• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR MK20S Limited Release

Just read a review on the 20S that was showing accuracy of about 0.6-0.7 MOA. Very nice...

Got a call into FN to see about LEO/Military pricing. Likely I won't be able to disclose the price, but given their prior pricing on their products, it will be a good deal.

I've been seeing them on GunBroker with bids starting at $4,000.

R,
jmw

Mines here! It was $3995 from Europtics. I highly recommend them if they have any left. I have always received Outstanding service from them.
20181106_153833.jpg

Reactions: PBWalsh
First things noticed are that comes with one 10rd mag. No issue for me since I already have others. Best thing is that it comes with a Geisselle super SCAR Trigger. The Geisselle is a $400 option I've added to my other SCAR'S so really at $3995 this rifle isnt much more than a std SCAR with a Geisselle added. Hope to have a shooting report later this evening........

I put a Nightforce 3.5-15 NXS on mine for now. I almost think the mount is more important. I went with a SPUHR. I had issues with another scope in a Larue LT111. I think a stiffer mount is called for with the Scars Aluminum receiver and heavy bolt carrier. You couldn't Pay me to take anything from Stryker Enterprises.

I just saw Tim Kennedy’s review of the 20S on Instagram. He was sent one to test and make a video but said it’s the most accurate gas gun he’s ever shot and that if they want it back then they’ll have to physically come and take it from him. ?‍♂️

OK, I am getting conflicting reports, so if anyone actually HAS YOUR HANDS ON ONE, please comment. I have NOT been able to get my hands on one yet.

CHARGING HANDLE
Does the SCAR 20 have the same reciprocating charging handle as the SCAR 17?
Looking at pics, it appears that is the case, but people have tried to tell me that it is NOT the case.
If it does, per the earlier comments, it is something that you really need to be aware of.

UPPER RECEIVER DESIGN
This is going to take some serious knowledge or experience to answer this one, but did they make any changes to the Upper Receiver between the Mil MK20 and the Civilian SCAR 20?
I suspect the answer is NO, and if that is the case, it once again is an issue that people need to be aware of. People need to be aware of it because of the previously mentioned issues with optics and accessories. There is the recoil/return to battery forces (recognized by NSW/Crane), but IMHO there is also another issue. If you have been around one being shot, the Upper Receiver can "sing like a tuning fork".
Listen closely in this video and you will hear it:

It vibrates and resonates, which IMHO can also cause issues with things that are mounted to the Upper. I suspect that the longer design of the SCAR 20 forend, may amplify this even more.

Any feedback on those SCAR 20 design elements would be greatly appreciated!

*EDIT
Per the pic below, taken from FN's website.
Charging Handle - looks the exact same.
Upper Receiver - interestingly, the SCAR 20 has 2 additional screws/bolts right behind the gas block in the Upper Receiver that the MK 20 does NOT have. Not sure what the story is on this?
Slide3.JPG

Last edited:
I could be wrong but that sound just like a open prong flash hider.

You may well be correct on that real high pitched ring.

Between shooting with ear pro on, and having the muzzle blast, it is hard to catch/notice the sound. I have only noticed it on videos, never first hand actually shooting one.

I know the upper vibrates/resonates, how much of that you can actually here, I am not sure? I would suspect that any change in setup, could change how much it does or does not resonate.

Just went through some old training pics from about 4-5 years ago, and confirmed that the older MK 20s did NOT have those 2 screws
MK20-2.jpg

MK20-3a.jpg

Oh no, you called it on the fucking ring. Any 3 tine FH will do that if the tines are identical in length and mass. It's why the Sico Trifecta is made like it is. It's why I liquidated all the AAC 3 tine flash hiders I had. I HATE it.

I was looking at this rifle. When I bought my SR25 almost 3 years now, I was considering this along with a few other quality .308 semi's. Didn't wanna fuck with building one, wanted a quality one out of the box. KAC is who I like, but I gave everyone a chance. FN would sell me the MK20 when it came out around Christmas (of 2015?). I'd just lost out waiting on a group buy for the URX3 SR25's so I wasn't waiting on anyone else.

With it basically being an SCAR with a Geissele trigger, and considering how rough they are on optics (turns out that's true) I don't see much more than a badass SDM rifle.

FWIW, Quantico (for some reason they changed their name to "Proven Arms and Outfitters") is taking pre-orders for $3800. They do military and vet discounts too.

With the military account at KAC I got my rifle for probably that, maybe less. I'd really like to have this rifle, it is cool and it'd be nice to have something other than a vault full of fucking AR's, but honestly I need optics more than rifles right now, save the .338 LM. And if I bought this rifle, it'd just be half the price once the optics and PEQ and shit is all accounted for. Besides, if I got anything, I'd probably be best served with a 6.5CM KAC upper.

Good luck with it guys! Wanna say there's another one too, the CSS? Are they not releasing both? When I talked to them way back when, I thought both were going to be made available. Can't remember which is which, one is just an SCAR with some upgrades, the other one had a bit more going on as I recall.

. . . Wanna say there's another one too, the CSS? Are they not releasing both? When I talked to them way back when, I thought both were going to be made available. Can't remember which is which, one is just an SCAR with some upgrades, the other one had a bit more going on as I recall.

Maybe you mean the CSR? (basically a compact version)

Back to my previous question on the CHARGING HANDLE. Can anyone advise if the one on the SCAR 20 reciprocates, or if it can be locked forward? My last conversation with a FN rep was that they were going to make that change, but I have not personally seen it yet.

Maybe you mean the CSR? (basically a compact version)

Back to my previous question on the CHARGING HANDLE. Can anyone advise if the one on the SCAR 20 reciprocates, or if it can be locked forward? My last conversation with a FN rep was that they were going to make that change, but I have not personally seen it yet.

That could be it, I thought it was CSS though. It was a few years ago, maybe they made changes? I understand SF wasn't interested in one of the two and maybe that's why they dropped it. I really don't know. I just considered them along with HK and GAP and Larue before going with the KAC.

Everything I read seems to indicate a non-reciprocating CH.

That could be it, I thought it was CSS though. It was a few years ago, maybe they made changes? I understand SF wasn't interested in one of the two and maybe that's why they dropped it. I really don't know. I just considered them along with HK and GAP and Larue before going with the KAC.

Everything I read seems to indicate a non-reciprocating CH.

My Civilian SCAR 20s has the exact same charging handle as my other SCAR 17's. Probably the exact same one as the SCAR 16 too, I haven't tried swapping them out yet. The bolt handle reciprocates exactly like every other SCAR. The ringing is from the 3 prong flash hider. I'll be changing it out as soon as my Can gets off hold.

Another quick note is that the Barrel has a 1/12 twist. Mine doesn't care for 178gr A-Max's likely due to the slower twist rate. I'm going to try 168's next. If you are dead set on shooting heavier bullets in 308 it might not be the twist rate you want.......

I find the 1/12 twist an odd choice. I saw FN comment that they stuck with 1/12 because it's what they delivered to the Military.
But having a such a marginal twist rate for 175gr+ match ammo. and at that price point, takes it out the running to me.

Reactions: Strykervet
The FN SPR was also a 1:12. I never had stability issues shooting 175s. Just because it doesn't like 1 178gr bullet, doesn't mean it wont like others.

Reactions: djpaintles
It obviously depends on where you are shooting. At higher altitudes and warmer temps it's going to run those long pills better, than it would at sea level and <32F for me.

Mine does seem to prefer the 168's. Tonight it was tending towards 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with them. In all honesty right now I'm wondering which shots are my fault and which are the rifles. I did have some bug hole groups with the 168's with maybe 1 out of a 5 shot group drifting out of the same hole. More to follow..........

Cool rifle guys. Don’t listen to the i can build 3 ar-10s for the money haters opinion influence your decision. The ar10/sr25 are not even close to a similar design. Cost wise for performance I can understand weighing different systems. Isn’t that honestly the deal different systems and devaluation after use. As far as the Bren 308 is concerned that is marketed to directly compete with the scar 17 not the mk20. I almost bought 5400 package one just to resell on gunbroker and I would have gotten to play for a bit without shooting it. Try finding a new scar 17 for under 2600 lately the value the system holds can’t be ignored even if it needs a redesign might be nesscary to improve it. FN might be overpriced but I still want a mk20 and para 249s for cool factor. Honestly guys it’s not marketed as a 1/2 moa gun. Most of us will never push the system as hard as special operations operators do operating operationally(lol). As far as the sr 25 is concerned plenty of gun of data from the operators saying their particular issued rifles had issues that needed addressed before being deployed. That doesn’t mean all sr-25s are bad or all mk20s just those particular rifles needed maintence work. Built ar10s are the same way there is no magic formula you have to assemble it, shoot it and adjust/fix. Plus their resell value is plain deplorable and all the maintence is on you no manufacture to back you up.

Cool rifle guys. Don’t listen to the i can build 3 ar-10s for the money haters opinion influence your decision. The ar10/sr25 are not even close to a similar design. Cost wise for performance I can understand weighing different systems. Isn’t that honestly the deal different systems and devaluation after use. As far as the Bren 308 is concerned that is marketed to directly compete with the scar 17 not the mk20. I almost bought 5400 package one just to resell on gunbroker and I would have gotten to play for a bit without shooting it. Try finding a new scar 17 for under 2600 lately the value the system holds can’t be ignored even if it needs a redesign might be nesscary to improve it. FN might be overpriced but I still want a mk20 and para 249s for cool factor. Honestly guys it’s not marketed as a 1/2 moa gun. Most of us will never push the system as hard as special operations operators do operating operationally(lol). As far as the sr 25 is concerned plenty of gun of data from the operators saying their particular issued rifles had issues that needed addressed before being deployed. That doesn’t mean all sr-25s are bad or all mk20s just those particular rifles needed maintence work. Built ar10s are the same way there is no magic formula you have to assemble it, shoot it and adjust/fix. Plus their resell value is plain deplorable and all the maintence is on you no manufacture to back you up.
Couldn’t agree more

Mine is on its way to me. I'll post a report when I have the time to go out and give it a good testing. Going to some training with the 20S would be perfect - maybe I can arrange something...

R,
jmw

I took mine home last night. Hoping to get to the range this weekend. Can't say much beyond, appears to be built as well as my other SCARs. I need to get another ASR brake so I can mount up my Saker. I might just pull the FH and go direct thread in the interim. I have a Vortex Razor HD G2 4.5-27x that I'll likely move over to this gun. The barrel has a significantly thicker profile than the 17 barrels.

As far as worth the money? I doubt I'll regret it. My brother has significant trigger time with the MK17, and MK20. No issues that he's personally experienced. Guns just run.

The scar 17 is an amazing and very accurate rifle for what it is, so accurate that it's makes you scratch your head considering all the things it has that we think cause in-accuracy. Chrome lined barrel, piston gas system...etc.. but with hand loads I can shoot 0.4s most of the time and with FGGM 175 my gun always shoots under 1 MOA. All that said I have been waiting for the 20 for a long time but wonder if it could shoot any better that my 17. Full disclosure the 17 does eat good optics and I have had several problems with it doing so, not sure if the 20 would be any better and for how much more???

Attachments

• DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 155
I've been contemplating picking up a 20S. If I do I'll probably pick up a S&B Ultra Bright 4-16 or 3-12 in Pantone, I think it would be a great match for the rifle.

Reactions: Sako man
Man reading all this I'm glad I put in to win the 1 Classic firearms is giving away

It gets my freedom dick harder than the hammers of hell, I'll probably buy one if they fix the charging handle and offer it in 6.5C.
You can get a 6.5cm spun up for your 17 or this. There is nothing wrong with the receipt charging handle and there are like 10 different angled afternarket ones you can choose from. It's a non issue.

https://deadshotbarrels.com/scar-rebarreling

Yea that video is pretty underwhelming in the reality department.

I was looking at Deadshot earlier today, funny you mention them. Very promising options, I need to search out some owners and get their feedback. I think we'd still all rather save our loot and buy it configured from FN, but it's nice to see the AR-esque modularity criteria getting reinforced for us civvies. I kind of doubt that the accuracy is really up to par to warrant the longer range specialization, but BC and range are certainly limits to be pushed with an "SSR" I think.

As far as the charging handle I didn't know it was ambi switchable now, and apparently, it's a SOCOM qualification point to have a forward assist. Whether I think FN's solution to that function should be a recip. during firing CH is still on my table, but at least if I switch the side it's on then I can manage a bolt hold open. I do worry about clearance with scope/dot mounts when manipulating the CH, seems a few mounts might lead to busted knuckles.

With four grand there's a lot of options open to the consumer, I think a big guideline for some folks is what they would change after purchase and the resulting cost. Honestly, I could live with 308 out of the gate for a few years, but in any case, I'm still waiting until there are more 20S in the wild to see how they get along with folks before I snatch one.

I find the 1/12 twist an odd choice. I saw FN comment that they stuck with 1/12 because it's what they delivered to the Military.
But having a such a marginal twist rate for 175gr+ match ammo. and at that price point, takes it out the running to me.

The 1:12 twist rate really isn't an issue for most conventional .308 loads. I've shot a FN SPR 24" barrel quite a bit and I never noticed any issues with bullet stability out at range. It think the quicker twist rates (1:11, 1:10) are relevant if you plan on going with a sub 20" barrel or you plan on going with the very heavy .308 loads (185gr type).

With 20" of barrel, not to mention its track record out in the field, I really don't think the Scar 20 will have any issues due to the twist rate.

The scar 17 is an amazing and very accurate rifle for what it is, so accurate that it's makes you scratch your head considering all the things it has that we think cause in-accuracy. Chrome lined barrel, piston gas system...etc.. but with hand loads I can shoot 0.4s most of the time and with FGGM 175 my gun always shoots under 1 MOA.

I don't really get why people associate chrome-lined barrels with degraded accuracy. Chrome-lining has little to no impact on accuracy so long as the manufacturing processes are done correctly. FNH has plenty of experience with chrome-lining. The military branches prefer chrome-lining for the maintenance and longevity advantages it offers; and frankly, so do I given how humid and wet the northeast is.

I've been working on load development for this rifle and from my experience, the available load date that's out there is better suited for bolt guns. Most of the published data from powder & bullet manufacturers does not mention a 20" barreled gas gun. My rifle in particular does very well with 150 SMK, Hornady 155 HPBT Match & 168 gr SMK bullet weights. Been working with AR-Comp and have tried the traditional .308 powders like IMR4064, IMR 4895 and also Match Rifle, all with medium burn rates. Thus far, AR-Comp has been the most promising in terns of results.
I looked through the Operators Manual for the SCAR MK17 and in the tables for ammunition, it lists M80 ball and M188LR as the issued ammo. For those that have deployed with the MK20, can you recall which type of ammo was used and what were the results in terms of accuracy?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.08.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.08.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: cobra655
Start lower in your charge weights, you need to consider port pressure or risk overgassing the system. None of my bolt loads worked well for my 20S for this reason and others. Glen Zediker goes into detail in his book and in the Midsouth Shooters Blog, he covers loading for gas guns.
http://www.mssblog.com/tag/glen-zediker/page/6/
Scroll down to the article titled:
"Pressure curves and port pressure"
This should give you a primer on some of the considerations (there are many) for gas guns.
Be safe.

The little I have shot mine so far, I'm seeing roughly .5-.7 with 316 at 100m.
My Navy SSR clone
20190530_164309.jpg
7zlsjpN.jpg

in case it isn't posted elsewhere already, parker mountain (pmm) makes replacement jets in whatever size you want, for 8-10 bucks.
if you want to be able to adjust the baseline amount of gas allowed to match certain loads you're making, you can get a few sizes and see which ones run best with or without a suppressor.

Anyone see this posted recently? Looks like they're actually coming this time...maybe:

http://www.recoilweb.com/fn-to-release-limited-edition-scar-20s-kits-142572.html#ixzz5ShJNvucq
https://fnamerica.com/wp-content/up...imited_Edition_sellsheets_with_order_form.pdf

Love my 17S , but I can't see the extra money for bragging rights.

Limited to 200 at $5,499 with what seems to be a pretty stocked kit. Doubt they'll last long but is anyone considering one or have any experience with one? I wasn't terribly impressed when handling one at SHOT compared to the SR25 but haven't shot one.

So it's worth $2500 more with a plastic case and a cleaning kit?

I'd still love one though, just can't find the coin for it right now and I'd rather have a 6.5CM anyway. Now if it comes in that with the hammer forged sub MOA barrel, I may have to make it happen.

Reactions: theLBC
So it's worth $2500 more with a plastic case and a cleaning kit?

I'd still love one though, just can't find the coin for it right now and I'd rather have a 6.5CM anyway. Now if it comes in that with the hammer forged sub MOA barrel, I may have to make it happen.

it is crazy pricing, but the package was only $1000 more than the Scar 20S by itself (list price).
it seems outrageous, but all the things in the package, if bought separately online would cost about $1500, if you were inclined to spend over $600 on a SKB 3i-5616-9 Custom Foam Case, or $250 for the FN Field Kit (for example).

there are a couple 6.5 CM fitted 20S rifles already, and current .308 owners already report sub moa accuracy with the right ammo.

/not trying to talk anyone into thinking it is worth it, but it would be great to have more serious shooters using the platform.