• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR b olt action in NY state??

Why would you even want to mess around even if there is a loop hole, get caught and the legal fees alone would sink you even if you are right.

Why would you even want to mess around even if there is a loop hole, get caught and the legal fees alone would sink you even if you are right.
I’m just trying to figure shit out to be able to own some cool shit. That’s all. But I did find out an interesting piece of information….

So after talking more with the detective he did state that the rifle over 26” with a shorter barrel might be the gray area but that is a question left to someone with more knowledge about the law than him.

Lastly he left me with the peoples republic of New York’s newest law that I didn’t even know existed

It has to do with guns nothing being illegal in New York State unless they have issued you a license which comes with a shit ton of other requirements, laws and stipulation.

Time to move.. fuck this state

Attachments

• A613.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
If you have a pistol permit you can have a rifle caliber pistol as long as you owned it before unsafe act.
What?

You‘re talking about semi automatics over a certain weight, but I have to wonder if you know that’s what you’re talking about?

(though there are some counties with their own rules and they disregard the weight and just say no across the board)

Not true.. the Remington tac-13 and shockwave both have barrels less than 16”

There are other requirements….
And those are no longer legal in NY under the newest laws passed. Ex-Trooper I know had his confiscated stemming from an issue with his tenant he was trying to evict and now NYS won’t give it back saying it falls under an AOW and is now illegal so he has to sign it over to the state or have an FFL transfer it out of state

Are'nt almost all short barrel bolt actions sold as "Pistol" with brace??What's the problem?A friend has 2,bought at LGS....in .300Wh a lot of fun.

So after talking more with the detective he did state that the rifle over 26” with a shorter barrel might be the gray area but that is a question left to someone with more knowledge about the law than him.

Lastly he left me with the peoples republic of New York’s newest law that I didn’t even know existed

It has to do with guns nothing being illegal in New York State unless they have issued you a license which comes with a shit ton of other requirements, laws and stipulation.

Emailed my local (he’s a detective)c ontact and this is what I got in response

No, it is NOT legal.
Having ANY rifle with a barrel less than 16, would classify it as an SBR.
The answer can be found in the definition section of PL 265.00 sub 3
The NY firearms laws can often be confusing. One of the main reasons is because the NY Penal Law has its own unique definition of FIREARM.
Under NY Penal Law, a FIREARM should be thought of as something illegal to possess without a special permit.
Per NY Penal Law a FIREARM is:
a) Pistols and revolvers that are not on a permit.
b) Shotguns with a barrel less than 18”.
c) Rifles with a barrel less than 16”.
d) Rifle or shotguns with an overall length of less than 26”
e) Assault Rifles not registered under the Safe Act.

Therefore you may not possess a rifle with a barrel less than 16”. It should be noted that putting a stock on a legally registered pistol (such as a Thompson Contender, etc) makes the weapon illegal also.
It is also important to remember that a basic premise of the US constitution is that states may make laws that are MORE restrictive than federal law but NOT LESS restrictive than federal law. It is illegal, federally to possess any SBR without a federal permit (ie-tax stamp). “

So my take away is if one could build a rifle over 26” in length they could the possess a rifle with shorter barrel
HAHA....

Did you call the ATF yet ? Don't be afraid to find the real answer to your question .

my brother was a DA in NY, he said dont get caught there is no wiggle room plea bargaining down with illegal features

this was a few years ago...but its only gotten more strict with the last passing

no barrels shorter than 16" (you should actually go 16.25" so there is no debate if questions arise
now a barrel is not defined as rifled all the way down
you can have a 12" barrel with a "fake suppressor" that is pinned/welded/ non removable for a total of 16"

shoot someone in your house with a 30rd mag and a 12" with removable pipe up front...your in serious trouble before you get to the shooting part

all cops are "cool with it" until they follow the law and your LE best friend got 2 phone calls about a scary rifle and noise and has to do his job

or until the game warden/ DEC walks on your property legally with out consent because of call ins "cause"

inside the home not without consent (unless something is serious going on), but property..if they have probable cause they can walk into your back yard.

now you may sue law enforcement and such and you'll loose, unless the guy just jumped a fence for no reason while you were cleaning it after a range day that wanst on premises

but they have you with a 12" rifle...you have problems

no matter how stupid we think it is or how unjust laws are, there are consequences that you may or may not agree with

local sheriff, local beat cop, state cop, friend who was a cop... dont take their advice as gospel

the judge and DA dont care "but the cop said", its the law and they prosecute and sentence to the law

waiting for all the guys to jump in and tell me hes wrong...he was the prosecutor for a decade not the defense lawyer