to buy it all up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And, ammo is not avail anyway even if I wanted to buy it all up. </div></div>

If you haven't figured it out by now, ammo for that stick is made...not bought.

Exactly.

If you are not factory sponsored or government funded, reloading equipment is mandatory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My post was completely a joke and meant in good natured jest.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I kinna figured that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And, ammo is not avail anyway even if I wanted to buy it all up. </div></div>

If you haven't figured it out by now, ammo for that stick is made...not bought. </div></div>

You are correct. I got a new kit last fall with my welfare check. Since then the stuff to roll it has dried up of course. I have plenty of brass bones though. Ammo at least comes in small but almost regular intervals so far now, instead of looking for reload just making more bones. Reloading for rifles is just not avail period. Its so bad here, one gun shop actually had fisticuffs between customers over Varget.

ok first ,,thanks guys for the input,im listening and learning,,i resorted to the v in the box to get it back into the norms,,it was way out there,re bore sighted it,,will go out in morning and throw some rounds,, and get my poor lil millett 6-25-56 mil dot,hitting paper good.once i get that done ill work on,shooting,we leveled and torgued the rail and rings too,,trying to get everything right,,you know now im thinking,getting a another savage in the police series in 308,an get a super sniper scope and shoot shoot shoot,work on my reloading too,had to get a reloader 300wsm wasnt very cheap round,,anyway,thanks for the input and not beating up the rookie too bad