• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar-17 tips/tricks and ammo recommendations?

Gents,
Acquring a Scar-17 and was wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks to make it a better rifle. I know it's not a precision rifle and I don't expect it to, but just wondering what sorts of mods and maybe what ammo you've found that it likes.
Thanks

Hi gunsmithcat,

I've had my Scar 17s for about 4 years now. While is not the most accurate of my 7.62x51's, its plenty accurate and it's a blast to shoot. The only changes I've made to it were installing a Geissele Super Scar trigger and swapping the lower for a Handl Defense lower so it'll take Pmag's. Nothing against the oem lower but I already had dozens of pmags on hand and at the time and scar 17 mags were as common as unicorn tears. The rifle has run flawlessly with zero malfunctions. My only complaint with the Handl Defense lower is that it fits really tight where it mates with the stock. Other than that, it runs the pmags nicely. The glass I have for it is an Elcan Specter DR 1/6x. It's been very happy on a diet of 175 gr SMK, 42.8 gr 4064, CCI 34

Old thread, but I’ll play. My 17 is a 3/4-1 inch MOA gun.Once the ACOG was sighted in, I’ve never had to touch it. I only shoot it weekly, so maybe if someone else was paying for MY ammo, I might get high enough round counts to have to re-zero. I only know a couple of other SCAR 17, but their experience seems to have mirrored mine.

AR10’s, even in 2020, have a reputation for persistent problems. They are also heavy as hell. But, the nice thing about it is that we Americans( in Free States) can choose the platform that floats our boat. As long as nobody is coming to my house to force someone else’s preference on me, I’ll be happy.