• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope and rail are too close, problem?

LongRange98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2022
California
Hello all! ,I mounted a Zeiss V4 to my ext mountain tactical rail but the objective comes bloody close to the rail. I Filed off some material so I’m able to get a thick sheet of paper through. Is that good enough? Or will the recoil cause them to touch? Cartridge is .308, thank you.

Attachments

• B4E45A7E-5B68-474D-8735-3920B1D52BAF.jpeg
    B4E45A7E-5B68-474D-8735-3920B1D52BAF.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 3699BF17-E78A-425B-84F9-EC5BA9EA5A5D.jpeg
    3699BF17-E78A-425B-84F9-EC5BA9EA5A5D.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 1204F085-455A-4F39-86DB-551BA532930A.jpeg
    1204F085-455A-4F39-86DB-551BA532930A.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: stanley_white
ours is like that and while it all works fine I do notice as the barrel heats up I do see more and more mirage through the scope you could add a heat shield or what ever they are called . to deflect the hot air rising into the view of the scope or you could shoot slower and keep the barrel from heating up pretty much at all .

Reactions: LongRange98
You'll probably be ok with that clearance. Keep an eye on it for any signs of contact, in which case plan b is to cut the front portion of the rail off and slide the scope back a little more in the rings for some extra space.
That’s good to hear! I’ll keep an eye on it for any contact.

ours is like that and while it all works fine I do notice as the barrel heats up I do see more and more mirage through the scope you could add a heat shield or what ever they are called . to deflect the hot air rising into the view of the scope or you could shoot slower and keep the barrel from heating up pretty much at all .
I didint think of that. Did you end up getting a part or making something to help?

Reactions: acudaowner
I didint think of that. Did you end up getting a part or making something to help?
Mirage can be an issue if your scope objective is close to your barrel. Not your scope near the mount that you are asking about. Your objective is a good ways off the barrel. If you are concerned with the mount then cut the last rail section off as mentioned and you can grind down the back near the power ring. You shouldn't have an issue though with either. Here is one of my rifles and no issues.

IMG_3003.JPG

Mirage can be an issue if your scope objective is close to your barrel. Not your scope near the mount that you are asking about. Your objective is a good ways off the barrel. If you are concerned with the mount then cut the last rail section off as mentioned and you can grind down the back near the power ring. You shouldn't have an issue though with either. Here is one of my rifles and no issues.

View attachment 7963552
At least mine isn't the only one, Thanks for sharing and the info!

That is not even close IMHO. My 300WM can barely get a cleaning Rem wipe under it. Just barely and zero issues. You will be fine.

PB